Dead Rising General Game/Demo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Dante Devil']I was not sure about purchasing Dead Rising, but the Demo has got me thinking about picking this up on its release date.

I like this better than Saints Row and Ninety Nine Nights.[/QUOTE]

ageed. DR is the main highlight of all the Demos out now on XBL.

[quote name='Roufuss']Awesome... the spitfire is bad ass.

Anyone jumped on a zombie's shoulders and walked over the crowd? That's awesome too.[/quote]

I have a hard time getting it to work. Some times I just jump at them and land right in their awaiting maw.

You can also use the benchs as weapons. :lol:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']ageed. DR is the main highlight of all the Demos out now on XBL.[/QUOTE]

Its good, but Saint's Row IMO has more replayabilty for a demo.

I was looking forward to Saints Row much more than Dead Rising. After playing both demos, I have to say that Dead Rising seems like a much better game. In all likelihood, I'll be picking up Dead Rising on day one.

[quote name='rabbitt']Hmm. It seems that some of the boxes' items could be random.

EDIT:

Recipe list

Untouchable Drink (grants invulnerablility briefly/red) - orange juice+pie; orange juice+sandwich; pie+sandwich; 2 pies; 2 sandwiches.

Nectar Drink (heals full health/yellow) - orange juice+baking ingredients; orange juice+condiments; 2 orange juice.

Randomizer (sucks/black) - cooking oil+sandwich; cooking oil+pie; cooking oil+orange juice.

Spitfire (spits fire/blue) - cooking oil+condiment; cooking oil+baking ingredients; pie+baking ingredients; pie+condiments; baking ingredients+condiment; baking ingredients+sandwich; condiment+sandwich; 2 condiments; 2 cooking oils; 2 baking ingredients.

Zombait (attracts zombies/pink) - Untouchable Drink+Spitfire Drink

Energizer (supercharges you/green) - Zombait Drink+Randomizer Drink[/QUOTE]

i've tried the Spitfire before, is Frank suppose to actually spit out fire? cause when i did it was just regular spit that did a little bit more damage than plates/cds/etc.

and the Energizer drink, what does it exactly do? make you run/punch/jump faster?

nice finds btw.

[quote name='RonnieWrecked']i've tried the Spitfire before, is Frank suppose to actually spit out fire? cause when i did it was just regular spit that did a little bit more damage than plates/cds/etc.
.[/QUOTE]

The spitfire makes your spit kills zombies in 1 - 2 hits.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm just surprised that people have a hard time basing their decision off a demo... its the next best thign to having the game really.[/QUOTE]

Well, the reason I'm having a hard time is because I don't know how the game's progression is going to work. I know there's the 72 hour thing, but I don't know how it's going to play out. I'm going to buy this the day it comes out though because honestly, after getting the skateboard and killing zombies while riding on it, killing zombies with a shopping cart, grabbing a guitar (AKA: the ax) and killing zombies, and a lot of other stuff, there's no way I can doubt the sheer coolness of the game.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Its good, but Saint's Row IMO has more replayabilty for a demo.[/QUOTE]

Saint's Row was good and I've played it a couple of times, but the DR demo has some many different ways to kill the zombie hordes. You can shoot em, hit em with a frying pan, run them over with a shopping cart, baton them, melt their face with a hot pan, smash em with a sledge hammer. If the demo can give you so many ways to destory the living dead, then I imagine that the actual game will have that an more in spades.

[quote name='Roufuss']Why would people hold off? From the last paragraph of the review:

Sounds to me the reviewer really dug it and encourages people to buy this game as well. The only people this review would "turn off" are idiots who just look at the score.[/QUOTE]

Actually with that logic, The only people this review would "turn on" are idiots who just look at the last paragraph.

[quote name='Zoglog']Actually with that logic, The only people this review would "turn on" are idiots who just look at the last paragraph.[/QUOTE]

he really didn't say anything that bad about it. even says that it transcends its flaws. unless the character models are that important. the whole "xbox 1.5" shtick is oooooolldddddd though. there are like 200 zombies on the screen at once. they aren't all going to have visible pores and skin that reacts to their facial movements.

