Destiny Discussion Thread - Fear The Moon Wizards on September 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined the CAGcast clan yesterday. Only level 11, so I can't join in the fun with you guys yet, but I am getting there. Loving this game so far, just trying to get used to the leveling up system. My character is an Exo Striker.

Once you know how to do it though you can easily play with other people and just adapt to how they are playing. I feel like there should be matchmaking for the Raid after you have successfully completed it in its entirety two times or something. That way is still tough because people have to at least do it twice but once you do you can just search because at that point most players should at least know the mechanics and can hold their own or take directions.
I don't know, with how prevalent afks are in strikes I just don't see matchmaking working. There will also always be those people who hop for an easy few chests and then bail when things start to get rough, souring the experience for everyone else.

Going to try to knock out the nightfall before our raid attempts tonight, if anyone else is on feel free to shoot me an invite!

I don't know, with how prevalent afks are in strikes I just don't see matchmaking working. There will also always be those people who hop for an easy few chests and then bail when things start to get rough, souring the experience for everyone else.

Going to try to knock out the nightfall before our raid attempts tonight, if anyone else is on feel free to shoot me an invite!
Damn yeah that is true. I always just have very positive thoughts on people and hope for the best hahah

Hey, I'll be happy just running the raid once within the next few days/week. :p

Everybody ready to roll tonight??
Yep, I will be on around 8CST tonight and on

I definitely won't be able to get on before 9:00 or 9:15 EST (gotta get the kids in bed).

I think io and Got have some experience with the Vault, but I'm not positive. I'm studying up now, there is a lengthy guide on planet destiny that seems pretty thorough.
I went through the raid as well, in fact, I went through with io and GottDott. As I stated earlier, I am no expert but i know what we need to do basically. (In other words, don't expect me to post a novel about VoG on here like Broly did :) )

Joined the CAGcast clan yesterday. Only level 11, so I can't join in the fun with you guys yet, but I am getting there. Loving this game so far, just trying to get used to the leveling up system. My character is an Exo Striker.
Welcome aboard, I see you are on XB1 as well which a lot of the people posting on this thread appear to be as well. Leveling up is simple until you get to level 20, then you may have a bunch of questions. For right now, just go through the story, collect and complete bounties, and kill stuff....pretty simple at the point you are ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard, I see you are on XB1 as well which a lot of the people posting on this thread appear to be as well. Leveling up is simple until you get to level 20, then you may have a bunch of questions. For right now, just go through the story, collect and complete bounties, and kill stuff....pretty simple at the point you are ;)
Definitely be sure to utilize the bounties like Dragon said as soon as you can. Maximizing your XP gain early on like that is really helpful and make it so that the later missions are not nearly as taxing and you can play them on higher difficulties, yielding even more XP : D

Welcome to the group! Like the others said, just level up to 20 by doing story plus completing vanguard and crucible bounties (if you like PvP). I started a bit late but listening to the advice here has helped me catch up to some extent.

I would also add to avoid farming the loot cave/stairs/whatever else is discovered next for engrams. When you get high enough level you can start earning marks for vanguard and crucible activities. When you hit faction rank 3 on those you get a legendary and with the marks you earn you will be able to buy more legendaries. Going that route is much more fun than sitting for hours hoping for those purple engrams to drop. Plus you know at some point you will actually get legendary gear due to faction rank or via purchase as opposed to a relying on a random number generator that determines when/if legendary engrams will ever drop for you.

Right on, welcome. I'm playing on PS3 but pretend it's my 360 ;) .

Just started up a 2nd character myself, so I kinda hafta remember how it goes. But like others have said always try to have bounties on you to help speed up the XP you'll gain (think bounties unlock at level 5).

Another good thing to focus on are public events just to try and get some of nicer goodies. Have fun!

When are you going to do the Nightfall? I might join you for that. Send me a PM on CAG if you are about to start.

I just read the patch notes, so from what I gather, you can no longer have your entire group sit on the sniper platform where hobgoblins would normally spawn and just kill the templar from there? That's lame. The fight isn't that hard the normal way, it's just way less time consuming doing it the "cheese" way.

I'm glad about the pocket infinity and mythoclast nerfs, mythoclast was impossible to win in a heads up fight in the crucible.

Ah I missed your post and just did it with moose a couple of hours ago
Any tricks to the Nightfall this week? I was running it with 2 others (from our Raid earlier) and we can't get past the first wave within that locked door area. That gets a lot harder than you'd think. We lasted longer by going back to the beginning area but enemies spawn right on top of you there. It looks like you can retreat even further so maybe that's the trick.

