Deathsmiles Limited Edition $39.82 w/ FSS at Amazon

Excellent price for an awesome game. I recommend this to anyone who is into SHMUPS and hasn't played it :D

Hell I bought 2 of em at launch to support CAVE and for AKSYS to bring more over!!

Buy this people!!

Wouldn't (And didn't, woo!) pay more than $30. Especially when MAME and countless freeware shmups exist.

That said, if you can get past the atrocious "LOLIS SMILE BACK" pedo-nonsense and the ugly art, the shmup therein is actually quite nice. The amount of content is also appropriate for shmup that expects to leave the arcades, too. If you've been playing tripe like Ikaruga or 1942: Joint Strike, DS will remind you why people consider paying for shmups. Definitely worth it.

[quote name='RollingSkull']If you've been playing tripe like Ikaruga[/QUOTE]
???
I thought about replying about the fact that MAMEing shooters for free is not the same as supporting the genre, but then I read this part of your post.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']???
I thought about replying about the fact that MAMEing shooters for free is not the same as supporting the genre, but then I read this part of your post.[/QUOTE]

Some people eh? The fact that the new 360s don't have faceplates makes me want to wait until the standalone edition of this is 20.

[quote name='genfuyung']Some people eh? The fact that the new 360s don't have faceplates makes me want to wait until the standalone edition of this is 20.[/QUOTE]

Is there even a standalone version?

[quote name='musicjunkie']Almost bought this at $50 but think I'm going to press my luck til $30ish[/QUOTE]

Same here. I really want to pull the trigger, but I think I'll wait till it goes around $30. Good sign though that it came down in price :)

This game is totally worth $40. I bought it at launch and have invested many hours. Unlike some shmups, this one has difficulty options that make it accessible even to those who aren't masters of the genre (like me). I like shmups, I'm just no good at them.:)

[quote name='Pets0undz']This game is totally worth $40. I bought it at launch and have invested many hours. Unlike some shmups, this one has difficulty options that make it accessible even to those who aren't masters of the genre (like me). I like shmups, I'm just no good at them.:)[/QUOTE]This pretty much echos my experience with Deathsmiles. I haven't put in a ton of time into it, however(maybe 6 hours?), but I love it. It's just plain fun. Simple as that. If you think you'll like it, you probably will.

It's over real quick but if your into playing for high scores or seeing how long you can last in the tougher difficulties. Obliviosly a requirement that you *love* shumps and want to support Arksys/Cave Games into bringing more over here.

I have the complete LE, everything mint, game played only a couple times. I'll sell for $35 shipped through paypal.

Thought I might try and get into schmups. hated this game. my loss is your gain. PM me.

God i hated this game. bad graphics, small resolution, annoying voices. argh.

Only a certain kind of gamer can take shmups like DeathSmiles. Guess a few of you guys can't handle it. :p

I bought it for $50. Totally worth it if you like shmups.

[quote name='sleepy180']I have the complete LE, everything mint, game played only a couple times. I'll sell for $35 shipped through paypal.

Thought I might try and get into schmups. hated this game. my loss is your gain. PM me.

God i hated this game. bad graphics, small resolution, annoying voices. argh.[/QUOTE]
Not a very good salesman are you? Telling people a game sucks, and trying to sell it is funny.

[quote name='BlueSwim']This pretty much echos my experience with Deathsmiles. I haven't put in a ton of time into it, however(maybe 6 hours?), but I love it. It's just plain fun. Simple as that. If you think you'll like it, you probably will.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to think that Castle Shikigami 3 offered the same sort of thing. It had a huge array of difficulties and enough reasons to replay based on plot. But I am a GIANT CS3 fanboy so don't take my word for it.

As I said, DeathSmiles is one of the few shmup genre products that really seems to understand what should be on offer for a product they expect people to take home. The sheer amount of customization is a true hoot.

Just a warning, the game kicks the final levels into overdrive if you opt in to the extra level, even if you chose DONT HURT ME PLEASE level 1 all game.

I thought about replying about the fact that MAMEing shooters for free is not the same as supporting the genre, but then I read this part of your post.
The dot-dodging genre does not need your support. It will stand just fine without it. Throwing quixotic pity-dollars on overpriced imports is a fool's game, and will not serve the purpose if you want shmups to expand. Games that are not available in the region, that cost triple digits to find... there's no reason NOT to play those in MAME, especially when usually there you get the better experience than with the foreign region console port.

And yes, Ikaruga is boring, dull, and rather tepid as far as shmups go. One of the most heinous cases of overrating out there. The average Cave game is more fun and there's no sense wasting words on Ikaruga's awful scoring system.

[quote name='sleepy180']...

God i hated this game. bad graphics, small resolution, annoying voices. argh.[/QUOTE]

I entirely agree, but I still like the game. At least the mechanics, the actual gameplay. Art style isn't all that great, music is pretty generic, resolution is bad, and the story makes me enraged and embarrassed all at the same time.

All of that aside though, its at least fun to play, especially coop with the girlfriend so we can laugh at it together. Decent chunk of content, but there are far better options to get the most bang for your buck. But with Lolis? I don't think so. :D

$40 aint terrible, $30 would be better, $20 would be golden.

This is one of those games that could skyrocket in price, or drop dramatically. I'm really interested, but $40 just still seems too high. I love the genre, but don't always get my money's worth -- and I haven't payed that much for a shmup since Blazing Lazers on TG-16! Heck, I've avoided spending $8 on Espgaluda II on iPhone, and the demo kicked ass!

I don't think Deathsmiles has a demo, does it? It's not even listed on Xbox.com if you search for it. Weird...
Maybe I'll just dust off Axelay, Space Megaforce, or my personal favorite Mars Matrix.

