Diablo III / Diablo II Battle.net Thread

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']I know it's blasphemy to say it, but I'm not getting a good feeling about D3 for some reason :\[/QUOTE]

your not the only one. I am still going to check this out but not getting a good feeling about it at all.

I demand this shirt be placed in the Blizzard store for purchase: http://kotaku.com/5062184/behold-the-new-diablo-iii-logo-t+shirt

diabloIIIlogotee.jpg

Well, picked this game up again. Managed to do a mini marathon and get my necro up to level 70ish. Just was lucky to find a rush and a bot that was doing plenty of smooth baal runs. If anyone wants to play, just hit me up. I'm on as option-iv, atm hanging out at the Op Vala channel (plenty of baal runs available here).

"We are looking to monetize Battle.Net so that we get to keep making these games and updating features," said Wilson. "We kind of have to." He went on to say that they do recognize that everyone loves having it as a free service, and that they don't have a strong desire to make a subscription-based game.
----
They want to monetize. A b.net usage fee would be one way to do so. While they say they don't have a strong desire, that isn't a "we won't do it." They are likely looking at all options, including a p2p method.
----
With Battle.net we're definitely looking at possible different features that we might be able to do for additional money. We're not talking about Hellgate or anything like that. We're not going to tack things on. I think World of Warcraft is a great example to look at. We charge people if they want to switch servers or if they want name changes, things that aren't core to the game experience, they're really just optional things that some people want. It takes us some development work to do it, so it makes sense to charge for it. We would never do something like say to get the full game experience, you'll have to pay extra.
----
Again, they never come out and say they aren't going to do it. They simply say they won't charge extra. In the context of WoW (which is the example they are using to compare to), yes, it does have those optional things to pay for, but by choosing WoW I could see where they would say the subscription fee isn't extra, its built into the core of the game (if they wanted to justify a move in that direction later on). Meaning, the possibility is not yet ruled out until they specifically state, there will be no direct charges associated with battle.net or the games.

I should probably throw this quote from Rob Pardo into the thread:

We're definitely not looking at turning Diablo into a subscription based game. It's clearly not an MMO, so it's not appropriate to do a business model like that.

Take that for what you will. But if Diablo III, the most likely candidate for a P2P model, isn't getting one, then is there really any other game under the Battle.net umbrella that will? I kind of doubt it.

Disclaimer: I don't consider microtransactions like WoW's server and nick changes to be part of P2P, since they are not required to play.

EDIT: Also, Blizzard has made it clear in the past that they prefer to look at the pricing model of each of their games individually. A blanket P2P model over Battle.net directly conflicts with that methodology.

Good to hear it about a single game. But it still doesn't rule out a battle.net fee.

Even though the article is titled "No Subscription Fees for Battle.net or Diablo III, Hellgate's Failure Used As Reference"

The text itself seems to avoid talking about battle.net, which is the thing being monetized, not d3.

[quote name='eswat']
EDIT: Also, Blizzard has made it clear in the past that they prefer to look at the pricing model of each of their games individually. A blanket P2P model over Battle.net directly conflicts with that methodology.[/QUOTE]
Blizzard wasn't Blizzactivision in the past.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Blizzard wasn't Blizzactivision in the past.[/QUOTE]Rob Pardo repeated their business model methodology at BlizzCon, so I'd imagine they still go through the same decision as before. I prefer not to get into the whole Blizzivision mess.

True, Hellforge's title was misleading, but it's their/Joystiq's quote that I cared about. With Diablo III relying on Battle.net for online play, it wouldn't make sense for Pardo to say that DIII wouldn't get a subscription model, but then announce one with Battle.net later on. But that's just my assumption. If someone were to ask me if they needed a subscription to play a game on the 360, I'd say yes, because of Xbox LIVE, even though the individual games don't actually charge you a dime per month.

Hey, i'm thinking of pressing charges against Blizzard. I don't think I can handle Diablo ]|[ being so far away... They shouldn't be allowed to show it so awesomely so early, cause now I am dieing here.

I can't believe there was no Christmas update... I love how the news page whored out WoW music on iTunes though... :roll:

I think I'm gonna start playing again.

Anyone still playin? List name and server please.

My friend just told me about Median 2008, gonna give that a try.

How laggy are the servers? Seeing how I'm on the east coast I dunno if I could handle the lag. I'll make an account though.

What's everyone's name? I might already have you added on my list, my account is still up.

egigs

add me

I would guess it is fine. Back in 1.09 I'd play on all the different servers, east, asia, etc. and never had any problems. Now there are far less people playing, I'd say it'd be the same or better.

