DJ Hero - Gen. Discussion & Info - Out 10.27.09

menikmati

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
Wasn't interested until I saw the video review. Didn't know it was going to turn out that well, but looks like it did! Might have to get it.

anyone have any info on the tracklist to the CD that comes with the Renegade Edition? It says unreleased Eminem and Jay-Z tracks..

Probably Renegade maybe? :p

No idea though, I wanna buy it but no money till the 20th cause of the wife's new job. Hopefully somebody will have a awesome black Friday sale for it. But it's a buy ever since I demo'd it at Toys R Us.

anyone know where to download (legally or otherwise) the new remixes/music from the original game? PM me with info if its the latter.

also, here is the tracklist for the bonus renegade cd

album_thumb.jpg

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/12049-dj-hero-renegade-edition-cd-track-list-detailed/
* Ain't No N***a - JAY-Z Featuring Foxy Brown
* Where I’m From - JAY-Z
* Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem) - JAY-Z
* Jigga My N***a - Ruff Ryders Featuring JAY-Z
* I Just Wanna Love U (Give it 2 Me) - JAY-Z
* Izzo (H.O.V.A.) - JAY-Z
* 03’ Bonnie & Clyde - JAY-Z Featuring Beyoncé Knowles
* Dirt Off Your Shoulder - JAY-Z
* Show Me What You Got - JAY-Z
* Roc Boys (And the Winner Is)… - JAY-Z
* Brooklyn Go Hard - JAY-Z Featuring Santigold
* D.O.A. (Death of Auto Tune) - JAY-Z
* Taking My Ball - EMINEM (New!)
* Say Goodbye to Hollywood - EMINEM
* Soldier - EMINEM
* The Re-Up - EMINEM & 50 Cent
* Rabbit Run - EMINEM
* Get U Mad - EMINEM
* Bad Guys Always Die - Dr. Dre & EMINEM
* Public Enemy No. 1 - EMINEM
* Say What You Say - EMINEM Featuring Dr. Dre
* Lose Yourself - EMINEM
* Hey Lady - Obie Trice Featuring EMINEM
* One Shot 2 Shot - EMINEM Featuring D-12

[quote name='DestroVega']anyone have any info on the tracklist to the CD that comes with the Renegade Edition? It says unreleased Eminem and Jay-Z tracks..[/QUOTE]

Heres the full track listing. Jay-Z is nothing but greatest hits and Eminem included 1 previously unreleased song and the rest are hand picked by Eminem to be included.

• Ain't No N***a - JAY-Z Featuring Foxy Brown
  • Where I’m From - JAY-Z
  • Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem) - JAY-Z
  • Jigga My N***a - Ruff Ryders Featuring JAY-Z
  • I Just Wanna Love U (Give it 2 Me) - JAY-Z
  • Izzo (H.O.V.A.) - JAY-Z
  • 03’ Bonnie & Clyde - JAY-Z Featuring Beyoncé Knowles
  • Dirt Off Your Shoulder - JAY-Z
  • Show Me What You Got - JAY-Z
  • Roc Boys (And the Winner Is)… - JAY-Z
  • Brooklyn Go Hard - JAY-Z Featuring Santigold
  • D.O.A. (Death of Auto Tune) - JAY-Z
  • Taking My Ball - EMINEM (New!)
  • Say Goodbye to Hollywood - EMINEM
  • Soldier - EMINEM
  • The Re-Up - EMINEM & 50 Cent
  • Rabbit Run - EMINEM
  • Get U Mad - EMINEM
  • Bad Guys Always Die - Dr. Dre & EMINEM
  • Public Enemy No. 1 - EMINEM
  • Say What You Say - EMINEM Featuring Dr. Dre
  • Lose Yourself - EMINEM
  • Hey Lady - Obie Trice Featuring EMINEM
  • One Shot 2 Shot - EMINEM Featuring D-12

Amazon has shipped by Renegade Edition and I will have it tomorrow. On a side note UPS has the product weight as "37 lbs" so hopefully that is good news of the briefcase/stand quality. For $6.99 out of pocket after the 50% coupon, ECA discounts, and $50 in trade-in credit I cannot complain. The reviews make me think I made a good choice for my use of the coupon.

I have interest in the game, but not in spending $120 on it. I'll be looking for deals this shopping season.

Very impressive reviews so far.

I've been interested since the announcement of Daft Punk, but I think $120 is too steep to justify it with the wife. I'll wait until it goes on sale in a few months.