Then anything we should know about the Walker or Servitor portions?

Gott, Broly? Anyone have any tips?

I just read the patch notes, so from what I gather, you can no longer have your entire group sit on the sniper platform where hobgoblins would normally spawn and just kill the templar from there? That's lame. The fight isn't that hard the normal way, it's just way less time consuming doing it the "cheese" way.
Yeah, those are now out of bounds - so you get the "turn back" notice if you go over there.

We did the Raid earlier up to the final portion (with the Mars/Venus portals). It took a while to get through the Templar part the "normal" way but we did it by staying in the back left area (as you face it when coming in) for the most part. It wasn't too bad.

We called it a night after trying the portal section. We were making it into the second portal at least but I don't think we were entirely sure what to do then. Time to review Broly's notes ;).

I ended up with a second pair of Kabr's Greaves and a prismatic Mark for my Titan. Well, that and some energy and shards, which are always needed. I really just want the gloves at this point. So I'll keep running it with people each week till those pop. Once we beat it (hopefully tomorrow) maybe we can just run the beginning parts each week and keep it to an hour and a half or so.

Any tricks to the Nightfall this week? I was running it with 2 others (from our Raid earlier) and we can't get past the first wave within that locked door area. That gets a lot harder than you'd think. We lasted longer by going back to the beginning area but enemies spawn right on top of you there. It looks like you can retreat even further so maybe that's the trick.

Yeah, those are now out of bounds - so you get the "turn back" notice if you go over there.

We did the Raid earlier up to the final portion (with the Mars/Venus portals). It took a while to get through the Templar part the "normal" way but we did it by staying in the back left area (as you face it when coming in) for the most part. It wasn't too bad.

We called it a night after trying the portal section. We were making it into the second portal at least but I don't think we were entirely sure what to do then. Time to review Broly's notes ;).

I ended up with a second pair of Kabr's Greaves and a prismatic Mark for my Titan. Well, that and some energy and shards, which are always needed. I really just want the gloves at this point. So I'll keep running it with people each week till those pop. Once we beat it (hopefully tomorrow) maybe we can just run the beginning parts each week and keep it to an hour and a half or so.
You can sit behind the wreckage on the side past where the hive spawn (the green area, way in the back). No one will chase you back there and you'll only have to come out to finish off the snipers/captains.

The walker is really straightforward, just snipe from the back corners with your icebreaker.

Servitor is okay, just watch out for the invisible guys since their melee will one shot you.

You can sit behind the wreckage on the side past where the hive spawn (the green area, way in the back). No one will chase you back there and you'll only have to come out to finish off the snipers/captains.

The walker is really straightforward, just snipe from the back corners with your icebreaker.

Servitor is okay, just watch out for the invisible guys since their melee will one shot you.
Thanks, that helped a ton. I was able to get through the 3 waves without any trouble doing that. It just took me a while since I was being careful. Then the Walker was cake. I just went where I always go - that tunnel straight ahead and a little to the right.

So I was at the Servitor and I fired a rocket too close to a pillar - insta-death... D'oh!

I figured I wanted to accomplish something so I re-ran it as the Weekly Heroic (instead of Nightfall). I just did it at 22. But that was way easier. I even got the bounty for not dying on a strike. But that's the first time I've soloed any strikes, so that was nice at least.

So I'm still up for the Weekly Nightfall at some point and then the Weekly Heroic on 28 also. I'm not going to try it by myself again though since there's just no backup if you make a single mistake.

I'm still up for trying the weekly again. I was ticked we couldn't get past that fight with the fallen and hive while dinklebot flirted with the pile of space junk.

but first, we finish the vault! I thought we made excellent progress last night. For a 1/2 newbie crew, especially after the patch, we did much better than I expected. Go team CAG! If we play smart, we should be able to finish tonight.

lets wrap this sumbits up tonight. 😉

On the weekly nightfall the method I was talking about was to have the fireteam leader stay back and out of harms way as much as possible.  If the other 2 go down and cannot easily be revived then they can drop from the game and re--join.  Basically a free spawn.  Might take a bit longer, but better than re starting it all over again.

I'm down to do that mission again tonight along with the regular weekly at 28 to get those strange coins.

