Diablo III / Diablo II Battle.net Thread

[quote name='BigPopov']New barb at 60, tried act 2 is obviously way out of my league. Any small summary of what I should be farming?

If you want to addme hit BigPopov#1675 up. Have up to act 2 unlocked.[/QUOTE]

I usually do the halls of agony ---> warden ----> butcher. Just make sure you kill them both with 5 stacks of nv.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']I usually do the halls of agony ---> warden ----> butcher. Just make sure you kill them both with 5 stacks of nv.[/QUOTE]

I do similar, but I first waypoint to the cemetary and clear the crypts so that I have an easy 5 stack before taking on the bigger badder rares.

[quote name='Fearia']I do similar, but I first waypoint to the cemetary and clear the crypts so that I have an easy 5 stack before taking on the bigger badder rares.[/QUOTE]

When I used to run it, I just started the quest at the end of Leoric's Mansion and ran from there. I had 5x NV by the time I got to the Jailor.

Halls of Agony 1 -> 1-2 NV
Halls of Agony 2 -> 2-3 NV
Jails -> 2-3 NV
Kill Jailor
Halls of Agony 3 -> Run straight to logical areas where exit is likely to be.
Kill Butcher

[quote name='Draekon']When I used to run it, I just started the quest at the end of Leoric's Mansion and ran from there. I had 5x NV by the time I got to the Jailor.

Halls of Agony 1 -> 1-2 NV
Halls of Agony 2 -> 2-3 NV
Jails -> 2-3 NV
Kill Jailor
Halls of Agony 3 -> Run straight to logical areas where exit is likely to be.
Kill Butcher[/QUOTE]

I usually cut out Halls 1 and instead took the waypoint to Norther Highlands and cleared out the Watch Tower (which spawns most of the time, and always on the western edge). There are usually at least 2 or 3 champ packs in there, as well as a Resplendent Chest.

I run back into the mansion, there's usually 1 champ pack in there or even out in the front...sometimes 2 or even 3. Then run back through the manion and do what everyone else is. So by the time I reach the jailer I have 5 stacks.

Anyone else use Fields of Slaughter for EXP farming? Seems like a good place with the large number of enemies that spawn right from the bridge checkpoint.

[quote name='bvharris']I usually cut out Halls 1 and instead took the waypoint to Norther Highlands and cleared out the Watch Tower (which spawns most of the time, and always on the western edge). There are usually at least 2 or 3 champ packs in there, as well as a Resplendent Chest.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had thought about that in the past but never really gave it a shot. By the time it was brought up in this thread originally, I was already in Act 3 so I didn't bother. I know the tower of which you speak of though. It's not terribly Wizard friendly if the affixes go down the shitter from what I remember.

So is it a good idea to dump my IAS gear pre 1.03? My build is pretty IAS heavy (gloves, ammy, 2 rings) so probably not going to like this change too much. Only the gloves and maybe 1 ring are worth any coin to worry about though.

Honestly even with the nerf, I'm not sure if there's anything that would be any more useful post-nerf to replace it with. Obviously I don't know what's going to happen to it specifically in the patch, so I can't say with any certainty.

This is one of my biggest problems spending major money on any item as the game is still in flux and items can change dramatically.

Only thing I would think is to get more INT and maybe crit dmg %/dmg to replace it.

Maybe an "Increase Pulse Orb by 10%" item. I bought a 400 gold one of those last night to test it out. Doesn't show up as an increase in dmg if you equip with shock - so either its broken or doesnt affect it there. Didn't try actually attacking any enemies so that might be a way to notice number difference.
On same note, I wish there was a similar perk for Hydra. There is a "reduce hydra cost", but that doesn't help me at all.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Do sets drop off the butcher as well does anyone know?

And whats the ETA on the next patch?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure set items can drop off anything. I got Natalyas Redemption (shitty set bow) off a random white mob in Act One of Inferno.

[quote name='SEH']Pretty sure set items can drop off anything. I got Natalyas Redemption (shitty set bow) off a random white mob in Act One of Inferno.[/QUOTE]

my blackthorne dropped early Act 1, and Messerschmidt's Reaver from a broken log. it's totally random.

[quote name='sasukekun']How much MF gear you are usually running?[/QUOTE]

Not much really. 23% helm from topaz and a couple things on my follower that bring it to like 30% :)
I had at least some valor going for most of my finds, i think.

Which class do you think is a good partner to team up with Witch Doctor? My GF is getting the game today and she is going to be playing Witch Doctor. I will be starting a new character to level with her.

I am thinking Barb because of the melee/range combo (already have a monk) but open to other suggestions.

Barb would work well as you'd be able to tank while she does all the deeps. Any other class and its just going to be a kite fest.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Looks like 1.0.3 drops tomorrow, so if there's any progression you wanna make pre-nerf, tonight's the night to push.[/QUOTE]

Also, probably best to plan not playing most of the day tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SEH']Pretty sure set items can drop off anything. I got Natalyas Redemption (shitty set bow) off a random white mob in Act One of Inferno.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I've gotten over 5+ uniques and not a set item yet. Granted most of the uniques were garbage to.

