Dead Space 2 PS3 Discussion - Out Now!

[quote name='Brainberry']I'm having a hard time deciding what game to play...Mass Effect 2 or Dead Space 2..........awesome games are awesome.[/QUOTE]

Good problem to have. :D

[quote name='The Ebbtide']
I literally got that last night on my last try before giving up (the try before I got it I survived with 49% shields remaining and found myself screaming at the Television - "1%!? C'mon!"). I really hope there aren't Trophies like that in 2.

Somehow hard core mode sounds easier than "Don't get cocky..."[/QUOTE]

i gave up a bunch of times with that one and only acheived it through luck and yes i really hope they dont have anything like that in ds2.

Hmm. I played through Ignition twice but the Hacker Suit isn't showing up as an option when I finally access the store/inventory. Am I missing something?

[quote name='woodcan']Anyone else get the CE? Got mine in today from the EA Store (even though I got my shipping notification last Thurs!) and the "replica plasma cutter" looks like it belonged to Isaac Clarke when he was 2 years old....the thing is tiny. When I got the package I thought for a second that the accidentally sent me the regular edition of the game. I have to say that the CE's these day's have really been a disappointment. It'd be nice if it at least came with a stand.

I'll have to wait for tonight to play it.[/QUOTE]

I agree! I just got home and saw the box and immediately a wave of disappointment took over. I knew that the plasma cutter was going to be shit. There was no way anything decent was coming in that box. And of course it was pretty shitty. But whatever I'm gonna get to the game tomorrow after work.

[quote name='johnnypark']Hmm. I played through Ignition twice but the Hacker Suit isn't showing up as an option when I finally access the store/inventory. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]
You have to find the schematic in a room that'll be specially marked, can't remember what it's called.

[quote name='lokizz']are the extra suit and gun you get with the ce any good?[/QUOTE]
God yes, the suit ups you to 15 inventory slots 15% Damage reduction and the Force Gun has been a lifesaver for me. I think I've been using it just as much or more than the Plasma Cutter.

[quote name='bmachine']Can't wait to get home from this goddamn business trip so I can play DS2![/QUOTE]

Randy, Randy... Shoulda taken that PS Triple with you, I know there's a TV in your hotel room. It's that good. I was about to go to sleep around 10pm, and just realized it's almost 1.

the hacker suit is a waste of 20k credits.

the dont get cocky trophy isnt anywhere NEAR hardcore mode. in the beginning you die in 1 hit... then have to watch the cut scenes all over again.

Anyone wanna create a dedicated multiplayer group? D: Im actually enjoying it. My PSN name is Starkadhr if anyone wants to.

I need a new router, it drops the connection constantly, but once I do I'll be down for some multiplayer. I want to get in on it while the game is fresh, I'm worried in a few months there won't be a lot of people playing it.

Only got about 30 minutes of playing time last night....after my son went to bed, wifey came home....turned out all the lights, plugged in the headphones....and jumped a couple of times. Loving it....

Anyone play extraction? I wanna know how fun it is without a move controller.

Also I don't understand why I have to install extraction and have the disk in to play it but I don't have to install Dead Space 2. Not complaining, just found it odd.

Either way loving Dead Space 2 a lot. It's so good.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']
I literally got that last night on my last try before giving up (the try before I got it I survived with 49% shields remaining and found myself screaming at the Television - "1%!? C'mon!"). I really hope there aren't Trophies like that in 2.

Somehow hard core mode sounds easier than "Don't get cocky..."[/QUOTE]

Funny because I stopped playing DS1 back in 10/2008 because of that part. Started it up again a few weeks ago and all of a sudden I failed miserably twice and then passed the part with 70% shields! Surprised the hell out of myself.

[quote name='johnnypark']Hmm. I played through Ignition twice but the Hacker Suit isn't showing up as an option when I finally access the store/inventory. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Zerok']You have to find the schematic in a room that'll be specially marked, can't remember what it's called.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember when I first started the game it popped up a message stating to look for the specially marked rooms for the schematics.

