Diamond; Pearl; Platinum 1-B (General Discussion; Strategies, Metagame, etc.)

Oh, shit. I knew that. :lol:

I meant to breed an egg, not hatch it. Whoops.

Although on the topic of egg hatching, Manaphy took a surprisingly short amount of time.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']So... does anyone know how many steps it takes to breed an egg from 2 pokemon in daycare, and how much experience the pokemon will gain in that time?[/quote]
Each egg is different. You can check on the profile pages on Serebii. Make sure you're looking under the D/P Pokedex. It doesn't gain any experience in the egg.

Not much at all. One step equals one experience point, AFAIK. If they're going to breed, they'll do it within 200 steps, usually.

So it shouldn't gain more than 200xp when it's being bred, then? That's good.

I want to breed some of my pokemon (Spiritomb and Riolu) but I don't want their movesets to get fucked up. If I can quick breed a spiritomb without it learning a move, then I can use the one from the egg to breed more without caring what happens to the moveset of that one.

Can you guys downsize those pictures? The horizontal scrolling is annoying as hell.

Riolu can't breed, it has to evolve into lucario before it can breed. Heart scales are pretty plentiful in the underground so they're easily recoverable if the worst happens. In the case of Spritomb you can breed the first egg, yack if from day care hatch the egg and then use the hatched spritomb as your breeding bitch, that's what I do if I'm using a real team pokemon for breeding purposes

Ah, okay. Breeding Riolu will be a bitch then.

Do you know how to breed a genderless? I don't know much about breeding at all ,really, so any links/info are appreciated, but I'm not sure how I'd go about breeding Manaphy.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Ah, okay. Breeding Riolu will be a bitch then.

Do you know how to breed a genderless? I don't know much about breeding at all ,really, so any links/info are appreciated, but I'm not sure how I'd go about breeding Manaphy.[/quote]

I don't think breeding genderless is much different. I just bred my metagross and got 3 beldum eggs no problem.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Massages? I'm assuming this is a new feature in D/P?
[/quote]

Yes it is a new feature. It is in Veilstone city, the closest house to the gym.

Ah, okay. So, two more questions. :lol:

What's a heartscale? I don't have access to the Underground since I don't know anyone else with this game.

And can someone explain incense?

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Ah, okay. So, two more questions. :lol:

What's a heartscale? I don't have access to the Underground since I don't know anyone else with this game.

And can someone explain incense?[/quote]

You can go in the underground by yourself. It's where you get heartscales.

[quote name='Trakan']You can go in the underground by yourself. It's where you get heartscales.[/quote]

Oh, really? I thought the underground was only accessible via DS-to-DS wifi.

Huh, thanks for the info!

[quote name='SL4IN']what do you do with heartscales? do you take them to the move tutor guy?[/quote]

Yeah, it's how you get certain moves on certain pokemon; like Wood Hammer on Torterra.

Does anybody know if trading pokemon resets their EV values. A guy strongarmed me into trading my Frolass and Gallade and I just want to make sure I didn't screw them up because that would be very painful to learn

Well damn, now I'm psyched to get to the Underground and start finding some cool shit!

When can the Museum turned fossils into Pokemon?

[quote name='Yertle']Does anybody know if trading pokemon resets their EV values. A guy strongarmed me into trading my Frolass and Gallade and I just want to make sure I didn't screw them up because that would be very painful to learn[/quote]

I've never heard of that. Just save the game and then try to use a vitamin. If it works, I guess they're reset; it won't let you use it if the EVs are full.

Nuggets are solely for selling squirrel so go earn your rightful 5000 poke dollars.

Joker don't waste your masterball on dialga unless you have a source for many more. Save it for the running legendaries like Mespirt or that moon thing

[quote name='Yertle']Nuggets are solely for selling squirrel so go earn your rightful 5000 poke dollars.

Joker don't waste your masterball on dialga unless you have a source for many more. Save it for the running legendaries like Mespirt or that moon thing[/quote]

Ok thanks.

Tonight im gonna hatch those eggs and I will breed some tomorrow. I am all out of johto starters so I will have more tomorrow!

do you use stardust for anything later in the game or is just there for you to sell it for some pokedollars?

I hate my slight OCD when it comes to Pokemon- I feel compelled to level my team up to 16 across the board before I do some event at Floaroma Town because one is 16 and the rest are like 10.

Oh well.

Anyone gonna try to complete the National Dex? I might try at least seeing, if not owning at one time or another, everything in the National Dex.

I would recommend ultra balls, timer balls and dusk balls. You may need to soft reset a few time if you either: a) kill azelf, b)run out of balls or c)get killed by azelf because you're having to waste every turn trying to catch him while he has free reign on your team.
Legendaries are a pain, but trust me on the fact you want to say your master ball for the runners

The runners are Mesprit and Cresentlia or whatever it's called. They're runners because they run away after your first encounter and then will appear in random battle in the field where they'll automatically run unless you mean look/block them. A massive pain

the mespirit i'm hunting is at 2/3 health and the cresentlia is at 1/3 health, so they're almost caught. All i've been doing to hurt them is using my lvl 75 scizor and using false swipe so I can get them to 1 health then throw that dusk ball.

edit: i'm at like 52 hours I think.....

