Disney Infinity Deals Compilation Thread Mk. II - Adios Infinity - Best Buy Flash Sale 5/20

maximumzero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
2.0_Logo.jpg

5/20/16
Best Buy Flash Sale!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/vg-20160520

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than overstocking, didn't have Rise against the Empire as the starter pack might be the one of the biggest mistakes.
The management got greedy in thinking people would buy the less popular starter pack first and then buy the most popular figures, however, it ended up many Star Wars fans just holding in buying the starter pack.
I think this is largely true, but instead I think TFA should have been included, or at least seriously hyped as THE ONLY video game based on the movie. Instead the LEGO game gets that hype and Disney Infinity dies forever. This seems like a real missed opportunity.

I actually thought the bubble would have popped a long time ago with the traveler tales Lego games, but they trudge along, seemingly forever. I have almost zero excitement for those games these days, and not because they are technically bad or anything but just due to the ridiculous degree that they have saturated the gaming market. 

So if I plan on selling what I have, should I do it as a set or individual pieces? Also is eBay the only place to really sell these things?

Though I'm sad the line isn't continuing, this is predictable like the bubble burst years ago of Guitar Hero/Rock Band. I wish all the folks at Avalanche games good luck finding new jobs. I loved some of their games prior to Disney Infinity (I LOVE playing Toy Story 3 with my son still). I think the Toys to Life trend has probably gotten too big and it's time to move on. 

I'm actually lucky that I've been bogged down by more grown up responsibilities to actually enjoy the games. Soon some of my other commitments will be done and I can actually spend some quality time with my son playing DI 1-3.

I'm just hoping that the online component of all the fan made levels remains for some time and are accessible in the future.

I'd like to know just how much of these things they thought they were going to sell. Every major retailer I go to has a ton of Infinity stuff Sounds like whoever made the sales projections needed to be fired, not the game studio.
This! From what I understand most of the loss was due to unsold inventory. Too late now but hindsight is 20/20.

I have some parental friends who were instantly turned off by the game when they found out they needed to unlock characters in order to play them. So for a die hard father/son Star Wars team, after the initial night of campaign...they went back to Minecraft and the Rebel figures they bought became just figures.
I bet your parental friends aren't much video game players themselves or they would have known buying figures is same as buying/unlocking DLC characters in almost every other video games these days (also the mobile version of DI).

Rather than that was an issue of DI, I was surprised as "die hard father/son Star Wars team", why they didn't buy the starter pack which includes at least a few hours of game play but some Rebel figures which doesn't have a play set?

I had just ordered a Jack Sparrow figure on ebay when I heard the news yesterday.  :(

Debating on what to do with my Star Wars collection, (thanks to all the sales) I probably could get near what I spent back even with the announcement on Craigslist, but I really like their artstyle.....so I may keep them. Tempted to go after the Marvel figures and a 2.0 starter set, definitely want to pick up Thor for toybox mode, and maybe Tonto. Hated the Lone Ranger movie, but that figure looks pretty neat.

Shame they shut things down before characters that should've been in 1.0 were produced like Goofy, Pluto, etc.

You gotta wonder if these things had been poseable if they would've sold better as far as the toy aspect of them goes.

Shame they shut things down before characters that should've been in 1.0 were produced like Goofy, Pluto, etc.
This was the first thing I thought about. DI was going away and we hadn't gotten the last two true "staple" characters. It was nice to get a proper Mickey in 3.0 because the sorcerer version sucked, but looking back on this years from now it will be a shame to remember that a Goofy was never produced.

I bet your parental friends aren't much video game players themselves or they would have known buying figures is same as buying/unlocking DLC characters in almost every other video games these days (also the mobile version of DI).

Rather than that was an issue of DI, I was surprised as "die hard father/son Star Wars team", why they didn't buy the starter pack which includes at least a few hours of game play but some Rebel figures which doesn't have a play set?
They have a history of gaming (WoW, Kotor, X-Wing, Wing Commander) but more PC than console so the current trends and meta aren't as know to them as whatever they were playing at the time.

My buddy got the starter pack for 360 and all the SW: Rebels hoping they could start playing as Kanan & Ezra (kinda cool, for a father son team). Now those figures are in a display case in his SW themed man cave sitting under his Darth Vader toaster, the rest (base, playset piece and boxes) in the basement collecting dust.

Edit: come to think of it, I'm going to ask him if I can borrow all the rebels that aren't on display...heh heh heh.

tbh, I thought I would be able to play Boba Fett & Kylo Ren at the start of the playset as it is implied you can play them if you buy them much like DLC characters....fortunately I'll find the coins since I'm all to familiar w/farming and collecting hidden treasures + my son doesn't care so long as he can just hold the X1 controller and pew pew pew.