I have to say, I look forward to playing through missions a few times. Every time I've played the demo, I've played it differently. If there's as much to do in each area as there is in the demo, this gonna be one hell of a game.

I played the game for about 30min and pretty much gave up on it until I read all the stuff you could do that I was unware of. I'm going to keep my preorder at GR and pick this up whenever it is that they decide to get them in.

Here are the books I found available in the demo. There are two book stores in the area open in the game, the first Contemporary Reading is just to back a little to the left of where you start across the hall. The other is Bachman's Bookporium and it is on the lower level almost directly below Columbia Roastmasters.

Contemporary Reading holds the following books.

Weekly Photo Magazine-
Get visual cues to indicate prime photo timing.

Book: Sports-
Hold onto sporting goods three times as long.

Book: Hobby-
Hold onto toys three times as long.

Book: Camera 1-
Get a 25% boost to PP resulting from photos.

Bachman's Bookporium

Book: Entertainment-
Hold entertainment items three times as long.

Book: Engineering-
Hold tools & construction equipment three times as long.

Book: Interior Design-
Hold interior design items three times as long.

Book: Horror Novel 2-
Get a 25% boost to PP resulting from defeating zombies.

so does the game constantly generate zombies or is there a set number?

[quote name='Apossum']so does the game constantly generate zombies or is there a set number?[/quote]

It seems like the just respawn after you wander far enough away.

Played the demo and immediately went up and reserved a copy at eb games. i got a t-shirt and a map of the mall like the brochures that you can get at a real mall. it's pretty sweet.

[quote name='Kayden']It seems like the just respawn after you wander far enough away.[/QUOTE]

Which is a shame because a "rid the mall of zombies" achievement sounds like something that could be cool.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Don't forget this:

KILL ZOMBIES WITH A LAWNMOWER, AND WATCH THEIR ZOMBIE REMAINS SHOOT OUT THE SIDE.

That right there is worth $60.[/quote]

Man talk about easily pleased with their video games. This game is going to be very very repetitive. It's is so basic it's unbelievable. You can talk all you want about different weapons doing different things but the fact is you are doing the same thing over and over. Bargain bin pick up for me. Not worth $60 or anywhere close to it.

[quote name='schuerm26']Man talk about easily pleased with their video games. This game is going to be very very repetitive. It's is so basic it's unbelievable. You can talk all you want about different weapons doing different things but the fact is you are doing the same thing over and over. Bargain bin pick up for me. Not worth $60 or anywhere close to it.[/QUOTE]

Every game is repetitive, how about sports games such as madden that millions of people buy year after year? How about final Fantasy? Walk walk RANDOM BATTLE! walk walk talk walk walk RANDOM BATTLE! etc. Easily pleased? I think not.

[quote name='schuerm26']This game is going to be very very repetitive.[/quote]

This coming from a guy who talks about how great NCAA 07 and MLB 06 The Show are..

Why are you getting upset? It is repetitive. Just because this is repetitive doesn't mean Madden and NCAA aren't (though this to me is much more repetitve).

Only so many ways to kill a zombie over and over. Madden and NCAA have a lot more replayability also great online play. Have you even played MLB THe Show?

[quote name='schuerm26']
Only so many ways to kill a zombie over and over. [/quote]

Read a preview, check out the cutscenes that end the demo... killing zombies is just part of a greater whole. It's also about rescuing civlians, taking good pictures, exploring the mall, doing main and side quests (cases), fighting things other than zombies (I won't spoil that for anyone).

The game will be alot different from the demo, in the game you won't really have the time to just go around beating the crap out of zombies... you'll basacially be mowing them down to get from point a to point b while trying to accomplish an objective.

The demo may seem repetitive to some but that's because the demo has no real goal... the full game will have plenty of goals.