I don't think IAS is gonna change much, people will just go for the next powerful stat. Really, really sucks for those that spent a lot of money on getting good IAS gear but that's about it.

I checked the patch pre-notes and didn't see anything on better drops or easier times in act 2 and beyond.

I found the Dark Tower to be a good easy run if people aren't able to do butcher runs, and usually 3-4 uniques/blues and a nice big chest to loot in such a short time.

Nevermind Bashiok posted and reminded people of the IAS nerf and linked to the design preview, so I'm assuming this all goes into effect tomorrow. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6262208/Patch_103_Design_Preview-6_6_2012#blog

Damn and looks like tonight will be the only night I will be able to play. I guess with the patch coming I wont be play or playing much. Unless the servers don't go down.

Well, HC Inferno Diablo was taken down this morning. Not sure if it's really the first as supposedly it was done the first time 6/6 and just not publicized. Regardless, damn.

[quote name='Draekon']Well, HC Inferno Diablo was taken down this morning. Not sure if it's really the first as supposedly it was done the first time 6/6 and just not publicized. Regardless, damn.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I watched Kripp's stream as it happened. Close call when he got frozen and knocked into the cage.

The first thing that jumped out was that MF no longer counts towards objects, including chests.

And ouch, they nerfed Nether Tentacles hard. I'd imagine that will about balance out the general Inferno nerf for Demon Hunters who use it.

Yeah, I'm not a Demon Hunter and saw the nether tentacles nerf and my immediate reaction was more or less "Holy shit that's probably going to suck hard." How many times does it hit a mob in a single pass anyways? Not counting Missile Dampening enemies.

They really need to make all Wizard skills to be able to crit too and benefit from the +% Crit Damage affix.

[quote name='Draekon']Yeah, I'm not a Demon Hunter and saw the nether tentacles nerf and my immediate reaction was more or less "Holy shit that's probably going to suck hard." How many times does it hit a mob in a single pass anyways? Not counting Missile Dampening enemies.
[/QUOTE]

Depends on the size of the enemy's hitbox. Smaller enemies it only hit once anyway, but larger enemies it could hit 2-3 times. That made it a great kiting skill for champion packs, since you could get them lined up chasing you and fire off a few rounds of NT which would hit all of them multiple times.

I have no idea how Inferno Belial will be beatable for a solo DH now, since NT was the best way to beat his final form.

I've actually been using Impale instead of NT while farming goblins, so I might make the switch permanent. With the nerf to attack speed I'll probably need to switch from at attack speed build to one more focused on crits anyway.

[quote name='Draekon']
They really need to make all Wizard skills to be able to crit too and benefit from the +% Crit Damage affix.[/QUOTE]

Bug Fixes
-Damage Over Time (DoT) skills will now properly benefit from items with the +Critical Chance affix

[quote name='wckddudeman']Bug Fixes
-Damage Over Time (DoT) skills will now properly benefit from items with the +Critical Chance affix[/QUOTE]

That's entirely different than what I was talking about actually. Disintigrate cannot critical what so ever and Ray of Frost has issues too, but I can't remember specifically what so I'll refrain from commenting on specifics that I can't remember.

Though that should help with any AoE skills such as Blizzard (I think the only skill effected by that I believe?), which is only part of the issue.

I meant the only Wizard skill effected by it.

As for those posts, it's possible they hotfixed it sometime after I stopped using it. Numbers were too consistent for it to 'crit' in the background back when I used it.

Wow so many changes. Jailers runs will be a bit tougher now with those buffs, but if they didn't fix his HP he will still go down pretty fast.

Good loot in Act 1 at last! I am just waiting to see if my Monk can actually kill enemies and survive in Act 3 and 4 of Inferno.

Interesting thing of note is the boss buffs in general (especially in Inferno).

Also destroying all objects outside of XP bonus doesn't seem to help at all now considering only gold will drop rarely.

Belial will now enrage in Inferno difficulty after 3 minutes in his final phase, increasing the number of green pools dropped across the entire encounter platform

Belial Phase 3 Green Pools can get pretty crazy as he gets lower in health on Inferno difficulty, so I can see some people having trouble with it on occasion. Honestly it won't change much for a Wizard so long as they use Poison Hydra.

With the changes to repair cost(and Im already pushing 9-10k) I am going to do safer runs till my gear is better rather than trying to do act3 farming.

I love the boss changes with the exception of siegebreaker... I HATE reflect damage, single worst affix for wizards.

[quote name='wckddudeman']With the changes to repair cost(and Im already pushing 9-10k) I am going to do safer runs till my gear is better rather than trying to do act3 farming.

I love the boss changes with the exception of siegebreaker... I HATE reflect damage, single worst affix for wizards.[/QUOTE]

With the quote from back when they announced it looking at 5-10x the increased repair cost, I can't believe that repairs may be looking at upwards of 100k. That's fucking ridiculous and unacceptable if it actually goes that high. However, I do like that a rare is guaranteed to drop from Champ/Rare packs if you're at 5x NV. That'll be nice for when a friend wants to do a full act run.

Siegebreaker I rarely use anything outside of Poison Hydra so it *shouldn't* hurt me much. Would need to test obviously.

