Diablo 3 requires a constant internet connection for offline play.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Why greed?[/QUOTE]

No mods = you must pay for our maps.
No offline or LAN = once we decide that we aren't making enough money, we'll close the servers down and you need to buy the next game (sorta like EA and it's sports franchises, although you can still play them offline).
Also, you're basically paying for a long-term rental or lease. If you have offline mode, then you can play it forever. Like has already been said. MMO's are what they are. But single player experiences shouldn't be forced to go online.

And everyone says that the cash auction house will get rid of spammers. That may be true, but it won't eliminate gold farming. It just allows Blizzard to get a cut of the action. After hearing about what goes on in China, this is very morally questionable.

EDIT: I have plenty of digital download games. But I always try to find cracks for each and every one of them, so I play them whenever and wherever I like.

[quote name='mogamer']No mods = you must pay for our maps.
No offline or LAN = once we decide that we aren't making enough money, we'll close the servers down and you need to buy the next game (sorta like EA and it's sports franchises, although you can still play them offline).
Also, you're basically paying for a long-term rental or lease. If you have offline mode, then you can play it forever. Like has already been said. MMO's are what they are. But single player experiences shouldn't be forced to go online.

And everyone says that the cash auction house will get rid of spammers. That may be true, but it won't eliminate gold farming. It just allows Blizzard to get a cut of the action. After hearing about what goes on in China, this is very morally questionable.[/QUOTE]

Pay for their maps? Isn't that what you do when you buy the game, or are you talking about expansions, which are expected from most PC games, and Blizzard is known for producing some of the best around, those maps?

Blizzard still supports Diablo and Diablo 2 online, games that have been out for 15 and 11 years now, respectively. What makes you think that they would stop supporting Diablo 3, and if they did, don't you think they would patch it so it doesn't require the connection? No point in "stopping the pirates" if they aren't supporting the game anymore.

And Blizzard is supposed to make it's business decisions based on what a bunch of weasels in China do now? What's next, stopping loot drops altogether and have people just gain power as they level, to try to stop gold farmers? Or stopping character progression altogether to stop powerlevelers? Make everybody on the same playing field, nobody ever able to gain an advantage, because otherwise Chinese people might be exploited. OH NOES!

Seriously, I'm surprised Blizzard doesn't just block all Chinese IP's from playing their games (Although then people would use proxies or something, and people would claim they are "discriminating against the Chinese", even if they ran seperate Chinese-only servers. Oh wait, they DO.). How is Blizzard supposed to win any argument about gold farmers? Next we'll hear "Blizzard should stop making games, and shut down the ones it has made, to stop the exploitation of the Chinese!"

[quote name='mogamer']Steam was down for several people (including me) just a week or maybe two weeks ago. Couldn't even play games in offline mode. So, it can happen to any closed system.[/QUOTE]

You can then insert my other catch phrase...

Retail Fail

----

BTW - There was a way to play your SP games and even some of the MP games with STEAM down during that time period.

[quote name='SteveGo']Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch. Typical CAG thread.[/QUOTE]

You forgot to add the bitchiest bitch that ever bitch. The bitch that bitches about bitching.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Detecting such activity is much easier said than done. When the user's offline, the game would have to save something somewhere detailing either what happened in the game/what processes were running on the computer/if there was any RAM data accessed outside of normal operation procedures/whatever else Blizz could use to identify an offline hack. Moment someone finds these logs and figures out a way to modify them such that Blizzard either the logs don't send up a red flag, they're screwed. Sure, it could take some time and a bit of work, but considering there's money on the line, you can bet people are gonna try till they succeed.[/QUOTE]
I maybe misremembering, but I believe EQ used to store some character data client side, and they had no trouble detecting manipulation of it.
[quote name='JasonTerminator']So should Blizzard not even try to make the game harder to hack? There's always gonna be people trying to cheat, but if it's enough of a hassle to cheat, most people won't do it. That's the key to success with anti-cheating mechanisms, just look at WoW. I played WoW for 4 years, and I never experienced any real cheating in the game. I'd say that's damned impressive..[/QUOTE]
You can make it harder for people to cheat while still offering an offline mode, their is no reason you couldn't have offline characters and online characters.

