Disney Infinity Deals Compilation Thread Mk. II - Adios Infinity - Best Buy Flash Sale 5/20

maximumzero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
2.0_Logo.jpg

5/20/16
Best Buy Flash Sale!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/vg-20160520

Last edited by a moderator:
I was about to buy the Disney infinity 3.0 set on Amazon few days back for $40

I'm not sure if I should start collecting or wait for a price drop with Disney canceling the game.

Heartbreaking.  Game aside, these figures were really fantastic for the price.  I guess now I'll never get that Darkwing Duck figure I've been hoping for for years...  Sigh.

waiting for clearance pricing to get into 3.0. still have a couple of missing 2.0. missed out on some of the deals but i know itll be back.. hehe

Just played a little bit on 1.0, most 2.0 but the mini games in 3.0 gameplay in reproducing famous Star Wars scenes are actually done really good and they have the potential to be expanded or ported to other playsets.

There is already a big community in Toy Box and it's greatly improved in 3.0. The management just didn't see the potential they have already built.
At this point my hope is they release one more improved version of the editor. I doubt it because editors tend to need a couple of substantial patches but there were a few features (like a lighting model, more scripting, etc.) that would have really opened up what the community could have done. Biggest mistake was having to support iOS imo as the client always looked built for lowest common denominator.

Considering how almost all the packages come unglued on their own over time sealed stuff is probably going to become more rare on its own. Hopefully we see lots of good prices so I can finish off the characters I don't have.

I do wonder if we might see more DI stuff down the road though since all the statements I read specifically said about self publishing. If someone wanted to step up and throw money at them to license it you never know and there's always new movies to promote.

waiting for clearance pricing to get into 3.0. still have a couple of missing 2.0. missed out on some of the deals but i know itll be back.. hehe
You killed DI, I hope you're happy.

You killed DI, I hope you're happy.
heard about the news... yeah! i actually was an avid fan since 1.0. bought all figures when they released, but after 2.0 it got so boring and repetitive that i didnt even bother getting 3.0 at all. now im just trying to get all the figures just for collecting purposes. they really are made really well. too bad the implementation of the figures to gameplay was not put into great use.

I do wonder if we might see more DI stuff down the road though since all the statements I read specifically said about self publishing. If someone wanted to step up and throw money at them to license it you never know and there's always new movies to promote.
I doubt that. The game studio who developed the game will be desolved, it would be hard for other publisher to pick that up. If they had such plan, they would try to sell the studio altogether.

I doubt that. The game studio who developed the game will be desolved, it would be hard for other publisher to pick that up. If they had such plan, they would try to sell the studio altogether.
Depends since they would likely be licensing out the software, the tech, the manufacturing process, etc. that if they were going to go that route would enable whomever wanted to license it to hit the ground running and build off what they already had in place. Licensing would allow them to have it continue being DI, using Disney characters, working with the existing pieces, and getting them paid while removing the costs from their shoulders. It is unlikely because the bubble does seem to have popped and EA's probably the only one who would really have the money to throw at something like that (other than Activision who already have their own plastic anchor), it was just very odd that they were specifically talking about how self-publishing it didn't make sense for them any longer.

I too am debating to pick up the few remaining missing characters now or hope the will be super cheap and in stock in the next month or so...

But Still saddened about the overall news.

Does anyone know when/if we can pre-order the Finding Dory set?  I would like to get that soon as possible since I would assume it will be a limited production count.

Dang...I'm just getting into DI w/my son & this.

Well, hoping I'm able to actually snag a good deal of anything when it prices go on clearance.

Ironically this is the first time I actually want a Jar Jar Binks as a playable character and was really looking fwd to a Donnie Yen/Rogue One character too.

Sad news, and my heart goes out to those 300 or so employees that are going to be out of work as a result of this. I wish them the best in finding good employment quickly.

I never meant to own every Infinity character but I actually have most of them. I wonder if I should just keep going for a full set or stop, knowing there won't be new games for them and the servers will likely be shut down within 2-3 years. 

At a minimum I want to get Ant-Man and Black Panther still. I don't really see myself going back to the playsets much but I think I will probably go back to the Marvel Battlegrounds game just because it felt so much like Powerstone and was so much fun with friends. 

