[DEAD] Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for College Students $30

icedrake523

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SOLDIER']So for someone who wants to install it on two computers, and also has a student discount, what's the best deal(s) available?[/QUOTE]
The $30 deal- just get another student with a Mac to let you use their info for the second copy.

[quote name='aerozero']Wait, so this is the full Windows 7 version?[/QUOTE]
As the OP & site linked to state, it is the upgrade version. However, one person somehow was able to get MS to offer him the full version for the same price. Still unsure how he that occurred.

[quote name='Guerrilla']The $30 deal- just get another student with a Mac to let you use their info for the second copy.[/QUOTE]

I have two college e-mails, so I should probably be able to buy two copies, but I was really hoping for some sort of multi-license copy instead of spending $60 on two copies.

How long will this deal last?

[quote name='J7.']As the OP & site linked to state, it is the upgrade version. However, one person somehow was able to get MS to offer him the full version for the same price. Still unsure how he that occurred.[/QUOTE]

You can't upgrade from XP so maybe if you have XO you can contact them and explain your situation.

[quote name='Malik112099']You can't upgrade from XP so maybe if you have XO you can contact them and explain your situation.[/QUOTE]
This is two posts in a row that you have posted misinformation. You can upgrade from XP but it requires a clean install.

[quote name='J7.']You can upgrade from XP but it requires a clean install.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that isn't an upgrade. While you might be able to use the upgrade version of 7 the actual install isnt an upgrade since you have to start over from a clean HD

I picked mine up yesterday from the University computer store. I'm going to back up everything, then do a fresh install this weekend.

[quote name='Malik112099']Yeah, that isn't an upgrade.[/QUOTE]
Yes it is. If you don't have XP or Vista, you have to buy a full version. If you have XP, you might not be able to install it as easily, but you can use an upgrade version like this.

[quote name='Malik112099']Yeah, that isn't an upgrade.[/QUOTE]:whee:3rd time in a row spreading misinformation, just shut up if you have no clue what you're talking about :roll:. Or maybe you do, but you'd lie to every CAG because you have beef with another user...
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6357214&postcount=40
[quote name='Malik112099']
no, you can just upgrade from vista....you have to do a cleani install when going from xp to 7[/QUOTE]
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6357214&postcount=40
product-hero.png

A clean install isnt an upgrade. When you go from Vista to 7 everything is saved. When you go from XP to 7 nothing is saved. Saying that you can upgrade from XP to 7 is like saying you can upgrade from Linux to 7. Either way you have to start with a clean HD. How in the hell is having to wipe your drive before installing a new OS considered an upgrade?

EDIT: edited my previous posts to elaborate more on what I meant.

[quote name='SOLDIER']So is there any deals in getting the full version for $30?[/QUOTE]
I sent a PM to the person who was able to do it, hopefully he can shed some light on how that happened. I may call MS and see if it's possible.

[quote name='Malik112099']A clean install isnt an upgrade. When you go from Vista to 7 everything is saved. When you go from XP to 7 nothing is saved. Saying that you can upgrade from XP to 7 is like saying you can upgrade from Linux to 7. Either way you have to start with a clean HD. How in the hell is having to wipe your drive before installing a new OS considered an upgrade?

EDIT: edited my previous posts to elaborate more on what I meant.[/QUOTE]
Damage Control... it's too late. There are 2 versions available to purchase: Full Windows 7 (more expensive) & Upgrade (less expensive). That is what we are talking about... and that is why the boxes are labeled. Sorry but you can't wiggle your way out of this one.

[quote name='J7.']Damage Control... it's too late. There are 2 versions available to purchase: Full Windows 7 (more expensive) & Upgrade (less expensive). That is what we are talking about... and that is why the boxes are labeled. Sorry but you can't wiggle your way out of this one.[/QUOTE]

This is the internet..I dont have to wiggle out of shit. If you think an "upgrade" is having to wipe your hard drive before installation you are retarded.