[quote name='johnnypark']I need a new router, it drops the connection constantly, but once I do I'll be down for some multiplayer. I want to get in on it while the game is fresh, I'm worried in a few months there won't be a lot of people playing it.[/QUOTE]

I thought this was my problem when I first got my PS3 a few years back but after research I found I had to turn off the media server option because it constantly disconnected me from PSN every time it pinged for the connection. Not sure if they ever resolved this since I never reactivated it but it's something cheap to try first :D

I tried Dead Space a couple years ago, but never got past the 6th or 7th level. I tried hard to like it, but I just lost interest. I never understand why people say the game, games now, is so good.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']I tried Dead Space a couple years ago, but never got past the 6th or 7th level. I tried hard to like it, but I just lost interest. I never understand why people say the game, games now, is so good.[/QUOTE]

I never understand why people say they don't understand why people like a certain game or why it was good. Maybe it is because we have not come to the iRobot or Matrix part of humanity yet and actually all have independent thoughts and tastes.

I mean, why do certain people favor FPS over RTS or American RPG over JRPG? Some people like Madden while others loathe it. I like GT5 while my friend prefers NFS:HP. To each his own, maybe you can expand your horizons enough to learn that others do not have on the same pair of glasses that you do.

Oh, and the game is great.

I never understand why people say they don't understand why people like a certain game or why it was good
Word, the man clearly doesn't know his Different Strokes: "What might be right for you may not be right for some" etc.

EDIT: one quick question:

I have yet to buy anything from the store, so I have over 100K credits saved up, is there anything worthwhile that you can get towards the end of the game or should I start cashing out on power nodes?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Organization_XIII']I tried Dead Space a couple years ago, but never got past the 6th or 7th level. I tried hard to like it, but I just lost interest. I never understand why people say the game, games now, is so good.[/QUOTE]

i love the games for a few reasons.

1. deadspace is real survival horror. it reminds me of what the re series used to be like and delivers in scares and very very tense moments. those moments where youve only got so much ammo and money so youre stuck trying to figure out what you need most or what will help you most.

2. the story and settings remind me alot of Event Horizon one of my favorite horror movies.

3. its a fun game thats challenging especially when you play it on harder difficulties. im not the best gamer on the planet but im pretty good and very few games really challenge me ds1 did and im sure ds2 will too.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Is there a new game+ in this game so then some things carry over?[/QUOTE]

yes, there is no way you can fully upgraded 4 weapons in 1 play through.

new game + doesnt work on hardcore mode however.

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages']I have yet to buy anything from the store, so I have over 100K credits saved up, is there anything worthwhile that you can get towards the end of the game or should I start cashing out on power nodes?[/QUOTE]

the 2 suits you need are security and advanced (vintage is a waste of 40k imo). other than that, just buy weapons and nodes. my first playthrough was cutter, line, plasma rifle and a variation of javelin, flamethrower or detonator.

[quote name='KingBroly']So does Extraction come with every copy of DS2 on PS3 or just the CE ones?[/QUOTE]

All first runs. It will say Limited Edition on it as well as state that it comes with Extraction.

Re: Extraction it's probably just so that you don't give it to all your friends for free. DS2 also comes with a serial code for online multiplayer which has to be bought for used copies to function, so it's no surprise they want Extraction locked to the disk.

I'm surprised to hear so many people complain about the "Don't Get Cocky!" trophy. I got it on my 2nd or 3rd try without a ton of difficulty.

[quote name='woodcan']I thought this was my problem when I first got my PS3 a few years back but after research I found I had to turn off the media server option because it constantly disconnected me from PSN every time it pinged for the connection. Not sure if they ever resolved this since I never reactivated it but it's something cheap to try first :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion. I use the PS3 Media Server to stream from my laptop, though... would it still find it manually, it would just stop auto-seeking for them?

[quote name='jmbreci']I never understand why people say they don't understand why people like a certain game or why it was good. Maybe it is because we have not come to the iRobot or Matrix part of humanity yet and actually all have independent thoughts and tastes.

