Diamond; Pearl; Platinum 1-B (General Discussion; Strategies, Metagame, etc.)

[quote name='gigan54']yeah double battles. aero ko'd a team in the first turn and then my mewtwo and aero beat down on his remaining pokemon. i think it was a mew and a luxray. i'm playing the gaem so far and the only redeeming thing about it IMO is the better, and more reliable, at least for me, wifi battles. but hey, for a free game, I really shoudn't be complaining

edut:

jolly aerodactyls w/ choice band
rock head ability

earthquake
rockslide
double-edge
aerial ace

it's attack stat is 302 and it's speed is 386. EV training really pays off[/quote]want to sell it for $20?

lol,my ditto is a whore.He's had sex with at least once with every pokemon I have except Charizard.fucken Charizard won't give it up :(

[quote name='snakelda']lol,my ditto is a whore.He's had sex with at least once with every pokemon I have except Charizard.fucken Charizard won't give it up :([/quote]

Same here, my Ditto is just a dirty, filthy sex slave. :lol:

[quote name='hootie']Same here, my Ditto is just a dirty, filthy sex slave. :lol:[/quote]QFT, lawl.

Actually, my friend's two dittos won't give it up to each other. Morals, perhaps?

[quote name='frankenstine']where is the daycare center in pearl/diamond, i need to breed psyducks to get the right nature but i cant find the daycare[/quote]

Solaceon Town.

Well, since my Rain Dance team was a success (in the sense that it doesn't completely suck), I'm trying to put together a Sunny Day team, because I have nothing to do at the moment. Only problem is, I can't seem to find the right balance of fire/grass/misc types (which may be a sign). So far, I've got Arcanine, Sceptile, Houndoom, Roserade, Cradily, and Charizard for the lineup, but it definetely seems like it's awaiting failure. Any advice, other than scrapping it?

Shiftry, Eggxecutor, and Jumpluff are pretty decent. All of them get Chlorophyll as an ability which doubles their speed in the sun. Shiftry gets Fake Out and Explosion, which are both pretty useful in double battles.

Bump, indeed.

Finally have skeletons for my next two teams, Sandstorm and Sunny Day. So far, the members look like this...

Sunny Day
Charizard, Cherrim, Arcanine, Roserade, Salamence, and Machamp.

Sandstorm
Lucario, Tyranitar, Aerodactyl, Forretress, Metagross, and Garchomp.

Still making movesets for each of them, but I'm pretty satisfied with the team layouts.

random question but Does the rival in D/P have an original name. (like Dawn/Lucas) I don't want to name him I just want to put the regular name.

So I own copies of Pearl (about to get the 7th badge), Sapphire (I think I quit somewhere in the middle of that one), and Blue from way back (haven't checked to see if the battery's still kicking and my pokes are intact on that one).

I saw a new copies of Emerald, Leaf Green, and Fire Red in a bargain bin at a nearby store. Is it worth picking these up if my long term goal is completing (to the best of my ability) the National Dex (I'm not terribly interested in competing, however)? Or can most (all except starters?) be caught in Pearl/Diamond without an inserted cart once the National Dex is unlocked? I doubt I'd actually play through E, LG, or FR (or my copy of Sapphire), and am really only asking as to their usefulness for insertion while playing Pearl. Although I might give it a shot if you guys say it's worth it.

[quote name='Tybee']Is it worth picking these up if my long term goal is completing (to the best of my ability) the National Dex (I'm not terribly interested in competing, however)?[/quote]
http://serebii.net/diamondpearl/gbapokemon.shtml

If your only desire is to complete the pokedex, this is what you gain from slotting the GBA games. If you're really not interested in competing, then it's probably not worth it. (Well, it may be depending on how cheap these games are). You could just ask around on different forums and get all your missing guys through friend code trades.

You can conceiveably farm the old pre-50 tms through multiple versions of the GBA games, but I'd imagine that would be more of a hassle than it'd be worth

Beat the Elite 4 and Cynthia (or whatever her name is) on Saturday. A little difficult, but nowhere near as hard as I was expecting (though I did use the guide to prepare).

What WAS hard as Hell was catching Mespirit. I caught Dialga with a Net Ball with very little difficulty and was able to save my Master Ball. Azelf went down easy with a Dusk Ball. Uxie was considerably tougher and took a couple hours. I figured out you could not catch him unless you put him to sleep. I got him down to a sliver of health and did that and eventually got him after throwing a string of Ultra Balls.

