Dirt 3 Free Steam Codes

Thanks but I'm gonna pass, now that I know that the keys aren't entirely legit I don't want to run the risk of getting banned from Steam. and i'm too lazy to make a new acct.

thanks.. and u cant get banned because some website screwed up and posted codes,, no one gets banned win gamestop does it

I doubt that anyone will be banned because of this. The worst thing that might happen is that the game is going to be removed from your purchase history (or how this is called on Steam). But I think nothing is going to happen at all, Valve is only going to disable these codes. But currently many of them are still working.

I'll pass on this as well. Not worth the risk, even if there is little to risk to your Steam account. I'd imagine they will make those copies invalid though.

I don't think CAG would allow this thread either.

I saw this last night but didn't post it because it's not a freebie, but keys stolen from an unsecured website. That link is just a small snippet of them. There are 2 million keys in the full list. I wonder how long it will be until they fix it. I'm sure that the holiday weekend didn't do them any favors.

if steam is mad about it they should blame the other company.. besides they shouldnt make a big deal out of steam members getting a free game since the codes are unlimited ...which means they make millions on top of millions of $ just buy making and selling more unlock codes. i dont have a problem with getting banned from steam for this because that would mean i just buy all my games from ms

I used it on my regular account. If I'm banned, I'll just plead I didn't know and get my account reinstated; but I highly doubt Steam will ban two million people. It's the company's fault, and if anything happens, it'll probably only be invalidation of these keys.

[quote name='Blade']I used it on my regular account. If I'm banned, I'll just plead I didn't know and get my account reinstated; but I highly doubt Steam will ban two million people. It's the company's fault, and if anything happens, it'll probably only be invalidation of these keys.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that the keys will even be invalidated. The website that the list is from spits out a key if you put in a code that came with a video card. Unless someone calls customer service because their product key was already used and they match it up with the steam key (on the list they're right next to each other) Valve doesn't know which are legit and which aren't.

I think the worst that's going to happen here is the offending game's removed from your list.

TBH, That's a LOT of work for Valve to do, correcting someone else mistake. and they're not going to ban 2 million Steam users. Especially considering some of those keys were already given out legitimately BEFORE the leak. anyone who does have trouble should contact support over it.

still working codes on the list

first code i tried (984 of the 2nd list) worked for me, setup a seperate account for it just in case, far too many games on steam for me to risk losing em, i'll probably not play dirt 3 anyways, nearly finished it on 360, just nice to have a variation of games on my PC for if/when my xbox breaks

[quote name='Blade']I used it on my regular account. If I'm banned, I'll just plead I didn't know and get my account reinstated; but I highly doubt Steam will ban two million people. It's the company's fault, and if anything happens, it'll probably only be invalidation of these keys.[/QUOTE]

Done the same, glad i'm not alone in this.

[quote name='MrPiggles']Got me one, since I haven't actually bought a single game on steam, don't really care if my account is banned.[/QUOTE]
lo me either they all where free and i only had a few and i have the same games with other game clients
but they wont ban us anyway all we did was get a code from a fellow website member all they can do is try to make it a demo insted or something like that.

do you think this could get you banned from xbox live? also which bit do you copy and paste i can't seem to get any to work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chances are, someone used a bot to instantly redeem all the codes, or Steam deactivated the codes. And how the hell would you get banned from XBL for using Steam codes?

[quote name='MrPiggles']Chances are, someone used a bot to instantly redeem all the codes, or Steam deactivated the codes. And how the hell would you get banned from XBL for using Steam codes?[/QUOTE]

Weren't there like 1.7 million codes leaked? Not in these 2 lists I think there are more.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/dirt-3-hacked-3-million-digital-copies-stolen/

Here is one story if you are interested

[quote name='hereon']http://www.industrygamers.com/news/dirt-3-hacked-3-million-digital-copies-stolen/

Here is one story if you are interested[/QUOTE]
From that article Codemasters knows what codes are stolen and will move to deactivate them.

[quote name='bearhawk72']From that article Codemasters knows what codes are stolen and will move to deactivate them.[/QUOTE]

Which I why I didn't try since it'll be a pain if they did anything to my steam account

[quote name='MrPiggles']Chances are, someone used a bot to instantly redeem all the codes, or Steam deactivated the codes. And how the hell would you get banned from XBL for using Steam codes?[/QUOTE]

Because Dirt 3 is a GFWL game. Steam gives you a cd key to redeem on Live when you launch the game. Once you've used the key on your Live account, it's then permanently associated with it. Still, I doubt anyone is getting banned from anything.