I mean, why do certain people favor FPS over RTS or American RPG over JRPG? Some people like Madden while others loathe it. I like GT5 while my friend prefers NFS:HP. To each his own, maybe you can expand your horizons enough to learn that others do not have on the same pair of glasses that you do.

Oh, and the game is great.[/QUOTE]

That's not really fair. There have been tons of games throughout the years that I hated when other people loved them, and visa-versa. A few reasons Dead Space was something I never got into was because it was so repetitive, there was a severe lack of original ideas, and again, it was super repetitive. People praise it for being so scary, but in reality, it's more a Call of Duty balls-to-the-wall testosterone fest that pants-wetter. It also channels survival/horror movies shamelessly.

Also, you're going pretty far to say it's good because you have independant tastes, ideas, etc. Let me point out that Dead Space got huge amounts of press pre-release so don't say you're not jumping on some sort of bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, just because a game gets alot of attention doesn't necessarily mean it will be overhyped. There have been a ton of games with similar types of press that I've loved even though I went in with the mindset of "This game won't be that good and _____ paid for IGN or Gameinformer to praise it". To sum it all up, I tried Dead Space and tried to like it, but I expect a little something more out of my games. A single measly spark, for one.

That's not really fair. There have been tons of games throughout the years that I hated when other people loved them, and visa-versa.
Then I would imagine you understand what he's saying.

it was so repetitive, there was a severe lack of original ideas, and again, it was super repetitive.
How was it repetitive? I thought the game was very well-paced with plenty of variation by way of light puzzles, bosses, optional sidequests, etc. I'd really like to hear more on this, because normally in these kinda discussions, someone will use repetition as a blanket statement, like "Arkham Asylum is repetitive, all you do is mash X for four hours"

It also channels survival/horror movies shamelessly.
I don't think the devs ever denied that the game channeled certain horror/sci-fi franchises, but shamelessly?

Also, you're going pretty far to say it's good because you have independant tastes, ideas, etc. Let me point out that Dead Space got huge amounts of press pre-release so don't say you're not jumping on some sort of bandwagon
For someone that starts their response with "that's not fair", you're being pretty unfair yourself by making such an unfounded accusation.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']That's not really fair. There have been tons of games throughout the years that I hated when other people loved them, and visa-versa. A few reasons Dead Space was something I never got into was because it was so repetitive, there was a severe lack of original ideas, and again, it was super repetitive. People praise it for being so scary, but in reality, it's more a Call of Duty balls-to-the-wall testosterone fest that pants-wetter. It also channels survival/horror movies shamelessly.

Also, you're going pretty far to say it's good because you have independant tastes, ideas, etc. Let me point out that Dead Space got huge amounts of press pre-release so don't say you're not jumping on some sort of bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, just because a game gets alot of attention doesn't necessarily mean it will be overhyped. There have been a ton of games with similar types of press that I've loved even though I went in with the mindset of "This game won't be that good and _____ paid for IGN or Gameinformer to praise it". To sum it all up, I tried Dead Space and tried to like it, but I expect a little something more out of my games. A single measly spark, for one.[/QUOTE]

It still comes down to personal taste. You don't like it. Fantastic. Others do. Your ability to not comprehend that is your issue, not theirs.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']That's not really fair. There have been tons of games throughout the years that I hated when other people loved them, and visa-versa. A few reasons Dead Space was something I never got into was because it was so repetitive, there was a severe lack of original ideas, and again, it was super repetitive. People praise it for being so scary, but in reality, it's more a Call of Duty balls-to-the-wall testosterone fest that pants-wetter. It also channels survival/horror movies shamelessly.

