Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='punkmaggit']Technically you can save at any time just by selecting "system" -> "quit". You can't reload if you've made a mistake... I can only assume that's what you mean. There are a good amount of traps and enemies that like to ambush you, but if you keep your guard up and generally just pay attention to your surroundings (and the messages on the ground) you should be okay.[/QUOTE]

Since I don't have the game, I really am not sure. It's been on my watch list for at least a month now but other then the price and lack of availability the difficulty has been the thing holding me back.

So I'm not really sure what I'm saying. Maybe you could give a brief description, what do you mean you can't reload? Is it basically like auto save that you can't turn off?

[quote name='punkmaggit']Technically you can save at any time just by selecting "system" -> "quit". You can't reload if you've made a mistake... I can only assume that's what you mean. There are a good amount of traps and enemies that like to ambush you, but if you keep your guard up and generally just pay attention to your surroundings (and the messages on the ground) you should be okay.[/QUOTE]

I'm not really sure myself. I read that the only time you can actually save is after you kill a boss... but I see that's wrong? So what exactly is the save system? Is it like a continuous save/MMO sort of system?

[quote name='Boeing 747']Is it basically like auto save that you can't turn off?[/QUOTE]

Basically. So there's no quicksave -> reload to correct your mistakes and kind of "cheat" the system. James Clark from RPGfan.com describes it pretty well:

The game auto saves when you die, and it does it fast too. I tried pulling the plug on my PS3 right after getting shanked by a zombie, and it STILL saved.

So if you die, suck it up and try again. As long as you can get back to the spot you died, you'll get all your souls back. There's no loss of inventory either. Read through this site: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/ . It's a great resource on Demon's Souls.

Man, fuck the Maneater(s). I've decided to put them off for now so I can level up a bit. At this point I've gone through 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3 (!!! :D), 3-1, and 4-1 as of last night. By complete accident I found an awesome shortcut through 4-1 and finished it in about 10-15 minutes. The boss is nothing, especially if you have some long-range attack magic.

So I wanted to go through 4-2 as well, but I stepped in and like 10 seconds in a black phantom breaks in. UGH. I'd dealt with one before and was able to fend him off, but this one was a complete douche. He had the "total protection" spell and some sort of spear that breaks all of your equipment. I put up a good fight for a little bit but he got me in the end. Dammit.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Basically. So there's no quicksave -> reload to correct your mistakes and kind of "cheat" the system. James Clark from RPGfan.com describes it pretty well:

So if you die, suck it up and try again. As long as you can get back to the spot you died, you'll get all your souls back. There's no loss of inventory either. Read through this site: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/ . It's a great resource on Demon's Souls.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, seems very fair.

I'll have to bite on this game.. I'll probably be here in the next month or two ranting and raving :)

YEAH!! Finished 3-2 last night after equiping some heavy-duty armor. Sure I lose the ability to roll around willy-nilly, but the boost in defense more than makes up for it. This is what my character had:

-Total Protection spell (a necessity)
-tons of Full Moon Grass
-sword of choice (ditch the shield, as it's pretty unnecessary for this one)
-lots of the Gloom armor from Yurt the Silent Chief

There were alot of close calls as the passage is pretty narrow and it doesn't take much for them to knock you off. 3-3 here I come!

[quote name='Antic']That's a pretty steep price on Play-Asia for it. >_< I noticed it said English, but is it good or butchered?[/QUOTE]

As far as I've noticed, the English is pretty flawless. The voice actors do a phenomenal job.

got the game a week ago and have only beat 1-1. I am playing as a Royal (level 8) and I am not sure what to upgrade. So far have been focusing on Will, Magic, Faith (a couple in Vitality) to get more magic/miracle slots. Am I going the right route?

Didn't see this mentioned yet, but I got a press release about Atlus announcing that they would be bringing Demon's Souls to North America.

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA -- MAY 20, 2009 -- Atlus U.S.A., Inc., your shining knights in armor, today announced that they have secured the North American publishing rights for Demon's Souls™, a groundbreaking action RPG experience for PLAYSTATION®3 system. Beautiful, compelling, and unforgiving, Demon's Souls is the hardcore RPG experience PLAYSTATION 3 system owners have been waiting for since the platform's launch.

Revolutionary online features support your adventure like never before, presenting seamless interconnectivity that serves in every instance to enhance the single-player game. Team up with two other players in simultaneous cooperative play, working together to topple some of the game's colossal bosses, or force your way into the games of skilled players and challenge them to PvP battle. Leave hints and clues for those who will follow in your footsteps; either intentionally or through your own inadvertent demise, your bloodstains will allow your successors to view a replay of your death, hinting at how to avoid your gruesome fate. Unprecedented in its depth and subtlety, peerless in its relentlessly challenging gameplay, Demon's Souls is the ultimate action RPG.