Don't get me wrong ill give it a chance (reviews with an open mind). Im just not impressed by the demo. If i remember correctly there was tons of hype about State of Emergency also and look how that turned out. This seems kind of similar just a next generation one.

[quote name='schuerm26']Why are you getting upset?[/QUOTE]

Because instead of stating your opinion backed up by observation and fact, you quoted another guy and gave what amounts to a light insult. It was clear cut thread crapping, a practice greatly frowned upon in these parts.

[quote name='schuerm26']Don't get me wrong ill give it a chance (reviews with an open mind). Im just not impressed by the demo. If i remember correctly there was tons of hype about State of Emergency also and look how that turned out. This seems kind of similar just a next generation one.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea how many times I have to post this quote from a goon from SA.

It basically sums up how I feel about the SoE/Dead Rising arguement.

[quote name='Dominic White']
I'm baffled by the number of people drawing State of Emergency comparisons here. Seriously, you're comparing a quickly-developed 'cash in on the controversy bandwagon' game by a second-rate Rockstar splinter team to a Capcom-developed zombie game that has been in development since the moment the 360 was displayed to the public, let alone released.

I mean, I could understand the cynicism if this game had just come out of the blue, and was from some team we'd never heard of, but this has been in development a year and a half at least, and is from the guys who not only invented the scrolling brawler (both old and new) but pretty much every good zombie game ever made too.
[/quote]

Found some more easter eggs while combing the GFAQs board:

Secrets:
* Go upstairs into Colombian roasters. And jump over the balcony right by the cash registers. You will fall onto a red awning that has a Katana atop it (Credit goes to wwesniper for this info)
* If you keep going straight and go up to the first flight of stairs, jump to the blue railing to the right, keep following the railing path until you find a SMG!
* Take a picture of the Clock with the seagull on top of it for major Prestige Points!
* Take a picture of the cardboard woman in the bikini and get Prestige Points!
* In the Child's Play store, you can hit the Serv-Bot, keep hitting the serv-bot either by using a weapon or jump-kicking it until the swirled eyes and the sad mouth are perfectly aligned for 10,000 Prestige Points!
* If you go to Jill's Sandwiches and collect a Condiment and Baking Ingredients, then go to the 2nd floor restaurant and put it in the blender, then a Spitfire juice will pop out of the blender, drink it, then when you have no weapons you can throw spit at the Zombies which can kill them in 1-2 Hits!

[quote name='CheapyD']There is no JPN version until later this year.
This review sounds like he just played the demo and read the 1UP review and re-wrote it![/QUOTE]

hmmm, my fault for not actually taking the time to read the review yet.

Here's a good guide that Enema Psycho put together over at Something Awful Forums.

[quote name='kylej']
Demo Guide (by Enema Psycho)

Here's what's been found so far:

DEMO END:

Leisure Park = cutscene, demo end
Colby's Movieland = cutscene, demo end
7:00PM (night) = cutscene, demo end
Entrance Plaza = cutscene, demo end
Re-entering the Warehouse = cutscene, demo end

SKILLS:

JUMP KICK: Allows kicking during a jump. Press X in mid-jump.
ZOMBIE RIDE: Allows you to climb and ride zombies. Press A while pushing the Left Thumbstick towards a stationary zombie.
KICK BACK: Allows you to kick away from a zombie that has grabbed you. Repeatedly push the Left Thumbstick in the direction Frank is facing to deliver a kick to the attacker.
FLYING DODGE: Ultimate evasion skill. Push the Left Thumbstick twice in rapid succession to throw yourself in that direction. You are invincible dring the beginning, but at the end you will be open to attack for a moment.

