DEAL IS DEAD Gamestop - used 360 controller $20 / 120 gb hd $25 / more!

paulwekiva

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Deal is Dead.

Received an email from Gamestop yesterday that included a list of sale prices. Some of the highlights (used prices before PUR):

Used Xbox 360 controller (wireless) = $20

Refurbished 360 Hard Drive 60 gb = $20 120 gb = $25

Lalaloopsy (DS) = $20 new (usually $30 ... if you've got a fan in your house...)

There are several drops on holiday titles and the whole list can be found here: http://www.gamestop.com/collection/gamestop-sale?cid=eml_10000422#preownedaccessories

Edit: Several posters are saying that the 250gb HDD is $30 - $35 in store.

Edit (1/11): Although a new round of sales have started, at least the 120 gb is still showing discounted at a price of $24.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone is looking for a hard drive transfer kit send me a PM. If you pay for shipping and maybe $2 extra (the cost of me driving to the post office), I'll mail it to you.

Edit: It's gone - that was quick!

Okay I drove to another store and got one with the ms stickers. The clerk swears both are official.

The ms doesn't have a gamestop refurb sticker on it LOL

I can't see gamestop knowingly reselling bootleg drives. I say possible refurbish company,

Scored brand new (pre-owned) 360 wireless controller for $17.99 after PUR. Guess someone traded one in and didn't want it for some reason

[quote name='gepet0']Okay I drove to another store and got one with the ms stickers. The clerk swears both are official.

The ms doesn't have a gamestop refurb sticker on it LOL

I can't see gamestop knowingly reselling bootleg drives. I say possible refurbish company,[/QUOTE]

Well, to be completely honest... a fake drive is like real 99% of the time and it is virtually undetectable unless you do test. The 1% is when you want to play xbox game.

all back in stock online... anyone able to get PUR 10% discount on them? not working online for some reason :roll:

edit: no free shipping either on an order over $60? wtf?

I picked up a used black controller for $21 and change after tax. Haven't tested it yet but it looks brand new. Will test tonight. Great deal if it works.

[quote name='emperordahc']Anybody else get a fake looking harddrive like this?!

30lm1s3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yep. I picked up a 250 gb that looked like this last night. It was a bit worn around the connectors and had a "gamestop refurb" sticker on it. It was the only 250gb near me, so I took a chance and did surgery on it. The drive inside looked good. It was a 250gb Hitachi SATA. I slotted it into a Slim 4gb I had and it worked just fine. Haven't tested with an original Xbox game, but I'll try that tonight. For $35, it was worth the chance to me.

Buying a used 360 controller is just asking for trouble. Hell sometimes you get pretty much new one just used for a few hours but most people these days trade them in after a longer period of use. I know a evil guy at a local game store he buys used controllers on ebays and fixes them so they are temp fixes or use cheap replacement parts to fix them. I used to do custom paint jobs for the shells of these so i bought a bunch of controllers 25+ and will tell you this these things do wear down the analog sticks fast. They are prone for that and certain games like hockey you get super pissed cause of the drifting that goes on and when you go the other direction of the drift the skater stops then goes again. If you play hockey you know that would cause people to get past you and good chance to score. The point is the analog sticks wear to easy on 360 ms controllers so buyer beware. It does not mean if you buy one it will not last awhile just your odds are so bad on used ones just like older xboxs why did people keep buying used and when they rrod they blame other people when they should of never done it cause it was a well known fact. Oh well wish you luck.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Well, to be completely honest... a fake drive is like real 99% of the time and it is virtually undetectable unless you do test. The 1% is when you want to play xbox game.[/QUOTE]After reading the thread today I went and played an original Xbox game on my 360 with the 'no MS sticker' 250g I purchased and it ran just fine -- I guess that means it is an official drive?

Well not 100 percent sure it's official but pretty much it's official. I don't think they take the extra time to do the procedure to get xbox games compatible. I wouldn't sweat it.

[quote name='ClevelandBrowns']Does PUR not work on this? It isn't applying it to the price online. None of my stores have it.[/QUOTE]

It should since it's a accessory

[quote name='ClevelandBrowns']Does PUR not work on this? It isn't applying it to the price online. None of my stores have it.[/QUOTE]

Works in-store. Doesnt stack with employee discount though :sadface:

[quote name='jstew9']After reading the thread today I went and played an original Xbox game on my 360 with the 'no MS sticker' 250g I purchased and it ran just fine -- I guess that means it is an official drive?[/QUOTE]

It could still be fake; partition 2 (required for backwards compatibility) can be added to any drive.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND TRYING ANY OF THE BELOW, BUT I WILL LEAVE IT AS GENERAL INFORMATION.