The progress we made on the strike was impressive.  I only really expected that we'd get through a section or two with me and a couple others being new to this.  Thanks, guys!  I'm going to be a zombie today, though.  If everyone really wants to finish it tonight, how much time do you think this last section will take?  I can't do another 3 hour evening for a second night in a row.

chubbyninja1319 said:
I'm still up for trying the weekly again. I was ticked we couldn't get past that fight with the fallen and hive while dinklebot flirted with the pile of space junk.
That part is really easy with Gott's method. Like I said I soloed it afterwards and got up to the Servitor no problem (where I killed myself with a rocket). We would have had it done first or second try if we knew about that. Basically we went to the wrong side. The Servitor might still be a bit tricky. I think we should all go into the cover on the right side to do that part with 2 people covering the spawns and one focusing on the Servitor.

simosaurus said:
The progress we made on the strike was impressive. I only really expected that we'd get through a section or two with me and a couple others being new to this. Thanks, guys! I'm going to be a zombie today, though. If everyone really wants to finish it tonight, how much time do you think this last section will take? I can't do another 3 hour evening for a second night in a row.
It shouldn't take another 3 hours. But then again, we struggled with Atheon when we had Broly with us so we ended up resorting to the cheesing method which I'm not sure we can pull off this time. Of course that was him and 5 newbies... But hopefully we can get to the next checkpoint quickly at least. If we have to leave it there for another night, then so be it.

FYI - Today's Heroic Daily is another easy one that I soloed with both my characters (between that and a public event for each one I got 4 more shards - 3 more and I can inch above being barely level 29). It is the first Moon mission where you go into the back of that building up to the left of the start, fight off some Fallen, then find the dead Guardian by the door to the Temple of Crota, open the door, fight some Hive, then scan something just inside the entrance. It is pretty easy - just don't let the thralls swarm you - there seems to be a bunch more coming out than I remember (probably due to the Heroic modifier).

but first, we finish the vault! I thought we made excellent progress last night. For a 1/2 newbie crew, especially after the patch, we did much better than I expected. Go team CAG! If we play smart, we should be able to finish tonight.

lets wrap this sumbits up tonight.
I agree. I looked up what needs to be done for the gatekeeper. I've always been the one guarding the tower outside so actually going into the portal was something new for me and I wasn't totally sure what to do. It also didn't help that once you're in that room it is tough to explain what to do (the little I did know) once everything is chaotic. Maybe go over the strategy while we are still in orbit then give it a shot? I do have a good technique that seemed to work really well when I got to Atheon the first time, it would just require somebody else to run the relic.

Thanks everyone! Just hit Level 12 last night. One question, am I wasting my time with bounties at level 12? I have completed a few but I am just getting the XP, I cannot use the Vanguard rep right now correct?

I agree. I looked up what needs to be done for the gatekeeper. I've always been the one guarding the tower outside so actually going into the portal was something new for me and I wasn't totally sure what to do. It also didn't help that once you're in that room it is tough to explain what to do (the little I did know) once everything is chaotic. Maybe go over the strategy while we are still in orbit then give it a shot? I do have a good technique that seemed to work really well when I got to Atheon the first time, it would just require somebody else to run the relic.
I'll volunteer for relic duty. I was your back-up last night and I'm getting the hang of it.

UGH.

I didn't get crap last night. I got a legendary engram that turned into a pulse rifle and a pulse rifle from the nightfall. I hate pulse rifles. hahaha

That being said the nerf definitely hit hard and my collection of auto rifles are not hitting the spot. I still REALLY want the Raid Scout so I am hoping to score that this week, if not I think the Vanguards have the best Scout Rifle to buy. But yeah the base damage reduction isnt all that bad, it is the lowered crit hit damage. Atheon's Epilogue is still great fortunately because of the Void damage it deals, so in the Raid especially it is still an important weapon seeing as you can quickly and easily tear through the Minotaurs and Protereans. Speaking offfff....

The Nightfall wasnt hard at all I thought. My two buddies and I beat it first go through, it was the heroic that got us! We kept forgetting about the increased melee damage of the enemies and we kept getting STUPIDD deaths haha. Sorry io by the way, you joined my party as we were fighting Sepkis and I said hi and was trying to talk but you must not have heard me! Then when you invited me shortly after I was going to bed!

Stinks you guys couldnt finish the Raid last night! You can do it though. Definitely need to set up the plan before diving into it and make sure everyone knows where they are going at all times. If you guys need help with a specific part just ask! Also I would say I could jump in and help you guys sometime this week if you needed.