Also, you're going pretty far to say it's good because you have independant tastes, ideas, etc. Let me point out that Dead Space got huge amounts of press pre-release so don't say you're not jumping on some sort of bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, just because a game gets alot of attention doesn't necessarily mean it will be overhyped. There have been a ton of games with similar types of press that I've loved even though I went in with the mindset of "This game won't be that good and _____ paid for IGN or Gameinformer to praise it". To sum it all up, I tried Dead Space and tried to like it, but I expect a little something more out of my games. A single measly spark, for one.[/QUOTE]

I believe it's already been said, but the original Dead Space was good because it put the survival back in survival horror. On Normal, it wasn't incredibly challenging, but IMO that's not how the game was meant to be played. Put it on Hard and you suddenly have to start rationing your ammo and health a little more carefully, and the combat system requires precision instead of just blasting away knowing ammo will be plentiful later.

The main thing that sets it apart from shooters (the comparison was made to Call of Duty. Really?) to me is the health system, in that you can't hide in a corner and wait it out until your health comes back, and health packs aren't always easy to come by unless you play very conservatively, and even then it's not guaranteed. Isaac can't run-and-gun the way you can in big action games, and he isn't that fast to begin with. He's incredibly, refreshingly mortal, and your death is quite literally just waiting for you around the corner if you aren't careful. The zero-g sequences added a ton to the game as well.

Combine all of that with excellent use of shadows & lighting, music, sound (or the lack thereof if you're in decompressed space), and a story which I found to be quite engaging, and you have one hell of a game. Dead Space is easily one of my favorite games of this console generation, and one of my favorite horror games of all time.

Don't get me wrong, I've disliked plenty of other games/movies/whatever that others have loved, but not even a single, measly spark? Are you sure you were playing the same game I was? ;)

What game isn't repetitive? Honestly? If you debase everything to it's simplest form, everything is just like everything else.

The controls are spot on. The guns are sweet. The zero grav areas are like nothing you've played before. You don't get lost playing the game (HUGE +) and the action keeps the game progressing quite well.

There aren't many games that are good enough to actually make it the whole way through. Family, work, schedules, etc. That being said, there is a dearth of games that are so good you can't put down. (ever read a good book?) Besides Dead Space, the only other game that comes to mind was the first Bioshock, and we all know how amazing that first play through was ;-)

I quoted you, so what is not fair? I'm pretty sure you typed it...type what you mean and mean what you type. So what is it exactly - we are all being led like mindless zombies then? Which way is it - independent thought or mindless zombies?

As for jumping on the bandwagon, I purchased DS1 day one out of the gate. I'm fairly certain I am not jumping on any bandwagon. It was the best horror genre game I have played since RE of the PS1 days.

To enlighten you better on my judgment and how much I do not jump on bandwagons - I was one of the biggest Duke Nukem 3D fans out there when it came out. Am I looking forward to the release of the next one - of course. Will I get it - probably. Will I fairly evaluate it - yep. I will call it it a turd if it is one.

Better yet, I know that God of War and Assassins Creed are not my cup of tea, but I would be naive to say that I don't understand why people like it.

As others have said, if you don't like it - fine, then move on. But don't expect people to sit idle when you come in and insult their choice in games in between your lines.

I am not upset in writing this at all. I just hope you realize that your taste in games matters little - and that is not a shot....just saying that your sh!t stinks as much as the rest of ours do.

[quote name='johnnypark']Just had my first run-in with Stalkers. fuck. They're responsible for more consecutive deaths than anything else in this game so far.[/QUOTE]
Use the Detonator!
Those are my favorite enemies to kill.

Zealot Force Gun = best crowd control weapon in the game. Man, this thing has saved me so many times. On chapter 13 right now and I've loved every minute of it so far.

I am two chapters in, and its pretty fun overall. I am not as blown away as I was with the first game, but it is a good, solid title.

Just beat the game 2 minutes shy of 10 hours. Difficulty really picks up in chapter 10 and the last couple of chapters 13-15 were intense... and this was just on normal. It would've been great if they explained or elaborated more on some parts of the ending, but otherwise, this game was great from start to finish.

[quote name='johnnypark']Thanks for the suggestion. I use the PS3 Media Server to stream from my laptop, though... would it still find it manually, it would just stop auto-seeking for them?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, it disables it altogether but it was a price I had to pay to be able to use PSN. I'll have to try it out again some day to see if it's still a problem.

