Devil May Cry HD Collection $39.99 @ Amazon

DanteWarrior

CAGiversary!
Feedback
81 (100%)
[quote name='Thrinn']I apologize for not alluding to that earlier so you didn't have to type all that up. The point I was trying to get at was more that they tried to up the ante for the U.S. hardcore market and it came back to bite them in the ass. While I don't necessarily agree with their approach towards dumbing things down a bit, I can certainly see the reason why they feel the need to do so.

[/QUOTE]

No worries. And I see what you're saying, but non-SE DMC3 did sell well, especially considering the intrinsic sequel-legacy dilemma (DMC3's sales suffered because DMC2 was bad. DMC2 sold very well because DMC1 was great.) In DMC4, they simplified mechanics with Nero, but they arguably made certain aspects of Dante more complex. And DMC4 was, I believe, the highest selling title in the series (though partially due to the multi-platform release, of course). The real concern isn't with difficulty, but with depth. I do feel that part of depth is making certain actions difficult to perform, but that's more of a personal interpretation. DmC, thus far, looks exceedingly shallow.

Ninja Theory track record basically consists of two games this generation. One being Heavenly Sword, their initial "next-gen" offering on PS3, a system that is notoriously difficult to develop for. They probably developed the game with some rough tools while the system was in it's infancy. I'd be willing to give them a pass on that game's performance issues.

That leaves Enslaved. Again their PS3 port had problems with framerate whereas the 360 seemed to fair better at around 30FPS according to Digital Foundry. Not amazing, but acceptable.

I would hope that working on a big series like DmC would offer them a much larger budget to develop the game with than those new IPs did. I just think it's too early to hold DmC's framerate issues against them.

Maybe you're right, but Ninja Theory doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from me, especially when PR says things like DmC will "feel like 60fps." What does that even mean? What PR person lets vomit like that spew from his mouth to make its way into a written piece? We'll see how it ends up.

Framerate aside, the core combat has fundamental issues from the several gameplay trailers, videos, and leaks that I've seen. Unnatural looking physics, lack of weapon differentiation, off hit detection, no camera shifting, stiff animation and execution attacks, etc.

[quote name='Thrinn']Also, was DMC4 30 or 60 FPS? I can't remember.[/QUOTE]

Every DMC game has been a stable 60fps. There was admittedly rare slowdown during certain sections of the forest. On the PC, DMC4 was 120 fps on powerful rigs.

[quote name='Thrinn']Capcom's PSN releases seem most likely to have a habit using the "you must be online at all times" DRM that prohibits that.[/QUOTE]

Only 2 games I can recall had this: Final Fight: Double Impact and Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2.

Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil Code: Veronica X didn't have it. Neither did Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Puzzle Fighter, and more.

I'll gladly take my chances as they're very good. DMC games have no online component so there would be zero reason to put in DRM.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Only 2 games I can recall had this: Final Fight: Double Impact and Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2.

Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil Code: Veronica X didn't have it. Neither did Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Puzzle Fighter, and more.

I'll gladly take my chances as they're very good. DMC games have no online component so there would be zero reason to put in DRM.[/QUOTE]Puzzle Fighter & MvC2 (and more) came out a year or two before this DRM was introduced to Capcom's PSN games. Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2 didn't have much in the way of an online component either, but the DRM found it's way into that all the same.

Of the remaining games we've discussed you've got : RE4, RE:CV, and SF3 w/o the DRM and FF DI and DC:R2 with the DRM. So you've got 40% of those games bogged down with it. Maybe they're moving away from it, maybe not.

[quote name='biledriver']Hell yea it is. Getting to play DMC3 on a current system is a deal at any price.

I always said that was the much better game than God of War but GoW got all the hype.[/QUOTE]

This.

I'm looking forward to the DMC HD Collection more then any of the previous HD remastered collections that have been released thus far. It is second to none... unless a Kingdom Hearts HD Collection was released.

I think it's well worth it for all three of these games. I'll admit that I didn't completely hate the 2nd DMC. That was actually the very first DMC game I had ever played.

From best to worst:

DMC 3
DMC 1
DMC 4 (mainly because of the repetition)
DMC 2

..... From the looks of the new "DmC" I would say that will rank below even DMC 2 though (and not because of the character design).

With the jak and daxter collection confirmed for next year and this devil may cry one all I need OS a kingdom hearts collection and ill be set with the ps2 hd remasters for a while :)

There's a Jak collection? That's so awesome! We need the bloody Onimusha collection though! Come one Capcom! Give us all 4 ;)

As for the person complaining about the new DMC. have you watched any videos? The combat system looks to be easily the best yet. I HATE it that they are rebooting it, and the new Dante is nassssty, but the game looks to be very good.

