Devil May Cry 5: This is not the Dante you are looking for...

dohdough

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
No more white hair and ice blue eyes. Feels...a bit off.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/15/devil-may-cry-reboot-in-trailer-and-screenshot-form/#continued
http://kotaku.com/5638552/there-is-a-fifth-devil-may-cry-game/gallery/

While not what I expected for Devil May Cry, Ninja Theory did a good job with Heavenly Sword in regards to production value and story imo. I'm sure the cutscenes will be amazing. Unfortunately, the combat system wasn't quite upto par with Heavenly Sword. Hopefully we'll see some gameplay soon.

DMC has been dead to me since after the second game honestly and while the art direction certainly piqued my interest slightly, it was quickly quelled when I saw who is at the helm. Ninja Theory; do not want.

I see this new Dante going in the same direction as the new Cole from Infamous 2. People are gonna bitch and whine so much (myself included) that they'll change him back to his old style.

On the plus side, if it has been a few years since you played DMC3, you can delete your saves and it'll be like a new game again, kinda.

All I could think during this video was "I'm SPONGEBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB" from the episode where he first met Sandy. Coincidentally, Spongebob ran up a wall and jumped off it - the opposite of what Dante does here. I wish I could have found a video of this somewhere online.

Whaaaaaaat?! How could someone possibly think this is a good idea! :bomb: That's not Dante, that's some confused kid that fell out of Twilight!

Ugghhhh did DMC4 really sell that poorly for it to come to this? Sure it wasn't as good as 3, but it was still a ton of fun and I for one thought Nero was pretty cool. Not Dante cool, but at least cooler than this knock-off.

Oh well... goodbye DMC. At least we still have Bayonetta.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I see this new Dante going in the same direction as the new Cole from Infamous 2. People are gonna bitch and whine so much (myself included) that they'll change him back to his old style.[/QUOTE]
I'm not really interested in the Infamous series, but the comments are chock full of that reference.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I see this new Dante going in the same direction as the new Cole from Infamous 2. People are gonna bitch and whine so much (myself included) that they'll change him back to his old style.[/QUOTE]

Wait. They actually decided to change Cole back after people complained?

[quote name='Jodou']DMC has been dead to me since after the second game honestly and while the art direction certainly piqued my interest slightly, it was quickly quelled when I saw who is at the helm. Ninja Theory; do not want.[/QUOTE]
You missed out, DMC 3 (the prequel) was the best in the series IMO.

and seriously, what the hell is up with Capcom lately. They make a Resident Evil game that's not really a Resident Evil game. Now they are making DMC, again, in what seems like name only. They rebooted bionic commando with some generic muscle-bound dude in the lead (thank you BC: Rearmed unlockable skin).

Couple that with Sucker Punch trying to turn gritty, surly Cole into some kind of hipster douche and I can't help but wonder WTF these studios are thinking.

I think some of these publishers are starting to get confused with the current rumblings that they must make more changes to please Western culture.
Somewhere along the line they took this too far...and in the wrong direction.

Pass for me.

Oh, and about Cole, I hated him as a character in Infamous. It was ,however, not how he was drawn or the art style. It was his dry, boring persona. Give the guy some good lines, a past/history, something to differentiate him.
Instead he was 'Bob, the electrician' to me.

[quote name='coolsteel']This won't end well[/QUOTE]

It didn't start well either.

anyway, dante has always been cheesy. but now he's cheesy for a new generation. The real problem here is Ninja Theory.

oh well, at least Ninja Gaiden 3 got announced today to offset this.

[quote name='guardian_owl']You missed out, DMC 3 (the prequel) was the best in the series IMO.[/QUOTE]

That's the general consensus. DMC4 is actually probably better (the difficulty ramps up more smoothly, and Nero adds some interesting gameplay elements), but I think there's still residual anger over the multiplatform thing.

Scrawny hipster Dante is perhaps the most irritating character design I've ever seen. I don't understand how a developer with one mediocre title under its belt gets to helm one of the biggest franchises in gaming, out of nowhere. How many back-room hummers must that have taken?

I think the problem with Capcom deciding to outsource their IP's is because of Gears and God of War. Both are gritty with ho-hum combat systems with a somewhat captivating storyline, well, better story for God of War anyways as Gears of War doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Seems to be a bit of a money grab by just following someone else's trends instead of making their own.

DMC3 was a great as a giant leap of evolution for DMC and introduced some very dynamic gaming, while DMC4 seemed more as a step in the right direction. I liked Nero's game play as something different, but DmC5 seems to be heading in the direction of RE5. While still RE, the gameplay mechanics that made it great were mostly pissed away.

I don't mind the new look all that much. As long as the core gameplay is there, I'm buying it since 1 and 3 are some of my favorite games of all time. *Just remembered 4 is still in my backlog u_u.

[quote name='Strell']All I could think during this video was "I'm SPONGEBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB" from the episode where he first met Sandy. Coincidentally, Spongebob ran up a wall and jumped off it - the opposite of what Dante does here. I wish I could have found a video of this somewhere online.[/QUOTE]

Lol.

DMC has been one of my favorite series! I bought Resident Evil Code Veronica X on release just so that I could play the DMC1 demo. I played the demo for like 20 hours and RECVX about 20 mins.

