Diablo III / Diablo II Battle.net Thread

Is there a difference between the guest pass and the starter edition?

I wanted to try and see how well it ran on my older laptop so I just downloaded the client and started playing. Unless I'm special because I had beta access, shouldn't anyone just be able to DL the client and play the start of the game?

P.S. if anyone missed out on the weekly "exclusive sigil" thing that was going on at the launch website, they have all been unlocked again through Friday. So you can go in and redeem ones you may have missed, or if you didn't do them at all, here's a chance to redeem all 5. You don't have to bother with making a custom sigil just click through the customization part, I believe the exclusive sigil you get is the one shown by default, not the custom one you create.

Been running around with 80% MF on my level 21 Barb and cant find a fucking Legendary for the life of me. I know they're rare, but come the fuck on. Two total oranges between one friend and I in over like 40 hours of combined playtime seems a little ridiculous. I've got a friend almost to the end of Hell and he still hasn't seen a Legendary.

Well, I wanted to get a quick hour in before work but... SERVERS ARE DOWN!!

I'm new to PC gaming so I didn't really understand everyone's hate toward DRM (GFWL and such) but this is pretty annoying. Playing by myself and the game is either laggy (wtf?) or the servers are down. Wish there was an offline option where it closed off the auction house and multiplayer in trade for been able to play your game whenever you want.

[quote name='SEH']Been running around with 80% MF on my level 21 Barb and cant find a fucking Legendary for the life of me. I know they're rare, but come the fuck on. Two total oranges between one friend and I in over like 40 hours of combined playtime seems a little ridiculous. I've got a friend almost to the end of Hell and he still hasn't seen a Legendary.[/QUOTE]

I actually like that they're so rare. I've played up to Level 36 solo (now in act one of Nightmare) and have only had one drop. It made the experience of seeing the orange name on the ground even better, even though it was an axe I couldn't even use.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Well, I wanted to get a quick hour in before work but... SERVERS ARE DOWN!!

I'm new to PC gaming so I didn't really understand everyone's hate toward DRM (GFWL and such) but this is pretty annoying. Playing by myself and the game is either laggy (wtf?) or the servers are down. Wish there was an offline option where it closed off the auction house and multiplayer in trade for been able to play your game whenever you want.[/QUOTE]

I rarely get some rubberband lag for a couple seconds and then it clears up. Otherwise I don't lag much. Put in a fair amount of time yesterday too, so I don't know much on how it is after 9PM Central. As for their scheduled downtime this morning that they put up last night, it doesn't bother me too much. It'll become more routine down the road at specific times when the server presence is low.

[quote name='bvharris']I actually like that they're so rare. I've played up to Level 36 solo (now in act one of Nightmare) and have only had one drop. It made the experience of seeing the orange name on the ground even better, even though it was an axe I couldn't even use.[/QUOTE]

I pretty much agree. Legendary items should stay very rare for the very reason that it gives you something to work towards. I'm farther than you and I've never seen one, either have any of my friends.

One thing I'm not fond of in terms of loot is that there seem to be fewer lower-level armor sets than there were in Diablo II. It would have been nice if they'd thrown in some crappy little 3-piece sets just to get people hooked on the concept. I guess it's possible there's a few, I haven't perused all the items yet.

[quote name='jmbreci']I can understand why they did it at the beginning, but it is rough with only 14 slots and only 10 auctions being allowed. At least your gold is "pooled" between your characters - at least least that is how it seems to me.

10k for an additional 14 slots is a lot at the beginning - especially since that will really only get you 7 items.

That's my only complaints thus far and it is minor.....back to the abyss......[/QUOTE]

if you think with the horder mentality it is costly...but the use for gold is much less than it was in D2. Equipment eventually seems to come much easier and the difference between one item and the next is 1% or +1 or +2. So 14 slots is adequet. Equipment size is now limited to 1 or 2 slots, all quest items are placed in some portable hole, so that said we have a lot more space than we once did with the option to purchase even more.

back to the abyss...there's treasure to be unearthed.

bvharris#1684 is mine.

Hit me up especially if you're already on Nightmare, as soloing it as a DH is proving a good deal tougher than Normal (obviously). I actually haven't had any real trouble with the major bosses in Act I, the thing that proves really tough is the groups of three blue-named elites. Although I've had a somewhat easier time of it since working Vault and Caltrops back into my arsenal (they were no longer really necessary towards the end of Normal).

[quote name='navalg1337']Anyone else playing as a monk? Is it just me or are they kind of overpowered? How are the other classes?[/QUOTE]

a bunch of my friends are all playing different classes including myself, and we all feel our class is OP. So, no...on normal every class is just seems strong if you have a good synery of skills and not running around nekkid.