I'm currently playing single player (level 24 Amazon), I'm a Bowazon... but I don't know what to put my points into. Most if not all guides focus on PVP, but since I am only playing with my GF I don't need to be good at that.

Exploding arrow is good, should I go for Immolation arrow instead? Should I max out freezing arrow? Multi-shot is good, but it takes to much mana. And it's not like I will be getting INSANE gear (so I will run out of mana...). Any advice? Thanks

And should my GF (shes a ice sorc) go frozen orb or blizzard? Shes a newb though, so what ever is easier is a plus.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I'm currently playing single player (level 24 Amazon), I'm a Bowazon... but I don't know what to put my points into. Most if not all guides focus on PVP, but since I am only playing with my GF I don't need to be good at that.

Exploding arrow is good, should I go for Immolation arrow instead? Should I max out freezing arrow? Multi-shot is good, but it takes to much mana. And it's not like I will be getting INSANE gear (so I will run out of mana...). Any advice? Thanks

And should my GF (shes a ice sorc) go frozen orb or blizzard? Shes a newb though, so what ever is easier is a plus.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if you should listen to me right now but I remember frozen orb being way better. As far as a non pvp amazon goes I would choose between strafe or multishot and then put most of the rest of the points in all the passive stuff.

Zon:
Back in 1.09 and the days of the Buriza zon, it was popular to use Guided Arrow, Multishot, various passive skills, and the stronger freezing arrow (don't remember what it was called, but its the last one in the cold line, it freezes groups of enemies instead of just 1). You can use guide arrow on single targets and never worry about missing (don't max it, 1 point is fine), it will always hit unless it is blocked (as in by a shield block check). Multishot for groups (don't max this, just put enough points in to give you a decent cone of arrows in front of you). Freezing Arrow to... freeze enemies in place while you snipe away at them (you can choose to max it and its synergy if you want a source of elemental damage to kill physical immunes, but its main purpose is the freeze). And then passive skills as you see fit.
As a zon, you'll want to acquire an item that grants you knockback asap. This can come from various sources and I think you can even craft some gloves with the knockback mod. Cleglaw's Claw is a good cheap source that also slows enemies by.. 25% I think.
You'll also want some sources of mana leech. Mana leech rings are easy to find, and if you've got an open socket, you can stuff a perfect skull inside to give you some mana/life leech. Don't worry about ruining the item as you can de-socket items now with a hel rune and a scroll of TP.
Multishot does cost a bit of mana, but if you don't put too many points in it, once you start hitting 3 or 4 enemies at a time with a couple of mana leech sources, you'll gain all that mana back.

Sorc:
Orb is good if you want to multispec in another element, as you only need to max orb and cold mastery (don't bother with the the 2% from that weak ice shard spell synergy) for it to be effective.

A popular path to take with frozen orb is meteor+orb or lighting/chain lighting+orb.

Blizzard is far more popular, as it does ridiculous damage thanks in large part to cold mastery. It also has quite the reputation in PvP thanks to the autoaim and TMC people. If you don't have stacks res and/or absorb cold items, you can easily die from one casting of blizzard.

Alright I've been playing the single player and my whole inventory is full of charms... I can't seem to throw them away. How do you determine how many charms you should have? And what should I do with em? It's nice having the little extra stuff they give but its a pain having a full inventory.

How I play is:
PvP- Inventory completely full of charms
PvE- Inventory full of charms and cube

If you see something you want, open your inventory and stash it in the cube. However, this probably won't work well for you since I am extremely selective about what I bother to take the time picking up. Maybe that'd be good for you though, learn to only pick up the best stuff.

Ya I guess ur right, just use the cube. I'm also an amazon so arrows are annoying as well, hehe. Thanks.

But I have like a lot of charms that are crappy like I have 3 Grand Charms that give +8 to Dex and one gc that gives +1-5 lightning dmg! Damn grand charms!

Toss out +5 lightning dmg.. that's pretty useless.

If you're just questing PvM you probably don't want to keep too many charms. +8 dex can be quite helpful.. but be selective. When questing, a larger inventory is helpful because you'll want to pick up everything with good resale value, as gold is usually useful for more than just merc revives at that point.

[quote name='option.iv']Well, picked this game up again. Managed to do a mini marathon and get my necro up to level 70ish. Just was lucky to find a rush and a bot that was doing plenty of smooth baal runs. If anyone wants to play, just hit me up. I'm on as option-iv, atm hanging out at the Op Vala channel (plenty of baal runs available here).[/quote]

So what do you guys do after you level up? Do you play player vs player? Do you sell your character? It seems like everyone who plays is 'rushing', but I am not sure what they are rushing to.