[quote name='Thrinn']Puzzle Fighter & MvC2 (and more) came out a year or two before this DRM was introduced to Capcom's PSN games. Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2 didn't have much in the way of an online component either, but the DRM found it's way into that all the same.

Of the remaining games we've discussed you've got : RE4, RE:CV, and SF3 w/o the DRM and FF DI and DC:R2 with the DRM. So you've got 40% of those games bogged down with it. Maybe they're moving away from it, maybe not.[/QUOTE]

Difference is the ones that did have DRM were new games, compared to ones that were ports. Since DMC HD would be along the lines of RE4, RE C:VX, and SF3, chances are VERY good.

If Capcom doesn't get it threw their heads that DRM on games that aren't online games is a bad idea, then they'll fall apart eventually.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Difference is the ones that did have DRM were new games, compared to ones that were ports. Since DMC HD would be along the lines of RE4, RE C:VX, and SF3, chances are VERY good.[/QUOTE]Well the Final Fight collection was an old game(s) with a front-end and online play grafted on, similar to Third Stirke. One got the DRM and the other didn't.

I guess we could take the conspiracy theory one step further. We could suggest that when Capcom bundles more than one old game together in a single package on PSN, such as the Final Fight one, there's a 100% track record of those collections get DRM. However, there's just not enough to support that idea, either.

We could continue looking for some sort of pattern to Capcom's behavior, but we're both stretching for something here. We might as well just go get a Magic 8-ball and save ourselves some time. ;)

[quote name='Zaku77']As for the person complaining about the new DMC. have you watched any videos? The combat system looks to be easily the best yet. I HATE it that they are rebooting it, and the new Dante is nassssty, but the game looks to be very good.[/QUOTE]

If you read my posts, then you'd know I have watched every single gameplay video pertaining to DmC and the gameplay looks like a janky mess. The fluid animation, heavy hitting impacts, and stylish cancels are replaced with silly redundant and repetitive motions, poor implementation of physics, dodgy hit detection, and more.

It looks to be easily the most mediocre action I've seen. It looks like an average Western action game, and not of the standard that DMC has set out before it. But some people like that, or can't tell the difference. There is nothing impressive about the footage aside from the use of color. But, there will always be people impressed with mediocrity regardless. Hopefully most will expect more.

I'd love an Onimusha Collection, too.

Devil May Cry is a lot slower than all the action games that have cropped up since it helped start the genre. In comparison to those it feels out dated. This new game looks to fix that. We'll see if it works or not, but for at least that reason it has a lot of promise.

Is it me or does the ps3 version have a much better looking cover art ? Im going to get that version anyway as I need the dual shock controler for this baby. The art is a bonus

[quote name='Zaku77']Devil May Cry is a lot slower than all the action games that have cropped up since it helped start the genre. In comparison to those it feels out dated. This new game looks to fix that. We'll see if it works or not, but for at least that reason it has a lot of promise.[/QUOTE]

I cannot take this post seriously. What games are you playing that are faster than DMC3 and 4? Devil May Cry 1 is slower because it was the first action game period. It INVENTED the genre. Today, however nothing has yet to come close to DMC3 and DMC4, except for maybe Bayonetta. Look up DMC combo videos on Youtube and tell me that it's slow.

I'll post two random ones here.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMH2JT7AMM0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T_RdUPNg6k

It's only slow if you literally don't know how to play the game. DmC isn't fixing anything.

I have 1000 in DMC 4. I know how to play it very well. It does not feel nearly as fast as God Of War or Ninja Gaiden (the other big dogs).

Haha...when you guys are talking about 1000 on DMC4, I had no idea that was and had to google it because I only have a PS3.

I'd have to disagree that DMC4 "feels" slower than GOW or NG, but Bayonetta seems really frantic to me compared to the above.

The achievement system has been around for so much longer that I'm even in the habit of calling my platinums 1000s :3 lol

[quote name='Zaku77']I have 1000 in DMC 4. I know how to play it very well. It does not feel nearly as fast as God Of War or Ninja Gaiden (the other big dogs).[/QUOTE]

I have a 1000 in DMC4. I also have a 1250 in Ninja Gaiden II. I've also completed God of War, God of War 2, Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden Black, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma on the hardest difficulty levels. I still have no idea how you could possibly come to the conclusion that DMC is a slower game than the others listed. It's only as slow as you are. And if you're slow, then the game plays slowly.

[quote name='dohdough']Haha...when you guys are talking about 1000 on DMC4, I had no idea that was and had to google it because I only have a PS3.