How to format a generic harddrive for the 360, including backwards compatibility: http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/co...b-sata-drive-work-xbox-360-xbox-360-slim.html

Actual partition 2 backup than can be installed to enable backwards compatibility: http://digiex.net/downloads/downloa...360-partition-2-download-xbox-1-emulator.html

I've found on other forums where people have bought drives from Gamestop that don't have that partition (so Xbox 1 games won't run), so they know beyond a shadow of a doubt it was fake. In other words, don't trust Gamestop to sell you real stuff and always test it out completely when you get it home. Reference: http://digiex.net/downloads/downloa...0-partition-2-download-xbox-1-emulator-2.html

[quote name='midloo']Yep. I picked up a 250 gb that looked like this last night. It was a bit worn around the connectors and had a "gamestop refurb" sticker on it. It was the only 250gb near me, so I took a chance and did surgery on it. The drive inside looked good. It was a 250gb Hitachi SATA. I slotted it into a Slim 4gb I had and it worked just fine. Haven't tested with an original Xbox game, but I'll try that tonight. For $35, it was worth the chance to me.[/QUOTE]

Can someone tell me if these are standard SATA drives that could also be put into a PS3?

[quote name='bgame2']Can someone tell me if these are standard SATA drives that could also be put into a PS3?[/QUOTE]
Yes; they're both 2.5" notebook sized SATA. The PS3 doesn't care what you throw at it (I'm using an old Macbook drive in my PS3), it'll happily format it. The 360 requires the drive to be pre-formatted for it.

[quote name='jr233270']If anyone is looking for a hard drive transfer kit send me a PM. If you pay for shipping and maybe $2 extra (the cost of me driving to the post office), I'll mail it to you.

Edit: It's gone - that was quick![/QUOTE]

If anyone else has an extra one, I would be willing to purchase it from you.

[quote name='Wrong']If anyone else has an extra one, I would be willing to purchase it from you.[/QUOTE]

Dont forget you can use a usb drive to move your saves, dlc, etc onto, swap hard drives and move it back. I just did it to move my 20gb to my 120gb. You cant move xbox 1 saves via a usb drive, though.

[quote name='emperordahc']Dont forget you can use a usb drive to move your saves, dlc, etc onto, swap hard drives and move it back. I just did it to move my 20gb to my 120gb. You cant move xbox 1 saves via a usb drive, though.[/QUOTE]

Oh yea. I'll do that.

[quote name='emperordahc']Yes; they're both 2.5" notebook sized SATA. The PS3 doesn't care what you throw at it (I'm using an old Macbook drive in my PS3), it'll happily format it. The 360 requires the drive to be pre-formatted for it.[/QUOTE]

Remember that only specific Western Digital models are compatible and you need to get a hold of the security sector of an actual xbox 360 drive.

Thanks OP! Deal of the young year for me so far... even got the Final Fantasy 250GB one so no worries of fakes. And to think, a couple of months ago I was close to getting a new 120 GB on eBay in the $50-60 range.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Buying a used 360 controller is just asking for trouble. Hell sometimes you get pretty much new one just used for a few hours but most people these days trade them in after a longer period of use. I know a evil guy at a local game store he buys used controllers on ebays and fixes them so they are temp fixes or use cheap replacement parts to fix them. I used to do custom paint jobs for the shells of these so i bought a bunch of controllers 25+ and will tell you this these things do wear down the analog sticks fast. They are prone for that and certain games like hockey you get super pissed cause of the drifting that goes on and when you go the other direction of the drift the skater stops then goes again. If you play hockey you know that would cause people to get past you and good chance to score. The point is the analog sticks wear to easy on 360 ms controllers so buyer beware. It does not mean if you buy one it will not last awhile just your odds are so bad on used ones just like older xboxs why did people keep buying used and when they rrod they blame other people when they should of never done it cause it was a well known fact. Oh well wish you luck.[/QUOTE]

I tested my used controller last night for a few hours playing gears 3 and had no issues. Maybe i'm lucky but it looks brand new and plays like it's brand new so i'm happy with my purchase especially for $21. I also bought an official MS pink battery pack off amazon for $5 and got it the next day with amazon prime. It sucks that it's pink but i refuse to pay $20 for a black one to match my controller and i'll just deal with the color.

Called into a GS to have them hold a 250 HD for me to pick up. After work yesterday, I went in and asked for it and they told me it was marked to ship off. Was not a happy camper!! GS you suck!!!