[quote name='JolietJake']I don't know what you're definition of upgrade is, but going from one OS to a newer, better OS is an upgrade.[/QUOTE]

My definition of upgrading when it comes to software is retaining all previous settings/content/drivers/etc. This is not the case when you go from XP to 7. I know this because I went through it with my desktop.

I got a response from the guy who was able to get the full version for $30. He said, "I called the microsoft store, and asked them about the student promtion, and i was able to order the full version of windows 7 professional, and chose the download version. it only cost me $29.99 plus tax.

you need an .edu email address and a student id number."

[quote name='Malik112099']This is the internet..I dont have to wiggle out of shit. If you think an "upgrade" is having to wipe your hard drive before installation you are retarded.[/QUOTE]
As I said we were talking about the two versions for sale, one is a full version and the other is an upgrade version. XP requires a clean install with the upgrade version of the software, you said this yourself on page 2. Maybe you should waggle next time and not change your definitions of something after you realize you're wrong. Just because you're on the internet doesn't mean you can change your story back and forth when you post the wrong information habitually.

Full version means you don't need to have Vista installed in order to install Win7, right?

That's the one I'm looking for, because I'm looking to selling my copy of Vista on Ebay.

I am using Vista Home Premium, 64-bit. From what I gather I would not be able to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional without doing a clean install, so I'll have to go with Windows 7 Home Premium if I want this to go as easy and problem-free as possible. Is this correct?

[quote name='Vekou']I am using Vista Home Premium, 64-bit. From what I gather I would not be able to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional without doing a clean install, so I'll have to go with Windows 7 Home Premium if I want this to go as easy and problem-free as possible. Is this correct?[/QUOTE]
That sounds right, but I'm not 100% sure.

[quote name='SOLDIER']Full version means you don't need to have Vista installed in order to install Win7, right?

That's the one I'm looking for, because I'm looking to selling my copy of Vista on Ebay.[/QUOTE]
That is correct.

[quote name='Vekou']I am using Vista Home Premium, 64-bit. From what I gather I would not be able to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional without doing a clean install, so I'll have to go with Windows 7 Home Premium if I want this to go as easy and problem-free as possible. Is this correct?[/QUOTE]

You will have to do a clean install

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7

Step 1: Which version of Windows 7 can I upgrade to?

The table below describes which editions of Windows Vista can be upgraded to Windows 7. Remember that if you can't use the Upgrade option to upgrade to the edition of Windows 7 that you want to use, you can still use the Custom installation option.
The Upgrade option works with either an upgrade copy or the full product copy of Windows 7. This is described on the front of the Windows 7 retail box or on an online sales receipt.

imagetz.png

32-bit or 64-bit: Which version of Windows 7 to install?

If you're running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only upgrade to a 32-bit version of Windows 7. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Otherwise, you'll need to use the Custom option to install Windows 7.
Both 32-bit and 64-bit installation discs are included in the Windows 7 package. 64-bit operating systems can handle large amounts of memory—typically 4 gigabytes (GB) of random access memory (RAM) or more—more efficiently than 32-bit operating systems. However, not all computers are 64-bit capable.
To find out which Windows 7 installation disc you can use, do the following:
  1. Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Performance Information and Tools.
  2. Click View and print details.
  3. Under System, you can see what type of operating system you're currently running next to System type, and, next to 64-bit capable, whether you can run a 64-bit version of Windows.
    If your computer is already running a 64-bit version of Windows, you won't see the 64-bit capable listing.

What if I can't choose the Upgrade option?

Some versions of Windows can't be upgraded with the installation disc you're trying to use. For example, you can't upgrade a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version, or upgrade from a higher edition of Windows, such as Windows Vista Ultimate, to a lower edition, such as Windows 7 Home Premium. If this is the case, you'll need to use the Custom option during installation.
However, unlike Upgrade, the Custom option does not preserve your files, settings, or programs. You'll need to back up your files and settings before installing Windows 7, restore them after installation is complete—and you'll also need to reinstall your programs using the original installation discs or files. For a step-by-step tutorial on how to perform a custom installation, see Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation).