This was the first thing I thought about. DI was going away and we hadn't gotten the last two true "staple" characters. It was nice to get a proper Mickey in 3.0 because the sorcerer version sucked, but looking back on this years from now it will be a shame to remember that a Goofy was never produced.
Honesty, I think the lack of some key Disney characters hurt Infinity. I like inclusion of more obscure characters, but who was itching for Tron Legacy or Yondu?

Honesty, I think the lack of some key Disney characters hurt Infinity. I like inclusion of more obscure characters, but who was itching for Tron Legacy or Yondu?
Every characters have some fans, I'm in for Tron Legacy figures and even better if they had Kevin Flynn and a Tron arcade mini game, and I just sold those 2 figures I got extra at BestBuy sales.

I don't care about the Goofy and others, I also prefer the sorcerer Mickey (I love Fantasia) than the regular, an original black and white one will be awesome though.

The franchises Disney have is just so broad that there will always be fans complaints on they didn't get what they want.

Picked up the FX Kylo Ren at BB for $8. It's going to go on sale this weekend for less, but there were only three of these left (versus tons of all the other figures) and a restock is not guaranteed. 

This! From what I understand most of the loss was due to unsold inventory. Too late now but hindsight is 20/20.
Toys come to life games are just a gaming fad like the music games were before it. DI is just the first victim but you can quote me if you want but Amiibos, Skylanders and Lego Dimensions will all go too eventually. Lego has been doing miserable since its inception and Skylanders has been slowly dying since its peak at Giants. The overproduction didn't help DI but I don't believe for a second it was the specific reason they went under, not by a longshot. The suits at DI probably crunched numbers and had enough sense to call it quits now instead of taking bigger losses later since you can't write everything off in the end.

Toys come to life games are just a gaming fad like the music games were before it. DI is just the first victim but you can quote me if you want but Amiibos, Skylanders and Lego Dimensions will all go too eventually. Lego has been doing miserable since its inception and Skylanders has been slowly dying since its peak at Giants. The overproduction didn't help DI but I don't believe for a second it was the specific reason they went under, not by a longshot. The suits at DI probably crunched numbers and had enough sense to call it quits now instead of taking bigger losses later since you can't write everything off in the end.
I can see LEGO and Amiibo survivng. I don't see any reason Nintendo would stop making Amiibo anytime soon, especially if they shifted to focus on it more as a collectable. LEGO also has a larger built in base of support, and if they start only making exclusive minifigs for Dimensions then they will sell enough to be profitable.

Picked up the FX Kylo Ren at BB for $8. It's going to go on sale this weekend for less, but there were only three of these left (versus tons of all the other figures) and a restock is not guaranteed.
FX Kylo Ren is not store exclusive, plenty of that at Target even when 40% off cartwheel

I saw a 2.0 Toy Box Starter Pack on clearance for $5 at Target today. They told me at checkout it was a pricing error though <_<
I just picked up a 2.0 toy box starter pack for Xbone at Target. It was priced not in system, lady at the register scanned it with the ipod/iphone, it came up $15.79 or $3.94 after cartwheel.

I wonder which figures will be hardest to find ... want to wait for sales, but knowing that it's Disney Infinity's final curtain is making me want to jump in and grab some characters before they disappear.

Lego was destined not to move when they released a STUPID amount of packs and the BASE PRICE for the game was $15 for a "fun pack" while the marketing does a TERRIBLE job of explaining what a Team Pack is vs a Level Pack. Plus the main game has barely been discounted compared to the others.

Tie that with the fact that a regular Lego game gets knocked down to $40-$30 quickly and usually comes with 200 playable characters.

You know, I wasn't even a huge Disney Infinity fan but I still feel sad for fans of the franchise. I actually would've been really interested in a couple of those $45 light up figures mentioned in that article. Not to mention the fact that 4.0 was going to feature a full fledged story mode sounds kinda cool. 

As for amiibos, I know the animal crossing line of amiibos kinda flopped. I think the appeal of amiibos was the fact that they were so hard to get. People prided themselves with being able to secure them in the beginning but now that their readily available everywhere, the appeal has kinda warn off. The fact that you have amiibos reaching as low as $3.99 is crazy when you think about how sought after they were in the beginning. 

I wonder which figures will be hardest to find ... want to wait for sales, but knowing that it's Disney Infinity's final curtain is making me want to jump in and grab some characters before they disappear.
OG Spider-man was already hard to find unless you caught one of the rare sales of that playset, now he's going for as high as $30 on ebay.

Where i work LEGO sells a LOT. We constantly have empty pegs due to selling out of stuff lol.
That seems different from every retailer I've seen where they have tons and tons of Dimensions just sitting there. On any given weekend at TRU you can see kids at Disney and Skylanders sections. No one is ever at Dimensions. The CAGcast has talked about this many times, Shipwreck commenting how his local stores have so much of it.

Lego was destined not to move when they released a STUPID amount of packs and the BASE PRICE for the game was $15 for a "fun pack" while the marketing does a TERRIBLE job of explaining what a Team Pack is vs a Level Pack. Plus the main game has barely been discounted compared to the others.

