[DEAD] Steam Midweek Madness - Trine = $5.00

Xealot42

CAGiversary!
Feedback
265 (100%)
trine_mw_spotlight.jpg

Steam has a Midweek Madness deal up in addition to their Total War deals.

Trine = $5.00

Metacritic = 80

Demo:
Steam

Dev. Website

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='icedrake523']I played the PS3 demo and it was pretty fun. I think I'll bite.[/QUOTE]

Same here! And I think a mouse might be better for this as well, i'll have to try it out. I do have a 360 pad if that's better...awesome find! thanx op!

[quote name='DirkBelig']Just tried it again and got killed in pretty much the same place. Unless there's a better way to control it, it's regrettably going to be a no sale. Drat.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing during the holiday sale. After that place with the thorns I decided that I didn't like the controls. I definitely would have bought it if there hadn't been a demo to try.

Snagged this. Thanks, OP.

Originally, I was looking to get this on PSN, but after playing it an hour or so, I am happy with the mouse and keyboard controls. (not to mention the price difference). I get the feeling the targeting reticle would be too sluggish or inaccurate with a analog stick, but I may be wrong.

The graphics and 'feel' of the game environments are amazing, and it is a blast to play so far.

You know what's sad? I've bought so many games off Steam that I forgot whether or not I've bought this game already.

UPDATE: I haven't bought it yet.

[quote name='Filbert']I did the same thing during the holiday sale. After that place with the thorns I decided that I didn't like the controls. I definitely would have bought it if there hadn't been a demo to try.[/QUOTE]

What level is that?

EDIT: The first level? Not sure what you guys expect from a platformer. You fall in a pit, you die. I'm playing on the 360 controller and had no problems with the platforming.

EDIT 2: Getting to the part where it gets frustrating, like a few reviews mention. So if you got annoyed with that pit, pass, as it gets much worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if you are going to play coop, you need to use controllers for both players. Don't think you can go one keyboard mouse and one controller.

Picked this up, somehow missed it during the Steam Holiday sale.

Steam's current deal on the various Total War games is pretty awesome right now too, especially the latest one, Empire Total War. That game had me at hello, when I saw the visuals of the naval battles. Best time playing a pure strategy game I've had in a while.

Maybe the mouse/keyboard controls are better, but I just tried the demo with a gamepad and the controls were all fucked up -- buttons not mapped sensibly, not doing what they were supposed to do, etc. I tried re-mapping the buttons, but some of them couldn't be remapped -- when I pushed them to select them, they instead did things like backing out of the controller setup screen. The game is almost interesting, but without better controls, it's too frustrating to bother.

Edit: Hmm . . . I see on the developer's website that there have been several patches, which have contained a number of fixes to gamepad support. Maybe the demo isn't patched? Anyone know?

Based on what I read on the developer's forums, it looked like those patches did fix the gamepad issues (why they wouldn't patch the demo, when that's what's supposed to be selling the game, is beyond me). So I went ahead and bought it.

They did fix it, for the most part. However, on the second scene (the first one with the wizard), I'm still having issues . . . How (when using a gamepad) do you move the cursor? Nothing seems to move it, and when I look in the control settings, I don't see any controls for it. What am I missing here?

[quote name='arcane93']
They did fix it, for the most part. However, on the second scene (the first one with the wizard), I'm still having issues . . . How (when using a gamepad) do you move the cursor? Nothing seems to move it, and when I look in the control settings, I don't see any controls for it. What am I missing here?[/QUOTE]

A right thumbstick? Actually, I'm not sure if that moves the cursor, but I recall having no issues in that regard (with a 360 controller.)

A lot of Steam demos aren't updated and patched up. Like Psychonauts and Freedom Force, which don't even work on Windows 7 from what I read, but the full game works just fine.

[quote name='palejackal']A right thumbstick? Actually, I'm not sure if that moves the cursor, but I recall having no issues in that regard (with a 360 controller.)[/QUOTE]

Nope, right thumbstick by default casts spells (their default configuration is very weird and unintuitive), but doesn't actually move the cursor. Moving the spellcasting off to other buttons using the controller configuration just causes the thumbstick to not do anything.

The one thing that I've found that does move the cursor (though it's completely useless), is that if I go into the inventory screen and move the cursor in there, when I exit it the cursor is in the location where I last had it on the inventory screen.

I'm using a Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2 -- a common enough controller that they should support . . .