[quote name='SteveGo']Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch. Typical CAG thread.[/QUOTE]
Blah blah blah, typical ignorant post.

[quote name='itachiitachi']You can make it harder for people to cheat while still offering an offline mode, their is no reason you couldn't have offline characters and online characters.[/QUOTE]

Sup D2, that worked out so well for you.

I've been reading through this thread and some of the posts have been cracking me up. Personally this news really isn't a big deal to me. I'm all for Blizzard trying to crack down on the hacking and piracy. I mean come on people, it's not like Blizzard decided to do this just to alienate or piss people off. They have their reasons why they are doing this. For the very small number of people that literally do not have an internet connection, this is terrible news for them.

What I really don't understand is all the people bitching about this that doesn't impact them or affect them at all. How many people in this thread that are grabbing their pitchforks have a stable reliable internet connection will be able to play the game just fine. Anyone who is capable of playing Diablo 3 without problems but chooses to pirate the game just because this decision has pissed them off for whatever reason is a douchebag.

[quote name='bg88']I cannot possibly understand how people could argue for the principle of something.[/QUOTE]
Its ok, there are a lot of people like you on the internet.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Its ok, there are a lot of people like you on the internet.[/QUOTE]

Twisting and changing my words to try and prove your point...

There are tons and tons of people on the internet just like you.

[quote name='bg88']I mean come on people, it's not like Blizzard decided to do this just to alienate or piss people off. They have their reasons why they are doing this.[/QUOTE]

I don't think - from what I read on here - that anyone is debating their motives. It's implementation that is at the core of this topic.

[quote name='bg88']What I really don't understand is all the people bitching about this that doesn't impact them or affect them at all. How many people in this thread that are grabbing their pitchforks have a stable reliable internet connection will be able to play the game just fine. Anyone who is capable of playing Diablo 3 without problems but chooses to pirate the game just because this decision has pissed them off for whatever reason is a douchebag.[/QUOTE]

You are attacking two fronts here.

In one you said
How many people in this thread that are grabbing their pitchforks have a stable reliable internet connection will be able to play the game just fine.

Coupled with statement about impacting and affecting - Are you saying that even though many ppl can deal with this that they should not discus their feelings about it? Or how this will prevent them from purchasing it.

You are seriously attacking the actual act of discussion and debate?

In your other statement you then condemn piracy...

So you rant a little all over the place.

Shameful display.

Just because you're cool with the product as is - Does not mean everyone else should be.

Basically the point I'm trying to bring up is my trouble understanding why people that aren't affected by something are getting so up in arms about it. If someone in this thread was going to be unable to play the game because of this, that is completely justifiable and I understand that. Forgive me but I'm having trouble with the thought of this being a deal breaker or maybe even worthy of piracy when it won't impact these people at all.

I also read through my post you are quoting and it didn't seem like I was ranting a little all over the place to me. I am simply voicing my opinion like you and everyone else in this thread. I haven't said anything as far as people shouldn't have the right to discuss and debate. It is a two-way street though. You may not agree with what I'm saying but calling it a "shameful display" makes you come off looking like an elitist.

[quote name='bg88']Basically the point I'm trying to bring up is my trouble understanding why people that aren't affected by something are getting so up in arms about it.[/QUOTE]

That's not how your post read. You attacked those that are not going along with it even though they can play the game (if they could).

Just because ppl can play a game as it is, does not mean they should. Perhaps, they wanted to play offline like they did in Diablo I and II. Perhaps, they can but feel really strongly about the AH. Perhaps, they just have different standards then you.

In a larger context, you have trouble understanding why someone is up in arms about something that does not affect them? Are you mad? There are countless subjects that ppl are quite up and in arms about in this world. Some of them may or may not affect them directly. Yet you can not understand how or why they would get up arms about it?

So if a man is against rape and gets up in arms about it - You don't understand why he would be?

So if a person is against drunk driving but neither drinks and/or drives - You don't understand why that person would be?

These are non-video games examples but just trying to show you how foolish your opinion is coming across.

[quote name='bg88']If someone in this thread was going to be unable to play the game because of this, that is completely justifiable and I understand that. Forgive me but I'm having trouble with the thought of this being a deal breaker or maybe even worthy of piracy when it won't impact these people at all.[/QUOTE]

How is this not a deal breaker if a person wanted to play this offline and/or wants to play mods or make their own?