I am so excited that my alt Warlock finally is JUSTT about to get Fireborn. I feel so helpless without it, especially with how I take my points on the Raid. 

So, this week now that it is reset I have loft goals.

I can Raid 2x normal and 2x Hard

I hope to get:

Vision of Confluence (Raid Scout)

Raid Gloves

Raid Helmet (hard mode only)

Vex Mythoclast (hard mode only)

Exotic Warlock Helmet - Xur or luck haha

If I can get any 1 of those things even I will be happy enough hahah

I really want weapons though because mine are maxed out... The only thing that needs more work is the Ice Breaker which is on the last possible node and will be filled in a day or two anyway. So since I have my weapons and armor maxed XP does absolutely nothing!

Thanks everyone! Just hit Level 12 last night. One question, am I wasting my time with bounties at level 12? I have completed a few but I am just getting the XP, I cannot use the Vanguard rep right now correct?
You are definitely NOT wasting your time doing bounties. Completing bounties and story missions are the best way to get big chunks of xp. You can always use the rep you get from bounties. Don't get vanguard reputation and vanguard marks confused. Vanguard reputation accumulates and will allow you to reach different vanguard ranks. At each rank you will be allowed to buy new items and get rewards as well. Vanguard marks (which you will start earning later) are used to purchase items from the vanguard.

UGH.

I didn't get crap last night. I got a legendary engram that turned into a pulse rifle and a pulse rifle from the nightfall. I hate pulse rifles. hahaha

That being said the nerf definitely hit hard and my collection of auto rifles are not hitting the spot. I still REALLY want the Raid Scout so I am hoping to score that this week, if not I think the Vanguards have the best Scout Rifle to buy.
Yeah , I got Vision of Confluence during the raid last week and I am loving it....even more so after the patch ;)

You don't start getting marks until you hit 20 or so but you'll need rank 2-3 to buy gear and weapons so it's good to work on your rep whenever you can - guaranteed way to fill your slots with legendaries faster.

Chubby, Got, IO, Glock, and Moose: I can already tell I won’t be able to get on tonight. I have some family/real life stuff to take care of and I am going to be just too tired (I’m weak). I’d love to finish this with you guys on Thursday or Friday night, but if tonight works for everyone else and you need to find a sub for me, I totally understand and there’s no hard feelings.

You are definitely NOT wasting your time doing bounties. Completing bounties and story missions are the best way to get big chunks of xp. You can always use the rep you get from bounties. Don't get vanguard reputation and vanguard marks confused. Vanguard reputation accumulates and will allow you to reach different vanguard ranks. At each rank you will be allowed to buy new items and get rewards as well. Vanguard marks (which you will start earning later) are used to purchase items from the vanguard.
Yes always do the bounties even if you are at low levels. When you hit Vanguard Rank 2 you can buy legendary armor and at Rank 3 you can buy Legendary Weapons. Those take a reasonable amount of points to reach but if you are always doing the daily bounties each day and do some patrols here and there you will get there quickly. And yes the XP bonuses are huge for turning in the bounties so they help you level up to 20 and help you level up your equipped weapons and armor too. Make sure you have your best stuff equipped when you turn in your bounties too as only equipped items will benefit from the xp.

Yea, it was probably a good time to call it a night when we did on the raid. I was pretty tired and we were at a point where reviewing the strategy Broly had posted before sinking more time into it was the best course of action.

Chubby, Got, IO, Glock, and Moose: I can already tell I won’t be able to get on tonight. I have some family/real life stuff to take care of and I am going to be just too tired (I’m weak). I’d love to finish this with you guys on Thursday or Friday night, but if tonight works for everyone else and you need to find a sub for me, I totally understand and there’s no hard feelings.
I could possibly do Thursday, but it isn't for sure. Friday I know I couldn't. If we need to run through tonight I would be willing to help you later in the week if another group can get together. Real life comes first, but I'd still love to help you out if I can.

If for timing reasons you guys can't all get together I can gladly get a quick team together this weekend or something to finish off the last part for whoever isnt able to join. My buddies and I gladly carry people through the Raids and it is even easier if you are already at the end!

[quote name="io" post="12161476" timestamp="1413350882"]

so.[/quote]

Try this strategy http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2j7eh6/how_to_solo_this_weeks_nightfall_devils_lair/

Looking at my commitments I definitely cannot play on Thursday until after midnight and could only play from 9-11 eastern on Friday. Saturday and Sunday nights I think I am ok but weekends are hectic with family stuff always going on, lol. Either way I have no problem helping if we have to split this up somehow to get everyone done with it.

