Diablo III / Diablo II Battle.net Thread

I don't know if its called freezing arrow or not. The last cold arrow skill that freezes groups. You can max that one. You really don't need to max anything else which is why hybrids are popular since being a bow zon needs few points to be effective if you're not a stafer.

I guess you could. But again, its one of those 1 point wonder skills that you use mainly to ensure that you're not gonna miss.

If you want freezing arrow as a main skill, max cold arrow as well to increase the damage. Don't max Ice Arrow, as that just slightly lengthens the freeze duration which doesn't matter when you're constantly freezing them anyway.

Thanks for the help.

K I need a rush guide for act 5, I just rushed my barb (with my GF's sorc, we just beat the game =) ) to act 5, but I tried rushing act 5 and it said "Cant complete quest" I know there is that glitch, but is there another way? I only got 2 people.

THANKS!

*oh, you have to be level 20... lame.

It's literally impossible finding guides for Diablo 2 that aren't all focused on PVP or online. Every guide assumes you can get all the best gear... Want a damn single player guide for my barb.

Last edited by a moderator:
well why would you build a character with the goal of using bad gear?

much of the "best" gear is required if you're going to make it through hell with only 2 people with the non-magic classes.

Most guides offer you a perfect gear option, a recommended gear option, and a poorman's option as well.

What about these items make it so you can't do your build? You just use the most powerful weapon you have at the time.

Diablo 2 is an item based game. You need to find good items one way or another.

Good example here from a Warcry PVM guide:
[quote name='Warcry Barb']Helm: The best possible helm would be a Jawbone Visor, or other low strength barbarian helm with +3 Warcries, +3 BO, +3 WC, and + Shout/Leap or another useful skill, with the Whale or Squid suffix. Great Magic barb helm, socketed with two perfect skulls *Picture from SeraphimSilver

Another good option would be a 3 socketed barb helm, with +BO, WC, Shout or Leap. With 3 sapphires this kind of helm can provide a lot of mana.

Halabred’s Reign would also be nice, and much easier to find. Only disadvantage is the very high strength requirements.

Low cost/low level options: Radiance or Lore in a +skill helm, Peasant Crown War Hat[/quote]

and more guides have FAQs at the end like this:
[quote name='Frenzy Barb guide']Q: I can't afford godly gear, can I take a Frenzy barb to Hell?
A: My Frenzy Barb began as an untwinked ladder barb in the hopes that I would be able to write a guide for untwinked characters and he made it fairly far without outside help. In his mid 40s my Frenzy Barb found he had outgrown his pitiful weapons and needed help. Patience and resourcefulness are musts for untwinked melee characters, your ability to kill may be slowed by poor weapons, but War Cry and Natural Resist can certainly help your chances to survive. Even without great weapons or great armor or resists a Frenzy Barb has a good chance to make it to Hell, hopefully acquiring some adequate weapons to aid with the difficult journey ahead.[/quote]
They'll let you know if you need gg items or not.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Thanks for the help.

K I need a rush guide for act 5, I just rushed my barb (with my GF's sorc, we just beat the game =) ) to act 5, but I tried rushing act 5 and it said "Cant complete quest" I know there is that glitch, but is there another way? I only got 2 people.

THANKS!

*oh, you have to be level 20... lame.

It's literally impossible finding guides for Diablo 2 that aren't all focused on PVP or online. Every guide assumes you can get all the best gear... Want a damn single player guide for my barb.[/quote]

http://www.rpgforums.com/forums/diablo-ii-faq-forum/3559-how-successfully-glitch-rush.html

Ya, that glitch requires 3 people...

one more question... sorry. It's just so hard to find good build guides for single player. I'm making an Axe Barbarian (single player only, no PVP) whats a good idea for a build? No idea what to put my points in at my early level.

THANKS!

Also; when you have a merc is your exp split?

I wish they wouldn't have "fixed" guided arrow. I loved swarming with 20 GAs that all hit 3-4 times.

well that was also the time of hexes which made it x10 worse than it would usually be. all that dex made it insane and those wrings made elemental classes useless.

Booted up D2 for the umpteenth million time. I am trying the newest version of median Xl and must say so far I am pretty impressed with the mod. The new skills are pretty cool. I like the way the game forces you to choose between different branches of the new skills the mod added and the difficulty is pretty fair vs a lot of mods that make things insane.