Well, I'm bummed.  Only two more figures to get to complete my main collection (no light FX figures, no 2.0 power discs) and I'll pick up the last two sets.  I thought they would give it more of a go releasing only figures and not a new version, but apparently it wasn't worth it.  That doesn't bode well for Skylanders or Dimensions since DI was supposedly the #1 selling toys-to-life franchise the past two years, but not financially viable.  I guess we're not getting Darkwing Duck.

Battlegrounds is like Powerstone?

Damn it!
In my opinion it is. 4 players running around an interactive 3D arena, able to throw shit at each other, manipulate the environment with hazards, and everyone gets power-up moves, etc.

I think anyone who enjoyed Powerstone would love Battlegrounds.

Just throwing it out there:

Anyone not using their Star Wars webcodes can send them to me. I screw around with the PC version now and then and that's the only way to play. Many thanks will be given for your generosity.

I really enjoyed that game at the arcade.

My biggest dilemma is finding 2.0 Marvel characters for decent prices. I think as soon ppl figured out about 2.0 and cartwheel, all the Targets w/in reasonable driving distance only have Aladdin and the maybe a Brave/Stitch set.

I have to say, Infinity has the strongest character line, but the weakest gameplay.
This is sad news. I enjoyed the Infinity games but you're right, the actual game built around them was never quite up to the standard of the characters. I wish that, like Lego Dimensions, Infinity had really pursued the mash-up idea and had let these character interact with each other and exist in the same story, rather than everything being self-contained in its own IP. My kids did get some fun out of the level editor, but, well, it's no Minecraft.

I'm going to go ahead and snap up a couple of figures I wanted now, $8 at Best Buy is not awful. It will be interesting to see where prices ultimately go.

Just throwing it out there:

Anyone not using their Star Wars webcodes can send them to me. I screw around with the PC version now and then and that's the only way to play. Many thanks will be given for your generosity.
PM me, I have given most away already but may have a couple left I can send you tonight after work. I think I have Sabine and Ezra codes still.

So I haven't played a lot of DI yet, but I have 2.0, 3.0 and many of the playsets (and roughly 30 figures).  I was going to wait to get into it when my boys were a little older (they are 3 and 1 right now).  With those servers going offline in a couple years am I SOL or will some of the game still be playable offline?  What are we losing with those servers going offline at some point in the future?

So I haven't played a lot of DI yet, but I have 2.0, 3.0 and many of the playsets (and roughly 30 figures). I was going to wait to get into it when my boys were a little older (they are 3 and 1 right now). With those servers going offline in a couple years am I SOL or will some of the game still be playable offline? What are we losing with those servers going offline at some point in the future?
The playsets and toy box expansion games will be available to play in offline no matter what happens with the servers. You can also still play in the toy box and play any downloaded toy boxes (limit of 100), but there will be no more downloading and/or sharing toy boxes online, unfortunately.

So I haven't played a lot of DI yet, but I have 2.0, 3.0 and many of the playsets (and roughly 30 figures). I was going to wait to get into it when my boys were a little older (they are 3 and 1 right now). With those servers going offline in a couple years am I SOL or will some of the game still be playable offline? What are we losing with those servers going offline at some point in the future?
Once it happens you won't be able to download other people's custom made levels or upload your own levels to the community, nor will you be able to do any kind of online co-op. It will also prevent you from being able to get some of the trophies/achievements if you are into that kind of thing.

That being said, it isn't going to prevent you from playing any of the playsets single player or couch co-op and it isn't going to prevent you from building and playing your own levels, you just won't have a server available to upload them to. You can still play all of the playsets in full. Hopefully Disney remains cool with the community and keeps the servers up as long as possible.

That's good to hear.  I bought the games, playsets and figures thinking it'd be a good entry level type game to get my boys into gaming as they get a little older (plus I thought the figures themselves looked pretty cool).  I don't care to much about the online features as long as we can still play stuff offline.  I'll go out there and make sure to download updates and such soon so everything is squared away when things go dark.

Once it happens you won't be able to download other people's custom made levels or upload your own levels to the community, nor will you be able to do any kind of online co-op. It will also prevent you from being able to get some of the trophies/achievements if you are into that kind of thing.
That's a good point. I need to check and make sure I've done everything I need to do for the online achievements before it's too late.

