DEAL IS DEAD Gamestop - used 360 controller $20 / 120 gb hd $25 / more!

paulwekiva

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Deal is Dead.

Received an email from Gamestop yesterday that included a list of sale prices. Some of the highlights (used prices before PUR):

Used Xbox 360 controller (wireless) = $20

Refurbished 360 Hard Drive 60 gb = $20 120 gb = $25

Lalaloopsy (DS) = $20 new (usually $30 ... if you've got a fan in your house...)

There are several drops on holiday titles and the whole list can be found here: http://www.gamestop.com/collection/gamestop-sale?cid=eml_10000422#preownedaccessories

Edit: Several posters are saying that the 250gb HDD is $30 - $35 in store.

Edit (1/11): Although a new round of sales have started, at least the 120 gb is still showing discounted at a price of $24.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kali']i'm tempted to go to my gs and pick up the pink 360 controller. are these controllers really that crappy? I just got a 360 with the gears controllers so i dont know...[/QUOTE]

I've been using the same controllers for 4+ years. Only "problem" I've had is the little bumps on the sticks are gone from using them for so long.

The mics are another story....

[quote name='xsdeal']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu8ZIHjmHB8&feature=related[/QUOTE]

For the record, I had mine in the system without the slim enclosure and it seemed to stay in just fine (assuming you have it standing, if you have it horizontally, the hard drove will put angular pressure on the connectors).

When I did get my case, it was rather difficult to remove the hard drive from the 360... I had to use pliers and pull with the utmost care. Regardless, I kinda feel it's safer with the case...

[quote name='MSUHitman']New wireless controllers are $50 on 360, that's why. Every now and then they get good stuff traded in, like the limited edition controllers. My store I shop at has had Halo 3 ODST/Reach and Gears 3 controllers come through in near mint condition. I bought the MLB The Show 11 special baseball skinned Dual Shock 3 last summer that had been used maybe once.[/QUOTE]

Amazon has been selling the wireless controllers in the $35-$40 range for a while now. Hell, you can get a new wired controller for $30.

[quote name='Vinny']For the record, I had mine in the system without the slim enclosure and it seemed to stay in just fine (assuming you have it standing, if you have it horizontally, the hard drove will put angular pressure on the connectors).

When I did get my case, it was rather difficult to remove the hard drive from the 360... I had to use pliers and pull with the utmost care. Regardless, I kinda feel it's safer with the case...[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the insight. This is exactly why I will likely buy an enclosure, since I keep my 360 horizontal.

[quote name='ewiz06']Thanks for the insight. This is exactly why I will likely buy an enclosure, since I keep my 360 horizontal.[/QUOTE]

Total waste of money. All you need is something soft on either side of the HDD to hold it in place. I used a small sponge on either side and it doesn't move at all. I always have my 360 horizontal and pack it up and move it all the time. Had it like this for a year and zero issues.

Checked all the GS's around Jacksonville, NC and no normal wireless 360 controllers. They have some with the play n charge battery, but no cable, so you can't use them unless you have a regular battery pack cover or play n charge cable.

odd... my local gamestop has ZERO used wireless xbox 360 controllers for some reason.

edit: I'd order one online but told myself I'd never order used online from them again... they have actual shit I would throw away before trying to sell to someone. bla, will probably take the risk again and just return in store if it's a broken pos

[quote name='killer9']hmmm have a 120gb already ehh i guess i will one store has a 250gb 5 miles away[/QUOTE]

How do you know this? I can't find the preowned 250GB HD online.

[quote name='Romeo']How do you know this? I can't find the preowned 250GB HD online.[/QUOTE]
You need to call any store and have them search through their computer. I think that's the only way to find out.

I purchased a 120gb from target clearance for 25 sold month xbl for 15-20. I havent installed it yet but can someone tell me ehat is the easiest way to transfer everything to the new drive

Just picked up a 120GB from my local GameStop. As a lot of folks have already said, the salesperson had no clue it was on sale. Ended up being $22.49 w/ rewards card discount. Although I know a number of people have already said that using a sponge or piece of rubber will keep the hard drive in place without moving, I plan to still buy a case. I can get one for around $7 (U.S. seller) and have it here within 2 days. I won't have to worry about the hard drive moving around once installed and if I need to take it out I won't need a pair of pliers to do so.

Thanks OP for the heads up on this deal.

[quote name='nasfone']I purchased a 120gb from target clearance for 25 sold month xbl for 15-20. I havent installed it yet but can someone tell me ehat is the easiest way to transfer everything to the new drive[/QUOTE]
It comes with the cable.

thanks op! picked up a 120gb fat that I'm going to stick in my kids 4gb slim, saved me some money and now they can download the 6gb of games that came with their kinect! lol

[quote name='shaneatlh']Just got a Final Fantasy XIII 250GB HARD DRIVE AT GS in Dallas, TX. Awesome to the max[/QUOTE]

I got the same today for $31. Thank you OP!

I picked up a 250GB drive, possibly FAKE.

The drive has *NO* Microsoft stickers on it ANYWHERE and the "250G HDD" sticker on top isn't straight. It has all the "Gamestop Refurbished Void If Removed" holographic stickers on the drive. Has GS just replaced a damaged shell, or is this some Hong Kong bootleg drive?

I haven't opened it yet until I can figure out if it's fake or not.

If anybody knows, let me know! :D

Picked up a 250 GB HD to open and put in an extra 4 GB slim I have. I found a Fable 3 controller looked like new and a pink controller which looked like new. I didn't need any controllers, but didn't want to pass on these prices. Ill take them apart and clean them up so they are just like new. I know some say these dont last, but I take mine apart once a year or so, clean the grime from sweat etc, and had some for 3 or more years with no issues.