But Mespirit....my God. That was a nightmare. I figured out pretty quickly that you could get him where you want him simply by walking in and out of a town until he located in the field next to you. And I had a Golbat at level 47 that knew Mean Look, so I was able to keep him from running every time without fail. I also got him down to a sliver of health with little difficulty. But HE WOULD NOT GO DOWN. I'd start with a couple of Quick Balls, throw 20 Ultra Balls, some Luxury Balls, try a couple others. But I was not going to use my Master Ball. It became a fight of principle. Finally, I figured my chances would be improved if I waited until night and tried Dusk Balls. And that's what eventually got him, even though it took many, many, many, many tries last night. I thought I was dreaming when that 3rd shake and click came. Saved and passed out.

Already unlocked the National Dex. Looking forward to this whole new portion of the game and hunting more legendary and/or older pokes. Debating whether or not I want to go back and complete my half finished copy of Sapphire, or play through Emerald or what to get the pokes that would yield.

Hmmm...Anybody have a Mightenya or Kecleon they don't need? I want a poke that knows Thief so I can do the Ditto item trick and I'd rather not use my TM if I don't have to.

[quote name='Tybee']Beat the Elite 4 and Cynthia (or whatever her name is) on Saturday. A little difficult, but nowhere near as hard as I was expecting (though I did use the guide to prepare).

What WAS hard as Hell was catching Mespirit. I caught Dialga with a Net Ball with very little difficulty and was able to save my Master Ball. Azelf went down easy with a Dusk Ball. Uxie was considerably tougher and took a couple hours. I figured out you could not catch him unless you put him to sleep. I got him down to a sliver of health and did that and eventually got him after throwing a string of Ultra Balls.

But Mespirit....my God. That was a nightmare. I figured out pretty quickly that you could get him where you want him simply by walking in and out of a town until he located in the field next to you. And I had a Golbat at level 47 that knew Mean Look, so I was able to keep him from running every time without fail. I also got him down to a sliver of health with little difficulty. But HE WOULD NOT GO DOWN. I'd start with a couple of Quick Balls, throw 20 Ultra Balls, some Luxury Balls, try a couple others. But I was not going to use my Master Ball. It became a fight of principle. Finally, I figured my chances would be improved if I waited until night and tried Dusk Balls. And that's what eventually got him, even though it took many, many, many, many tries last night. I thought I was dreaming when that 3rd shake and click came. Saved and passed out.

Already unlocked the National Dex. Looking forward to this whole new portion of the game and hunting more legendary and/or older pokes. Debating whether or not I want to go back and complete my half finished copy of Sapphire, or play through Emerald or what to get the pokes that would yield.[/quote]I remember not wanting anything to do with the runner legendaries, so i traveled the interweb, hoping to find someone who was trading master balls. Thank goodness i found someone. It was really a time saver, too.

I have a spare Deoxys (not sure if it's hacked or not, but whatever) that I got through GTS, so I'd be willing to part with it, if someone is interested.

[quote name='Tybee']Hmmm...Anybody have a Mightenya or Kecleon they don't need? I want a poke that knows Thief so I can do the Ditto item trick and I'd rather not use my TM if I don't have to.[/quote]
What trick is this? Ditto uses Transform in a double battle or something? I haven't tried it myself, but I heard that it was fixed in the US version.

[quote name='yayece']What trick is this? Ditto uses Transform in a double battle or something? I haven't tried it myself, but I heard that it was fixed in the US version.[/quote]

Hmm...Maybe it was. But yeah, it involves something like that. Basically send a Ditto and a Thief-equipped poke holding the item you want into a double battle. Ditto copies Thief-Poke, and gets the item....I think.

I know they fixed the GTS glitch where you could clone pokes and items. Not sure about this trick though.

I'd love to have Deoxys...Not sure if I have anything worth your while, though. :cry:

So I started playing my copy of leaf green because I got Pearl for cheap on Amazon and wanted some of the classic pokemon.

I also own a copy of Ruby and a copy of Pokemon Colosseum. Colosseum is in my back log pile. And my question is are there any pokemon that I can score in Colosseum that I can some how bring over to Pearl ?