I'd have to disagree that DMC4 "feels" slower than GOW or NG, but Bayonetta seems really frantic to me compared to the above.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Like I said, Bayonetta comes sort of close. Ninja Gaiden II comes close. God of War has never been close. Just because the default weapon is really weak/quick and you can roll cancel, the entire game is faster?

[quote name='GuardianE']I cannot take this post seriously. What games are you playing that are faster than DMC3 and 4? Devil May Cry 1 is slower because it was the first action game period. It INVENTED the genre. Today, however nothing has yet to come close to DMC3 and DMC4, except for maybe Bayonetta. Look up DMC combo videos on Youtube and tell me that it's slow.

I'll post two random ones here.

It's only slow if you literally don't know how to play the game. DmC isn't fixing anything.[/QUOTE]

Such good memories here. DMC3 is seriously unprecedented in the genre. I don't know what this guy's talking about. Much as I enjoyed the God of War series, they're among the slowest action games I've come across.

[quote name='GuardianE']I have a 1000 in DMC4. I also have a 1250 in Ninja Gaiden II. I've also completed God of War, God of War 2, Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden Black, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma on the hardest difficulty levels.[/QUOTE]Yeah? Well I've got 1000 in Ninja Blade. I totally pressed the button at the right time during those quick time events. Take that! :cool:

[quote name='Thrinn']Yeah? Well I've got 1000 in Ninja Blade. Take that! :cool:[/QUOTE]

I would play Ninja Blade! I haven't really seen it on sale, or been motivated enough to pick it up, though. Action games and Stylish Action games, are my favorite genres outside of fighting games. I've played a lot of them, some good, many bad. And I have a vested interest in them.

The concern isn't whether or not DmC will be a serviceable game. It will probably be comfortingly mediocre, like that old sandwich place you visit every thursday for lunch. I've played, and enjoyed, mediocre action games. However, Devil May Cry's combat is unique and unparalleled. The gameplay shouldn't be sacrificied, and it shouldn't be handed off to some third rate Western developer.

If I had my way, Ninja Theory would be working on a new Onimusha instead. Its a series that could use rebooting, the combat is simple and methodical, and it's focus is much more about lore and beautiful setpieces/settings.

[quote name='GuardianE']If I had my way, Ninja Theory would be working on a new Onimusha instead. It's a series that could use rebooting, the combat is simple and methodical, and it's focus is much more about lore and beautiful setpieces/settings.[/QUOTE]
This is actually a really good call.

My only fear would be that we'd end up with some bastardized telling of Japanese mythology though.:cry:

[quote name='dohdough']This is actually a really good call.

My only fear would be that we'd end up with some bastardized telling of Japanese mythology though.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Oh, it'd be a bastardization for sure. It would probably have mechas or steampunk or something. But the bastardization of Japanese mythology isn't completely new to Onimusha. And Onimusha is a series that has more or less concluded the stories involving the current characters. There's flexibility in the writing. I don't like Ninja Theory, but I acknowledge their limited strengths in vibrant color use and cutscene mocap work, both of which could be good in Onimusha.

I've not been very impressed by any of their gameplay in past games. Everything else in Enslaved was awesome though. They'll get it right eventually haha.

Hopefully a RE HD collection is next.

Speaking of fast paced action games how about dat Asuras wrath looks badass

[quote name='GUNNM']Hopefully a RE HD collection is next.[/QUOTE]

You can't make a PS1 game look HD unless it's a complete remake. Considering that 1-3 are on PSN already along with CVX, 4, and soon to be 5, it's not gonna happen.

Only thing you could hope for is REmake and 0 getting ported and those are even a longer shot.

[quote name='DeathBringer']i hope they use HD models and not upscaled HD.[/QUOTE]

Given the price and the history of other previous collections such as this, it's safe to say that the games will just be upscaled.

[quote name='GUNNM']Hopefully a RE HD collection is next.

Speaking of fast paced action games how about dat Asuras wrath looks badass[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely looking out for Asuras Wrath. We need more over the top games like this to come out. :bouncy:

[quote name='Prismatico']The thing about Kingdom Hearts 1 is that I don't believe they're allowed to ever use Tarzan in any form anymore, re-release or not.[/QUOTE]

Why not? Haven't heard anything about this..

[quote name='DeathBringer']i hope they use HD models and not upscaled HD.[/QUOTE]

Eh, let's be reasonable. Not even the God of War Collection, which is hailed as the pinnacle of HD remasters, recreated HD models. None of these HD remakes are as lazy as "upscales" in the purest definition of the word, anyway.

bread's done
Back