Dear Wii: I Love you, but....

lilboo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
My love for the Wii is sorta going up and down.

I am having such off and on success with connecting to the internet. When the connection DOES work, it takes such a long time to get into the Wii Shop. Sometimes, it just goes on and on and on..

I love how I'll check the connection settings, and I'll get the "Unable to connect to the internet" message. But my PC next to it, is connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi. My 360 works fine, from Wi-Fi. My DSLite works fine, from Wi-Fi. DS & Wii use the SAME thing, so why is the Wii giving me such a hard time?

The funny thing is, whenever I test the connection and get that bullshit "unable to connect" message.. I'll re-do the settings and I'll search for an access point and it will actually say "No access points in range.".......?? And I'll do this 2-6 more times until it finds my connection. AAAAND! the connection is all 3 lines and green as the damn grass on my lawn. So it's def not a signal problem.

So, if this is just some early bugs that do get fixed ASAP I'll be very happy. But if this is how it is for me... then I'll have a very unhappy wii purchase under my belt :( ESPECIALLY when the Wii is "Always on" and connected to the internet 24/7...but yet, it can't find my access points but my PC, 360, DS, and PSP have no problem finding.

Oh and also, they need to get their shit together. They give you an error code and when you go on the support section on their site they really say "Specific Code Not Found". How the fuck are you going to do that?!

This is one of the things I'm hating in general about video games: EVERYTHING just feels rushed. The system itself and the games I've played so far have been GREAT and I'm loving this system SO much. But they just throw these things out to be out and things aren't even ready yet! I mean WHY isn't the weather, news, and Opera browser ready? Not that I need the weather & news channel on my Wii, but why offer it if it's not going to be ready?!

Really uncalled for IMO.

I still love this system very much, and am having a BLAST with it. But I should be able to connect to the internet with no problem. And also, my blue light should be on. Every picture I've seen of the Wii since 2005 have been the Wii with that damn blue light on.

Anyone else agree..?

I dunno if it's even really a glitch with the systems that they'd have to fix. I'm thinking it's just their network getting overloaded. We'll see if it improves.

The internet problem is not an unexpected one. Hell, I can't even logon to Nintendo.com. If it continues after the initial rush (i.e. launch day) then I'll be upset.

As far as the light... I know what their decision was on that, but I think a firmware update should give us options for the blue light config. In the meantime, you just need to get people to send you messages all the time so the light is pulsing constantly.

[quote name='botticus']The internet problem is not an unexpected one. Hell, I can't even logon to Nintendo.com. If it continues after the initial rush (i.e. launch day) then I'll be upset.

As far as the light... I know what their decision was on that, but I think a firmware update should give us options for the blue light config. In the meantime, you just need to get people to send you messages all the time so the light is pulsing constantly.[/QUOTE]

Oh really? See I haven't done much interacting online yet. But if I'm having connection problems.. how would I be able to get messages? :(

And BTW, what was their decision for not having the blue light on??

Though, Botticus is right I haven't been able to log into Nintendo.com all day. So HOPEFULLY this is just an overwhelming amount on the servers at once. I understand we don't pay for the server...but c'mon :)

Really just can't wait until this thing is 100%. Everything is ready, everything is working. I know it JUST came out today..but, things should never be "almost" ready or done.

Don't any of you guys remember the DS Wi-Fi launch? I got Mario Kart on the first day and it was not playable online, it had major issues!

[quote name='onacouch']Don't any of you guys remember the DS Wi-Fi launch? I got Mario Kart on the first day and it was not playable online, it had major issues![/QUOTE]

I didn't have my DS at that point.

Do you remember how long it took for them to get everything resolved?

I'm very glad I have it. No where in my post did I say I hate it and am unhappy. I'm just unhappy with what's NOT there and was promised to be there.

having problems getting mine to connect as well.. it sees connection, starts to update and after about1/3 the way it gets a connection error and craps out i'm hoping their servers are just being hit hard today and it will clear up in a few days.

Let's bitch about the interest of the Wii when it has been out for less than 24 hours! Yeah that makes sense!

I havent been able to get into the shop yet either today.
Not a big deal, didnt plan on buying anything but i'd like to see it at least.

[quote name='David85']Let's bitch about the interest of the Wii when it has been out for less than 24 hours! Yeah that makes sense![/QUOTE]

The point I'm trying to make is.. why weren't they prepared for this? Open up more servers or whatever. Even if someone didn't really wanna use any of the internet functions, it doesn't matter. It comes with the option to do so (and is meant to be a Wi-Fi console, hence "WiiConnect24") and it should work.