This is sad news. I enjoyed the Infinity games but you're right, the actual game built around them was never quite up to the standard of the characters. I wish that, like Lego Dimensions, Infinity had really pursued the mash-up idea and had let these character interact with each other and exist in the same story, rather than everything being self-contained in its own IP. My kids did get some fun out of the level editor, but, well, it's no Minecraft.
That's why Toybox Takeover was the best play set. Seeing my nieces fight Darth Vader with Elsa and Anna from Frozen brought a smile to my face.

Well, there goes my hopes for getting an Emma Swan figure. I guess the Peter Pan fig we were promised is out of the question now too...

The only thing I wish they would do before bowing out is patch it into the game so that we could  level our figs to maybe 25 and give us enough points to fully complete all our figures' skill trees.

That's why Toybox Takeover was the best play set. Seeing my nieces fight Darth Vader with Elsa and Anna from Frozen brought a smile to my face.
gah...I thought ToyBox Takeover was included in the start kit and something you just downloaded off their servers. Hopefully this goes on clearance soon too.

ToyBox Takeover is definitely worth owning. Lots of fun! And a significant challenge at times.
I think it's $9.99 in some places, going to wait a bit longer and then pick it up. Hopefully there's a DI sale for 3.0 stuff soon so I can get the stuff I really want and then roll the dice on other stuff to go on clearance.

Maybe I'm cynical but I wonder if this isn't a smart marketing ploy to abandon the 'old' Disney Infinity label and re-mold it into something else.  Disney Infinity 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, etc doesn't have the same ring to it as something like 'the all new, totally different, cutting edge Disney uberToys.'  Plus it's probably not the best business model to let people continue to play with their material from 5 years ago on the brand new edition, there's less motive for people to rush to the new figures - discontinuing 'Disney Infinity' might be a sly way of shelving toys-to-life for a bit to re-invent the brand in a way that requires all new hardware/figures.  Infinity was in danger of getting stuck in a rut with routine releases mining increasingly less common/popular characters.  Plus, imagine the pull this may have in diminishing the currently high competition (shaking consumer faith in toys-to-life might make people hesitate to dive into Lego or Skylanders). 

+1 to recommending ToyBoxTakeover, it is epic being able to combine franchises.  

Maybe I'm cynical but I wonder if this isn't a smart marketing ploy to abandon the 'old' Disney Infinity label and re-mold it into something else. Disney Infinity 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, etc doesn't have the same ring to it as something like 'the all new, totally different, cutting edge Disney uberToys.' Plus it's probably not the best business model to let people continue to play with their material from 5 years ago on the brand new edition, there's less motive for people to rush to the new figures - discontinuing 'Disney Infinity' might be a sly way of shelving toys-to-life for a bit to re-invent the brand in a way that requires all new hardware/figures. Infinity was in danger of getting stuck in a rut with routine releases mining increasingly less common/popular characters. Plus, imagine the pull this may have in diminishing the currently high competition (shaking consumer faith in toys-to-life might make people hesitate to dive into Lego or Skylanders).

+1 to recommending ToyBoxTakeover, it is epic being able to combine franchises.
That would be a sound theory, if they hadn't laid off the entire studio...

Hopefully this isn't too off topic, but do any of you have recommendations on toy boxes to download?  Sounds like we can grab up to 100, might be worth while to grab a bunch and just have them downloaded of offline play later.

I'd like to know just how much of these things they thought they were going to sell. Every major retailer I go to has a ton of Infinity stuff that ebbs and flows (so it doesn't seem like it just sits there...like Lego). So if they're sitting on $100 million worth of inventory...wow. Sounds like whoever made the sales projections needed to be fired, not the game studio. 

Disney has always struggled with their gaming divisions. Does anyone remember the racing game that Disney Interactive did a few years ago, Split/Second ... was a fun game but the studio was basically driven into the ground and Disney Infinity was their last hope. Here's a bit more historical perspective and probably why Disney will/should just contract out their licensing in the future -

"Disney Interactive Studios has lost more than $200 million per year from 2008-2012[24] during a period in which it shut down Propaganda Games,[25] Black Rock Studio[26] and Junction Point Studios[27] and its co-president John Pleasants stepped down in November 2013 after the launch of Disney Infinity.[24]

On March 6, 2014, 700 employees were laid off.[28]"

The PC version and mobile version share the same unlocked characters correct? Maybe I'll just switch to that and dump all my figures.