[quote name='emperordahc']I picked up a 250GB drive, possibly FAKE.

The drive has *NO* Microsoft stickers on it ANYWHERE and the "250G HDD" sticker on top isn't straight. It has all the "Gamestop Refurbished Void If Removed" holographic stickers on the drive. Has GS just replaced a damaged shell, or is this some Hong Kong bootleg drive?[/QUOTE]Same question here, only sticker is the GameStop Refurbished sticker. Not scratched up at all, but just curious if I should be worried.

[quote name='AAK_SO_COLD']Do they have to do more than scan the item?[/QUOTE]For the correct price to come up? I don't believe so, I asked the clerk to scan when I called to check inventory and it popped up the sale price.

W[quote name='stickyfeet']Picked up a 250 GB HD to open and put in an extra 4 GB slim I have. I found a Fable 3 controller looked like new and a pink controller which looked like new. I didn't need any controllers, but didn't want to pass on these prices. Ill take them apart and clean them up so they are just like new. I know some say these dont last, but I take mine apart once a year or so, clean the grime from sweat etc, and had some for 3 or more years with no issues.[/QUOTE]

What and how are you cleaning these controllers with? Are you just unscrewing the shell and cleaning w soap and water?

The drive has *NO* Microsoft stickers on it ANYWHERE and the "250G HDD" sticker on top isn't straight. It has all the "Gamestop Refurbished Void If Removed" holographic stickers on the drive. Has GS just replaced a damaged shell, or is this some Hong Kong bootleg drive?

If anybody knows, let me know! :D[/QUOTE]

Anybody else get a fake looking harddrive like this?!

30lm1s3.jpg

[quote name='emperordahc']Anybody else get a fake looking harddrive like this?![/QUOTE]That is exactly what mine looks like (no large MS sticker in the center).

I tried it out on my 360, which liked the drive just fine -- guess I'm going to risk it and use it. I keep my saves on a memory card/the cloud so would just have to download DLC and reinstall if the drive goes wonky.

The manager apologized and was surprised at it being non original. They had no more 250gb, so exchanged for a 120gb and $10 back.

[quote name='jstew9']That is exactly what mine looks like (no large MS sticker in the center).

I tried it out on my 360, which liked the drive just fine -- guess I'm going to risk it and use it. I keep my saves on a memory card/the cloud so would just have to download DLC and reinstall if the drive goes wonky.[/QUOTE]

Mines looks the same are you sure it is a bootleg?

If anybody knows, let me know! :D[/QUOTE]

Sure, it's probably a fake but you picked up a 250GB drive for dirt cheap. cheaper than buying a fake off of Ebay or Amazon.

the only issues are if it's a fake without the second partition, you won't be able to run Xbox1 games (as the compatibility profiles are stored in the second partition) and some commercial 360 games demand that the second partition be present.

also, it's possible that Microsoft could ban the system as they can identify these hard drives since they all have the same identifiers, but most likely won't because enough honest customers unwittingly bought these thinking they're real.

sure, if you paid $$$ for Louis Vuitton and got a knockoff, you should be pissed. but you paid a knockoff price on a knockoff.

[quote name='dirtyvu']Sure, it's probably a fake but you picked up a 250GB drive for dirt cheap. cheaper than buying a fake off of Ebay or Amazon.

sure, if you paid $$$ for Louis Vuitton and got a knockoff, you should be pissed. but you paid a knockoff price on a knockoff.[/QUOTE]

Seriously...?! Or trolling?

A sale on a clearance old used hard drive =/= fake knockoff products.

[quote name='gepet0']Mines looks the same are you sure it is a bootleg?[/QUOTE]

I dont know. I found no info online about Gamestop replacing housing on refurbs; i spent hours looking. It sounds like a bootleg from ebay that got traded in, quickly inspected and shipped back out. To me, its not worth the chance. I keep consoles, so i dont want a dead drive a year down the road.

[quote name='Romeo']Seriously...?! Or trolling?

A sale on a clearance old used hard drive =/= fake knockoff products.[/QUOTE]

being real. seriously, if you're counting on Gamestop to screen products carefully, you're looking in the wrong place. people sell their banned 360 consoles to Gamestop. people sell systems with failing DVD drives to Gamestop. Gamestop's idea of checking out a system is to boot up a game and see if it loads. Just pray that your dying 360 works when they boot up the game and your console is sold. Not saying it's right and it's definitely something I wouldn't do personally, but I know people that get away with it.

Yes, Gamestop should be more responsible. But when it comes to used, it's used. Caveat emptor. You still get Gamestop's warranty so you have some peace of mind that the product can be easily swapped.

Now, if the hardware is tagged Microsoft refurbished, I'd have more peace of mind because that means it got sent to Microsoft, wiped out and tested, and then repackaged to be resold for ancillary income.

If I saw a 250GB used drive for $30 at Gamestop, fake or not, I'd still buy it. It's still 250GB for $30!

[quote name='shivan128']When I asked them the price of the 250gb HD, the GS clerk told me $70... is this YMMV?[/QUOTE]

They have to scan it in for the sale price. This happened to me today when I called for the $22 move remote, it still had the $4x.xx sticker on it.

[quote name='Sonne']They have to scan it in for the sale price. This happened to me today when I called for the $22 move remote, it still had the $4x.xx sticker on it.[/QUOTE]

The reason I ask is because I went to my GS today and bought the wired controller (used). The 360 wired controller rang up as $30 today for me.

Hmm...250 GB for $30-$35 seems like a decent deal/reason to upgrade from my 120 GB. Now if only Gamestop would carry slim hard drive shells that would save me a trip or two.

bread's done
Back