[DEAD] Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for College Students $30

icedrake523

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't like the way you have to choose 32 or 64 bit. Microsoft should just give you the option at install time rather than locking you into one or the other when you buy it.

[quote name='pure skill']I'm sorry, I worded that wrong and wasn't specific enough. I meant can it be gotten through Microsoft and can we get the full retail package(the plastic case, disc, etc.)? If this has already been confirmed too, just assume I'm a dumbass and ignore me. Sorry, or thanks in advance whichever the case may be.[/QUOTE]
This has been confirmed, you can get the full retail package with all that stuff and through MS for $35 shipped. It looks like they took the info about this off their site today though. Maybe they're just doing that to avoid having people on hold for 45 minutes and are still offering it or maybe they're no longer offering it but I thought the offer was good until Oct 22.

[quote name='mokmoof']Again, not to be a pain, but what is your source on that?

If that's the only difference, then it's no big deal for me, as I do indeed have my Vista key handy.

Edit: And also, thanks for the answer![/QUOTE]
That is what I recall reading, but I don't remember where. I would look on MS site. Why would you order the upgrade though if you can get the full version for the same price?

[quote name='JolietJake']I really don't like the way you have to choose 32 or 64 bit. Microsoft should just give you the option at install time rather than locking you into one or the other when you buy it.[/QUOTE]
I thought they came with both? On their site it says that both are included.

[quote name='J7.']Why would you order the upgrade though if you can get the full version for the same price?[/QUOTE]

Simply because I had already ordered through Digital River, and I saw no reason to mess with the order if the difference between "Upgrade" and "Full" is negligible or nonexistent.

Edit: Having checked with the Microsoft website, it seems that the only difference is that one needs to own Vista or XP in order to use an Upgrade edition. For this reason, the Upgrade edition is cheaper. The Full version does not seem to be different in any substantial way.

So yes, you might need a Vista or XP key to install an upgrade version. But, for the record: If you have a Vista or XP key, then there is effectively no difference between a Full version and an Upgrade version. I say this because on this page, if one clicks "View Windows 7 Full Versions," the only things that change are the prices. The table of included features remains exactly the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never upgraded an OS before. If I upgrade from Windows Vista, will I have to delete everything on my hard drive to do so? I have an external, but its kind of stashed away right now. Thanks!

[quote name='J7.']This has been confirmed, you can get the full retail package with all that stuff and through MS for $35 shipped. It looks like they took the info about this off their site today though. Maybe they're just doing that to avoid having people on hold for 45 minutes and are still offering it or maybe they're no longer offering it but I thought the offer was good until Oct 22.
[/QUOTE]

Just called in today, the deal is still live. You're probably right about the whole on hold thing because I was on hold for 37 minutes this morning.

[quote name='mokmoof']Simply because I had already ordered through Digital River, and I saw no reason to mess with the order if the difference between "Upgrade" and "Full" is negligible or nonexistent.

The Full version does not seem to be different in any substantial way.

So yes, you might need a Vista or XP key to install an upgrade version. But, for the record: If you have a Vista or XP key, then there is effectively no difference between a Full version and an Upgrade version. I say this because on this page, if one clicks "View Windows 7 Full Versions," the only things that change are the prices. The table of included features remains exactly the same.[/QUOTE]

Actually it is still safer to get the full version. I also had a preorder with Digital River and canceled this morning. The problem with the upgrade version is that if you ever plan on installing windows 7 again, you will need to find your Vista disc. It's an extra unnecessary step everytime you want to reformat your computer and perform a clean install. Plus, you should do a clean install anyways whenever you install a new OS. You don't want a lot of useless outdated drivers filling up your hdd.

And when it is actually cheaper to get the Full version with the retail box from Microsoft... the choice is obvious.

[quote name='mokmoof']Simply because I had already ordered through Digital River, and I saw no reason to mess with the order if the difference between "Upgrade" and "Full" is negligible or nonexistent.

Edit: Having checked with the Microsoft website, it seems that the only difference is that one needs to own Vista or XP in order to use an Upgrade edition. For this reason, the Upgrade edition is cheaper. The Full version does not seem to be different in any substantial way.