I thought the WD was a bit weak until I started unlocking runes and getting some better equipment.

Here's my BattleTag: AceFan84#1409

I am kind of busy with work right now so I only have a lvl 13 WD but I will keep plugging away haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='100xp']a bunch of my friends are all playing different classes including myself, and we all feel our class is OP. So, no...on normal every class is just seems strong if you have a good synery of skills and not running around nekkid.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah.. For most of Normal I was like "I AM IRON MAN."

And then comes Nightmare, and it's like "Oh shit, skeletons!"

OK, what is a sigil? (in terms of the game) Do they give any bonuses or are they purely aesthetic?

EDIT: also what is my nickname? I have a battlenet account already, but what does the nickname look like. is it the "battle tag"?

[quote name='slowdive21']

EDIT: also what is my nickname? I have a battlenet account already, but what does the nickname look like. is it the "battle tag"?[/QUOTE]

If you log into Battle.net and look at the summary page you'll see your Battletag listed on the left side about midway in the page. If you log into Diablo 3 and click the profile bottom (bottom right, looks like a helm) you can also see it.

Hopefully I did the sigil thing correctly. I used my gamertag from battlenet for my 'nickname and my email registered with battlenet. I don't have the game installed or anything, so hopefully it will work when I get my cd key today (amazon restock CE should arrive today :bouncy:).

Yeah, from last night and this morning I'm already sick of the downtime in my SP game. I just want to solo normal so I can get to the real game on harder difficulties with friends. I couldn't care less about hackers and dupes because they never bothered me in D2. As if it would even impact a game like this with no subscription model (hint: it didn't for D2). No, this is more about Blizzard's crusade to crush cheaters and profit from the RMT AH.

This game is fun, but I'm already starting to get bored with the design. Progression feels slow and the lack of initial skills (only 17) just winds up being an exercise in repetition. The boss fights are the only breath of fresh air, but are generally a 'dodge this move' battle so far. I just started Act II and clearing those mosquitoes are just not fun; like 'Castlevania medusa head annoying' not fun. What I do like is smashing things in the face with my barb though. But after a few hours, that novelty wears off. :\

I really hope I can last in this game to inferno, because I imagine that's when the real fun starts.

Pretty sure MF is broken or something. I was at 97% and wasn't finding shit. I get the exact same drops if I only have like 8%. Seems like a pointless stat as of right now. Also, yes, I was solo'ing, so I didn't have other people with lower MF bringing my percentage down.

I'm curious what have people's latencies been like? I was fooling around with the demo on my old laptop and while the performance was slow, I also noticed the latency being pretty high. However I cannot tell if this is because of the crappy laptop not able to render the graphics and deal with the network transfer simultaneously or the crappy server due to heavy launch traffic.

My latencies were averaging around 300 ms, whereas I feel I have a pretty good internet connection (no problems in other games), and no such trouble when I was playing the beta on my main rig.

i think im around 132-152, whatever it is the bars are 99% green and full. It was yellow once but I think it's because my cpu was running it's normal data base update. it's been pretty good so far.

80-120 when I'm solo'ing. When I'm with a full group, 300-350. Pretty bad, but honestly, their netcode seems really good because despite the high ping, its totally playable. It is odd though as I get 80-120 all the time on the Euro servers, so there are definitely some issues with the US ones.

[quote name='panzerfaust']This game is starting to feel a bit like WoW in that it doesn't really start until level 60. That's where all the loot is.[/QUOTE]

feel a bit? it is WoW, just in the Diablo format...look at the leveling system and standardization of your stats, the way equipment looks, the auction house, etc. dont get me wrong, im enjoying the crap out of D3...i don't think it has anything to do with the game reallying starting at lvl 60 for where the loot is. The loot is there and currently there aren't any raid instances or quests.

[quote name='panzerfaust']This game is starting to feel a bit like WoW in that it doesn't really start until level 60. That's where all the loot is.[/QUOTE]

I guess it really depends what you define as "all the loot". Obviously the top level stuff is reserved for that level, but I've gotten plenty of level-appropriate yellows and a few really good blues as well. If my character was already insanely tricked out after 15 or 16 hours, the game would be doing something wrong.