I think that's a pretty valid complaint, imo

I'm giving them leeway for 2 reasons:
I don't have mine on the intertubes, so nyah ;)
It's launch day, so I'm expecting them to have bugs. Especially since N's new to this.

I agree, I'd be annoyed, but we need to give them some time.

No matter how much you have planned there isn't a way for things to perfect. It's like the person bitching at Nintendo because they didn't have billions of consoles made. Give it time, if it's not fixxed by next week then bitch.

[quote name='David85']No matter how much you have planned there isn't a way for things to perfect. [/QUOTE]

Exactly... it's really hard to simulate and accurately predict how many people are going to hit a server at any given time. Nintendo probably did the best they could to make sure the servers could handle this but it is nearly impossible to guess what kind of strain is going to happen.

They probably did everything right according to their calculations but the amount of people hitting up the server probably was greater than they anticipated.

It's why every huge MMORPG always sucks on launch day.

[quote name='lilboo']I'm very glad I have it. No where in my post did I say I hate it and am unhappy. I'm just unhappy with what's NOT there and was promised to be there.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I know, I just wanted to make my cheap joke.

I managed to access the online shop Sunday around 5am. I haven't been able to do this a single time since. Their servers are just dying under the pressure. For as many people waited for the PS3 and then like 1/8 actually got one, like 9/10 of the waiters got their Wiis, so, the problems are expected. It is annoying though.

[quote name='lilboo']The point I'm trying to make is.. why weren't they prepared for this? Open up more servers or whatever. Even if someone didn't really wanna use any of the internet functions, it doesn't matter. It comes with the option to do so (and is meant to be a Wi-Fi console, hence "WiiConnect24") and it should work.

I think that's a pretty valid complaint, imo[/quote]

....Where is your perfectly successful and working launch of your system? Shit, at least more people got a Wii and no one so far got shot over it.

I have had no problems getting online or updating my system. Ever play an online game the first day it comes out? Ever notice it never runs perfectly fine? Ten bucks, by morning you will be able to do all the shit you have been bitching about. That or your Wii is effed in the A and it is the hardware not the servers.

[quote name='Kendal']....Where is your perfectly successful and working launch of your system? Shit, at least more people got a Wii and no one so far got shot over it.

I have had no problems getting online or updating my system. Ever play an online game the first day it comes out? Ever notice it never runs perfectly fine? Ten bucks, by morning you will be able to do all the shit you have been bitching about. That or your Wii is effed in the A and it is the hardware not the servers.[/QUOTE]

No no I have been able to get on and access the shop like twice. I did manage to download Mario 64. So I know it's not a hardware thing for me. Hopefully you are right and tomorrow everything is good.

I know these errors and severs getting clogged are expected..but it just IS annoying really :p

And BTW, whats up with the blue light? I've seen many people say shit about the light. Yes, it's just a blue light and it's no big deal. But c'mon. Near;y almost every pic you have seen of the Wii since 2005 has been the console w/ it's blue light on!

I'm a little upset about the only way connecting to the internet being through wireless. For me it would've been a lot easier just through a straight up connection.

Well today made some progress. I still get the unable to connect to the internet message, but at least now when I search for an access point it's actually finding it now!

I hope today when I come home from work that things are even more improved :whistle2:\

And really, it doesn't make sense for them to be able to handle the launch load. It's unlikely they'll ever get the server hits (especially for updates, etc.) again beyond these inital 48-72 hours. Maybe Dec 24-26 they'll get rocked hard again too, but the rest of the Wii's life? Nah.

So why should they invest the money in making sure they can handle this insane inital load? It does suck, but it'll even out in a day or two and everything will be just ducky. :)

Sorry to hear that people are having problems connecting to the store but I was able to connect to it everytime I accessed it (disapointed so far that only 12 or so vitual console titles are available).

[quote name='daroga']And really, it doesn't make sense for them to be able to handle the launch load. It's unlikely they'll ever get the server hits (especially for updates, etc.) again beyond these inital 48-72 hours. Maybe Dec 24-26 they'll get rocked hard again too, but the rest of the Wii's life? Nah.

So why should they invest the money in making sure they can handle this insane inital load? It does suck, but it'll even out in a day or two and everything will be just ducky. :)[/quote]Generally, yeah, but they'll obviously be scaling their infrastructure as their install base grows. But yes, it would be silly to have enough serving power to handle what is probably triple your expected average load.

Maybe Nintendo should have waited a year like they did with the DS? Even better they could have pulled a GameCube and said they were going to make it online and then don't.

