Digital Devil Saga 1 currently available at GS.com ($39.99)

[quote name='argyle']I haven't read this entire thread, so hopefully this hasn't been covered yet. But I can confirm that this is definitely a reprint.

I ordered Nocturne from Gamestop last week, and my package arrived today. Only...it wasn't Nocturne, it was DDS. The game is pretty clearly brand-new (opened, of course, but still untouched). The real clincher is the case tho - it's the exact same case that Persona 3 FES is in. No memory card slot, but a PS logo where it should be.

I wasn't even that upset about getting the wrong game, since I wanted DDS as well - but what really sucks is some moron slashed the front of the case with a box cutter. Cut clean through the insert, all the way across the front. I've emailed Atlus to see if I can get a replacement from them, but a local GS shows it being in stock so I may swing by there tomorrow and get them to swap it out.[/quote]

If that's the case, I guess I'll be going there tomorrow or Saturday when it arrives to see if I can get a double disc case (because I already own the soundtrack for DDS and Nocturne). And I'll be sending one to mberkes in Canada. They better not fuck up the art because they don't know how to use a box cutter though.

[quote name='argyle']I haven't read this entire thread, so hopefully this hasn't been covered yet. But I can confirm that this is definitely a reprint.

I ordered Nocturne from Gamestop last week, and my package arrived today. Only...it wasn't Nocturne, it was DDS. The game is pretty clearly brand-new (opened, of course, but still untouched). The real clincher is the case tho - it's the exact same case that Persona 3 FES is in. No memory card slot, but a PS logo where it should be.

I wasn't even that upset about getting the wrong game, since I wanted DDS as well - but what really sucks is some moron slashed the front of the case with a box cutter. Cut clean through the insert, all the way across the front. I've emailed Atlus to see if I can get a replacement from them, but a local GS shows it being in stock so I may swing by there tomorrow and get them to swap it out.[/quote]

The "used" copy of DDS that I saw at my local gamestop today was in the exact same condition as you described sans the boxcutter slash. Looks like I'll be returning that second copy I ordered.

[quote name='argyle']

I wasn't even that upset about getting the wrong game, since I wanted DDS as well - but what really sucks is some moron slashed the front of the case with a box cutter. Cut clean through the insert, all the way across the front. [/quote]

Hmm...I just looked at the copy of DDS1 I bought from GS two days ago, and, yea, my copy has that box cutter slash.

So far your copy, a copy someone on gamefaqs posted, and my copy are all the same. This is more proof of a possible reprint. But, somehow only GS is selling them? I wouldn't be surprised if Atlus gets a lot of emails for replacement inserts due to the cut made by GS.

Also, it looks like someone or people at GS is confused between Nocturne and DDS because my used copy of DDS1 had GS stickers that said Nocturne on it (the price stickers have DDS printed on it). The kicker is the sticker that has Nocturne printed on it along with "TSH-RFB" which means it came from GS corporate. I wouldn't be surprised if this confusion is one of the reasons why GS still has both games in stock.

some confirmed that it was a reprint on the atlus site as well only with no sepcial box or soundtrack
DSCN1130.jpg

You can tell from the new PS2 case design in the picture that it's a very recent reprint. This new case design just surfaced half a year ago.

Really? I know at the atlus forums the Nocturne reprint was confirmed, but I've yet to read anything regarding that DDS1 was reprinted.

I love the fact that we're having a discussion on whether these games have been reprinted. It's rather fun and interesting piecing together these little tidbits of information. But, hey, these reprints are great as people can now get these games at decent prices even if you have to shop at GS.

Now, I'm thinking about it, and I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but is it me or did these reprints come out pretty much the same time that P3: FES got released. It's like these three SMT games got released during the same week.

It's bad enough that gamestop opens new games but at least assign the task to someone besides edward scissorhands.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Not every title from Atlus is rare/high in demand, just a good majority of them.[/quote]

yes, but like antic said "the good far outweighs the bad" :)

[quote name='superdry']I love the fact that we're having a discussion on whether these games have been reprinted. It's rather fun and interesting piecing together these little tidbits of information. But, hey, these reprints are great as people can now get these games at decent prices even if you have to shop at GS.

Now, I'm thinking about it, and I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but is it me or did these reprints come out pretty much the same time that P3: FES got released. It's like these three SMT games got released during the same week.[/quote]

im glad they made reprints of nocturne and dds. after persona 3, ive been wanting to play these games, then i checked out prices and BAM! $100 each game.. geez. now i jus gotta find me dds2..

I assume this reprint was exclusively given to GameStop. It would of been nice for people to have an option to get it factory sealed. :)

[quote name='RSGames']I assume this reprint was exclusively given to GameStop. It would of been nice for people to have an option to get it factory sealed. :)[/QUOTE]

But look at the bright side - since they are listed as used, we can use all of our promotional codes to get it cheaper. If it's a reprint, there's really no collector's value with it, and it's still essentially in brand-new condition, so we win all around.

And like I said in the Nocturne thread, at least I get to play the game now at an affordable price.