[quote name='crystalklear64']well that was also the time of hexes which made it x10 worse than it would usually be. all that dex made it insane and those wrings made elemental classes useless.[/QUOTE]
and all the bullshit items that zon's had:
quarkmatbow.jpg

ithhydrabow.jpg

at least everyone has access to engima through the game mechanics. that hacked stuff had to be inserted into the game and duped as the only way to get one. or trade eventually, but it was usually to trade for other hacked stuff which still made it difficult.

[quote name='Kayden']I wish they wouldn't have "fixed" guided arrow. I loved swarming with 20 GAs that all hit 3-4 times.[/quote]

Ok...I thought I remembered that. I'm seeing this bs about, "Pierce does not work on GA" I remember friggen owning with that! It was so cool.

That's like saying everyone has a chance to be the Pope. While it is true, it's no less probable it will happen. I fail to see a difference between enigma and the hex whites. They're both massively over powered and probably only one of them is an original. What are the chances of finding Jah or Ber separately? I've been playing since the game came out and the highest rune I've ever found was a Vex (Bloody Foothills, Hell, just after Dac).

The only way to get enigma is to trade with a duper, either directly or indirectly.

[quote name='crystalklear64']at least everyone has access to engima through the game mechanics. that hacked stuff had to be inserted into the game and duped as the only way to get one. or trade eventually, but it was usually to trade for other hacked stuff which still made it difficult.[/quote]

But you don't have to find those high runes.

The average person even only playing for a week could get an Ist.

An Ist is considered equal to those other high runes, thanks to duping no doubt, in trading, and those can be obtained fairly easily/quickly through hellforge.

You'll have to trade with other people who probably have duped runes, but the end result is you getting an enigma.

--
I've been playing since the expansion and found 1Vex/1Ohm, but I have also cubed up to a Vex.

So yea, chances of you finding the exact runes you need are low, but that's what trading is for.

If there wasn't duping there wouldn't be any high rune gear.

The only things as valuable as high runes would be high runes. It'd be highly unlikely that anyone would find more than one with conventional play.

Blizzard tailored the game to the .1% that bot and dupe. They admonished the play style while simultaneously making it the only viable route.

I forgot what the hell I was talking about.

normally i would say they intended things like enigma to be special for the exceptionally lucky/rich. but after 1.09, they must have expected duping.

now as for being the only viable route. sure, if you're into the game for pvp. you want the best gear and all that. but i think it is way more fun (and probably why I still play) to simply use whatever you find for a character and try to beat the game on hell.

thats also why i'm trying to get these ironman nights going. me and zinrae/lord melvin have been having great fun with them just beating on each other with comparatively terrible characters with shitty items, and its way more fun than i've had doing high level pvp with perfect gear.

Here is the runes I have found while playing through single player:

Eld, tir, ith, thul, nef, el, Ral, Ort, Sol, eth, Tal, Shael

Let me know if there is anything good I can make with those. Still trying to find a Ko rune so I can make the Melody bow. I have an Ort + Eth bow right now, but it's not that good... damage wise.

Ort+Sol in a helm makes Lore. A decent runeword.
+1 To All Skill Levels
+10 To Energy
+2 To Mana After Each Kill
Lightning Resist +30%
Damage Reduced By 7
+2 To Light Radius

If you played ladder you could make an Insight for you merc since you seem to complain about mana issues.

Ral+Tir+Tal+Sol in a 4 socket polearm.

Level 12-17 Meditation Aura When Equipped (varies)
+35% Faster Cast Rate
+200-260% Enhanced Damage (varies)
+9 To Minimum Damage
180-250% Bonus to Attack Rating (varies)
Adds 5-30 Fire Damage
+75 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds
+1-6 To Critical Strike (varies)
+5 To All Attributes
+2 To Mana After Each Kill
23% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Hmm... now that you mention it, I think they changed it so you can.

Oh wait no. They just made it so ladder only items drop in single player. No go on the runewords unless you want to do a quick edit to your files.