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']Just beat the game 2 minutes shy of 10 hours. Difficulty really picks up in chapter 10 and the last couple of chapters 13-15 were intense... and this was just on normal. It would've been great if they explained or elaborated more on some parts of the ending, but otherwise, this game was great from start to finish.[/QUOTE]

i didnt like the ending at all.

So what's the word on the best node load outs? I started the other night and immediately dropped 7 nodes into my statis rig and regretted it. I have a save file from right before I did it, so I might go back to then.

If they release codes like they had for the first game, it's pretty stupid to enhance that stuff when i could pump up my rig or my plasma cutter. Thoughts?

[quote name='jmbreci']Better yet, I know that God of War and Assassins Creed are not my cup of tea, but I would be naive to say that I don't understand why people like it.

[/QUOTE]

Completely outside the realm of this thread (well maybe). I was not a fan of GOW series at all... I recently (novemberish) got GOW 1&2 Collection, and threw it in..

I dont know what happened but wow what a ride. I enjoyed 1 a lot, jumped on 2, stopped to start & finish Metorid Other M, and then came back to wrap 2 and 3 was great. Just finished it a few nights ago.

A few years back here on CAG I was trying the game and complaining that I just didint get it... it was really interesting for me to really click with it on this second chance a few years later. Glad I gave it another chance.

Anyway I grabbed this DS2 today and am curious... whats the estimate on length of the game for anyone that beat it?

*Edit ~ 10 hours ok thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nbballard']So what's the word on the best node load outs? [/QUOTE]

I was stressing over this a bit, as well. I'm not really interested in playing this 5 times to max everything out, so if anyone has any guidance I'd love to hear it.

Played up the the
tram ride
last night and I'm loving almost everything about it.

It's weird that Isaac is so fucking chatty in this one, though...I kind of liked it better when he was silent and (mostly) faceless.

[quote name='bmachine']I was stressing over this a bit, as well. I'm not really interested in playing this 5 times to max everything out, so if anyone has any guidance I'd love to hear it.

Played up the the
tram ride
last night and I'm loving almost everything about it.

It's weird that Isaac is so fucking chatty in this one, though...I kind of liked it better when he was silent and (mostly) faceless.[/QUOTE]

Power nodes? I've been sinking them into my Plasma Cutter. It was my preferred weapon in the original game and you get a lot of ammo for it. Increasing maximum health should also be a priority. Otherwise it depends on what weapons you purchase. I'm not really motivated to upgrade my stasis but probably will eventually. Only having 2 shots before needing to recharge is really annoying.

Re: Isaac talking... I have mixed feelings. I loved the way it worked in the first game, but I feel like the story they're telling here requires him to talk, especially when he encounters other characters in the game. Of course, Gordon Freeman never talks, and I think Half Life 2 has one of the best narratives of any game, period.

It creates a different feel to the story telling, but I can't decide if it's necessarily better or worse.

I have a question that maybe you guys can answer. I was reviewing the Plasma Cutter's "node upgrade map" and saw that there is some kind of "Special" move that you can get if you level it up enough.

Does anyone know what this is?

[quote name='tcatsninfan']I have a question that maybe you guys can answer. I was reviewing the Plasma Cutter's "node upgrade map" and saw that there is some kind of "Special" move that you can get if you level it up enough.

Does anyone know what this is?[/QUOTE]
If you hover over the node, it tells you what it does. It sets things on fire when you shoot them if I remember correctly. I haven't actually unlocked it yet.

I went through the node maps for all the weapons and it looks like "Special" just means "Sets stuff on fire". They could have just made it a "Fire" node.

I don't know about you guys-- but flaming necromorphs don't sound fun at all, unless they light up the room better.

I'm in Chapter 4...
Just finished the part where you are in the church and the door breaks. You have to kill the 4-5 monster pack that is working as a team. Those guys were rough. It took me a few tries, to realize they wanted me to shoot them with stasus when they popped their heads out and NOT after they started running at me.. Loved the trophy name.

bread's done
Back