So yes, you might need a Vista or XP key to install an upgrade version. But, for the record: If you have a Vista or XP key, then there is effectively no difference between a Full version and an Upgrade version. I say this because on this page, if one clicks "View Windows 7 Full Versions," the only things that change are the prices. The table of included features remains exactly the same.[/QUOTE]

I wonder what would happen if you had to reinstall Win 7 a 2nd time with the upgrade version. Hopefully you would just be able to give it your XP/Vista key and reinstall.
See's post above mine.

[quote name='BShea']I've never upgraded an OS before. If I upgrade from Windows Vista, will I have to delete everything on my hard drive to do so? I have an external, but its kind of stashed away right now. Thanks![/QUOTE]
No not with Vista (with XP yes because you have to do clean install) unless you choose to. You will need to do a backup before upgrading to keep your programs & files, then restore after install. Unless does anyone know if a person could upgrade to Win 7 then put in their older OS that came with their computer and preloaded programs and be able to move those programs onto the PC running Win 7?

[quote name='hmbtnguy']Just called in today, the deal is still live. You're probably right about the whole on hold thing because I was on hold for 37 minutes this morning.

Actually it is still safer to get the full version. I also had a preorder with Digital River and canceled this morning. The problem with the upgrade version is that if you ever plan on installing windows 7 again, you will need to find your Vista disc. It's an extra unnecessary step everytime you want to reformat your computer and perform a clean install. Plus, you should do a clean install anyways whenever you install a new OS. You don't want a lot of useless outdated drivers filling up your hdd.

And when it is actually cheaper to get the Full version with the retail box from Microsoft... the choice is obvious.[/QUOTE]

I have no interest in a box, but are you certain that an Upgrade version requires a Vista disc to reinstall? Why wouldn't it just ask you for your Vista key?

In my case, and presumably in a lot of other people's cases, the Vista key is on a sticker on the bottom of my laptop, so finding it again is no big deal.

Again, not trying to be a pain. Just trying to cut through the massive amounts of misinformation in this thread and get clear answers for everyone.

[quote name='mokmoof']I have no interest in a box, but are you certain that an Upgrade version requires a Vista disc to reinstall? Why wouldn't it just ask you for your Vista key?

In my case, and presumably in a lot of other people's cases, the Vista key is on a sticker on the bottom of my laptop, so finding it again is no big deal.

Again, not trying to be a pain. Just trying to cut through the massive amounts of misinformation in this thread and get clear answers for everyone.[/QUOTE]

It has not been confirmed yet, but in the past, you need to have an activated version of an older OS currently installed to do an upgrade.

If you ever need to install Windows 7 again, you will need to reinstall Vsta and activate it. Only then are you able to "upgrade" to Windows 7.

This is also the reason there are so many OEM Vista DVD's on ebay, because a lot of people can't create their own recovery discs due to manufacture restrictions.

Just be safe and get the full version since you never know if you'll ever need to reinstall Windows 7.

*edit*
Just found this online, not sure how valid it is as it was found on Tom's Hardware forums:
"To prove that you own Vista, you must have it installed; just the disk and/or product key is not enough."
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/777-63-upgrade-vista-vista-disc

[quote name='aerozero']Yeah same here, finally placed my order.

edit:

Anyone know how long it takes for them to send out the confirmation email?[/QUOTE]

It should be instant. I actually had this same problem because the rep heard my email address incorrectly.

You should call in just to make sure. I actually just got off the phone and they corrected everything for me. I was on hold for roughly 35 minutes, but that's what speakerphone was invented for...

[quote name='aerozero']Yeah same here, finally placed my order.

edit:

Anyone know how long it takes for them to send out the confirmation email?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='J7.']I never got a confirmation email and I didn't want to risk not getting the deal so I called them again and had to spend another 45 minutes on hold. Total time spent on hold with them 1 hour 30 minutes. Thank god for speaker phone. Turns out they sent the original email to the wrong email address...[/QUOTE].

[quote name='hmbtnguy'] Actually it is still safer to get the full version. I also had a preorder with Digital River and canceled this morning. The problem with the upgrade version is that if you ever plan on installing windows 7 again, you will need to find your Vista disc. It's an extra unnecessary step everytime you want to reformat your computer and perform a clean install. Plus, you should do a clean install anyways whenever you install a new OS. You don't want a lot of useless outdated drivers filling up your hdd.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for your post, hmbtnguy. My previous attempts to get in touch with the Microsoft Store ended in failure, for the simple reason that I had to go to work or class, and couldn't remain on hold indefinitely--hence my search for answers here.

