[DEAD] Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for College Students $30

icedrake523

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Mine just shipped last night from Canada, although I didn't get the promised next day air shipping I was promised in the phone call. When I called back, I was told they'd be refunding my shipping though for the trouble.

However, I'm yet to be charged at all for it. I had a charge that was on my card as pending for the longest time, and it diapered like 3 days ago. They shipped yesterday and no charges yet :)

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Received mines today. Looks to be the retail version from Microsoft.[/QUOTE]
It comes packaged in the same retail box you see in stores?

[quote name='icedrake523']Edited the title so people know it's still available.[/QUOTE]

Good idea. I think the Digital River thing said it was available until January.

Still running RC here, and works pretty well. Been trying to contact my old CIS friends to see if anyone has MSDNAA access still. Free is better than $30.

I still have a free Vista from before I graduated but I never even bothered to use it. :roll: Win7 is great though. I'll gladly pay the $30 if it comes to that.

[quote name='lmz00']It comes packaged in the same retail box you see in stores?[/QUOTE]

Just got mine and pretty much the same as retail package.

Quick question. I got the Win 7 Pro full disc copy. Let's say I install it on my current laptop with vista home premium. Around 8 months from now, let's say I decide to build a computer. Can I use my copy of Win7 pro for the new computer or is it tied to my laptop's vista copy. (If I do follow this route, I will be reformatting the laptop to factory settings and selling it [hopefully])

I'm pretty sure that it's the retail packaging, I think Microsoft just went cheaper on this round. It's more of a smokey plastic, then the clear harder more sturdier ones that Vista had.

I got mine from UPS today, They charged me the full 42.98 even though they were supposed to give me free shipping, for all the screw up.

Thanks for the responses. Had I known, I might've waited. Is the hold time still around an hour, or has it died back a bit?

[quote name='lmz00']Thanks for the responses. Had I known, I might've waited. Is the hold time still around an hour, or has it died back a bit?[/QUOTE]When I called in the other day I got connected right away.

[quote name='lionheart4life']So does anyone have any more info about upgrading from Vista Ultimate to a version of Windows 7?
Does Microsoft offer a student discount on 7 Ultimate? This seems to be the only upgrade path available (without wiping all your programs and files out) from Vista Ultimate.

Please help, I actually am a student so I don't have the time to make backups and a custom install to Windows 7 Pro unless it's not as painful of a process as they make it sound.[/QUOTE]

worked for me from vista ultimate to 7. The upgrade for me gave the option to clean install or install over.

I wiped my hard drive tho and still used the upgrade disk to install without having any os on. Wasnt supposed to work but you can modify the registry to change a 1 to a 0 and the prompt will bypass when activating. Or you can install windows 7 twice with the upgrade disc, but thats time consuming.

[quote name='J7.']Do you really have to email/call them to finish the installation like it says on the box?[/QUOTE]

I didn't call them, I don't see why you would. Maybe if you didn't have internet to active it?

I started to install it, had to get Vista SP1. It's installing but it's been stuck on 45% "Gathering files, settings, and programs" for 2-3 hours. Is this normal?

need a copy for my desktop...

anyone with non edu addresses had luck over the phone? wait times down yet?

Heck, If i order another digital river $30 copy and make iso, would it clean install on my desktop that has no os?

[quote name='guyver2077']need a copy for my desktop...

anyone with non edu addresses had luck over the phone? wait times down yet?

Heck, If i order another digital river $30 copy and make iso, would it clean install on my desktop that has no os?[/QUOTE]

I believe the digital river one is a upgrade, and wouldnt work if you were to clean install. You need a full copy if you are doing that.

[quote name='guyver2077']well ive seen people burn the upgrade to an iso and clean install.. thought it might work..[/QUOTE]

You can do a clean install because I did it with the download from Digital River.

I tried doing it again and uninstalled the programs that wouldn't be compatible (except Google Toolbar which isn't on my computer for some reason). It's once again stuck on 45% of "Gathering files, settings, and programs" and has been for 75 min.

[quote name='icedrake523']I tried doing it again and uninstalled the programs that wouldn't be compatible (except Google Toolbar which isn't on my computer for some reason). It's once again stuck on 45% of "Gathering files, settings, and programs" and has been for 75 min.[/QUOTE]Did you get the digital river deal?