Have any of you thought that maybe this was partially due to the massive failure of the Playmation line that Disney had been working on with Hasbro? 

It sounded really promising at first with the whole ARG thing, but it really didn't work that well any time that I saw it demonstrated and most brick and mortar stores I've seen it in lately it has been massively discounted. I realized this morning that DI was obviously much more successful, but Playmation was maybe such a massive failure that they just had to go scorched earth to stop losing money.  

Have any of you thought that maybe this was partially due to the massive failure of the Playmation line that Disney had been working on with Hasbro?

It sounded really promising at first with the whole ARG thing, but it really didn't work that well any time that I saw it demonstrated and most brick and mortar stores I've seen it in lately it has been massively discounted. I realized this morning that DI was obviously much more successful, but Playmation was maybe such a massive failure that they just had to go scorched earth to stop losing money.
I was tempted to buy Playmation starter pack when I saw it at Ross at $30 and figure pack at $5 a few months back, at first I thought it's like Infinity but some web search at store found it was not the toy for me. I also don't like the figures, I prefer the more Disney-look Infinity figures. I was wondering how those could hit Ross after only a few months of release.

However, it's not video games, I think it's not under the umbrella of Disney's video game publishing, so this dumb thing might survive even no one wants it.

I was tempted to buy Playmation starter pack when I saw it at Ross at $30 and figure pack at $5 a few months back, at first I thought it's like Infinity but some web search at store found it was not the toy for me. I also don't like the figures, I prefer the more Disney-look Infinity figures. I was wondering how those could hit Ross after only a few months of release.

However, it's not video games, I think it's not under the umbrella of Disney's video game publishing, so this dumb thing might survive even no one wants it.
You're right about it not being video games, but I just wonder if it's being lumped in because it is related to the whole TTL genre and if someone at Disney just decided to pull the band-aid off and kill it all at once.

Disney has always struggled with their gaming divisions. Does anyone remember the racing game that Disney Interactive did a few years ago, Split/Second ... was a fun game but the studio was basically driven into the ground and Disney Infinity was their last hope. Here's a bit more historical perspective and probably why Disney will/should just contract out their licensing in the future -

"Disney Interactive Studios has lost more than $200 million per year from 2008-2012[24] during a period in which it shut down Propaganda Games,[25] Black Rock Studio[26] and Junction Point Studios[27] and its co-president John Pleasants stepped down in November 2013 after the launch of Disney Infinity.[24]

On March 6, 2014, 700 employees were laid off.[28]"
It's somewhat difference this time.

The other games before were just games, DI is not just a game series, but a huge community involving the whole family, a community that many companies couldn't build or might be just some hardcore gamers. The management didn't see the potential and didn't bother to find other effective ways to capitalize on it, only looking at the figures on spreadsheet, but not the figures owned the happy communities.

It's a management mistake in projecting the sales and overstocking, not the studios who has done a good job in building the Toy Box community, but it's always the studios got slain.

It's definitely dead. Disney Stores (the mall store) had a fire sale on all of that during January. They put it all immediately at 75% off. Never seen them drop a product that fast.

I'd like to know just how much of these things they thought they were going to sell. Every major retailer I go to has a ton of Infinity stuff that ebbs and flows (so it doesn't seem like it just sits there...like Lego). So if they're sitting on $100 million worth of inventory...wow. Sounds like whoever made the sales projections needed to be fired, not the game studio.
think about all the playsets and collector sets that retail for $79.99 - $114.99+, that no one is buying or we're buying now at clearance prices. I think I bought the original DI starter kit for 3DS at Walmart for $15, then flipped it. That was $50+ when it came out.

Hard to fail with Star Wars, maybe impossible so some bad budgeting might be to blame.
Other than overstocking, didn't have Rise against the Empire as the starter pack might be the one of the biggest mistakes.

The management got greedy in thinking people would buy the less popular starter pack first and then buy the most popular figures, however, it ended up many Star Wars fans just holding in buying the starter pack.

I have some parental friends who were instantly turned off by the game when they found out they needed to unlock characters in order to play them. So for a die hard father/son Star Wars team, after the initial night of campaign...they went back to Minecraft and the Rebel figures they bought became just figures.

bread's done
Back