DMC 1 - Was insane!! Pure genius!! The most badass game of the series hands down!

DMC 2 - A turd! they just wanted to make a quick buck of the DMC name.

DMC 3 - Was also amazing, DMC1 barely has an edge on this one. I loved the way it ended.

DMC 4 - was meh, but it was passable.

DMC 5 (or whatever itll be called) - WTF is this? Seriously Dante looks like hes got the face of the Ed Norton hulk. All he needs now is a 15 year old love interest, im guessing "western" to Capcom is this whole Twilight thing. Sounds to me like capcom went for the DMC2 approach again and said "people want this, we dont wanna make it, we could use some easy extra $$$ to pay for the mistresses and the boats, so give it to some other studio and we'll call it a western approach". Hopefully they get a shitstorm from this and they'll go back to what worked.

DMC3 is still my favorite action title of all time and half of that reason was because of the awesome character that is Dante.

But after DMC4 I was praying for a series revamp -- but this? This is a little disrespectful. Heavenly Sword is a mediocre action title and, once again proving they have no idea what they are doing, they soil their biggest selling point of DMC -- Dante.

Looking past that, I noticed the gunplay in the CG was very slow and lacked any sort of flare. Hopefully that won't be true for the actual gameplay. I'm willing to accept this new character, but that trailer was quite shitty.

I don't even think the "Well, that was an alternate universe" excuse will save Dante.

Its like...Twilight. UGH fuck

in DMC3 he looked 20-25, here he looks 18. I'm really curious to where he changes not only his hair and smoking habits -- but his entire personality.

that's about how bad they fucked this up.

Last edited by a moderator:
fuck this game and fuck the lead developer its obvious he made dante look like him, this was posted at capcom forums
newdante.jpg

Almost everyone I know that has played DMC4 thought it sucked ass, so I'm guessing this can't be any worse despite the terrible looking "reboot" I personally think Heavenly Sword was an underrate game. It looked and played great, despite the obvious GOW influence. It was short but sweet. I'm optimistic about DmC in Ninja Theory's hands.

Keep in mind that it's not too late to do a character revision. Sucker Punch changed the look of Cole after people complained. I imagine if they changed this Dante's hair back to white, and made his eyes blue, people would be more accepting of the reboot. Not that hard of a thing to change either...

[quote name='zenprime']Damn, they done up and killed Devil May Cry.

I wonder how the guys over at Platinum feel about all this...[/QUOTE]
I bet they're laughing their asses off right now.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Almost everyone I know that has played DMC4 thought it sucked ass, so I'm guessing this can't be any worse despite the terrible looking "reboot" I personally think Heavenly Sword was an underrate game. It looked and played great, despite the obvious GOW influence. It was short but sweet. I'm optimistic about DmC in Ninja Theory's hands.

Keep in mind that it's not too late to do a character revision. Sucker Punch changed the look of Cole after people complained. I imagine if they changed this Dante's hair back to white, and made his eyes blue, people would be more accepting of the reboot. Not that hard of a thing to change either...[/QUOTE]

The hair is honestly the smallest problem.

It's not the hair its the fact they did a reboot. No closure to the DMC story they just said fuck it lets start over.

If the gameplay is fun, that's all I care about. The storyline (or there lack of) was never anything to write home about in the DMC games.

[quote name='GUNNM']It's not the hair its the fact they did a reboot. No closure to the DMC story they just said fuck it lets start over.[/QUOTE]

people cared about DMCs story? isn't it just some guy killing things on the way to some party or something

Obviously the story isn't some deeply thought out piece of literature -- but the characters and setting of DMC games are largely what give the games their personality.

sure, DMC4 was a let down, but this looks horrendous.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Obviously the story isn't some deeply thought out piece of literature -- but the characters and setting of DMC games are largely what give the games their personality.

sure, DMC4 was a let down, but this looks horrendous.[/QUOTE]
well said
Some developer at capcom forums is trying to calm down the angered masses but it really isn't working.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Almost everyone I know that has played DMC4 thought it sucked ass, so I'm guessing this can't be any worse despite the terrible looking "reboot" I personally think Heavenly Sword was an underrate game. It looked and played great, despite the obvious GOW influence. It was short but sweet. I'm optimistic about DmC in Ninja Theory's hands.

Keep in mind that it's not too late to do a character revision. Sucker Punch changed the look of Cole after people complained. I imagine if they changed this Dante's hair back to white, and made his eyes blue, people would be more accepting of the reboot. Not that hard of a thing to change either...[/QUOTE]

I loved DMC4 personally. It wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be, but I played pretty much everything in it.

Unless there's an official response for this, the only way I see this being successful is if they're trolling and it isn't really Dante. I have to admit, there are some interesting touches to the design. Little things like the "broken-ish" amulet necklace, Nero's coat with a split hood...I mean who knows, it might be good, but I'm not optimistic.

I bet the gamfaqs board is going nuts right now.

I just can't see myself buying this trash. If they made this it's own series that has absolutely nothing to do with DMC I might give it a chance.

[quote name='whoknows']I just can't see myself buying this trash. If they made this it's own series that has absolutely nothing to do with DMC I might give it a chance.[/QUOTE]

Chaos Legion 2!

bread's done
Back