The ultimate goal for many is to make a "perfect" PvP character or have an account full of "perfect" characters. This usually involves several remakes of the same character as better gear becomes available to you through mfing.

For example, right now I'm working on a ghost/trapper hybrid assassin. A perfect one would put no points in anything except strength or dex vitality. However, since I don't have perfect gear/charms, I can't really get away with that, so I've had to waste 40 points or so getting her stats up to use some decent items. When I get those items, I'll delete the character and remake her for those 40 points. I also cannot currently afford the majority of her gear without trading away one of my other character's gear, so I use my MF/GF barb to hunt for rares and gold to use for trading to work towards that gear.

Its a slow process, and I only play an hour or two a night, so it'll keep me busy for awhile. Plus D2 is one of those games where you can just boot it up, do a few runs, pk for a bit, help some random people, and then turn it off. So, it works well inbetween other games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only if its perfect gear or until I get the piece of perfect gear to replace it. And I do mean perfect. On armor, it has to be the maximum base armor value in addition to have max stats. On weapons, mods have to be perfect in a superior 15% base item.

[quote name='slowdive21']So what do you guys do after you level up? Do you play player vs player? Do you sell your character? It seems like everyone who plays is 'rushing', but I am not sure what they are rushing to.[/quote]

Playing online is extremely boring; I made a sorc (fire) and met this pretty nice guy and he quickly rushed me through norm-hell, than he "gubered" me. Got to level 88 and than he gave me all the best sorc items + torch + soj's. Now if I play online I just sit in the chat rooms waiting for someone to do anything... or I go into a Duel game and die in 1 hit. Wee...

Single Player (with my girlfriend, lan style) is the most fun I have had with this game, ever. So much more rewarding.

Toss out +5 lightning dmg.. that's pretty useless.

If you're just questing PvM you probably don't want to keep too many charms. +8 dex can be quite helpful.. but be selective. When questing, a larger inventory is helpful because you'll want to pick up everything with good resale value, as gold is usually useful for more than just merc revives at that point.

Ya but my Amazon does like 45 damage.... so I take every damage point I can get. Whereas my online fire sorc does 35k with one meteor.

You know there are people who play the game normally. I periodically wipe my entire account just because I like starting over from nothing and working my way back up. Its that working my way up part that's fun imo, not the end result. Though clearing a pvp room of assholes is pretty fun.

I used play on multiplayer (open?) by myself (not on the internet). That way I could level up without starting over in single player. I played battlenet once recently but the people I was sharing a game with were rushing...I think it takes the fun out of the game. Everyone is looking for cheats or gold too. It gets really annoying...Like when I would play starcraft and someone would rush my base in the first 30 seconds and wipe me out. Sorry just an old gamer rambling about the ADD generation.

How can you have spare points? There's like a billion synergies for blizzard. If you aren't high enough level to use the points in a synergy yet, save the points until you can.

She's 29, got the points from Azurel (Angel Dude) and it wont let her put points into blizzard due to it being max (level 5), I'm just gonna have her put it into Frozen mastery and frozen orb when she hits 30.

Hmm? Not really..

You can put as many points as you want into whatever you want, so long as it doesn't exceed (current level - required level) or 20, whichever is lower.

So for Blizzard, requiring level 24, you can't max it until level 44.

Darkness, you shouldn't have Frozen Orb as a Blizz sorc, it's a waste of skill points. You should only have Blizzard, Cold Mastery, Blizzard's synergies (Bolt, Blast, Spike), teleport, warmth and a shield (up to you which one). Anything else is wasted points.

[quote name='slowdive21']Does the game still limit you to 1 point per each skill per level up?[/quote]

Yes.

You get blizzard at level 24(?) shes level 29, she has 5 points into blizzard. It does this so you don't save up all your points and right when you hit level 30 max out your top skills and destroy everything.

Is there a reason why my amazon sucks really bad? MY gf's sorc does around 200-250 dmg with her blizzard I do 30-60 with my skills... I don't do anything... help me!!!

Of course not. You're an item based class vs. a skill based class. That's the good thing about caster classes, the don't need gear to do good damage. You will need to find a kick ass bow, because even when you get your freezing arrow maxed, its damage it only good enough to kill the occasional physical immune. Main use being to freeze enemies in place.

Oh, so I should max Freezing arrow?

Sort of confused on what to do. As of now (im 31) I have points into my entire Passive Skills/Abilities tree and atleast 1 point into all my bow tree (except strafe) 6 into guided arrow and more points into others.

What should I start focusing on maxing? I like multi shot, but the damage is so bad and takes so much mana.

(Thanks for the help!)

bread's done
Back