Thanks to this board, I was able to call up the MS store and order up a FULL version of Professional, direct download, $30.

Awesome. :)

Well after reading through this thread I decided to cancel my order with them. I had the home version upgrade. Now I can get the full professional for the same price.

I got it for FREE through my school....$30 is nice though.

This was through the MSDN. Although, I recently graduated. I actually just checked right now and I think they disabled my account since I graduated. Glad I already got my Win7 though and I am running it now.

Say you have programs that came with your computer on XP or Vista but you get the full version of Win 7. If you put that disc that contains the computer's OS and programs, would you be able to transfer the programs onto the computer that is now running Win 7 using the disc they came on?

[quote name='J7.']Say you have programs that came with your computer on XP or Vista but you get the full version of Win 7. If you put that disc that contains the computer's OS and programs, would you be able to transfer the programs onto the computer that is now running Win 7 using the disc they came on?[/QUOTE]

You won't be able to transfer the programs but there's a good chance that the program's installation files are on the disc itself, with each program receiving their own folder. You could probably explore the disc and find the executable files to install the programs. Not all programs will be available this way though.

Can you do an upgrade installation with the full version of Win 7 to be able to keep your programs? Ugh... if there's not a way to get the programs the computer came with then getting Win 7 is pretty pointless.

[quote name='J7.']Can you do an upgrade installation with the full version of Win 7 to be able to keep your programs? Ugh... if there's not a way to get the programs the computer came with then getting Win 7 is pretty pointless.[/QUOTE]

This is what I have been saying. Look at the chart I posted above. If you are upgrading from XP you will lose all your programs. If you are upgrading from Vista you will keep your programs but it has to be the same version or above of Win 7 unless you are going from home to pro or vice versa.

I did this a few days ago, but if you want the disc as well you're better off ordering directly from the microsoft store. It'll be the same price with $5 shipping and whatever taxes is applicable. When I asked the CSR he said that it was the FULL version. The number is 1.877.696.7786

[quote name='Malik112099']This is what I have been saying. Look at the chart I posted above. If you are upgrading from XP you will lose all your programs. If you are upgrading from Vista you will keep your programs but it has to be the same version or above of Win 7 unless you are going from home to pro or vice versa.[/QUOTE]
Look, i don't know exactly what programs you mean, if it's something you bought and installed, you can just reinstall it after installing Win7, assuming it's compatible. If it's some sort of OEM specific program, tough, that stuff isn't part of a standard install.

You should know how this works by now if you've went through it before.

[quote name='JolietJake']Look, i don't know exactly what programs you mean, if it's something you bought and installed, you can just reinstall it after installing Win7, assuming it's compatible. If it's some sort of OEM specific program, tough, that stuff isn't part of a standard install.

You should know how this works by now if you've went through it before.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but if you are able to use the upgrade option instead of the clean install option you get to keep all of your already installed programs (along with OEM installed software) installed through the upgrade process. It might be worth it some people to call to get a different version for the same price if it means they dont have to start from a clean slate.

[quote name='Malik112099']This is what I have been saying. Look at the chart I posted above. If you are upgrading from XP you will lose all your programs. If you are upgrading from Vista you will keep your programs but it has to be the same version or above of Win 7 unless you are going from home to pro or vice versa.[/QUOTE]
Your point on being able to keep programs with only the same version installed of Win 7 got lost to me within all the other stuff you posted. Thanks for the info. I will probably try a clean install first and if the computer won't read my older OS disc with the Gateway PC programs included, I will reinstall the older OS using that disc and then do a Win 7 upgrade to it. I agree people should get the version that matches their current Win version if they want to keep programs they didn't buy for their PC separately.