[quote name='arcane93']I'm using a Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2 -- a common enough controller that they should support . . .[/QUOTE]
And we do. :) I can't post links because it's not allowed for new users but please check the Steam Forums for the game and in particular the thread "Trine PC gamepad configuration help" and also our own forums (you can get there on the official Trine website and following the Forum link), Trine Technical Support, page 2 and browser-search for "Rumblepad 2" to find the relevant thread where you can find a Rumblepad 2 conf file. Trine doesn't detect the gamepad model so you have to do this manually. It should've been doable in the Custom configuration screen but it's not exactly very user friendly. The default mappings for gamepads are for the Xbox 360 Controller (hence why it's weird with other pads).

I'm not too sure if the Steam demo is updated, I think it should be at least 1.03 (the final game is 1.05 currently and 1.06 is coming soon-ish). We'll have to check once things calm down a bit... 1.06 will include some multiple mice and keyboard fixes and possibly some gamepad stuff too (I guess we could autodetect Rumblepad 2 and make it use the correct configs, given how it's a rather popular pad). We'll see. (And you can play co-op in any kind of input device combination, i.e. one keyboard+mouse and one or two gamepads, three gamepads and no keyboard+mouse at all [except for menus] or even three keyboards + mice with no gamepads, although this latter option could be a nightmare to set up - which we'll try to fix a bit in 1.06.)

Anyhow thanks for the comments here guys, we hope you enjoy the game. And glad to see so many have. :)

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine

[quote name='sgs']Any chance of Trine running on your average laptop?[/QUOTE]

Probably depends upon what your "average" laptop is. Here are the system requirements, straight off of the Steam page:

• Processor: 2.0 GHz CPU (Dual-core recommended)
  • Memory: 512 MB (XP), 1 GB (Vista)
  • Graphics: Radeon X800 or GeForce 6800 or better
  • DirectX®: 9.0c
  • Hard Drive: 600 MB
  • Sound: DirectX compatible soundcard (not required)
  • Multiplayer: Gamepads required for co-op play

You'll have to judge from that whether it will work for you or not.

Joel, thanks for the info -- I'll give that a try!

One suggestion, if auto-detect on the gamepad turns out to be too difficult or not worth the effort, how about a user selectable drop-down listing the most popular gamepad models?

After seeing the developers comment, I was almost ready to drop $5 since they appear to be committed to supporting the game, but I plugged in my Xbox 360 pad, found it utterly unrecognized by the game, and trying to play with the keyboard an exercise in futility. A darn shame. It looks so pretty, but if you can't play it, what's the point? If I wanted uncontrollable beauty that fails the moment you lay hands on it, I'd go to a strip club.

[quote name='DirkBelig']After seeing the developers comment, I was almost ready to drop $5 since they appear to be committed to supporting the game, but I plugged in my Xbox 360 pad, found it utterly unrecognized by the game, and trying to play with the keyboard an exercise in futility. A darn shame. It looks so pretty, but if you can't play it, what's the point? If I wanted uncontrollable beauty that fails the moment you lay hands on it, I'd go to a strip club.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, that was pretty much my initial reaction too, but after reading the forums and discovering that they had made a number of patches to improve gamepad support, I went ahead and bought it anyway. Gamepad controls are much improved in the full version. The demo really isn't representative, because it hasn't been patched.

Doh! Deal already dead! Usually they stay up well into the early hours of the morning, but it's already gone. I feel sorry for others like me waiting until the last minute, especially if you live on the west coast.

[quote name='arcane93']Gamepad controls are much improved in the full version. The demo really isn't representative, because it hasn't been patched.[/QUOTE]The purpose of a demo is to entice people into purchasing the full product. Unfortunately, this demo ended up in a sale not happening, even for a measly $5. (Imagine the lost sales at full price.) If the controls were functioning and players weren't facing being killed by thorns barely 10 minutes into the game - what are the harder levels like? - then I would've bought in, but I can't rely on blind faith and word of mouth that the issue is resolved for paying customers.

Like the dandruff commercials say, "You never get a 2nd chance at making a 1st impression." The game truly looks gorgeous and I really wanted to pick it up, but broken controls that cause game-stopping frustration killed the deal. Too bad.

I wasn't going to reply anymore as the sale has ended (a bit too soon if you ask me but that's life, lots of people missed out on it sadly :( ) but I guess I should - the 360 Controller works fine in the Trine Demo (1.03), at least on the stand-alone demo that can be found on the game's website. I'll have to check the Steam demo later, maybe there's something funny going on. You need to set it up in the Options -> Controller configuration menu though. I know it's not very user friendly to be honest, so I guess it's our loss either way. :( Anyhow, I hope that those who took the plunge enjoy the game, and if there's any problems etc then you can get in touch on the Steam Forums or on our own forums, or send an email/PM. Have fun!

bread's done
Back