[quote name='gamer1233']Did you get the digital river deal?[/QUOTE]

I used this $30 deal and am trying to use the files I downloaded, not an actual disc.

May be a dumb question, but can you use a CD-R?

I may just wait for the disc I ordered to come here (unfortunately no tracking info was given). I won't try it for another 2 weeks anyway since I don't want to do it when I can't use another computer.

Nope, last time you could use a cd was for windows xp, have to use dvds now. Or if you have a 4gb usb flash drive you can install that way.

[quote name='gamer1233']What I would do is turn those files into an iso then burn it to a dvd, then clean install. but thats just me, I think that would work better for you. I found this thread explaining how to burn to disc I dont know if it works. http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=169044[/QUOTE]

You don't need to turn the files into an ISO... after you unpack them, you can just burn the files into a data DVD and it'll work as an executable disc (even during start up, if you wanna mess with partitions).

Back Up Favorite on IE:
1)Right Click on Toolbar, make sure Menu Bar is checked
2)Click on File, Go down to Import and Export
3)Check Export to File, Check what you want to export, and Save the file

To Import back to IE, just select Import instead of export.

Now for me. Wasn't one of the features of Windows 7 to have IE not load on start up? Where and what is XP Mode? Isn't Windows 7 missing some programs that Vista had(ie. Movie Maker, and IDK what else)?

This is my first time upgrading an operating system, I did a clean install and it was pretty easy. My biggest problem was figuring out how to do the clean install. If anyone else is having this problem, it's done by restarting your system and pressing whatever button on your keyboard to get to the boot menu(probably F12). Then you get a choice of what drive to boot from.

I'm really liking 7 over Vista. Loads much much faster. The show desktop feature pretty awesome too. The bottom right of the taskbar that shows what's running is also organized perfectly for me. Not feeling the quick lauch bar and how it's organized when windows are open but I'll get used to it. Well worth the $38 shipped from Microsoft.

[quote name='Vinny']You don't need to turn the files into an ISO... after you unpack them, you can just burn the files into a data DVD and it'll work as an executable disc (even during start up, if you wanna mess with partitions).[/QUOTE]Ah ok thats easier. Didnt get the digital river deal.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Back Up Favorite on IE:
1)Right Click on Toolbar, make sure Menu Bar is checked
2)Click on File, Go down to Import and Export
3)Check Export to File, Check what you want to export, and Save the file

To Import back to IE, just select Import instead of export.

Now for me. Wasn't one of the features of Windows 7 to have IE not load on start up? Where and what is XP Mode? Isn't Windows 7 missing some programs that Vista had(ie. Movie Maker, and IDK what else)?

This is my first time upgrading an operating system, I did a clean install and it was pretty easy. My biggest problem was figuring out how to do the clean install. If anyone else is having this problem, it's done by restarting your system and pressing whatever button on your keyboard to get to the boot menu(probably F12). Then you get a choice of what drive to boot from.

I'm really liking 7 over Vista. Loads much much faster. The show desktop feature pretty awesome too. The bottom right of the taskbar that shows what's running is also organized perfectly for me. Not feeling the quick lauch bar and how it's organized when windows are open but I'll get used to it. Well worth the $38 shipped from Microsoft.[/QUOTE]
Wow. That is awesome. Thanks!

RE IE probably. XP mode requires a download, see the fine print on your retail box if you have one. Yes, I think you can get some back with Live Essentials or something. So you were able to do a clean install without having to delete anything?

[quote name='MasterSprtn117']So Windows 7 Home Full is not on sale anymore?

I gotta upgrade from XP...so a full version is my only option?[/QUOTE]No, you can get the upgrade if you want.

[quote name='J7.']Wow. That is awesome. Thanks!

RE IE probably. XP mode requires a download, see the fine print on your retail box if you have one. Yes, I think you can get some back with Live Essentials or something. So you were able to do a clean install without having to delete anything?[/QUOTE]

I do have the retail box since I got it from Microsoft with the deal. So I'll check that out later.

Well this would be my first time upgrading an OS, so I'm guessing I did a clean install. I just followed directions from the site on how to do the clean install. I don't have anything from my Vista OS, except for the folder in my HDD that is Windows.old which looks to be the backup of all my programs, desktop, docs, etc. from Vista but nothing is runnable the folder.