Tie that with the fact that a regular Lego game gets knocked down to $40-$30 quickly and usually comes with 200 playable characters.
But Legos are very functional, popular toys outside of the game. The $15 Fun pack price was too high, but you can regularly get them half off - which is very similar in price to small, similar Lego packs that have no game functionality.

So I see that Jack Skellington riding Ghost Rider's bike get's a flaming head...damn you Disney! I don't even like the driving mechanic in this game but now I have to get both.

Hulk & the Avenger's playset arrives Monday. Now I just need to wait for the Battlegrounds to go down in price.

Re: lowering the quality of the figures to save a few bucks, I think because Disney has a rep for quality they couldn't cut back enough to save the sinking ship. They look pretty damn good, even Yondu...before I got into DI I wanted to get Venom just because he looked so cool...didn't like Jack Skellington's pose so I never got him but now I might have to because of the Ghost Rider Easter Egg.

Personally I think the whole article is suspect; it's obvious there has been a demand for cross-franchise play since 1.0 and I doubt Disney willfully resisted crossover content for 3 iterations but were really planning to go all in this next time but oops, it was cancelled instead... it's easy to say now the never to be version would have been really epic, but the reality is likely it would have been a continuation of past practices.   

There is no doubt that if Disney Infinity did not die now; it would have keeled over if they were serious about $45 12-inch figures (duplicating those previously released)... that was a joke, right?

That seems different from every retailer I've seen where they have tons and tons of Dimensions just sitting there. On any given weekend at TRU you can see kids at Disney and Skylanders sections. No one is ever at Dimensions. The CAGcast has talked about this many times, Shipwreck commenting how his local stores have so much of it.
Granted a small sample but my 8 yr old son and his friends are much more into lego dimensions and infinity than skylanders.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There is no doubt that if Disney Infinity did not die now; it would have keeled over if they were serious about $45 12-inch figures (duplicating those previously released)... that was a joke, right?
“They looked fucking cool,” said a source who worked on the franchise, asking to remain anonymous.

pretty rock solid insider source there

I think LEGO collectors are more likely to buy the LEGO dimensions packs who most likely are adults who has no problem in spoiling themselves and they might not be interested in the video games at all. On the other hand, kids if not spoiled might be interested in the games but not going to buy as many packs.

“They looked fucking cool,” said a source who worked on the franchise, asking to remain anonymous.

pretty rock solid insider source there
"What aspect of the franchise did you work on?"

- "Huh? Oh...chicken."

"Chicken?"

- "Yeah, I like chicken franchise...I always order it when we go to the diner."

"err..."

- "Did I mention how @#$%'ing cool the 12 inch figures looked like?"

"Back to you Bob."

I work at a TRU. Everytime the new packs have come out we sell out almost instantly. We don't go through the starter packs very quickly, but fun packs sell like crazy, not just to adult collectors but to kids as well. :p

The new Alice figures were out at Target today. Alice looks pretty good, Time is a waste of a figure and movie cash-in, and Johnny depp's Mad Hatter has always annoyed me ... So yeah, pass.

I work at a TRU. Everytime the new packs have come out we sell out almost instantly. We don't go through the starter packs very quickly, but fun packs sell like crazy, not just to adult collectors but to kids as well. :p
Serious, I always wonder who would shop at TRU, unless anything exclusive or for its longer return policy, or they must be of different demographic who don't compare.

The regular price of Disney Infinity and Skylanders figures are always $1 more than any other stores, it's the last shop I will go or only when it has big sale (that $3 each for all 1.0 figures was nice, but sales are rare compared to others)

The new Alice figures were out at Target today. Alice looks pretty good, Time is a waste of a figure and movie cash-in, and Johnny depp's Mad Hatter has always annoyed me ... So yeah, pass.
I saw the pictures of Alice, it has very detail on her dress.

I like Johnny Depp when it's not acting as weirdo, unfortunately, he has done too many weirdo characters that I can't get those off my head.

I guess Time is there might be because of licensing or they need a villain, but I would prefer a big head Red Queen

Serious, I always wonder who would shop at TRU, unless anything exclusive or for its longer return policy, or they must be of different demographic who don't compare.
The regular price of Disney Infinity and Skylanders figures are always $1 more than any other stores, it's the last shop I will go or only when it has big sale (that $3 each for all 1.0 figures was nice, but sales are rare compared to others)
TRU is getting better with the pricing. Dimensions fun packs are now the $11.99 price and the newest stuff is releasing at MSRP

TRU is getting better with the pricing. Dimensions fun packs are now the $11.99 price and the newest stuff is releasing at MSRP
Seems like a clear indication that the just isn't selling anymore. There was a $1 tax on it because people were buying it anyway. A corporation doesn't drop their prices because they want to be nice.

bread's done
Back