I was able to get the full version of Home Premium for $37 shipped after tax. The guy told me you can only do the upgrade option with the upgrade version, which we know is false according to their site. He also said you can do the upgrade option from Home Premium to Professional which is also false according to their site.

Has anyone done a backup of their system before? You backup everything before installing Win 7 and then you use restore after you install Win 7? Where does it back it up too, to their site or only to your own external HDD?

Windows Easy Transfer appears to be for transferring between two computers. I'll probably do some research on backups.

Thanks, that's a good resource. Did anyone who ordered this not get a confirmation email?

They said it would be there instantly, but it's been over a day now and I don't know if they didn't send it or my school blocked it, but it's not in any folders. I sent them an email and waiting for response still.

[quote name='Malik112099']
Step 1: Which version of Windows 7 can I upgrade to?

The table below describes which editions of Windows Vista can be upgraded to Windows 7. Remember that if you can't use the Upgrade option to upgrade to the edition of Windows 7 that you want to use, you can still use the Custom installation option.
The Upgrade option works with either an upgrade copy or the full product copy of Windows 7. This is described on the front of the Windows 7 retail box or on an online sales receipt.

imagetz.png

[/QUOTE]
I can't for the life of me find out about upgrading from XP Professional to 7 Pro... does it matter which you have as a XP user?

Damnit, im an idiot. I forgot that vista home edition can't be upgraded to Win 7 professional edition. They say no refunds on the promotion. Does anyone want one? I know this is now trending into trading forum territory so I'll post it there. If anyone is interested, just PM me.

Edit: Ok, so I can do a clean install (Which is what I would want to do anyways) right? If not than this post is mute. Help?

Those who are calling the Microsoft Store for the pre-order price:

How long did you have to wait? Yesterday, I tried to call the store twice, and was put on hold for 10+ minutes both times and said F it.

Today, I tried again and I was put on hold for 20 MINUTES, and this is just getting frustrating.

[quote name='shivaedge']Those who are calling the Microsoft Store for the pre-order price:

How long did you have to wait? Yesterday, I tried to call the store twice, and was put on hold for 10+ minutes both times and said F it.

Today, I tried again and I was put on hold for 20 MINUTES, and this is just getting frustrating.[/QUOTE]
I was on hold for about 40-45 minutes.

[quote name='udabenshen']Damnit, im an idiot. I forgot that vista home edition can't be upgraded to Win 7 professional edition. They say no refunds on the promotion. Does anyone want one? I know this is now trending into trading forum territory so I'll post it there. If anyone is interested, just PM me.

Edit: Ok, so I can do a clean install (Which is what I would want to do anyways) right? If not than this post is mute. Help?[/QUOTE]
You can do clean install if you have the full version. I don't know if you could do custom install in your situation if you have the upgrade version?

Called up the Microsoft Store this morning. Was on hold for only 3 minutes. Got the order in quick and painless.
Had it ordered from amazon, then digital river, now here.

WISC (for students and faculty at many Wisconsin colleges) has just announced their deal.

Windows 7 Pro Upgrade 32-bit Student Select Media and License for Students, Faculty, and Staff
Part#: 53717
Price: $42.95

An email explains:

"Windows 7 is now for sale on the WISC site. We're selling the Pro Edition for $42.95 and the Ultimate Edition for $82.95. Both of those are either 32- or 64-bit, and the selling price includes one upgrade license, installation media, and delivery. The only additional charge is sales tax, which we will add to every order delivered in Wisconsin.

If you choose to order now, we will charge your credit card immediately, but we cannot deliver your order before October 22nd (Microsoft's general availability date).

The Windows 7 Pro price of $42.95 is a special, limited-time offer that will expire around the end of 2009."

This sounds to me like a good deal. If $30 is a base price + $13 for a disc . . . Then $43 for a disc version of the Pro Edition should be fine.

How much was the preorder deal? (from summer)

So this WISC offer is for the "better" Pro version where the other deal is for Home Premium . . .

It sounds like I should pay the extra bucks . . . right?

bread's done
Back