Started another mod after finding that I didnt like the alterations of many of the skills in Median XL. Iv played a little further in this new mod Immersion and I am liking it MUCH better. All of the skills in the game can be invested in without investing in other skills, gotta love not having any perquisite skills. He kept the normal skills the same with some small tweaks to make them more or less powerfull, but then he also added 9 new skills per character. I find the new skills are very interesting and add a lot unlike most other mods. I am currently playing a sorceress and he gave her new attack skills, a new passive and each element has a summoned pet that cannot die but also cannot attack. This makes it a good damage sponged/distraction for the sorceress and it also adds a small boost to 1 of the stats(each element is a different boost).

I also like what it has done with the games economy and items. Items are more plentiful and the mods on items are better then in the standard game. There also are no level requirements on the items anymore. The downside is that bosses no longer have increased chances to drop unique and gold is hard to come by.

[quote name='orbit18']I always install d2, then play it for a day, and then never play it agian, and end up uninstalling. :([/QUOTE]

If you havnt you should try playing a mod. I recommend Eastern Sun personally. Mods can take the vanilla D2 experience and add some chocolate chips to it making it a much more enjoyable replay. Having 100s or 1,000s of new weapons and items to find, new bosses and spiced up skills is awesome.

[quote name='Kayden']The fun of eastern sun was on the private servers. It hasn't been the same since KVR went down.[/QUOTE]

/shrug to each his own. I hadnt played on a server since Perfect Cell was running the game. I played a new mod of Eastern Sun just a few months ago and had a great time. I am wondering if this new Immersion mod might overtake it in the long run though. Its one of the first mods in some time that I have played where it seems the difficulty is ramped up but still fair.

Yea. If you join a hosted mod game you crash if you see something custom.

Back before Blizzard squashed BnetD there were several private servers.

Been playing a lot of D2 lately (ugh, this game is so damn good) and I can't wait for Diablo 3! There's been a lot of discussion about the "Graphical" art style over the past months, and I never really got what the core complaint was about, I really enjoyed the look of the new Diablo. BUT, I don't know what it is; maybe my insane amount of time spent on D2 or what. But I'm starting to see how some D3 pictures could skew towards the WoW sides of things...

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/_images/screenshots/ss9-hires.jpg

Some instances it does look a little to close to WoW's style. The soft, bubbly textures of WoW are very apparent and the overly exaggerated proportions are visible. But that's just scraping at the very few problems with D3, I think the game will be great, I just hope there are some areas that are a little more bloody and gritty. I mean, it is called Diablo. Haha.

If you haven't seen the "graphical suggestions" from a while ago, by those crazy Diablo fans than here they are:

Some of the pics are a little odd... but I can see what they are getting at. I dunno, I just want to see MORE D3 GOODNESS *drools*!
(still think Blizzard should be sued for releasing footage so friggen early... it's criminal making us wait this long.)

Wow. You're actually bringing that tired old shit up? The producer already took you to task about this crap, and made everyone look like damned fools. And since he actually knows shit, I'll take his word over a bunch of idiots in their basements.

Diablo 2 wasn't gritty at all compared to the first one. You had funky ugly catwomen running around int he desert, and stupid big bugs to fight. You had big headed tiki men with knives and mosquitoes. There's clearly some tongue-in-cheek humor going on with Diablo. How in the hell did you people miss that, despite all the hours of grinding in the game you're doing?

All the fans crying like babies over it already know they are going to buy it regardless, which makes me feel good.

I'm really sorry it's such a stigma these days that any color outside of brown/black/gray/green is somehow hurting your enjoyment of the game. But I'm also really sorry people are that goddamn stupid.

The art direction looks excellent, and you'd better learn to deal with it now. A bunch of fans dropping it into Photoshop and cranking down the brightness doesn't make them look like they know anything. It makes them look STUPID.

It's Diablo. It's about gameplay. It's about grinding and killing shit and getting badass weaponry. It's NOT about you having an aversion to the color blue or purple. And that attitude is the kind that's far more damaging to the industry that a few palette choices could EVER be. You and the 34 other people with issues can cram it with walnuts - I'll happily play D3 and laugh at you with all the fun I'll be having.

[quote name='Strell']Wow. You're actually bringing that tired old shit up? The producer already took you to task about this crap, and made everyone look like damned fools. And since he actually knows shit, I'll take his word over a bunch of idiots in their basements.

Diablo 2 wasn't gritty at all compared to the first one. You had funky ugly catwomen running around int he desert, and stupid big bugs to fight. You had big headed tiki men with knives and mosquitoes. There's clearly some tongue-in-cheek humor going on with Diablo. How in the hell did you people miss that, despite all the hours of grinding in the game you're doing?