Explain how you can not understand this?

[quote name='bg88']I also read through my post you are quoting and it didn't seem like I was ranting a little all over the place to me. I am simply voicing my opinion like you and everyone else in this thread. I haven't said anything as far as people shouldn't have the right to discuss and debate. It is a two-way street though. You may not agree with what I'm saying but calling it a "shameful display" makes you come off looking like an elitist.[/QUOTE]

How am I coming across as an elitist, exactly?

It was a rant all over the place since you used a lot of negative words to describes those that did not believe what you believe. Re-read your post.

Your statement and stance is not presented well. You speak more about how others are coming across incorrectly to you based on your belief - that if they can, they should and not even talk about.

You did in fact, attack the actual act of discussion and debate. You just called it "bitching."

You presented your point of view poorly and without much reason except for your feelings towards it. While that may be your opinion - and I'm not saying for you not to speak - it leaves you open for counter argument.

Your not respecting other people's standard - instead you bring up piracy to justify your negative feelings towards those that won't be getting the game when most of the people here are not even talking about piracy. They are just not interested in dealing with game as it is being presented. But that's probably something you will fail to understand.

Hence, shameful display.

i-bMtwfTg-L.jpg

So while being an inconvenience for some I fail to understand how this is as big of a deal as some are making it out to be. The always on DRM just doesn't push my buttons that much I guess. I thought by now we all would be so used to playing games/using services that require a person to be Online at all times that this wouldn't be such a huge deal anymore. I don't bitch about not being able to play Battlefield or use XBL or PSN on a plane trip. I know those aren't exactly 1 to 1 comparisons there but do you see what I'm trying to get at here? This is where gaming is going, always Online always connected all the time. Cloud gaming is coming sooner or later. And as the infrastructure around the World gets better and better this will become a nonexistent issue. I realize we aren't there yet (especially in the US) but it is coming. I live on farm 4 miles outside of a town of about 3,000 people. I have only been able to get DSL within the last 10 years or so. It isn't the fastest connection around by any means but it's great for gaming.

I realize I went off track a bit there but you see what I'm saying? This issue isn't going away, instead it's growing. Gamers are just going to have to find ways to adapt to it. Piracy is a big deal, cheating and hacking is a big deal. People are shit, they will always try to find a way to steal/ruin other's experiences. I think Blizzard and all these other companies are trying to curb this as best they can, unfortunately pissing off and alienating people in the process. So goes the World today.

If the real money AH didn't exist I'm not sure if this DRM would exist for D3. But why is Blizzard instituting a real money AH? Because D2 turned into an Online clusterfuck of hacking, cheating, and Ebaying of in game items. Whether the DRM helps stop this from happening in D3 remains to be seen, but they have to try something.

[quote name='Megazell']

In a larger context, you have trouble understanding why someone is up in arms about something that does not affect them? Are you mad? There are countless subjects that ppl are quite up and in arms about in this world. Some of them may or may not affect them directly. Yet you can not understand how or why they would get up arms about it?

So if a man is against rape and gets up in arms about it - You don't understand why he would be?

So if a person is against drunk driving but neither drinks and/or drives - You don't understand why that person would be?

These are non-video games examples but just trying to show you how foolish your opinion is coming across.

How am I coming across as an elitist, exactly?

Hence, shameful display.[/QUOTE]

You keep telling me I don't understand things and then you pull out this card. You are comparing what I've brought up about always having to be online to play Diablo 3 (video game) to rape and drunk driving. You say my opinion is foolish. I think about video games in a different way than real life issues. I didn't figure I would need to clarify that. Rape and drunk driving are both against the law and actually physically harm or even kill people. This Diablo 3 issue requires you to be online to play the game...

You are using drunk driving and rape to try and show how foolish my opinion is when it comes to a video game issue. Once again I am not attacking the act of discussion or debate. I used the word "bitching" since not every post in here would fall under discussion. When someone says something like "fuck you Blizzard" that is not debate or discussion as I see it. I'm not failing to understand what people are saying in this thread.

I used the word elitist to describe you since you have used the words "shameful display" towards at least 4 or 5 other people besides me. It is a sign of disrespect towards others.