How do the checkpoints work on the Raid? Can anyone that was playing with us last night host and startup a raid from the point we left off or just the original host?

[quote name="io" post="12161476" timestamp="1413350882"]

so.[/quote]

Try this strategy http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2j7eh6/how_to_solo_this_weeks_nightfall_devils_lair/

If for timing reasons you guys can't all get together I can gladly get a quick team together this weekend or something to finish off the last part for whoever isnt able to join. My buddies and I gladly carry people through the Raids and it is even easier if you are already at the end!
That's awesome. It's weird that I've never really joined up with a lot of CAGs online, especially since I've been on here for almost ten years now. It seems like everybody I have played Destiny with is really cool and it is great to see people willing to help each other out even if they don't "benefit" from it.

How do the checkpoints work on the Raid? Can anyone that was playing with us last night host and startup a raid from the point we left off or just the original host?
Wherever the last point you were in the Raid is where you can start. If everyone last night was together and you left at the point of the portals before Atheon, then any one of you can be fireteam leader and go back to the Raid and you will be there again. Each of you could essentially go off and find their own 5 other members and beat it from there if you really wanted. I am not sure about over writing that however since it has never come up with me.

Example, you guys end at portals. You join someone else tonight and THEY are fireteam leader and have not even started the Raid this week. You get to the Templar fight with this new group and then have to leave. I am not sure if that new checkpoint you left at overwrites the previous one but I would imagine it does not though if someone has experience in that I would love to know as well.

Looking at my commitments I definitely cannot play on Thursday until after midnight and could only play from 9-11 eastern on Friday. Saturday and Sunday nights I think I am ok but weekends are hectic with family stuff always going on, lol. Either way I have no problem helping if we have to split this up somehow to get everyone done with it.

It should be anybody can host. I think it could overwrite if you join somebody further back, but I'm not positive on that one. I do know from experience that everybody should have that checkpoint, though.

It should be anybody can host. I think it could overwrite if you join somebody further back, but I'm not positive on that one. I do know from experience that everybody should have that checkpoint, though.
That's awesome. It's weird that I've never really joined up with a lot of CAGs online, especially since I've been on here for almost ten years now. It seems like everybody I have played Destiny with is really cool and it is great to see people willing to help each other out even if they don't "benefit" from it.
Games are meant to simply be fun! And helping people is fun too haha Win win! : D

It seems like we have flexibility in our options for completing the run that was started last night.

So, if Sim can't join tonight, we can run it through with a sub. Then we can jump on with Sim AGAIN later in the week if we want to, or with new team members.

that covers all the bases.

That being said, I'm available every night this week between 9 and 9:30 EST and I want to complete this raid sooner rather than later.

im open to splitting up and doing it more than once, i mean who knows this might be the last week we get to knock that sucker off his throne platform room thing

im open to splitting up and doing it more than once, i mean who knows this might be the last week we get to knock that sucker off his throne platform room thing
Not only that, but I figure it is good practice too so we can get a run going pretty quickly. Like last night, took a few runs at the templar, but once we figured out what worked and what didn't it went pretty quick. For example, if I shoot corners or harpies with the relic it just wastes time for everybody. ;-)

Not only that, but I figure it is good practice too so we can get a run going pretty quickly. Like last night, took a few runs at the templar, but once we figured out what worked and what didn't it went pretty quick. For example, if I shoot corners or harpies with the relic it just wastes time for everybody. ;-)
What worked was having drunkz/glock's dead body as bait - the templar sure liked sitting on top of him :p

Yeah, I've been on CAG for 10 years as well, and not since ME3 MP was big a couple years back have I got in with a group of CAG's that were fun to play with and just cool people to shoot the breeze (and bad guys) with. I'm enjoying the supportive nature of our little community.

Agreed. If it meant Sim was completely left out, I would not go ahead without him. But, since we have so much flexibility, this seems like a good plan. I'm definitely up for picking the raid up midstream again later in the week.

What worked was having drunkz/glock's dead body as bait - the templar sure liked sitting on top of him :p
Hey, I'm willing to sacrifice for the team so if having the templar teabag me while the rest of the team blasts him helps then I'm all for it.

Anybody else having issue with random disconnects from the network while playing? Sometimes u can go an hour sometimes 10 minutes. It only seems to be happening while I am playing Destiny as far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back