DJ Hero Gen. Discussion - Get your Daft Punk masks ready!

[quote name='Redeema']I'll give it a shot, but I'm not really impressed by that song list. Scratch seems a little more appealing to me. The whole mash up thing bugs me. How about remixing with similar genres? How about give me a list of 100 songs and then letting me try to make my own mixes?

How about they just remove Hollaback Girl? WTF? Gwen Stefani? Garbage.[/QUOTE]

I am not knocking your DJ skills but do you know how bad a typical user mix would be. I would not mind the feature to but I doubt I wold use it because it would sound awful. Having a pro-DJ make a mix that works together and does not suck is a better choice IMO.

I agree with the whole Hollaback Girl....dont forget to add alot of horn when you play to make it really unbearable (referring to the gameplay videos).

[quote name='NJMane']I am not knocking your DJ skills but do you know how bad a typical user mix would be. I would not mind the feature to but I doubt I wold use it because it would sound awful. Having a pro-DJ make a mix that works together and does not suck is a better choice IMO.

I agree with the whole Hollaback Girl....dont forget to add alot of horn when you play to make it really unbearable (referring to the gameplay videos).[/QUOTE]

I concur.

Ahhh nice Satisfaction and Feel Good inc!

I really wish the turntable had more reaistNce to it. It feels flimsy. The buttons also feel cheap. And as stated before in this thread, the slider really needs to have a better way to center it. Like have it snap back to center when you let go. But also have a way to lock it to the side when there is an extended "solo."

Played it at three different locations today, two different GS' and one BB. VERY FUN! The turntables seemed daunting at first, but I got over my initial fears of embarassing myself in front of a crowd quickly and played the Hollaback girl mix.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Played it at three different locations today, two different GS' and one BB. VERY FUN! The turntables seemed daunting at first, but I got over my initial fears of embarassing myself in front of a crowd quickly and played the Hollaback girl mix.[/QUOTE]
:applause: +Self confidence

[quote name='Count']:applause: +Self confidence[/QUOTE]
*high fives*

Have you tried the guitar mashups?

I was stuck playing the turntables for the song, but it was still pretty enjoyable The kid that was on guitar sucked majorly though and we had a pretty low score.

Also, the song wasn't that great. I don't remember what it was called, it just was not that great.

Well I just spent the same price for three triple A games than I could have bought this game with, oh well. Thx TRU! I'll wait anxiously lol.

I got to try it out at my local Best Buy a few days ago and I'm pretty sure all it did was make the next two weeks feel like 20. Can't friggin' wait!

preorder bonuses? (maybe OP wants to add this stuff)

Bestbuy-Could have sworn they have one but went today and the box/unsealed dvd case didn't give me the impression that it would include anything. Web site says this upon checking once I got home: "Free Daft Punk Level Unlock. Add another crowd-rocking level to your DJ Hero experience. Just order the game, and in-pack you'll receive a code to unlock a Daft Punk level. Featuring some of the robotic duo's most rafter-rattling mixes, this is an exclusive level you won't want to miss."

Guess I shouldn't have been hesitent instore.

Also worded that it goes towards regular edition price, not renegade. Sure that's not a big deal at time of purchase however.

Gamestop- Reserve DJ Hero and receive 2 free playable song downloads. Available both online and in-store while supplies last.

Gamecrazy- Pre-order DJ Hero and receive an exclusive turntable slipmat. Offer good while supplies last.
pre_djhero.jpg

toys'r'us-none?
Amazon-Get a $10 Video Games Credit
Order DJ Hero and get $10 off a future video game purchase.....

I'm going with bestbuy but really like gamecrazy's bonus, though I see other mats released like the slew of faceplates and straps for our plastic guitars.

[quote name='KingDox']Damn it looks like the intro cinematic came out today. It's pretty bad ass, and I kinda wish the game had some crazy over the top DJ universe where you played to save the princess or something.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Joystiq/videos/2211/0.627

I really dig the way the Stylus is used as some huge ship in the intro. Great design.[/QUOTE]

Yea I dug it too, reminded me of the Gorillaz's music video for Feel Good Inc., maybe it was the flying similarities part.