[quote name='bg88']You keep telling me I don't understand things and then you pull out this card.[/QUOTE]

This will be my last post because it seems you are lost in the fundamentals of your OWN argument.

When did I TELL (statement) YOU anything about you not understanding? I was asking you to explain yourself and how you can not understand others point of view.

Again, when you stated this

Basically the point I'm trying to bring up is my trouble understanding why people that aren't affected by something are getting so up in arms about it.

you wrote in a general sense. Not in terms of Diablo and/or video gaming.

[quote name='bg88']You are comparing what I've brought up about always having to be online to play Diablo 3 (video game) to rape and drunk driving.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. I am using your general statement

Basically the point I'm trying to bring up is my trouble understanding why people that aren't affected by something are getting so up in arms about it.

and the examples I provided to show how that train of thought is in fact foolish.

[quote name='bg88']You say my opinion is foolish.[/QUOTE]

Correct.

[quote name='bg88']I think about video games in a different way than real life issues.[/QUOTE]

What the?

Explain this to me because it's a real life decision to purchase or not purchase this game.

[quote name='bg88']I didn't figure I would need to clarify that.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you even know what your point of view is anymore.

[quote name='bg88']Rape and drunk driving are both against the law and actually physically harm or even kill people.[/QUOTE]

What does this have to do with anything. Again see my first two responses to understand what you WROTE and what I responded with. It seems like you're focusing on the wrong thing here to avoid explaining your own argument from the previous post.

[quote name='bg88']This Diablo 3 issue requires you to be online to play the game...

You are using drunk driving and rape to try and show how foolish my opinion is when it comes to a video game issue.[/QUOTE]

Don't you mean a consumer issue?

[quote name='bg88']Once again I am not attacking the act of discussion or debate. I used the word "bitching" since not every post in here would fall under discussion. When someone says something like "fuck you Blizzard" that is not debate or discussion as I see it. I'm not failing to understand what people are saying in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Then why not quote/point them out to better express your point instead of sweeping the entire thread under that negative term broom of yours?

You are failing to understand what ppl are saying if you never address the legitimate arguments people posted about as to why they won't be getting this game. Instead you go into the 'I don't understand...' line which sweeps but the 'bitchers' and the ppl that have legitimate reason as to why this is a no go for them together.

[quote name='bg88']I used the word elitist to describe you since you have used the words "shameful display" towards at least 4 or 5 other people besides me. It is a sign of disrespect towards others.[/QUOTE]

I've used it before and I've (for the most part) put the reasons why I believe so.

Again how does saying that statement make me an elitist? Do you understand this term or are you just using the latest internet buzz word because you don't agree with me?

I am hoping this will be my final post in this argument because it isn't getting either of us anywhere. I will try to make this post relatively short. Obviously it is a real life issue for a consumer to potentially purchase a game. But at the core of the issue is Diablo 3 which is a video game. It is something that has been made up, created, it is a fantasy world, fiction. Drunk driving and rape (2 examples you brought up) are 100% real and put lives in danger. I felt like these 2 examples were extremely poor examples to use and how they are not comparable at all TO ME. Hence why I think about video games in a different way than those 2 issues you brought up. You asked me to explain that so that is what I am trying to do. You say I haven't addressed a legitimate argument that people have made but I have. I talked in an earlier post about how it is a terrible break for the people that don't have any kind of stable internet. Never once have I said there aren't legitimate reasons for some people to not get this game. You have been talking to me like a person that sees a movie with a complex plot. They don't understand the plot so they feel like it doesn't make any logical sense. I know what the term elitist means. Maybe I could have chosen a better word to use but my point still stands. You have come off to me looking disrespectful and negative towards quite a few people in here. You apparently don't think you have been doing this so I'm not sure what else I can say.

I haven't read through this whole thread, but its like this. Blizzard is supporting there being a game items to real cash marketplace; by requiring an online connection while playing they ensure players don't try to manipulate the game.

Not sure why everyone here is throwing a fit...

[quote name='seen']I haven't read through this whole thread, but its like this. Blizzard is supporting there being a game items to real cash marketplace; by requiring an online connection while playing they ensure players don't try to manipulate the game.

Not sure why everyone here is throwing a fit...[/QUOTE]
Maybe you should read the thread then.

bread's done
Back