But I just called Microsoft again and, after a humble 17 minutes of hold time, I spoke to a helpful guy named Tim. Tim confirmed that reinstalling an Upgrade version of Windows 7 would require me to first reinstall Windows Vista.

Because that sounded like a potentially huge pain in the ass, I ordered through Microsoft, and canceled by order with Digital River. Microsoft charged me tax, so I paid about $3 more (I went with the digital version, not the boxed version), but that seemed worth it to save myself the hassle of a double-reinstall.

Once again, thanks to everyone who answered my questions.

They got my University Email, Billing and Home address all wrong, so the guy at Customer Service had to cancel my old order and place me a new one. He was a really nice and cool guy though, fixed everything and was really chill about it.

I'm trying to get in on this deal now and cancel my amazon order, but I've been on hold for 50 mins now, and am about ready to give up

Cancelled the Digital River order due to uncertainties and ordered straight from Microsoft. Was put on hold for a good 50 minutes. The process afterwards took hardly 5 minutes though. Got Windows 7 Pro Full. Total was $32.46. I must applaud how good their service is.

just noticed that in my confirmation email they have one letter wrong in the street name, they put 'pawbucket' instead of 'pawtucket', do you think that merits having to call back? Or is it safe to think it will make it to me anyway

[quote name='leftwing1018']just noticed that in my confirmation email they have one letter wrong in the street name, they put 'pawbucket' instead of 'pawtucket', do you think that merits having to call back? Or is it safe to think it will make it to me anyway[/QUOTE]

id call back

Just put in order through Microsoft. But now I cant seem to cancel my digital river order, every time I try to look up the order it says no orders found. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe they canceled it for me?

I got charged for my order yesterday, I got the full pro DVD btw hamburger with cheese. Anyone know if there's a limit on this by email or address? I'm upgrading my computer a bit and putting this on but I'm putting together a new computer in the future and would need another copy.

[quote name='USB Cable']I got charged for my order yesterday, I got the full pro DVD btw hamburger with cheese. Anyone know if there's a limit on this by email or address? I'm upgrading my computer a bit and putting this on but I'm putting together a new computer in the future and would need another copy.[/QUOTE]

Through the Microsoft store, it's one order per student email address. I ordered two Windows 7 Pro full versions, one for me and one for my roommate, and got them shipped to the same address and did it on the same call. Unfortunately, they must be processed as separate orders so we didn't save on shipping. If you have some college buddies who aren't interested in the deal, just use their email address.

Thanks to everyone for helping me get this deal. Especially you, J7.

[quote name='fusion0fangels']http://ccc.shareit.com/ccc/index.html?cccid=%5BDASID_3980%5D

Has digital river's phone number on there, I called them and canceled it. Just tell them your order number and stuff. That's what I did after never receiving responses from them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much for this. I called Digital River, just to be safe, and they had not yet canceled my order. Apparently their email form is insufficient.

[quote name='fusion0fangels']http://ccc.shareit.com/ccc/index.html?cccid=%5BDASID_3980%5D

Has digital river's phone number on there, I called them and canceled it. Just tell them your order number and stuff. That's what I did after never receiving responses from them.[/QUOTE]
That worked, thanks. Not sure if the guy canceled it, didn't give me a reference number or anything. He just said he would cancel it and said have a good day. edit. Just got an email saying its canceled.

Indeed, thank you. I called and they said they hadn't even cancelled from the email form.

Edit: Gamer1233 - They didn't give you a reference number? They gave me a confirmation number for the cancellation. I would call again just to make sure.

[quote name='Anhmeister']Indeed, thank you. I called and they said they hadn't even cancelled from the email form.

Edit: Gamer1233 - They didn't give you a reference number? They gave me a confirmation number for the cancellation. I would call again just to make sure.[/QUOTE]
Just got an email from them so I think I am good.

[quote name='pure skill']Through the Microsoft store, it's one order per student email address. I ordered two Windows 7 Pro full versions, one for me and one for my roommate, and got them shipped to the same address and did it on the same call. Unfortunately, they must be processed as separate orders so we didn't save on shipping. If you have some college buddies who aren't interested in the deal, just use their email address.

Thanks to everyone for helping me get this deal. Especially you, J7.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply! The person that helped me get this has two school emails because they change the @ extension so I'll give it a shot with the second email address. Hopefully this is still going on next week Friday because I have bills and Tekken 6 to get next week so I have to wait til I get paid again lol.