As for the controller, you know they'll come out with new better turn tables for DJ Hero 2 and 3 lol.

Anyone here play the demo? My local Best Buy had it. I played three songs.

My short review: DJ Hero is made of win.

edit: Guess some of you did play it glancing through the topic. My review still stands.

[quote name='jonathanp']
edit: Guess some of you did play it glancing through the topic. My review still stands.[/QUOTE]

I endorse your review and petition for it to be a quote on the box.

I played this at BB. I sucked royally at it but its just a new game mechanic I can learn. The slider felt a little cheap however. It needs to be more rigid.

[quote name='mcgavin27']I played this at BB. I sucked royally at it but its just a new game mechanic I can learn. The slider felt a little cheap however. It needs to be more rigid.[/QUOTE]

I believe the Renegade version is the one to get since the buttons and crossfader are metal.

I'm not probably going to pick one up until after the holidays to try to get a nice deal on one.

I almost preordered the Renegade Edition. Thankfully, I finally got to play the kiosk demo first. Overall, the game was cool, but my hand started to cramp by the end of the first song. By the end of the second song, I was in real pain.

I guess I'm incompatible with the controller. I even tried positions where my wrist didn't bend, but the pain didn't stop. (BTW: I have severe issues with normal/horizontal computer mice; I must use vertical mice.)

My friend refuses to try the kiosk because he wants his first experience to be genuine. Don't be dumb like that. Try the kiosk.

I'm very interested in this game, but I probably won't get it until closer to Christmas time. I should be able to get it for free by then with the Amazon credit I'm able to earn. I'm also interested in seeing how the peripheral holds up. I'm a little worried by some of the comments that have been made regarding the x-fader. At any rate, I just got into Rockband, so I can definitely wait on playing DJ Hero.

I really want this game, but lack the $100 for it after my haul today (Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend, LBP GOTY, Fallout 3 GOTY).

Going to try to sell some stuff to get this though...I think it's going to be a sick game, sporting the schweetest controller of all time!

For everyone one who is getting this: what side will you have the "mixer"?

I'm going to have to put the mixer on the right.

[quote name='KingDox']For everyone one who is getting this: what side will you have the "mixer"?

I'm going to have to put the mixer on the right.[/QUOTE]

If by "mixer" you mean turntable, I would have it on the right with the crossfader on the left.

That's how it was set up at BB, and I was comfortable playing that way.

[quote name='jonathanp']If by "mixer" you mean turntable, I would have it on the right with the crossfader on the left.

That's how it was set up at BB, and I was comfortable playing that way.[/QUOTE]

Same for me.

Played it at best buy, and it was great. I absolutely love the mixes, they all sound great. I wish the crossfader wasn't so loose, I thought it was broken at first. I know they are supposed to be a little loose, I've used real ones before, but it seemed especially slick and like it would snap off any second.

Ooooooh tv commercials.

@dallow and everyone else here. I'll be getting it from bestbuy and am looking to start a share group like day1 (for ps3 obviously). I know this isn't exactly the correct thread but figured I'd throw it out there while posting.

EDIT-upon scanning the blogs comments, some one suggested these guys be in the game...I agree!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMYMC6atRoE
This one almost seems to be a daft punk tribute (it just has that interstella 5555 look and sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ICcz6kXP0&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Japakneez']oh damn. 2 Turntable mode is not in DJ Hero 1. Confirmed in the very first questions here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-LNFRJH_9E&feature=player_embedded[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting that. I figured since it was activision there has to be a part 2 or DJ Hero: Hip Hop or DJ Hero: Trance edition to come out down the line. I love how he keeps calling it DJ Hereo "one".

So I'm defiantly holding off till I can find it for a decent discount on it.

UPDATE:

So I played the demo at TRU and I was not impressed. I didn't hate the game but it didn't click for me like Guitar Hero did.