[quote name='wolverinefactor']So wait, I can use my FAT 360 250gb hdd? My 360 just stopped reading discs and I want a slim (WIRELESS!!!!!!!!!)[/QUOTE]

You can take the (fat) hard drive out of the housing and put it into your slim model xbox360. I went and bought a cradle for it so that it seats like any other slim model HD from ebay for $6.

[quote name='Kazuya']Thanks OP! Deal of the young year for me so far... even got the Final Fantasy 250GB one so no worries of fakes. And to think, a couple of months ago I was close to getting a new 120 GB on eBay in the $50-60 range.[/QUOTE]

Stupeid question - Can you tell if its an FF HD by the shell or did you find out after you installed it?

[quote name='Gideon68']Stupeid question - Can you tell if its an FF HD by the shell or did you find out after you installed it?[/QUOTE]

Instead of saying 250GB, it has a sketch of Lightning.

[quote name='Gideon68']Stupeid question - Can you tell if its an FF HD by the shell or did you find out after you installed it?[/QUOTE]
the case says FF

[quote name='shivan128']Called into a GS to have them hold a 250 HD for me to pick up. After work yesterday, I went in and asked for it and they told me it was marked to ship off. Was not a happy camper!! GS you suck!!![/QUOTE]

That's too bad Shivan. I found a 250 GB HDD at one of the GS near me and they said they would hold it and actually did. Bought it and was able to use my PUR discount on it. It was a FF HDD (had the Final Fantasy logo on a holographic sticker on the front of the HDD) and on the back had the Gamestop holosticker (larger sticker) and a small MS holo sticker as well.

I was hoping that it would come with a tranfer kit but it did not. Fortunately I still have my transfer kit and cables from when I upgraded my fat 360 from 20 GB HDD to 120 HDD. So be forewarned if you go for this, that there is not a transfer cable included.

Found with some games, Forza 3 and 4, you can not copy the save files onto a USB or even onto a XBox 360 memory card (8 GB card that is basically a USB connected thing). Will have to do a search online to see if there is a workaround so that I can copy my Forza saves for use on a friend's Xbox 360.

Thanks for the heads up OP on this deal!

[quote name='memex']I tested my used controller last night for a few hours playing gears 3 and had no issues. Maybe i'm lucky but it looks brand new and plays like it's brand new so i'm happy with my purchase especially for $21. I also bought an official MS pink battery pack off amazon for $5 and got it the next day with amazon prime. It sucks that it's pink but i refuse to pay $20 for a black one to match my controller and i'll just deal with the color.[/QUOTE]
Well a few hours is nothing use it for a week or a month and see. There are so many ways to temp fix the analog sticks and many ebay people do this or use 3rd party repair parts for the analog sticks and they tend to wear even faster then the original. I fixed enough of my personal ones 20+ and nothing beats a brand new one with original parts. They have these new for 25 shipped on amazon off and on or max 30 for black one with free ship and no tax that to me is way better deal.

If you do not believe how fast these controllers go google and find out. If you FPS or play sports a lot it tends to wear the analog sticks down even faster. The FPS Freek analog sticks rule but they tend to wear the analog sticks even faster. I still use them but i know what i am getting into.

But always 2nd hand stuff is always unknown. I got some repaired controllers i would sell for $10 and look brand new just pay ship. But they are repaired and work fine now but few weeks to 2 months they will be lemons again depending how much you play.

Just keep that in mind these controllers do not last even brand new and a used one = wears out even faster... Save a few bucks now but in the long run most people will lose money. To each there own but i hope the MGS controller for $100 will be good and will not wear like ms ones do.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Well a few hours is nothing use it for a week or a month and see. There are so many ways to temp fix the analog sticks and many ebay people do this or use 3rd party repair parts for the analog sticks and they tend to wear even faster then the original. I fixed enough of my personal ones 20+ and nothing beats a brand new one with original parts. They have these new for 25 shipped on amazon off and on or max 30 for black one with free ship and no tax that to me is way better deal.

If you do not believe how fast these controllers go google and find out. If you FPS or play sports a lot it tends to wear the analog sticks down even faster. The FPS Freek analog sticks rule but they tend to wear the analog sticks even faster. I still use them but i know what i am getting into.

But always 2nd hand stuff is always unknown. I got some repaired controllers i would sell for $10 and look brand new just pay ship. But they are repaired and work fine now but few weeks to 2 months they will be lemons again depending how much you play.