I for one will be annoyed if I get DDS instead of Nocturne, since I would have to order Nocturne again and hope I actually get what I want. But I will certainly keep DDS should that occur since I was considering ordering one anyway.

I was at my local gamestop and found one copy used. It was the same reprint that was pictured above, but I bit anyway....then got a copy of DDS 2 on ebay for $25 shipped.

Damn, so DDS was reprinted too? I was thinking as much when I saw 2 copies at my local GS yesterday.:p

Now I'm kinda sad that I got extra copies (to play) of both games earlier this year. It's not the money that's an issue but the copies have shitty condition discs.:lol:

[quote name='CaoPi']some confirmed that it was a reprint on the atlus site as well only with no sepcial box or soundtrack
DSCN1130.jpg
[/quote]

Hey guy, that's my picture!!! Well, I don't care, but as you can see there's a box cutter slash.

This appears to be a reprint on Digital Devil Saga 1 and also Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Most Gamestop stores have received or will receive soon a box with one copy each "newsed". A newsed game is any brand new game that has been open and gutted for the sole purpose of being sold as used product, therefore guaranteeing profit.

This is similar to what happened with Disgaea: Hour of Darkness about a year ago. The price was hovering around $70 used until a mysterious reprint of newsed copies hit stores. Then the price dropped to $40.

One of the fun things about the reprint is that once one copy sells, about a week later that specific Gamestop store will receive another to replace it. This cycle can last for months.

Chances are none of these copies will ever contain the original cardboard sleeve, however. Usually there are no noticable differences in disc production though, so if you're looking for a copy to play, this is the best time to grab one.

Newsed is my new favorite term. Noticed both Nocturne and DDS pop up in a couple nearby stores in the store locator. I'll be more interested when they appear closer.

[quote name='botticus']Newsed is my new favorite term. Noticed both Nocturne and DDS pop up in a couple nearby stores in the store locator. I'll be more interested when they appear closer.[/QUOTE]

and rapestop my favorite store name ;-)

[quote name='gobz']It's bad enough that gamestop opens new games but at least assign the task to someone besides edward scissorhands.[/quote]

:lol:

Theres one on transit coming to my store next week. I put my name down on it to pull it aside for me so hopefully they will do it. Also hope it has at least the cover + manual + game disk and I'll be happy.

My copy came today, and it looks exactly like the one above. Mint with a actual sony case without the memory card holder. It sure looks like they just opened a new game and sent it as used, but after the online coupons it was 32.19 so even if there is a 29.99 reprint I wont feel bad.

[quote name='darkslime']I have a complete copy of this hidden in the Karaoke Revolution american idol display box at my GS, for when I get the money. lol[/quote]

America let the search begin!!!

[quote name='gobz']America let the search begin!!![/quote] People in the yard sale thread probably know where I live, so if they want to go searching go ahead. Its probably gone anyway because all the GS in my city did inventory this week.

But is it actually worth buying when you're a 14 year old kid who doesn't get much money?

[quote name='darkslime']People in the yard sale thread probably know where I live, so if they want to go searching go ahead. Its probably gone anyway because all the GS in my city did inventory this week.

But is it actually worth buying when you're a 14 year old kid who doesn't get much money?[/QUOTE]

unless the 14 years old also got a fake ID as it is a M rated game

[quote name='62t']unless the 14 years old also got a fake ID as it is a M rated game[/quote] I've bought a few M rated games at GS, and they don't care.

[quote name='darkslime']I've bought a few M rated games at GS, and they don't care.[/quote]

then to answer your question, yes. its worth it. buy it! lol

[quote name='62t']unless the 14 years old also got a fake ID as it is a M rated game[/quote]

Not your fault, but because of lax enforcement of the current ratings system, it opens the door for politicians to make an issue out of minors buying violent video games.

Ok not sure if it has already been confirmed or not...

Manager friend of an EB (gamestop) from another city said it was a brand new copy that came shrinked wrapped in the new style ps2 case. They are suppose to unwrap it and label it as used, but the manager friend is keeping it sealed for me. Picking it up today :)

[quote name='sesshoumarusama']it's really got to be a reprint or something as 3 out of 4 gamestops in town mysteriously have them instock..[/quote]

Yup...I've now seen 4 diferent GS with both games. Too bad these reprints came out after the 25% off PS2 coupon.

I do wonder how many copies were reprinted of each. Even with these reprints, the ebay/amazon prices haven't really dropped. I've even noticed people on ebay selling these reprints for like twice the price GS is selling them for.

Now all I have to do is track down a sealed copy of DDS1 to complete my sealed SMT collection. That's gonna be hard and not cheap.

I also ordered two copies and they are basically new. Both had the booklets and new PS2 cases without the memory card holder. Pleasantly surprised by this. It even had the new game smell as well. :lol:

--Michael

[quote name='Antic']Got the two I ordered today and they're just like the photo.[/quote]

[quote name='Civickid96']I also ordered two copies and they are basically new. Both had the booklets and new PS2 cases without the memory card holder. Pleasantly surprised by this. It even had the new game smell as well. :lol:

--Michael[/quote]

did they have that - It looks like Edward Scissorhands opened this look as well?