[quote name='bs000']Because Dirt 3 is a GFWL game. Steam gives you a cd key to redeem on Live when you launch the game. Once you've used the key on your Live account, it's then permanently associated with it. Still, I doubt anyone is getting banned from anything.[/QUOTE]

Really, damn, better finish downloading it them!!!

Edit: Wait, is it for GFWL of XBL?

someone on my friends list messaged me about this, tried it out, was like wtf no way!! but i dont really care if steam removes this from my game library but if they do ban me then we're gonna have a problem

For the last time, it would be impossible for Steam to ban all the people who use the codes since the codes are for the AMD promo that's been going on for quite some time now, and banning all the users who use the codes would also ban a large number of users who legitimately obtained the codes, resulting in a PR nightmare.

Steam, Codemasters, and AMD will probably deactivate all the codes and remove all copies of Dirt 3 from Steam Accounts that used the codes, and then have the people who legitimately got the codes to mail in proofs of purchases to receive new codes.

For the last time, it would be impossible for Steam to ban the people who use the codes since the codes are for the AMD promo that's been going on for quite some time now, and banning all the users who use the codes would also ban a large number of users who legitimately obtained the codes, resulting in a PR nightmare.

Steam, Codemasters, and AMD will either:

A. Do nothing

or

B. Deactivate all the codes and remove all copies of Dirt 3 from the redeemed codes, and then have the people who legitimately got the codes to mail in proofs of purchases to receive new codes.

[quote name='MrPiggles']For the last time, it would be impossible for Steam to ban all the people who use the codes since the codes are for the AMD promo that's been going on for quite some time now, and banning all the users who use the codes would also ban a large number of users who legitimately obtained the codes, resulting in a PR nightmare.

Steam, Codemasters, and AMD will probably deactivate all the codes and remove all copies of Dirt 3 from Steam Accounts that used the codes, and then have the people who legitimately got the codes to mail in proofs of purchases to receive new codes.[/QUOTE]
They can narrow it down drastically by who activated the game code from the time they knew it was stolen until they stopped it. It's affect far fewer actual purcahses

[quote name='MrPiggles']For the last time, it would be impossible for Steam to ban all the people who use the codes since the codes are for the AMD promo that's been going on for quite some time now, and banning all the users who use the codes would also ban a large number of users who legitimately obtained the codes, resulting in a PR nightmare.

Steam, Codemasters, and AMD will probably deactivate all the codes and remove all copies of Dirt 3 from Steam Accounts that used the codes, and then have the people who legitimately got the codes to mail in proofs of purchases to receive new codes.[/QUOTE]

They actually probably have a log of the people who submitted forms with AMD product keys and could deactivate all Steam keys that aren't on that list.

[quote name='bearhawk72']They can narrow it down drastically by who activated the game code from the time they knew it was stolen until they stopped it. It's affect far fewer actual purcahses[/QUOTE]
wel not really because people could still recive code like I just got mine today with the video card I ordered

The Steam user agreement terms do state they can ban you if you redeem a key that is gotten illegally so playing dumb, will not really help much.

[quote name='maiden of haste']do you think this could get you banned from xbox live? also which bit do you copy and paste i can't seem to get any to work![/QUOTE]

I don't think this is for Xbox.

[quote name='Headhumper']I don't think this is for Xbox.[/QUOTE]

It's a GFWL game which requires a Live account. Most people will probably use their existing account which is tied to Xbox Live for achievements and to keep their games in one place.

[quote name='sir-fly']http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...otgun/steam+(Rock,+Paper,+Shotgun:+Steam+RSS)
this article was on steam and they say they are going to ban people who used the free codes
which is really dumb since we dint steal them and probally bought the code from some one on ebay like we do anyway... but i only had a few free steam games and i have backup codes to unlock those again so ban me if they want.[/QUOTE]but did you read the link I gave with a steam rep saying not to belive what is said on thoses reports

[quote name='overblood']but did you read the link I gave with a steam rep saying not to belive what is said on thoses reports[/QUOTE]

no i didnt read it and its dumb for steam to have the article i posted on there site

[quote name='sir-fly']no i didnt read it and its dumb for steam to have the article i posted on there site[/QUOTE]

Steam has content partners for news stuff. They aren't paying a guy to hand pick articles. When something on Kotaku (or RPS, or a few other sites) has the tag Dirt 3, then that article appears on the Dirt 3 page.

These codes were stolen. Users may or may not get banned for using these keys, but the copy of Dirt 3 will most certainly be disabled (as many already have). Pro tip: if someone links you to a massive list of keys, it's probably not legal.

bread's done
Back