I have a GBA and an GBA to GC link cable. So hooking up Leaf Green or Ruby to my cube/wii is no problem.

yeah you can go colosseum -> ruby -> d/p (once you beat the game). colosseum does have some exclusive pokemon with moves they can't get elsewhere (i can't think of what they were, but one of them was a grass healing move, and i think you can get some pokes with baton pass in colosseum that can't get it otherwise)

[quote name='banpeikun']yeah you can go colosseum -> ruby -> d/p (once you beat the game). colosseum does have some exclusive pokemon with moves they can't get elsewhere (i can't think of what they were, but one of them was a grass healing move, and i think you can get some pokes with baton pass in colosseum that can't get it otherwise)[/quote]I believe it was Zapdos that had Baton Pass for some odd reason, and Scizor (or was it Scyther? I forgot if I had caught it as a Scyther or Scizor in XD) had Morning Sun. XD was a pretty good game, much better than colosseum imo. I think it was mainly because purifying all the pokes wasn't impossible, thanks to the purifying chamber. Plus, free Lugia sweetened the deal.

Tybee, I'm not really looking for much, but if you have a bulbasaur or any of it's evolutions, I'll trade the Deoxys to you in a heartbeat. Also, the ditto-cloning glitch was fixed in the US version. I know, because I tried cloning master balls, and failed. :(

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Tybee, I'm not really looking for much, but if you have a bulbasaur or any of it's evolutions, I'll trade the Deoxys to you in a heartbeat. Also, the ditto-cloning glitch was fixed in the US version. I know, because I tried cloning master balls, and failed. :([/quote]
I can probably get you a Bulbasaur or three. Maybe in about 6 hours or so when I get off work. How'd you manage to get a Deoxys through GTS though? You have to have seen the pokemon before it lets you do GTS stuff.

In other news, my Sandstorm team worked better than I had ever hoped. Lucario, Metagross, Aerodactyl, Forretress, Tyranitar, and Garchomp are just mean. Sunny Day team kinda failed on me, but I wasn't expecting much out of that one. My new all-star has to be Lopunny, though. Klutz + Switcheroo is a lot better than expected.

@ Yayece: I had gotten one while searching through some forums for a Master Ball. Someone was trading a Deoxys, and I jumped on the deal. After that, I was able to get one more through GTS, which I'm not sure if it's hacked or not, but I'll assume it is, because it's a Deoxys. No doubt in my mind that the first one is hacked (lvl 8 Deoxys? C'mon...), but I don't ever really plan on using either of them. I just want one for my big box of legendaries.

EDIT: I may or may not be online later tonight. If you're getting home at around 8 pm, then I'll try and see if I can get your FC around then.

I did that quiz for fun. I used the power of the internet and only got 15/20 right. Didn't really bother to keep searching if it took more than 1 minute.

Edit: Without the internet, I would of failed miserably.

Man, I don't think I could last in that tourny. I bet there are those entrants who live and breathe pokemon. They probably know every single pokemon, their common movesets, etc. This game is pretty much a game of prediction and I suck at that. It's also a little intimidating having people from Japan actually come over here to play.

Then again, maybe they just got the nearest Charlie Chan and claim he came from Japan....

[quote name='option.iv']It's also a little intimidating having people from Japan actually come over here to play.[/quote]

I think they're just randomly selected by a drawing from Pokemon Daisuki Club members. Nothing to worry about. ;)

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Also depends on if Legends are allowed (didn't check). If so, I get to rebuild my Rain Dance team![/quote]
I would hope not. I'm sure it'll be similar to the rules on battle tower. Those Uber tiered pokes are too Uber. They always own my face.

Whenever you want it to? There are plenty of people out there who still play this game competitively. Basically, the whole gist of competitive pokemon is strategy (having effective pokes work as a team), prediction (of moves and pokemon) sprinkled with some luck. Later on when you beat the Elite 4, if you haven't done so, there is a battle tower where you can download other people's 3 pokemon teams to fight against. Or you could just go to a chat room like serebii.net and look for people to play with.

I'm sure nobody cares, but these pokemon threads need a bump... After many boxes of eggs, I finally hatched a bold, max def, max hp, natural cure Chansey with Aromatherapy. She's going to help me earn the Lansat/Starf berry in Emerald. ;)

bread's done
Back