Unlike the ones in the photo, my cases are Edward Scissorhand scratch free. Like I said, they basically looked like someone just unwrapped them and slapped on a USED sticker. Very happy with what I got. Now I'm waiting for Nocturne...

--Michael

I finally broke down and ordered a copy of DDS 1 on Friday after seeing so many posts about the copies people were receiving being "new", just w/o the shrinkwrap. I also had a $10 coupon for when the messed up a previous order, so not too bad for ~$32 shipped. I'm REALLY hoping my copy comes "newsed" (sans Eddie Scissorhands mischief)!

I can't wait to play this game. I already have DDS 2 but I've been waiting to pick up the first game. Got that one for ~$20, so ~$50 for both games kicks serious ass.

Go figure I'm actually playing this when I heard about this deal. Good game and a great storyline, we shall all earn our way to Nirvana by consuming our enemies!!

[quote name='kommiekazie']did they have that - It looks like Edward Scissorhands opened this look as well?[/quote]

Oops. Negative to that. The two I received are without any sort of marks at all. I didn't even see the damage in the photo until someone just pointed it out now.

The only thing I'm missing now is that art box and controller art to *technically* have a complete package. Even if I don't find them, no big deal.

I got into somewhat of a fight with a gamestop clerk today- I bought Nocturne in store, clerk said it was "refurbished" - I told em reprint, distribution center opened em, sent em out saying they were "refurbished" to sell, yadda yadda, clerk is convinced they're refurbished copies, not reprints.

That DDS pic is mine, although I went out to a different gamestop and got a different insert-so all I need now is DDS2.

After ordering DDS and Nocturne I finally went ahead and searched for DDS2 today. I found a "new" and used copy at a gamestop pretty close to me. I had a feeling that the "new" copy wouldn't be shrink wrapped though since it was so old, and it turns out it was the display case. I was thinking of picking up both the new and used copy but the used one had stickers underneath the plastic V_V. The guy who was helping me told me he always puts the stickers over the plastic but I guess some people don't.

I hate gamestop sometimes but 19.99 for a "new" copy was a pretty good deal so I went with it anyways.

[quote name='Strife025']After ordering DDS and Nocturne I finally went ahead and searched for DDS2 today. I found a "new" and used copy at a gamestop pretty close to me. I had a feeling that the "new" copy wouldn't be shrink wrapped though since it was so old, and it turns out it was the display case. I was thinking of picking up both the new and used copy but the used one had stickers underneath the plastic V_V. The guy who was helping me told me he always puts the stickers over the plastic but I guess some people don't.

I hate gamestop sometimes but 19.99 for a "new" copy was a pretty good deal so I went with it anyways.[/quote]

Yea.... as eBay is $35 or so average.

[quote name='Strife025']After ordering DDS and Nocturne I finally went ahead and searched for DDS2 today. I found a "new" and used copy at a gamestop pretty close to me. I had a feeling that the "new" copy wouldn't be shrink wrapped though since it was so old, and it turns out it was the display case. I was thinking of picking up both the new and used copy but the used one had stickers underneath the plastic V_V. The guy who was helping me told me he always puts the stickers over the plastic but I guess some people don't.

I hate gamestop sometimes but 19.99 for a "new" copy was a pretty good deal so I went with it anyways.[/quote]

It took me awhile to find a decent "new" copy of DDS2 when I was searching for it. Every place I went to had only one gutted display copy, and the disc was pretty scratched up every time.

[quote name='Antic']It took me awhile to find a decent "new" copy of DDS2 when I was searching for it. Every place I went to had only one gutted display copy, and the disc was pretty scratched up every time.[/quote]

Yea the first place I called which was a bit closer to me that had a new copy that I saw online couldn't even find the case for the disk. The place I went too though with the gutted new copy the disk was perfect. Basically the case and manual were in very good condition and the disk was perfect, so for $19.99 it was probably better than anything I would find on ebay.

I got my two copies. One of them is perfectly opened. The other has a slight cut in the plastic, but the slip-art is not cut at all, it just shows as if a finger nail was traced along the front (like a 3 centimeter line).
If the price climbs again, im willing to get 2 copies of DDS2, and keep one set and sell the other.

got one of my copies. it came complete and does look like it was opened and slapped with a white upc sticker. still smells new. no slashes. hope my nocturne cames like that.

[quote name='xAix']Yeah, dangit I thought I'd get mine today, too. :([/quote]

at least im not alone!

where do these copies ship from?? hope its not from local rapestops caz some of the employees around my area dont like me.. high school drama whackness..

I have DDS2 sealed and stored away in my personal collection. I've always wanted to play it, but was looking for a good deal on the first one and the fact that it is opened already allows me to actually give it a go.

After "CAG16" and "SAVER" it came out to $35.94 - Not Bad!

bread's done
Back