It's basically what they've done. The console itself is online, but other than updates, there isn't really anything online intensive. The messaging system works flawlessly, though.

But they did wait probably 3-6 months to get games online. At least in the US, being the biggest market. Frankly I have a feeling that's why Japan will see Pokemon Battle Revolution online well before us. Much smaller test market to see how it goes.

I knew it would be hell to get it online reliably for at least a week or so that didn't surprise me. I got Mario Kart DS at launch and like others have said, it was really janky initially. Matchmaking took FOREVER to find anyone and drops would occur a lot.

The only thing that disappoints me is that some of the Wii channels are not available yet. I think we have the right to expect all of the advertised channels to be functional on launch. It sucks that we have to wait for the these channels to be activated - especially Opera.

[quote name='David85']Let's bitch about the interest of the Wii when it has been out for less than 24 hours! Yeah that makes sense![/QUOTE]

We did for the PS3!

Anywho, I love the Wii. It was bound to be a little bit of a let down because I was so hyped for it though. Weather/News/VC Games are a tad disappointing and the classic controller doesn't feel as good as I'd wanted it to, but I'm in love with Wii Sports a lot more then I'd thought I would be plus the whole Freeloader working thing is absolutely awesome. I can understand being a little deflated from the hype, but compared to other system launches, Wii is gold.

Yeah, I don't think this is a connection issue (at least in terms of your Wii connecting to your router) at all. It's just the server getting absolutely SLAMMED by the hundreds of thousands of new Wii owners, each of whose consoles are downloading the initial upgrades (mine took two 20-40 minute bar crawls) and investigating the VC store all at once. That crowd should be MUCH more staggered from here on out, with occasional spikes (especially Japanese and Europe release days). Everything will get better. You'll see.

The only thing that currently bothers me is the delay loading the Mii Channel. I have a feeling this is related to the Mii Parade (since it's pulling stuff off WiiConnect24), but it just makes me worry that something got hung up.

my wifi is working great, ive been able to connect, and download with no issues. and my blue light is working, so that means i have a message right now.

[quote name='PaulDE01']Sorry to hear that people are having problems connecting to the store but I was able to connect to it everytime I accessed it (disapointed so far that only 12 or so vitual console titles are available).[/QUOTE]

Same here

I haven't had a problem yet getting Wii online. I purchased Wii points and bought Zelda yesterday with no hassle.

I would like the blue light problem addressd though. Mine is never on.

It took me a couple of times to configure the internet, but I've had no problems connecting. As for the blue light, I've had no problems with that either.

[quote name='screwkick']I haven't had a problem yet getting Wii online. I purchased Wii points and bought Zelda yesterday with no hassle.

I would like the blue light problem addressd though. Mine is never on.[/quote]

What is the "blue light problem" people are talking about? As far as I can tell, the blue light only comes on when your Wii is in standby mode and you receive a message via WiiConnect24. My blue light was blinking last night and this morning from messages that my friend had sent me.

If you get a message when your Wii is on, I don't think the blue light comes on at all.

I think the "problem" is that it's not on all the time, or enough. I don't really want it on all the time, but being able to do some configuration with it would be cool (beyond "bright," "dim," or "off).

[quote name='botticus']I think the "problem" is that it's not on all the time, or enough. I don't really want it on all the time, but being able to do some configuration with it would be cool (beyond "bright," "dim," or "off).[/quote]

Well according to Nintendo, it was designed to allow you to see to insert games if the room is dark. I guess if people complain enough, Nintendo could add an option to leave it on all the time. Personally, I like the fact that is it really only on when I get a message.

So whats up with the light? Is it not supposed to be on or not? could someone explain it a little? Mine only blinks once when I turn it on and thats it. I dont have internet at home so I dont get messages.

[quote name='lilboo']The point I'm trying to make is.. why weren't they prepared for this? Open up more servers or whatever. Even if someone didn't really wanna use any of the internet functions, it doesn't matter. It comes with the option to do so (and is meant to be a Wi-Fi console, hence "WiiConnect24") and it should work.

I think that's a pretty valid complaint, imo[/QUOTE]

That is a valid complaint, but I think a lot of gamers expected this.

It's Nintendo after all...And their history in the online gaming side of things is poop...It will take them a while to work these kinks out...It's not like this is hurting their sales...Interest for the Wii hasn't died down because of no online multiplayer, has it?

Dear Wii: I Love you, but....

What's up with all the jaggies? Especially in Zelda? Are you guys noticing this too? I'm running component cables and at 480p. Did I miss a setting somewhere?
-G

bread's done
Back