Just keep that in mind these controllers do not last even brand new and a used one = wears out even faster... Save a few bucks now but in the long run most people will lose money. To each there own but i hope the MGS controller for $100 will be good and will not wear like ms ones do.[/QUOTE]

I still have my launch controller and it is working fine, in fact I currently have 6 controllers and not a single issue (two purchased used).

** I also have three kids that play much more than I do

Got a used 120GB from GameStop on Sunday for $22.40 w/ PUR. Got a case off of eBay for $6.59 that was delivered today. In less than 5 minutes I had the hard drive out of it's old case, into the new Slim case from eBay and installed in my 360 Slim. The fit was perfect. No complaints about a 120GB Slim hard drive for less than $30. Would have been nice to get the 250GB for $10 more but none of my 3 local stores had any left, plus I know I would never use even close to the full 120GB I have because I don't stream many movies on the Xbox or store many games, so the 250GB would've been overkill. All in all, good deal.

[quote name='shivan128']You can take the (fat) hard drive out of the housing and put it into your slim model xbox360. I went and bought a cradle for it so that it seats like any other slim model HD from ebay for $6.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot! i did this while only a few issues. Not having the right size screwdriver was a problem and I had a stripped screw. Care to provide any links to an ebay listing so I know what the cradle looks like? That way it sits better in there.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Well a few hours is nothing use it for a week or a month and see. There are so many ways to temp fix the analog sticks and many ebay people do this or use 3rd party repair parts for the analog sticks and they tend to wear even faster then the original. I fixed enough of my personal ones 20+ and nothing beats a brand new one with original parts. They have these new for 25 shipped on amazon off and on or max 30 for black one with free ship and no tax that to me is way better deal.

Just keep that in mind these controllers do not last even brand new and a used one = wears out even faster... Save a few bucks now but in the long run most people will lose money. To each there own but i hope the MGS controller for $100 will be good and will not wear like ms ones do.[/QUOTE]

No problems here with my controllers either, brand new from the box, my hands and thumbs are wearing faster than my controllers! My cousins have used the standard 360 controllers for a long time without complaining about wear and they play like crazy. I know people who have had controllers for years so clearly not everyone wears through controllers fast.

[quote name='wolverinefactor']Thanks a lot! i did this while only a few issues. Not having the right size screwdriver was a problem and I had a stripped screw. Care to provide any links to an ebay listing so I know what the cradle looks like? That way it sits better in there.[/QUOTE]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190575522826

This is the one that I bought (I see another for a buck cheaper as well)

Why wont the PUR discount this online! I have waited a few days to see if maybe it was a glitch that would be fixed, but it still doesn't work. I'm not too worried about stock, because they have had over 700 for the past few days. I am just worried that the deal is only for this week. The 10% isn't even that much, but I paid for the card so I want to use it when I can. It basically just makes it free shipping which is nice. I'm thinking I am just going to order it and forget about the discount.

Edit: I have added a lot of used controllers and other accessories and none of them are applying the discount either. I notice they all say "not available for in store pick up." I am not trying to pick them up in store but maybe that is why the discount isn't applied? I can't figure out why it wouldn't apply it but I am just going to go ahead and order it.

[quote name='ewiz06']Got a used 120GB from GameStop on Sunday for $22.40 w/ PUR. Got a case off of eBay for $6.59 that was delivered today. In less than 5 minutes I had the hard drive out of it's old case, into the new Slim case from eBay and installed in my 360 Slim. The fit was perfect. No complaints about a 120GB Slim hard drive for less than $30. Would have been nice to get the 250GB for $10 more but none of my 3 local stores had any left, plus I know I would never use even close to the full 120GB I have because I don't stream many movies on the Xbox or store many games, so the 250GB would've been overkill. All in all, good deal.[/QUOTE]

You think 250 GB is overkill but it's not.

I was rocking a 120 GB and was always bumping the limit with only some DLC and my core games. It reached the point where I was removing games as I added more DLC.

I just got a 250GB drive today at Gamestop. fingers crossed that it's a good drive. it's an authentic drive but who knows if the person that sold it to Gamestop dropped it or something. now I have to do the arduous task of transferring 120 GB without a transfer cable...

Got a 60gb drive today and had a question for you fine folks. Has anyone here tried one of those cheapo eBay transfer cables? If so..is it worth the $5 or so?

FYI - according to the 2 stores I called, the sale on the hard drives ends tonight. Sucks, I was holding off until tomorrow or Saturday when I'd have the time to venture to some farther out stores to get in on a 250GB. Next time.

Thanks Op. Was able to score the last Official 250GB HD from the Elite model @ my local GS tonight for $38.xx.:D

bread's done
Back