Seems to me that butcher runs will be the most valuable use of time if the drop rate of rares was left alone. Act one for w/e reason drops so many rares, even with 0 MF, it's boggling. I wonder if ponies was buffed in this patch because right now you can clear the whole thing and get very few rares, and sometimes under 61 level.

I think the chest nerf with MF is to cover up the fact that they failed to innovate on a 10 year old mechanic that realistically shouldn't even exist. The fact that we 'suit up' before a kill or opening chests is counter-intuitive and I'm sure someday down the road they'll address this. For now, butcher shall feel the wrath of my 342% MF gear.

[quote name='Jodou']Seems to me that butcher runs will be the most valuable use of time if the drop rate of rares was left alone. Act one for w/e reason drops so many rares, even with 0 MF, it's boggling. I wonder if ponies was buffed in this patch because right now you can clear the whole thing and get very few rares, and sometimes under 61 level.

I think the chest nerf with MF is to cover up the fact that they failed to innovate on a 10 year old mechanic that realistically shouldn't even exist. The fact that we 'suit up' before a kill or opening chests is counter-intuitive and I'm sure someday down the road they'll address this. For now, butcher shall feel the wrath of my 342% MF gear.[/QUOTE]

Is there a specific method to killing bosses with MF gear? I've seen various people say you can switch to your MF gear whenever, and I've seen others say you have to switch before the boss hits 10% life. Seems like there's no definitive answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "diablo 3 design" authenticator still out of stock! sucks! i refuse to buy the other designs available. hehe!

[quote name='CAGkrazy']The "diablo 3 design" authenticator still out of stock! sucks! i refuse to buy the other designs available. hehe![/QUOTE]

why not get what's in stock and just put a sticker over it?

i personally don't like the artwork much on any of them enough to warrant choosing. i'll likely overlay a flat color then put a pokemon sticker or transformer emblem on it.

[quote name='100xp']why not get what's in stock and just put a sticker over it?

i personally don't like the artwork much on any of them enough to warrant choosing. i'll likely overlay a flat color then put a pokemon sticker or transformer emblem on it.[/QUOTE]

Guess im just picky with stuff. Hehe! I never played the other games (SC and WOW) and the diablo 3 design is going to be my first physical authenticator so i wanted it over the others available.

[quote name='SEH']Is there a specific method to killing bosses with MF gear? I've seen various people say you can switch to your MF gear whenever, and I've seen others say you have to switch before the boss hits 10% life. Seems like there's no definitive answer.[/QUOTE]

and by switching you mean hitting i and right clicking all the equipment super fast before getting killed?

[quote name='Pookymeister']and by switching you mean hitting i and right clicking all the equipment super fast before getting killed?[/QUOTE]

Yup.

I'd like to say right now, if they're going to make me pay 40k to repair my fucking gear, they need to remove your gear degrading from enemy attacks. I feel like I'm getting double fucked as a Barb because I naturally take damage, hell, my revenge relies on me getting attacked, so my gear constantly degrades without me even dying.

Doing Jailer/Butcher runs, not having died once, I've already had to repair gear twice. This is fucking bullshit.

happy they lowered the cost an dmat cost of smithing, so i decided to roll the dice and made a pair of lvl 61 shoulder plates. decent str/dex/resist all...and the 4th random? why...ignore durability loss. I honestly can't complain about that.

Indestructable might be the new thing for a bit.

[quote name='SEH']Yup.

I'd like to say right now, if they're going to make me pay 40k to repair my fucking gear, they need to remove your gear degrading from enemy attacks. I feel like I'm getting double fucked as a Barb because I naturally take damage, hell, my revenge relies on me getting attacked, so my gear constantly degrades without me even dying.

Doing Jailer/Butcher runs, not having died once, I've already had to repair gear twice. This is fucking bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Gear also degrades when you attack. I've had stuff break on me/show up as damaged while I wasn't being hit at all.

[quote name='Draekon']Gear also degrades when you attack. I've had stuff break on me/show up as damaged while I wasn't being hit at all.[/QUOTE]

this is true, playing a WD just casting spells degrades your wpn...and if you have a high IAS. yeah.

[quote name='Draekon']Well, HC Inferno Diablo was taken down this morning. Not sure if it's really the first as supposedly it was done the first time 6/6 and just not publicized. Regardless, damn.[/QUOTE]

Bashiok amended his statement and said that this was the first HC Inferno Diablo kill. Congrats to both of them.

https://twitter.com/Bashiok/statuses/215136718981046274

Changes are interesting. Maybe I can actually make another Staff of Herding without expecting the game to eat it again. Increased repair costs and increased item quality drops in earlier acts means it's back to facerolling act 1/2. I wonder how hard magic find gear will be devalued on the AH, as I'm certainly dumping mine now that there's almost no reason to waste inventory space on it. As far as I can see, goblin farming was not included on the list of farming nerfs, so MF gear still works there. Lowered inferno difficulty might make inferno fun. Or not. Haven't tried yet.

I'm not sure if the changes are overall good or bad, but they're certainly some steps in the right direction.

bread's done
Back