TIPS:
  • Stay away from the GameFAQS Dead Rising board :nms:
  • If you need food, go to Jill's Sandwiches or Colombian Roastmasters.
  • Skateboards can be found on the upper level of SporTrance!
  • To spit on zombies, go to Aim mode without a weapon equipped and press X.
  • There is a Katana on the awning under Colombian Roastmasters. You have to jump out the window to get it. [sub]CREDIT TO DOG JONES.[/sub]
  • Press "Start" to skip opening cinematic (we'll be watching it a lot :argh: so I figured this tip would help) [sub]CREDIT TO STOO.[/sub]
  • PP stands for Prestige Points. They are awarded when you kill zombies, perform tasks, or take photos. They help in leveling up.
  • Using a Frying Pan on the stove gives a PP Bonus (2,000 I think).
  • Throwing a Hunting Knife (some zombies carry them) and hitting a zombie in the head gives a PP Bonus. [sub]CREDIT TO STOO[/sub] (Stoo, how much of a bonus?)
  • Using a Water Gun to rotate the top of giant Servbot's head around so the eyes match the mouths gives a 10,000 PP Bonus. [sub]CREDIT TO ICEDUDE AND SUGAR BLASTER[/sub]
  • Running through a crowd of zombies while certain weapons are equipped (Hammer, Hunting Knife, etc.) will cause Frank to fend off attacks *SOMETIMES* [sub]CREDIT TO TUFTY[/sub]
  • Killing a zombie with your fists or a bowling ball gives a small PP bonus. [sub]CREDIT TO INFESTASYDE[/sub]
  • Walk half way up the stairs directly in front of you as you start the demo, then turn around and jump on to the blue ledge above a shop (Kids' Choice Clothing). Jump across the rest of the ledges and a sub-machine gun (100 bullets) will be on the last ledge. [sub]CREDIT TO LOCKSMASH[/sub]
  • Books can be picked up and give various effects (Check the "Key Items" menu when you pick one up). [sub]CREDIT TO NACHOBOX, VILLE VALO, AND HELTER SKELTER[/sub]
  • You can disable the Tutorials (those screens that come up telling you how to escape from zombies and such, that no one can read anyway) in the Options menu. [sub]CREDIT TO LOBSTER HARMONICA[/sub]
  • Zombies wearing hard hats are immune to headshots and head smashes. [sub]CREDIT TO KAIJU[/sub]
  • When you change clothes, you can change back to what you were wearing before by going to the same spot and pressing B.
  • The contents of cardboard boxes change from game to game. What once held a Cleaver might now hold a Baguette.
  • Some of the zombie cops near the doors to Leisure Park have Handguns. [sub]CREDIT TO DOG JONES.[/sub]

FOOD:

ALL BELOW ITEMS COMBINED IN THE BLENDER IN COLOMBIAN ROASTMASTERS FOR DESIRED RESULT (HUGE CREDIT TO ICEDUDE FOR THE CHART)

ZOMBAIT - Makes zombies start chasing Frank from longer distances.
    NECTAR - Completely heals Frank. Other effects currently unknown.
    SPITFIRE - Makes spitting REALLY powerful.
    UNTOUCHABLE - Heals Frank and makes him invincible.
    RANDOMIZER - Makes Frank sick by itself, or combine with another food to make a drink.
    QUICKSTEP - Makes Frank run faster. Noted as Yellow on the chart.
    ENERGIZER - Completely heals Frank. Other effects currently unknown.

PHOTOS:

(snap a picture after completing below requirements)

OUTTAKE:
  • Burn a zombie's face with a hot frying pan.
  • Put a ServBot head on a zombie. [sub]CREDIT TO VEOTAX[/sub]
  • Stab a severed hand into a zombie's face. [sub]CREDIT TO VEOTAX[/sub]
  • Put Cooking Oil on the floor so zombies slip. [sub]CREDIT TO DOMINIC WHITE[/sub]
  • Find a zombie pushing a shopping cart. [sub]CREDIT TO HATPERSON[/sub]
  • Take the Condiments and splatter them on a zombie. [sub]CREDIT TO HATPERSON[/sub]
  • Throw a pie at a zombie's face so it sticks. [sub]CREDIT TO NICKUTZ[/sub]
  • Stick a hanger in a zombie's head. [sub]CREDIT TO TRASH HEAP[/sub]