Experience the game Eurogamer.net awarded 9 out of 10, hailing it as "absolutely compelling; dark, detailed, unforgiving, creatively cruel," and adding, "you can learn to love Demon's Souls like few other games in the world."

Demon's Souls for PLAYSTATION 3 system is scheduled for North American release in fall 2009.

EDIT: Damn you frisky!

Hey guys!

Atlus is bring this game to America!!

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA -- MAY 20, 2009 -- Atlus U.S.A., Inc., your shining knights in armor, today announced that they have secured the North American publishing rights for Demon's Souls™, a groundbreaking action RPG experience for PLAYSTATION®3 system. Beautiful, compelling, and unforgiving, Demon's Souls is the hardcore RPG experience PLAYSTATION 3 system owners have been waiting for since the platform's launch.
Revolutionary online features support your adventure like never before, presenting seamless interconnectivity that serves in every instance to enhance the single-player game. Team up with two other players in simultaneous cooperative play, working together to topple some of the game's colossal bosses, or force your way into the games of skilled players and challenge them to PvP battle. Leave hints and clues for those who will follow in your footsteps; either intentionally or through your own inadvertent demise, your bloodstains will allow your successors to view a replay of your death, hinting at how to avoid your gruesome fate. Unprecedented in its depth and subtlety, peerless in its relentlessly challenging gameplay, Demon's Souls is the ultimate action RPG.
Experience the game Eurogamer.net awarded 9 out of 10, hailing it as "absolutely compelling; dark, detailed, unforgiving, creatively cruel," and adding, "you can learn to love Demon's Souls like few other games in the world."

Now THAT's what's up. This was kind of on the back burner for me because I was worried about co-op. Now that I know there will be plenty of English players this is D1 for me.

fuck yeah.

Oh and hopefully we'll see a good strategy guide or art/promo book for it over here. This is the type of game that absolutely screams for it.

Key Features
  • Ultimate hardcore RPG challenge -- In this brutal land, death is inevitable, but not final. Combining the best features of an action game and RPG, you'll slice, smash, shoot, and ensorcel some of the most horrible, vicious enemies ever encountered. Are you strong enough to face the impossible and win?
  • Groundbreaking online capabilities -- Network features go far beyond any previous RPG, allowing players to leave hints for each other, replay death scenes, cooperatively revive dead players, or invade another player's game to wreak havoc. Not merely an add-on feature, multiplayer options are vast, and uniquely focused on changing and intensifying the single player experience.
  • Freeform and flexible -- The open-ended structure of the game means that there is no single path, but rather a wealth of options. Set your own pace and progress as you like. Build exactly the character you want by creating a detailed avatar, nurturing the right stats, and customizing your skills and equipment.
  • You act, the world reacts -- The World Tendency system changes the aggressiveness of monsters and the rewards for killing them based on players' actions. Different events and NPCs may be triggered, as well.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The very fucking DAY my import from Play Asia ships... fuck you Atlus.[/QUOTE]

The thing i wonder is will the typical FATLUS fans buy it? They love games that you don't actually play.

Releasing this Fall according to the Playstion twitter, and more to be shown at E3.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Now you're just copying stuff from the OP, dallow. :whistle2:( ;)[/QUOTE]:bomb:;)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The very fucking DAY my import from Play Asia ships... fuck you Atlus.[/QUOTE]
Ouch!

[quote name='Paco']The thing i wonder is will the typical FATLUS fans buy it? They love games that you don't actually play.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying it's not very SMT like? I bought in on some of those games despite not being into RPGs aside from a select few (mostly action or strategy) and I've been hearing nothing but good about this game as well.

[quote name='QiG']So you're saying it's not very SMT like? I bought in on some of those games despite not being into RPGs aside from a select few (mostly action or strategy) and I've been hearing nothing but good about this game as well.[/QUOTE]

What I'm saying is that you actually have to PLAY the game. Something a typical FATLUS fan is confused about. You know, a video game being something you play rather then something you choose a command and watch the game play itself. That's what I'm going towards.

Well I'm pretty happy they decided to do this. I was pondering an import but have no cash to do it, looks like I won't have to. I am freakin' starved of RPGs on the PS3 as imo all ones released so far have been either shit or just not my cup o' tea. But even counting there is like all of maybe 10 RPGs....sad...very sad sony.