As I said before though, I do wish there were more low-level item sets, as those were always my favorite things to collect in D2.

considering we play on blizzards server, all the time...im sure they can dynamically add things like that. They'll probably also hold events and reward ppl with unlocks. I'm sure once PvP is implemented, they'll have tournaments and rewards for them.

i'm just glad im not forced to play in a public server with immature randoms ruining my game. hahaha.

the last thing i want to do in D3 is get too powerful too fast without deserving it.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of you. It's a means to an end and I felt that way the first time I replaced a rare. It's all junk until you level cap. It's part of why progression feels so slow to me, because each time I get a piece of a loot it's just filler until the next. I want to min/max, but right now the top end is a moving target.

Also, my ping has always been 300+. I get warping every once and a while, but I have died a lag death once so far (in fact it was my only death on normal so far). I couldn't imagine trying to play this on hardcore; fuck off Blizzard with your shit lag.

I got my first Legenday item today in Act 1 of my very first play thru....in a barrel right before the final boss in Act 1. To say that surprised the hell outta me would be an understatement. It's a Monk fist weapon, I don't have a Monk char. right now so I'm trying to decide if I want to sell it or not. I already have a Rare sword up on the AH but it hasn't sold yet.

[quote name='cgarb84']I got my first Legenday item today in Act 1 of my very first play thru....in a barrel right before the final boss in Act 1. To say that surprised the hell outta me would be an understatement. It's a Monk fist weapon, I don't have a Monk char. right now so I'm trying to decide if I want to sell it or not. I already have a Rare sword up on the AH but it hasn't sold yet.[/QUOTE]

Must be about one in ten million or something for that to drop from a barrel in Normal.

I got one Legendary throughout my entire Normal playthrough, which I also couldn't use.

Anyone have a spare Guest Pass? I'm thinking of picking up the game, but I'm not sure if my lame PC will handle it? I want to boot up the demo to see if it'll work.

Thanks!

[quote name='bvharris']I got one Legendary throughout my entire Normal playthrough, which I also couldn't use.[/QUOTE]
This is my biggest fear, that the first legendary will be something I can't use because out of the 10 or so rares I've found so far I could only use one. Also, I'm hoping I don't get any until much later in the game so I can actually appreciate it. Otherwise, I could just see getting one on normal and replacing it with a blue in nightmare or hell.

Same boat as above, anyone have a spare Guest Pass?

Also want to try the game but can't justify the price until I've played it some.
thanks.

[quote name='Jodou']This is my biggest fear, that the first legendary will be something I can't use because out of the 10 or so rares I've found so far I could only use one. Also, I'm hoping I don't get any until much later in the game so I can actually appreciate it. Otherwise, I could just see getting one on normal and replacing it with a blue in nightmare or hell.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm hoping they drop frequently enough at the higher difficulties that getting one won't be as big a deal as finding that first one was.

I don't really expect every drop to be a perfect match for my character, that would remove a lot of the thrill in finding the next best thing.

I can definitely attest that the nightmare blues are better than the normal rares though. I got a blue amulet from a normal Act 1 enemy which is like +85 dex, +60 vit or something insane.

[quote name='gfshurts']Anyone have a spare Guest Pass? I'm thinking of picking up the game, but I'm not sure if my lame PC will handle it? I want to boot up the demo to see if it'll work.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

just downloading the installer will tell you if it'll run on your pc or not.

Sorry to beg but if anyone has a guest pass I would like to try it as well.

Played Diablo 1 way back but quit gaming when 2 came out - its' been a long time and I don't know if I'd like it or not.

Thank you.

Why must I be anal-retentive and want to find everything on the first play through? While I am not, I am finding a lot, which is slowing down my progress....only lv 15 with my Monk....though I do have every other class except Wizard to lv 5....Barbarian was the quickest.....though I am loving the Monk now.....tank with DPS. :)

Need to get some MP this weekend....

[quote name='Pookymeister']getting a lot of network disconnect messages tonight, boo[/QUOTE]

Tonight was flawless for me. Played proabably 6 hours this evening and never got disconnected.

For those who weren't sure, the 100k for the next tab in your stash is only for the first 14 slots. It's still 10k for the next 14. I guess I was asking for too much to expect the full page for 100k. The Auction House is also great for finding bargains or to sell your shinier drops. Also, enable elective mode in the gameplay options. It lets you take more than one power in each group by replacing a power from another group. For example, on my wizard I'm using metero, blizzard and hydra but don't have a power from the mastery or secondary group.

[quote name='Sway']Also, enable elective mode in the gameplay options. It lets you take more than one power in each group by replacing a power from another group. For example, on my wizard I'm using metero, blizzard and hydra but don't have a power from the mastery or secondary group.[/QUOTE]

This is a great tip, and something I was unaware of. Thanks!

bread's done
Back