[quote name='NJMane']
Amazon has shipped by Renegade Edition and I will have it tomorrow. On a side note UPS has the product weight as "37 lbs" so hopefully that is good news of the briefcase/stand quality. For $6.99 out of pocket after the 50% coupon, ECA discounts, and $50 in trade-in credit I cannot complain. The reviews make me think I made a good choice for my use of the coupon.[/QUOTE]

My regular edition is weighing in at 6 pounds, and I also used my 50% off coupon, ECA, and Gold Box/DJHERO10.

Plus, we're getting $10 credit back.

I'm more interested in the Daft Punk mixes than the actual game. The game looks great, but I can't justify spending 120 dollars on it, especially when I got the Rock Band Special edition for the same price. When it's less than 80 dollars I'll be all over it though.

Are they going to sell just the soundtrack?

Mine should be here from Amazon on Wednesday, I'm really excited. I got the regular edition. I liked the idea of the stand for the Renegade edition but it's too expensive.

I should be getting mine tomorrow from Amazon. I'm interested in the game but I do kinda need money now, I could quickly sell it on Ebay for at least $100 and pick it up later when it gets cheaper. Decisions, decisions.

Playing the demo helped me choose not to get it. It never gets too difficult, or fun for that matter. It just didn't have the same appeal that Guitar Hero did for me. I'd buy the soundtrack, but not the game.

I've been interested in this game since hearing Jeff Gerstman of Giant Bomb gush about it since he first played it a long time ago, after he (and everyone else in the game press it seems) ripped this game for seeming to be a Guitar Hero cashin. The soundtrack is so good, and the game looks really fun to play. I'm going to head up to Best Buy with a friend sometime this week and see if it's for me. It's definitely way too expensive, so I'll be waiting until it hits the $60-$80 range.

mine should be at home too... i think i ended up paying $35 amazon credit for the renegade edition with ~7 stacked promos.
can't wait to leave work and scratch it up!

edit: it should support all the guitars i think.

I got this today after amazon promotions. I played for a good two hours. It is quite fun to play, although I find a good percentage of the mixes to just be bad. I need to play some more.

I picked it up today from Best Buy. I was able to put a couple hours into it. I love it. The mash-ups sound really good, and the turntable controller is really fun to use.

Why do they call it the Renegade edition and then not put "Renegade" on the bonus CDs? I think that's a little odd. And which DJs are you hoping to unlock?

[quote name='equest943']And which DJs are you hoping to unlock?[/QUOTE]

classic DJs outside of Grandmaster Flash like Bambaataa, Grand Mixer DST, Grand Wizard Theodore, Kool Herc, Caz, Bobbito García, Double Dee & Steinski, 45 King, DJ Tony Tone, DJ Pogo, DJ Polo etc etc etc

edit: not hip hop but hell, the douche bag that is Green Velvet would be interesting. Make sure its what he looked like when he first hit came out as Green Velvet with the gay ass green spikes and tight black leotard.

I'm waiting for a price drop, even Activision said they expect it to sell slowly. I picked up beatmania for 15 bucks new so I'm sure I'll be able to find a great deal on this if I wait long enough.

My brother picked it up today at Best Buy for the Daft Punk track. Watched him play it for about an hour, seemed really cool. I have a nice surround sound setup and it sounded awesome.

I Think playing DJ Hero only real complaints I can muster from the game is...

-The menu's are a clusterfuck. Like a million choices of what to do (most of it locked), but no quickplay option and do I really need two options to make my own setlist?
-The character designs are hideous (I should expect this by now from any current Hero games).
-The red voice sample button is incredibly obnoxious. As in it gives GH:WT/GH: Metallica's drum and vocal fills a run for their money in developers saying "please, ruin this song."
-When mash ups are bad, they're horribad (Riahnna, Gwen Stefani and Eminem all sounded shitty). Plus oh look, get to hear them a couple more times with different artists.

Good:
+FINALLY a good RedOctane peripheral since the days they worked with Harmonix.
+When mash ups are good, they're worth playing (anything with Blondie's "Rapture" and David Bowie mashed with 50 Cent is surprisingly good).
+It seems more tailored gameplay wise to people who have played hard/expert on Rock Band and Guitar Hero so kinda fits in well with it all.

Oh and Renegade edition besides cosmetically has more of a click for the crossfader versus normal edition, but it collects handprints waaay too easily versus normal edition.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Think playing DJ Hero only real complaints I can muster from the game is...