I'm trying not to think about it but I'm at 75:39, and I've made 94 link trades. I mean 94 holy crap. My hall of fame debut was at 21:42 as well, oy

[quote name='Yertle']I'm trying not to think about it but I'm at 75:39, and I've made 94 link trades. I mean 94 holy crap. My hall of fame debut was at 21:42 as well, oy[/quote]

wow yertle. that's impressive. definately makes me not feel bad about spending 52 hours on my game....lol.

I think breeding and trading make for a very large chunk of the time though, I hope so anyways...

Everyone should get an extremely high level pokemon with the pick-up ability. My lvl 91 jp zigzagoon has found an extra shiny store, dusk stone and dawn stone so far. it's been totally awesome. definitely worth the palkia I traded for it on the gts that i had originally gotten by trading a phione egg.

[quote name='SL4IN']yeah that's kinda like when I picked up my copy of diamond at circuit city, it was just me and some lady and her son. she was like "you're getting pokemon?" and I was like of course, then she asked me, "you play them???" and then again I was like "they're good games." then she looked at me funny and walked off.[/QUOTE]

I stood in line for 4 hours for a mew, no one thought I was a child molester or anything, I guess its different when your a female or it depends on the area you live in. It was worth it though.

[quote name='Yertle']I think breeding and trading make for a very large chunk of the time though, I hope so anyways...

Everyone should get an extremely high level pokemon with the pick-up ability. My lvl 91 jp zigzagoon has found an extra shiny store, dusk stone and dawn stone so far. it's been totally awesome. definitely worth the palkia I traded for it on the gts that i had originally gotten by trading a phione egg.[/quote]

You got a Palkia for a Phione egg? Nice, I should try that.

Are those stones rare or something? What do they do?

On, and Sara, that was a great story. :lol:

[quote name='sixersballernum3']You got a Palkia for a Phione egg? Nice, I should try that.

Are those stones rare or something? What do they do?

On, and Sara, that was a great story. :lol:[/quote]

dusk stone evolves murkrow into honchkrow and misdreavous into mismaguous(spelling?)

and I think the other stone evolves togetic into togekiss but i'm not sure.

I didn't trade the phione egg over the GTS rather I traded it with a guy I met in the serebii chat room during my quest to get a second dawn stone.

The shiny stone evolves Roselia and Togetic. The dusk stone evolves Murkrow and Misdreavius. The dawn stone evolves male Kiralia and female Snorunt. To the best of my knowledge you only ever receive one of any of these stones in the natural course of the game and are not available in the underground, which is especially damning when you're some one like me who wants to train both of one stone's evolution, in my case the dawn stone.

Of course now I have both Frolass and Gallade and a surplus of two Dawn Stones, funny how life works out.

[quote name='Yertle']I didn't trade the phione egg over the GTS rather I traded it with a guy I met in the serebii chat room during my quest to get a second dawn stone.

The shiny stone evolves Roselia and Togetic. The dusk stone evolves Murkrow and Misdreavius. The dawn stone evolves male Kiralia and female Snorunt. To the best of my knowledge you only ever receive one of any of these stones in the natural course of the game and are not available in the underground, which is especially damning when you're some one like me who wants to train both of one stone's evolution, in my case the dawn stone.

Of course now I have both Frolass and Gallade and a surplus of two Dawn Stones, funny how life works out.[/quote]

I'm not gonna lie, that's pretty nice.

n00b alert:

Where do you get these vitamins? And what do I do with all the spheres I collect from underground?

[quote name='Trakan'] Each egg is different. You can check on the profile pages on Serebii. Make sure you're looking under the D/P Pokedex. It doesn't gain any experience in the egg.

Not much at all. One step equals one experience point, AFAIK. If they're going to breed, they'll do it within 200 steps, usually.[/QUOTE]
It took me between 2000-4000 steps to get my first Murkrow egg. wtf?

And there's only 1 Dusk stone in the game? So I can only evolve Murkrow or Misdreavous, not both? I saw something in the underground but the wall collapsed before I got it out, it looked like some mud or a rock with 2 red crystals sticking out of it. Anyone know what this was?

That's a heat stone and when held by a pokemon it extends the duration of sunny day. Stone limitation is not new, they've been doing it since RBY with the moon stones

Wow, the amount of time you guys have put in in just a week has me PUMPED about the game!

Couldn't pick it up today (still waiting on a loan I gave someone to come back my way), but I did browser the strategy guide, and I think I'll hold off on picking it up at first. I want to experience my first Pokemon game without any help until I get so lost and/or pissed that I shell out the $15. :lol:

I hate getting it over a week after everyone else, though - so far behind!

bread's done
Back