[quote name='pure skill']Through the Microsoft store, it's one order per student email address. I ordered two Windows 7 Pro full versions, one for me and one for my roommate, and got them shipped to the same address and did it on the same call. Unfortunately, they must be processed as separate orders so we didn't save on shipping. If you have some college buddies who aren't interested in the deal, just use their email address.

Thanks to everyone for helping me get this deal. Especially you, J7.[/QUOTE]
You're welcome.

[quote name='USB Cable']Thanks for the reply! The person that helped me get this has two school emails because they change the @ extension so I'll give it a shot with the second email address. Hopefully this is still going on next week Friday because I have bills and Tekken 6 to get next week so I have to wait til I get paid again lol.[/QUOTE]
Cross your fingers, it might just be a preorder deal. But good luck.

[quote name='JolietJake']Just out of curiosity, is it possible to do this through both digital river and MS itself? Could really use 2 copies.[/QUOTE]
Well i answered my own question, got one copy from each place.

[quote name='JolietJake']Just out of curiosity, is it possible to do this through both digital river and MS itself? Could really use 2 copies.[/QUOTE]
Well i answered my own question, got one copy from each place.

Took part in the Microsoft store deal (1-877-MY-MS-STORE) today - as others mentioned, the hold times can be upwards of half an hour, but the actual ordering process took me less than 10 minutes.

Also, not sure if it has been posted here yet, but the Microsoft store rep I spoke with mentioned that this student deal will continue through the end of 2009, so don't feel the need to rush your order if you're short on funds at the moment! :whee:

might call microsoft tomorrow then.. i havent cancelled my digital river order ..i probably will keep that order since i have legit vista on my laptop.

getting the pro full version for my desktop is a major plus. Do you just call the number above and mention that your a student and want to order win 7?

I'd also like to thank Malik for his help as well. So I guess they will be shipping out our Win 7 tomorrow!

[quote name='guyver2077']might call microsoft tomorrow then.. i havent cancelled my digital river order ..i probably will keep that order since i have legit vista on my laptop.

getting the pro full version for my desktop is a major plus. Do you just call the number above and mention that your a student and want to order win 7?[/QUOTE]
Yes, you need your .edu email address and possibly your student id #.

[quote name='J7.']I'd also like to thank Malik for his help as well. So I guess they will be shipping out our Win 7 tomorrow!

Yes, you need your .edu email address and possibly your student id #.[/QUOTE]

Ok. so how about if my email address isnt a .edu email? Anyone in this situation been able to order?

Thanks!

[quote name='jay-t']Took part in the Microsoft store deal (1-877-MY-MS-STORE) today - as others mentioned, the hold times can be upwards of half an hour, but the actual ordering process took me less than 10 minutes.

Also, not sure if it has been posted here yet, but the Microsoft store rep I spoke with mentioned that this student deal will continue through the end of 2009, so don't feel the need to rush your order if you're short on funds at the moment! :whee:[/QUOTE]

That's really good to know, jay-t. I might be building a new desktop in the next few months, and giving it 7 Pro for cheap sounds good to me.

[quote name='mokmoof']That's really good to know, jay-t. I might be building a new desktop in the next few months, and giving it 7 Pro for cheap sounds good to me.[/QUOTE]

Same here - I won't be building mine until early next year but jumped on this deal now since I didn't know how long it would last.

[quote name='guyver2077']Ok. so how about if my email address isnt a .edu email? Anyone in this situation been able to order?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
I heard it has to be .edu, but I'd call MS and see if it is eligible.

Reality's Fringe;6423619]So said:
I think you have to have Vista installed to run the upgrade?

Sweet as able to order Win7 Pro Full Version @ $38.04 shipped

Had to wait 30 minutes on hold. Ordering took less than 5 minutes. Sucks because if I want a second copy I have to have my sister or girlfriend do it for me

[quote name='J7.']I heard it has to be .edu, but I'd call MS and see if it is eligible.

I think you have to have Vista installed to run the upgrade?[/QUOTE]

I thought someone said we had to have the vista dvd to boot from for some reason. I do run vista and it's a legit copy.

[quote name='J7.']I heard it has to be .edu, but I'd call MS and see if it is eligible.

I think you have to have Vista installed to run the upgrade?[/QUOTE]
My email isn't a .edu, and it went through fine for me online.

bread's done
Back