Maybe it was the song but I never go into it. Getting the cross fader from left to right to middle to left to middle...and so on didn't seem that fun to me. Honestly mixing with serato is more fun. And I already own that so I'm now seeing even more reason to wait till I can find this cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shadowkast']pretty decent reviews (finally) up at metacritic.com[/QUOTE]

very good considering this is from the UK and its some of the higher profile review sites.

IGN UK
Hands-down, it's the most exciting, refreshing music game we've played in ages and, whether on or off the decks, DJ Hero succeeds admirably in its goal to bring people together to party - and isn't that what music's all about?
Read Full Review >

Games Master UK
In all it's a great package, and even if you're only vaguely into the kind of music on offer, you'll get weeks of fun out of it. [Dec 2009, p.59]

PSM3 Magazine UK
Overall polished to near-perfection, this is the next step in music games. [Dec 2009, p.84]

IGN
In an overcrowded genre of music games, DJ Hero resides at the very top with the best of 'em. The original mixes are stunning and scratching the turntable is just as fun as it seems.

[quote name='nogglefish']Can anyone confirm if the controller is wired vs. wireless? I can't seem to find an answer.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
When I tried it out at my GS and BB it was wired, but it may be different for the Renegade version.

If I had the money, I'd get this game today. However, it looks like I'll be getting it around Christmas time. All the reviews so far have been great. Metacritic has 4 posted, but there are a few more you can find if you Google "DJ Hero review".

will target carry the renegade edition? the website says it doesn't - but it also says it won't have the regular edition (which i know they will have)

I just got my renegade edition from Amazon and have a question for those who also got this edition....

Was you carrying case/stand dinged, scratched and/or warped? Both the outside shipping box and the outside box were in fairly good condition but the carrying case inside has scratches, dings and the metal is not straight. I already have a replacement coming from amazon but wanted to see if others are "damaged".

Also, were your batteries just loose in the package?

I sucked when I played the game at TRU, but there's no denying I find the game very interesting and the music rocks. As much as I dislike Activision, this is a game I feel they deserve my money for.

I got this. I am enjoying it quite a bit. It is very fun to play however some one the mixes are not that good and the graphics and background animations look a little rushed. Well worth the $66 I spent through Amazon deals for it but that's about it.

I really have no complaints with the game thus far. About half way through the track list and have only come across one song that I don't care for at all. So much awesome stuff in this game music wise. The Daft Punk mixes are insanely great. I had high hopes for the game and they've been destroyed in light of the game being even better than I thought it was going to be.

I played it a BB the other day (once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fun).

If you haven't already pre-ordered it. I'd seriously consider waiting.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6237976.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;6

Pre-order sales not as great as expected. 61% is astounding since most would order this online with credits and rewards, for the free shipping and/or depending where you live, no tax!

I'd expect a price drop soon (61% is telling me at this time, they are not even close to their sales projections).

I think that projections dropping by 61% is less interesting than projections dropping by 1 million units. That said, they dropped it to 600k copies. Which is still a lot of copies.

Also, if you read the update, they point out that pre-order numbers aren't always a great indicator. So I don't think this article makes a price drop any more likely.

oh my god wtf were they smoking thinking it could do 2.5 million :rofl:

Even 600k is alot...if it can do that i would think of it as a good starting point. This game is alot of fun but it just doesn't seem like a mainstream casual type of game. The interface is too difficult for that audience. Its completely fine for me though. I'm starting off on expert and having a blast playing it. Directional scratches and crossfades feel really good. Game is alot of fun and totally different from beatmania :mrgreen:

I'm a bit bummed to find the DLC being essentially $3 a track at this point. :( Especially since I want that Gorillaz one so bad.

Shame this game isn't selling well.

Game is a pretty decent challenge in hard mode and very refreshing :D.... As a beatmania IIDX fan I must say Konami you fail.

too bad it's a pity that the game doesnt seem to be selling well.

I picked up on launch day. I like it so far, my only complaint is the crossfader. It is hard to use when you have to go all the way to right to left quickly. But I really like the setlist.
@superfro33- Your right 3 dollars a song is way to much.

bread's done
Back