EROTICA:
  • Taking a picture of a female zombie in a black dress with a good view of her tits. [sub]CREDIT TO LOCKSMASH[/sub]
  • Taking a photo of a female zombie in really skimpy clothes and fishnets. [sub]CREDIT TO KAIJU[/sub]
  • Make a female zombie fall over so you can see up her skirt. [sub]CREDIT TO DOMINIC WHITE[/sub]

BRUTALITY:
  • Find a zombie chewing on the severed arm item. [sub]CREDIT TO ICEDUDE[/sub]

NO CATEGORY GIVEN:
  • If you walk into a crowd of zombies, fire your shotgun, and quickly take a picture while the blood is still in the air you get a pretty good photo and PP bonus. [sub]CREDIT TO TOMAHAWK[/sub]
  • The cardboard cutout of the singer in Players gives a 900+ PP Bonus. [sub]CREDIT TO KNIVES OUT[/sub]

SPOILERS:

Looks like that bee in the warehouse was trying to either sting Frank.....or enter his mouth. Another possible enemy later on? I can just see Frank with a Tennis racket going after them :)
    :10bux: says Thomas misses with his rifle.

Edited map, as requested. Feel free to update!

If anyone else finds anything interesting, let us all know!
[/quote]

[quote name='rabbitt']Found some more easter eggs while combing the GFAQs board:

Secrets:
* Go upstairs into Colombian roasters. And jump over the balcony right by the cash registers. You will fall onto a red awning that has a Katana atop it (Credit goes to wwesniper for this info)
* If you keep going straight and go up to the first flight of stairs, jump to the blue railing to the right, keep following the railing path until you find a SMG!
* Take a picture of the Clock with the seagull on top of it for major Prestige Points!
* Take a picture of the cardboard woman in the bikini and get Prestige Points!
* In the Child's Play store, you can hit the Serv-Bot, keep hitting the serv-bot either by using a weapon or jump-kicking it until the swirled eyes and the sad mouth are perfectly aligned for 10,000 Prestige Points!
* If you go to Jill's Sandwiches and collect a Condiment and Baking Ingredients, then go to the 2nd floor restaurant and put it in the blender, then a Spitfire juice will pop out of the blender, drink it, then when you have no weapons you can throw spit at the Zombies which can kill them in 1-2 Hits!
[/quote]

That has to be the 45th time that's been posted in this thread.

[quote name='seanr1221']Can you buy them??[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure. I would imagine the official ones (and those made by Nyko) are floating around the internet somewhere. I checked www.nyko.com but could only find generic faceplates. I think some of those are user-made, though.

I think the repetition crap has to end. Some repetitive games: Geometry Wars, Tetris... what makes us keep playing? The endless ways of going about doing things and trying to win the game. Dead Rising is not that different considering you can do so much to save a person or whatever mission you go on in the game. If you think repetitive games are bad, then you have just been playing too much Dynasty Warriors I think.

[quote name='CrimGhost']Pretty much sums up the game well.

http://gamevideos.com/video/id/4937

Now go pre-order it and get the new Slayer album too.[/QUOTE]

wow. I'm glad I don't work at 1up after seeing that. Good review, though I am getting tired of reviewers being so damn nitpicky. I can understand as being a reviewer, but I think overall enjoyment has stronger affect on a person than specific enjoyment.

[quote name='Roufuss']Wednesday seems so far away.[/QUOTE]
what do you mean? doesn't it come out 8.8.06 aka this tuesday

[quote name='M1C13']what do you mean? doesn't it come out 8.8.06 aka this tuesday[/quote]

yeah but the shit wont hit the store until wed. or thurs.

It's not enough of a high profile game (like Halo or GTA) to get stores to same-day ship it, so it'll arrive in 95% of the stores Wednesday morning (the other five percent being those that live close to the warehouse its shipping from I guess)

I really think Tues. The trailer, the sears ad say in-store. It's rare for a dev to say an in-store day and be wrong like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back