In any case. This should be able to hold my hunger until a good JRPG comes out.

Can't wait for this. I've been lurking eBay forever trying to find a used copy of the Korean or Chinese version for under $70, but no luck!

I dunno. The less people that can sneak into my game and assassinate me, the better.

[quote name='Paco']What I'm saying is that you actually have to PLAY the game. Something a typical FATLUS fan is confused about. You know, a video game being something you play rather then something you choose a command and watch the game play itself. That's what I'm going towards.[/QUOTE]
Do you just not like RPGs? Atlus RPGs in general are no less interactive than anything else in the genre.

[quote name='pete5883']I dunno. The less people that can sneak into my game and assassinate me, the better.[/QUOTE]

That's how I feel about it also. Anyway, looking forward to hearing more about it.

I was contemplating this game for a while and while I have no money now the game is in stock on PlayAsia, yet while I had a ton of cash it was on major backorder. Go figure.

But now that it's coming to NA, I don't even have to worry about importing it.

is there any word on the release date.... this game doesn't look that good to me graphically, but it does look like it will be fun to play... I might give it a shot.

I don't mind the everquest-like death system so much, but I'm not too fond of the inability to turn off the online griefing capability unless you play offline. I guess you can also play in soul form to get around it as well.

But then I wouldn't be able to really play co-op the way I'd like to?

Anyway, I'd probably wait until the game is sub-$30 before considering adding it to my collection...

I suck royally at this game. It's not a bad game, it's quality, I just fucking suck at it. I'm horrible at action-adventure games, and I know this. I should've known not to purchase it considering it's much harder than most of these types of games... I'm gonna give it a few more chances but it just really doesn't seem like my kind of game.

Yeah, I beat 1-1. The boss was easier than the regular enemies in the level. Then I went to 1-2 and I keep getting screwed by the auto-target system constantly fucking up so the enemies rip me to shreds. I really wished it just automatically targeted enemies in sight instead of having to press a button, because as it is, a significant percentage of the time (less than half, but it's still significant in this game considering how absolutely fucked you are when it happens) it doesn't target an enemy at all or targets the harmless fucking dragon that's flying over you instead of the enemy that's impaling you with a spear while you look right at him. I think I might just trade it or sell it at this point. I'm honestly not too frustrated at it right now, but I can tell where this is going. I doubt I could finish the game without chucking it out the window. If you're interested in it, lmk.

Last edited by a moderator:
DoK, trust me, I died more times than I care to mention on the first level. It's all a learning process. When I started the New Game +, I blazed through it in like 15 minutes. It's all about knowing your character and understanding the game. (also, Soul Arrow FTW)

I play a knight and man is this game intense. I beat the blobby demon guy with firebombs and stabbing. I feel like royal was maybe the way to go.

[quote name='punkmaggit']DoK, trust me, I died more times than I care to mention on the first level. It's all a learning process. When I started the New Game +, I blazed through it in like 15 minutes. It's all about knowing your character and understanding the game. (also, Soul Arrow FTW)[/QUOTE]

I probably only died like ~10 times on the first level. I'm an a royal and used Soul Arrow. It's just not the game for me.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I suck royally at this game. It's not a bad game, it's quality, I just fucking suck at it. I'm horrible at action-adventure games, and I know this. I should've known not to purchase it considering it's much harder than most of these types of games... I'm gonna give it a few more chances but it just really doesn't seem like my kind of game.[/QUOTE]

Having played numerous, numerous action RPG's before, I figured this would be a great game for me. I can't even tell you how many times I've died trying to get through the first real level after the tutorial level.

I checked out one of the video walkthroughs on YouTube for it and realized I was walking right by someone I was supposed to save, so then I save him and end up getting the mausoleum key.

Then I make it to this cliff type area with two huge demons/dragons on it(one whose tail you only see, the other is breathing fire right in your path).

So, I make a valiant attempt to run for it......TOAST!!! So the next time I get there, I try to be more strategic, hugging the wall the dragon is perched on......I run out to collect stuff from the fallen soldiers strewn about out in the open and I get a fire shield(I think) and some ring that protects against fire.

Unfortunately, soon after getting those, my own weapons and shield end up having some sort of red writing come up on the screen and none of the weapons do any damage anymore(I'm assuming they are damaged and need to be repaired).

I'm still having fun with the game though, but damn is this friggin' game unforgiving.:roll:

Then again, I think I've become soft with these kind of games, since I always played on 'wimp' difficulty level for a first and usually ONLY playthrough.

bread's done
Back