If you don't like shmups don't buy DS.

If you do like shmups then buy DS. It's up to you at what price but you should not miss this game.

[quote name='RollingSkull']And yes, Ikaruga is boring, dull, and rather tepid as far as shmups go. One of the most heinous cases of overrating out there. The average Cave game is more fun and there's no sense wasting words on Ikaruga's awful scoring system.[/QUOTE]
Oh boy, a troll. I'll have fun with awesome shooters that feature spaceships & machines while you stick to flying magical lolis.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Oh boy, a troll. I'll have fun with awesome shooters that feature spaceships & machines while you stick to flying magical lolis.[/QUOTE]
Yes, yes, enjoy your epic brown generic shmups with piss-easy patterns and an awful scoring system. I'll just be playing more rewarding, challenging affairs that actually had thought put into their pattern and scoring mechanics.

Heck, I've avoided spending $8 on Espgaluda II on iPhone, and the demo kicked ass!
As a fellow Iphone loser, I understand that $8 is ASTRONOMICAL in terms of Iphone game pricing, but damn son. Espgaluda 2 is worth every penny. Hell, you know it from the demo, especially if you even tried to dick with a massive bullet cancellation combo. If you aren't gonna buy EG2 for $8, then you'll NEVER buy a shmup again.

I would say EG2 is a better game than DeathSmiles. If only because AMAZING TRANSGENDERED FAIRIES IN FANTASTY LAND is a smidge less repulsive than pedo-bait crap, and that pacing-wise DS drags right near the end, and that EG2's scoring mechanic is more accessible, intuitive, satisfying, and better featured, and runs at the level where you can still play with it even if you're down to 14-19 continues to clear. DS's score system is just overcomplicated crap in comparison.

[quote name='sleepy180']I have the complete LE, everything mint, game played only a couple times. I'll sell for $35 shipped through paypal.

There is a section for buying and selling and this isnt it. Dont sit around poaching on deal threads trying to hock your shit, you go into the right forum like everyone else.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Oh boy, a troll. I'll have fun with awesome shooters that feature spaceships & machines while you stick to flying magical lolis.[/QUOTE]

Ikaruga is ovverrated.

[quote name='ViolentLee']This is one of those games that could skyrocket in price, or drop dramatically.[/QUOTE]The days of games jumping up in value are pretty much past. With Microsoft overly willing to digitally distribute as many retail games as they, anyone that really wants to play this game a year or two down the road need only search the the Live marketplace.

[quote name='Diebythesword']Ikaruga is ovverrated.[/QUOTE]
This should solve the debate.

[quote name='benjamouth']Does anyone know if there are plans to release a non-limited edition?
I'd like to buy the game but have no need for all the crap.[/QUOTE]

yeah me to. the reason they put all the crap in is to sell it at $50. the game itself should be just $15-20.

[quote name='jubeininja69']yeah me to. the reason they put all the crap in is to sell it at $50. the game itself should be just $15-20.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't bet that there'll be a regular edition. Aksys was stuck between a rock and a hard place w/ this release. They knew that they had to sell a super-niche title to a very small group of hardcore gamers, which would mean they'd move very few copies. In order to even stand a chance of breaking even they had to justify the $50 price tag with the extras. This is the last title you'll ever see in the $20 bin at Wal-mart. Like I previously said, this game should eventually make its way onto the Live store, and then you'll see it for $20-$30.

IMHO the game is easily worth the full price, even w/o the extras. With new games running for $60, getting this game for $50 plus some free extras is hard to balk at.

That Limited Edition looks awesome. Big, shiny box with lots of collectible goodness. I wish I knew what this game actually was though...

[quote name='SpockBlocker']That Limited Edition looks awesome. Big, shiny box with lots of collectible goodness. I wish I knew what this game actually was though...[/QUOTE]

Most Youtube videos are of 1ccers or similar MAX DIFFICULTY MAN THIS IS SO EASY YAWN nonsense. Here's the first I could find of an average player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s859koAjEsc

342911-48536-blade_super.jpg

[quote name='Diebythesword']Ikaruga is ovverrated.[/QUOTE]

Whoa? Where did that come from? Ikaruga was an amazing game -- and even better that it's offered through LIVE. And Ikaruga is miles better than Deathsmiles.

This one was meh for me. IMHO, an okay shooter that was essentially released to fill a genre.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Whoa? Where did that come from? Ikaruga was an amazing game -- and even better that it's offered through LIVE. And Ikaruga is miles better than Deathsmiles.

This one was meh for me. IMHO, an okay shooter that was essentially released to fill a genre.[/QUOTE]

We shall have to agree to disagree on pretty much every point in your post except for that DS was an okay shooter filling a niche. However, it is still miles better than most shmups out there.

I was all in for getting this until I saw one of the bosses on the video above was.. a freaking COW.

DOH!. Come on..... really? Sigh.....

[quote name='exceed19']I was all in for getting this until I saw one of the bosses on the video above was.. a freaking COW.

DOH!. Come on..... really? Sigh.....[/QUOTE] But, but.... it's a demonic cow. :evil:

I finally got to play my copy over this past weekend and really am enjoying it. It's a lot of fun. It's also really short, but getting to the end on unlimited continues isn't the point. I'm nowhere near to completing it without continues. Plus I haven't dived into any of the variants other then standard Arcade and Xbox 360 - had a lot of fun playing the 360 version coop with some friends, though it does get confusing with two players on screen. I hope we get more of the Cave shooters over here.

I bought at $50 and am super happy with it. Fantastic game! My wife won't let me put the faceplate on my 360, though. :) I hope the price drop doesn't imply poor sales - I want more Cave SHMUPS on the 360 (in the US). :(

bread's done
Back