-The menu's are a clusterfuck. Like a million choices of what to do (most of it locked), but no quickplay option and do I really need two options to make my own setlist?
-The character designs are hideous (I should expect this by now from any current Hero games).
-The red voice sample button is incredibly obnoxious. As in it gives GH:WT/GH: Metallica's drum and vocal fills a run for their money in developers saying "please, ruin this song."
-When mash ups are bad, they're horribad (Riahnna, Gwen Stefani and Eminem all sounded shitty). Plus oh look, get to hear them a couple more times with different artists.

Good:
+FINALLY a good RedOctane peripheral since the days they worked with Harmonix.
+When mash ups are good, they're worth playing (anything with Blondie's "Rapture" and David Bowie mashed with 50 Cent is surprisingly good).
+It seems more tailored gameplay wise to people who have played hard/expert on Rock Band and Guitar Hero so kinda fits in well with it all.

Oh and Renegade edition besides cosmetically has more of a click for the crossfader versus normal edition, but it collects handprints waaay too easily versus normal edition.[/QUOTE]

There is a quickplay option. It is the Custom Setlist option. Pick one (or as many) songs from it and go. Granted, I also agree I don't know why there are two of them.

The only negatives for me so far are
1) how touchy the crossfader is. I messed up a chunk because I don't get it all the way back in the middle correctly so when I try to go the opposite direction it doesn't go all the way over. I have the regular edition.
2) Also, I agree that the menu system is confusing and jumbled together.
3) My hand tires out after a couple of sets :(

As for the characters, I didn't find them as hideous as the ones that appear in the Guitar Hero games.

Besides that, I have been happy with a good chunk of the mixes. They are fun. Granted some of them really kill me with the crossfader.

On a side note, I didn't find Hard mode to be that much harder than Medium where in guitar hero it was a bigger step up.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pete5883']What do you mean "more of a click?" It's easier to stop it in the middle?[/QUOTE]
Basically. Alot more easier to center it, like it's subtle, but going back and forth between the normal edition you notice it after awhile.
[quote name='lordopus99']There is a quickplay option. It is the Custom Setlist option. Pick one (or as many) songs from it and go. Granted, I also agree I don't know why there are two of them.

The only negatives for me so far are
1) how touchy the crossfader is. I messed up a chunk because I don't get it all the way back in the middle correctly so when I try to go the opposite direction it doesn't go all the way over. I have the regular edition.
2) Also, I agree that the menu system is confusing and jumbled together.
3) My hand tires out after a couple of sets :(

As for the characters, I didn't find them as hideous as the ones that appear in the Guitar Hero games.

Besides that, I have been happy with a good chunk of the mixes. They are fun. Granted some of them really kill me with the crossfader.

On a side note, I didn't find Hard mode to be that much harder than Medium where in guitar hero it was a bigger step up.[/QUOTE]
I Think it's just personal preference for me on the art direction of the "Hero" games after Guitar Hero III. Just feels a bit too much like a bad CG cash in movie as in too much in your face attitude, but that's just me.

As for difficulty, totally. I Kinda attribute the jump in playing from medium to hard in so quick a time to Rock Band and Guitar Hero games. Though the jump to expert in this one I feel is a huge bitch (which is a good thing in something to strive for), finding out which direction to scratch and more of the quick crossfade bursts are kinda intimidating.

Overall though, I came into the game not liking the demo at all, but I think more so it was just majority of music on it I didn't like.

Only thing I'm having trouble with are the crossfade sections where it goes from side to side with parts where it has to be in the center for a second. If I overshoot the center then I have no reference for where the crossfader is without looking at it.

I picked up this game last night too and put in about two hours of play. I love it so far and expert seems like a real challenge - at least for now. It's the first rhythm game since beatmania where I couldn't just jump to the expert mode and do well. I think it's about as good an approximation of the dj experience outside of the Cracklin' DJ series which was pretty much spot on. Here are my quick +/-'s:

+
1. Despite being ohhh, 5-6 years late on the whole "mashup" thing, it works relatively well as a concept.
2. Not all of the mashups are great but there aren't any I hate and reusing some of the songs doesn't wind up being that bad.
3. The peripheral feels solid and is pretty responsive overall (except for the fader - see below)
4. It's a DJ game so I'm in
5. If they make some good DLC then this is a HUGE plus for me.

-
1. WTF menu system
2. Finicky cross fader. It's really frustrating when you can't get it to the center. Sometimes it'll either not go close enough to the center and others it flies over to the other tracks. It also isn't smooth enough to do the little spikes.
3. I like the note highway overall but there's something about the shape of the scratch arrows that throws me off sometimes and I go the wrong way - maybe it's just me
4. Too many button presses. You just aren't doing that while djing and it's not a beatmania game. I think the scratching/fading aspects are much better.
5. As someone said earlier, those stupid ass samples add NOTHING to the gameplay and are mostly obnoxious.