Restarting and start up of my computer seems to take 1/2 the time as Vista. I'm definitely happy with that. I also like that my C drive has program files for 64-bit and x86(32bit?) installs.

Ok I'm getting a bit confused. To be clear, is only the UPGRADE version of Home Premium/Pro available now through the digital river link and by calling microsoft directly?? Or can one still call ms and get the FULL versions of Home Premium/Pro??

and did anyone use the same .edu email for the digital river online and calling MS directly? how are licenses handled? do they give you a key you enter or is it tied to whatever email you use? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='J7.']It automatically saved your programs?[/QUOTE]

Yes, during Installation it tells you that all your old files will be saved on your HDD as Windows.old.
I catually deleted Windows.old yesterday after backing everything I needed up and it used a whole 80GB of my HDD. So it basically backs up everything for you into the same HDD. It had my users with everything backed up, my music, my videos, etc.

[quote name='menewbe']Ok I'm getting a bit confused. To be clear, is only the UPGRADE version of Home Premium/Pro available now through the digital river link and by calling microsoft directly?? Or can one still call ms and get the FULL versions of Home Premium/Pro??

and did anyone use the same .edu email for the digital river online and calling MS directly? how are licenses handled? do they give you a key you enter or is it tied to whatever email you use? thanks[/QUOTE]

I used the same .edu email for both Digital River and MS. If you order from DR you will get an emailt o download the upgrade. From MS I had them ship me the version I ordered, which comes in the retail box. I doubt anything is tied to your email. I'm sure I can call MS back with the same email but different name and address(maybe even the same address) and still get in on the order.

man been so busy havent had a chance to call them.

i know its been asked a ton but anyone without a .edu address been able to call MS and order?

The reason i ask is because my college doesnt have .edu address but digital river accepted the address as a university address.

I am trying to get a FULL version for my desktop..

thx

::late::
Not a college student.. but can someone help me out? Or is this against some kind of ToS that'll be flamed for?

Has anyone gotten the disc that came with this deal cause it's been 2 weeks since I ordered and haven't gotten my disc in the mail.

i got my disc from digitalriver, i believe its a full version since it doesn't say upgrade on the disc like my amazon one. The only bummer is that it came in a cardboard slipcover.

Thanks for this. Glad I popped in here today. Was bummed I missed out on the $50 Amazon deal... but this more than makes up for it!

I guess the deal is dead as far as calling Microsoft goes. I just tried to order the disc version (already got the download from them, but wanted one in a retail package), and was told to go to the website to get it through Digital River. :(

[quote name='lmz00']I guess the deal is dead as far as calling Microsoft goes. I just tried to order the disc version (already got the download from them, but wanted one in a retail package), and was told to go to the website to get it through Digital River. :([/QUOTE]

From what I was told they were basically emptied out of the retail version because of this deal. So what I'm assuming actually happened is that they sold more with this deal than they were comfortable with and decided to cut it down to only downloadable.

[quote name='PuNK45S']From what I was told they were basically emptied out of the retail version because of this deal. So what I'm assuming actually happened is that they sold more with this deal than they were comfortable with and decided to cut it down to only downloadable.[/QUOTE]I see. That's what I get for waiting so long to place my second order.

[quote name='gamer1233']No, you can get the upgrade if you want.[/QUOTE]

I thought the upgrade is only for Vista to Windows 7. If I have XP, how can I use the upgrade? Is there no difference between the upgrade and the full editions then? :whistle2:s

[quote name='guyver2077']man been so busy havent had a chance to call them.

i know its been asked a ton but anyone without a .edu address been able to call MS and order?

The reason i ask is because my college doesnt have .edu address but digital river accepted the address as a university address.

I am trying to get a FULL version for my desktop..

thx[/QUOTE]

I don't have an .edu e-mail but am a college student so I showed them proof of my enrollment and received and eligibility e-mail allowing me access to the store. I never had to make a phone call. What happened was they sent me the wrong link to get Office only and I e-mailed them back about that and received a link to order various software including Windows and Office. They only seemed to have Windows 7 Professional Upgrade so I went with that and successfully got a key and link to download the software.

I gotta say Windows 7 is pretty sweet so far and I've barely used it yet. It boots up real quick and looks and feels very nice. Of course gaming is also a bit smoother compared to Vista. I've already installed virtual machine and XP mode but haven't tried it out yet.

bread's done
Back