All the fans crying like babies over it already know they are going to buy it regardless, which makes me feel good.

I'm really sorry it's such a stigma these days that any color outside of brown/black/gray/green is somehow hurting your enjoyment of the game. But I'm also really sorry people are that goddamn stupid.

The art direction looks excellent, and you'd better learn to deal with it now. A bunch of fans dropping it into Photoshop and cranking down the brightness doesn't make them look like they know anything. It makes them look STUPID.

It's Diablo. It's about gameplay. It's about grinding and killing shit and getting badass weaponry. It's NOT about you having an aversion to the color blue or purple. And that attitude is the kind that's far more damaging to the industry that a few palette choices could EVER be. You and the 34 other people with issues can cram it with walnuts - I'll happily play D3 and laugh at you with all the fun I'll be having.[/quote]

Hmmm, whatever. I feel Diablo 3 looks great, just some of the areas have me questioning their art style decisions. But, it's not like Blizzard has a bad track record so I definitely trust their vision, it's still very early as well.

Playing D2, I can't help but feel the game as "gritty" and "dark". It could just be due to the inferior tech back in the day that they weren't able to achieve a more "light-hearted" and "cartoony" look to it, but now I'm hooked on it!

No need to say who you think has a better understanding of what "looks good", it's just preference.

I was just never really fond of the WoW visual style. Oh well, back to D2.

[quote name='Strell']Wow. You're actually bringing that tired old shit up? The producer already took you to task about this crap, and made everyone look like damned fools. And since he actually knows shit, I'll take his word over a bunch of idiots in their basements.

It's Diablo. It's about gameplay. It's about grinding and killing shit and getting badass weaponry. It's NOT about you having an aversion to the color blue or purple. And that attitude is the kind that's far more damaging to the industry that a few palette choices could EVER be. You and the 34 other people with issues can cram it with walnuts - I'll happily play D3 and laugh at you with all the fun I'll be having.[/quote]

...This :applause:

[quote name='crystalklear64']i was going to ask, do all these mods and such that you play let you do so online, say on open battle.net or something? anything other than tcp/ip[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure you can host a bnet game but only others with the mod will be able to join without crashing. I am not sure though. If nothing else TCP/IP definitely works. And some mods still have private servers I believe.

I'm not complaining, but there is no denying the "WoW heavy" art direction.

I do fucking hate blizzard though... Why the hell did they announce SC2 and D3 2+ years in advance? :bomb:

Ya... I'm still going to have to say it's a little too much.

I don't mind a bunch of colors bursting out of every orifice when I am in a pretty valley or forest. But when you're in a dungeon, I don't think it is necessary to have everything colorful. But it's not just the colors either, it's the textures. It has that no define detail, big texture cartoonish look (exactly like WoWs) Diablo is meant to be a dark mature game... it's called diablo

Looks like this:
http://twoskies.net/images/screens/Scarlet%20Monastery%20Armory%20Statues%202.jpg

Soon, all game castles willl look like this:
cinderella-castle.gif

[quote name='Kayden']Who says it won't? The game is going to have several locations with greatly varying designs.[/quote]

It will, that is a pic from D3. Heh, looks good.

The whole color controversy is just so funny and stupid. I think the guys at gamerswithjobs put it best when they said people need to shut the fuck up and realize that the colors arnt that important that the main componet of Diablo is not the Atmosphere but instead having an ending supply of mobs to click on till they pop like some overstuffed pinata spraying loot everywhere.

Edit - Still playing the mod btw. Having taken a Sorceress through nightmare difficulty and a few other characters through normal I have to again give props to Immersion which has been a great mod.

On totally unrelated note, Blizzcon 2009 is set for late August, so I'll go out on a limb and suggest that we can expect the next major D3 update then.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']On totally unrelated note, Blizzcon 2009 is set for late August, so I'll go out on a limb and suggest that we can expect the next major D3 update then.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully we can expect a release date. I know that Blizz takes a long time with their games but I am staying out on the limb I went out on when it was announced and stay saying something tells me we see this game released around Halloween THIS year.

Not a chance. We might see SC2 this year, but it's been said many times that SC2 will be out long before Diablo 3 and we still don't have a release date for SC2.

bread's done
Back