I created a thread last night after receiving my Renegade Edition from Amazon and wanted to get input from other Renegade purchasers. I am less than satisfied with the quality (mainly case/stand issues) and so are other CAG members. Rather then re-explain the issues just click the link below to go to the thread:

>>>> LINK

Oh one other complaint is the button turntable buttons feel a bit stiff or hard. Like when you have to press it repeatedly it felt like it wasn't responding fast enough when I know I pressed it down.

And sorry to hear about the damaged Renegade bundle. My friend's was fine out the box (as far as we could tell).

Okay - I got the game yesterday like I said - amazon release date delivery (Awesome btw). The controller is pretty well made and works well with some issues with the crossfader). Yes, the menu system is a bit conveluted but overall I have to tip my hat to the developers for making a fun and well crafted game.

I had some serious fun playing for about 3 hours last night and am itching to go back.

Conceptually I was surprised at how well they implemented the 1s and 2s...crossfader does a decent job of emulating/simulating 2 turntables.

Verdict: A-

PS: Any word on the Rock Band controller being compatible?

Picked this up today.

I am huge hip hop and pop fan so the music is really great, and the mash-ups aren't just thrown together. I like the turntables seems really well made and thought out..it seems like they can't really add much to it, which is good. I think that when the sequels come (knowing Activison they will) you won't really need to update the turntables.

My only complaint on this game is the crossfader needs more click so you know where it is.
Ok and the character designs are ugly but that matters less to me.

very nice game indeed, too bad it doesnt seem to be selling well. at least maybe that means more cheap renegade editions for me to get a 2nd turntable and that stand in the future.

Yea it is a shame that this is probably not going to sell well and as far as I can tell seeing only a few missing on shelves a day and half after the release.

It's a completely different beast from rock band and guitar hero. Hopefully it sells well enough to get a sequel and a decent amount of DLC. Otherwise this will just show the music game companies that it's not worth trying to innovate, and we keep seeing the easy develop always decent selling RB and GH games over and over.

Bought it yesterday at 9am, got off work about 2:30pm and haven't been able to stop playing since. When I do it's Borderlands with my roommate. If your heavily interested in the music scene whether it be hip hop, rock, or electronica, there is something here for everyone. Amazing game and here's to hoping that some expansions / DLC comes out soon!

[quote name='Nealocus123']Bought it yesterday at 9am, got off work about 2:30pm and haven't been able to stop playing since. When I do it's Borderlands with my roommate. If your heavily interested in the music scene whether it be hip hop, rock, or electronica, there is something here for everyone. Amazing game and here's to hoping that some expansions / DLC comes out soon![/QUOTE]

There is literally a mix for everyone in this game. I don't listen to hip hop/pop and I found the mashups to be both fun to listen to and play.

Also, there was supposedly supposed to be Day #1 DLC in an interview lead by Giant Bomb, but nothing is in the Music Store yet.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/a180451/first-dj-hero-dlc-revealed.html

"Activision has unveiled the first downloadable content for its upcoming rhythm action title DJ Hero.

The David Guetta track pack will contain 'When Love Takes Over' featuring Kelly Rowland, 'Sexy Bitch' featuring Akon, and 'On The Dance Floor' featuring members of the Black Eyed Peas."

I don't know any of these songs, and I hate the Black Eyed Peas, but I'll give anything a shot.

I got this game last night from Amazon and played a few setlists. I really like this game. I've been doing the setlists on medium to make sure I get 5 stars, and then going back in quickplay and doing the songs on hard.

For those that have played both, how does this compare to Beatmania in terms of difficulty? I like Beatmania, but I find it insanely difficult. I want a game that is much easier. :)

I've never played Beatmania, but it seems to me like Beatmania and DJ Hero are two entirely different games that happen to get compared to one another because they both have a platter (or whatever the correct term is).

[quote name='crunchewy']For those that have played both, how does this compare to Beatmania in terms of difficulty? I like Beatmania, but I find it insanely difficult. I want a game that is much easier. :)[/QUOTE]
It's really nothing like Beatmania since the game on higher difficulties is more dependent on the crossfader if anything. Plus it never feels like a long seizure like line of notes are coming down your way like Beatmania (since only 3 buttons on this). So I'd say a bit easier, but it's hard to compare still.

bread's done
Back