DK: King of Swing $19.99 @ Best Buy

Not universal yet... might be Best Buy just randomly marking down excess stock again.

The fact that the Gamespy review was pretty decent, and it reminded the reviewer of Clu Clu Land (a personal favorite) means I will pick this up tommorrow for $15 after GGC.

This game is even full of unlockables!!

thanks op, hopefully my bb will have some in stock on tuesday when i get down there

i'd just buy it online, but bb sucks at sending out gba games...the boxes are always smashed beyond recognition

[quote name='BrandonMills']Ugh....TERRIBLE game.

Not worth $20, not worth $10...Hell, not worth $5 :p[/QUOTE]

Still got your copy? :) Maybe for....one meeeeellyun dollars?

i played the demo and i sucked hardcore...haha now i sound like some kind of noob...i guess i'll give it one more shot at the demo to see if i actually like the damn game...last time i played, i hated it...a lot...

[quote name='Roufuss']Not universal yet... might be Best Buy just randomly marking down excess stock again.

The fact that the Gamespy review was pretty decent, and it reminded the reviewer of Clu Clu Land (a personal favorite) means I will pick this up tommorrow for $15 after GGC.

This game is even full of unlockables!![/QUOTE]

damn rouf...you have been spending a LOT of money lately havent you? :D

[quote name='BrandonMills']Ugh....TERRIBLE game.

Not worth $20, not worth $10...Hell, not worth $5 :p[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I played the Japanese version. When I heard the US release was delayed, I thought, "I bet I know why."

[quote name='BIG5']Agreed. I played the Japanese version. When I heard the US release was delayed, I thought, "I bet I know why."[/QUOTE]

Could you guys who hated it elaborate a little? Most reviews have been positive, but you must have a reason you don't like the game. I admit I'm tempted by the $15 pricetag, but I don't want to spend it on a bad game if I can help it.

Just go and check out the demo. It's still in a lot of the demo kiosks around my area, if they haven't already been overrun by the mario tennis demo.

It's a really weird control scheme...hard to get used to the 'shoulders only' control scheme. But for $15? I'm down.

It got a 73% score on gamerankings. $15 makes this about right. Now, if only Dynasty Warriors would drop in price....

This is one of my favorite GBA games. It's not terribley complex, but it's a unique and refreshing game design. It feels like a great older style arcade/platformer game, but with innovative game mechanics.

It's starts out pretty easy, but it gets pretty difficult towards the end, especially if you try to collect all of the well-hidden bonuses.

[quote name='swetooth9']damn rouf...you have been spending a LOT of money lately havent you? :D[/QUOTE]

Haha, I don't even have a job right now, which makes it worse :D

I actually quite enjoyed the time I spent with the demo. I played for at least 10 minutes once while bored waiting for my friend.

Picked it up Saturday coincidentally, at the Wilmington DE store. It was priced correctly, but it seemed they were updating the stickers while I was there. Someone said it wasn't universal...perhaps some of the stores are just slow to remark.

I liked this game quite a bit. It is a refreshingly different game to pop in when you are sick of rpgs and platformers.

It is not the deepest game, but the play mechanics kind of grow on you after a while. The momentum that DK gets when you let go is quite entertaining as you plan your next grab.

Good game here for $15.

[quote name='Roufuss']Haha, I don't even have a job right now, which makes it worse :D[/QUOTE]

We're in the same boat, Roufuss... like swetooth9, I also noticed you've been buying a lot of games and spending a lot of time here posting at CAG.

I always see this DK game at BB on their GBA SP kiosks... this game looks interesting even though I never picked up and play it... .. maybe I'm just impressed because it's on of those new GBA SP's with a BRIGHTER screen.

[quote name='sabin23']We're in the same boat, Roufuss... like swetooth9, I also noticed you've been buying a lot of games and spending a lot of time here posting at CAG.
[/QUOTE]

An intervention sounds like it's in the works :p

I decided to pick it up. If nothing else, I'm interested to see how far they can go with the design and keep it interesting. I'm trying my hand at PSP homebrew, so simple concepts that go a long way are of interest to me.

I went to the Oceanside, CA BB, and I think someone here might have been there before me. DK rang up at $29.99, but I had seen the bin tag and it was clearly $19.99. But the cashier said that she told someone else earlier that 19.99 was the wrong price.

I asked if she'd go with me to the GBA section to look at the tag. She did, and then she had to write something down on her hand, then manually adjust the price back at the register.

I bought two items -- the game and a CD. Both rang up as the wrong price. Then the GGC scanned, but didn't take. She had to void the whole transaction, ring everything up again, override both item prices, then manually get the coupon to work.

Still, can't complain about the end price :D Thanks OP!

at least it's nice to see someone with as bad of a game-hunting addiction as me. shit i got more games than i could play in 2 lifetimes and i still hunt out stuff. my latest kick is import ps2 shmups (lord have mercy).

p.s. i am really looking hard for a keio flying squadron US version if anyone wants to make some $ selling theirs.

[quote name='Roufuss']Haha, I don't even have a job right now, which makes it worse :D[/QUOTE]

I want this game so bad! Damn! No Best Buy for 50+ miles. Online shows $29.99 and like someone already mentioned, it will come crushed to pancake like proportions.

[quote name='b3b0p']I want this game so bad! Damn! No Best Buy for 50+ miles. Online shows $29.99 and like someone already mentioned, it will come crushed to pancake like proportions.[/QUOTE]

Yea... you're right. What the hell?

It was $19.99 online last night... what's the deal?

Was going to get it tommorrow, oh well though, as evidenced by this thread I don't need anymore games :lol:

[quote name='blandstalker']Could you guys who hated it elaborate a little? Most reviews have been positive, but you must have a reason you don't like the game. I admit I'm tempted by the $15 pricetag, but I don't want to spend it on a bad game if I can help it.[/QUOTE]

The first warning should be that most review sites are giving a Nintendo game an 'average' rating. Nintendo games usually almost always get an upper rating, and 7/10 from sites that normally give them 8 or 9 should be your red flag.

The reason I hate it? It's gimmicky, and its just plain not fun to me. I guess some people don't think the game is THAT bad, but only quality games are worth my time, and DK - King of Swing, is not that game. It's more like a minigame that got blown out of proportion.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/review/920791.html

It's one of those quirky games that you either need to love it or you will end up hating it. It's definitely unique, but for me personally, this game blows since the AI in the game usually beats me easy while I'm fiddling with the damn L and R buttons.

It's not the worst game ever made, but the fun Vs. frustrating scale definitely leans towards: I'll never touch it again after playing it at the kiosk for 5 minutes.

The Twister mini-game in Mario Tennis (Power Tour GBA) is more intriguing than this game.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I'm somewhat interested in this. Would anyone say it would be hard to play on a Micro?[/QUOTE]

I think it would be well suited to the micro. I was planning to specifically play it on the micro, actually. you don't need to use other buttons besides the shoulders (at least I think -- only played the demo myself), so you can rest the micro on your thumbs since you aren't otherwise using them. Plus the micro shoulder buttons depress less/require less pressure than the gba shoulder buttons, reducing finger fatigue.

The deal is that from last week's ad Dogz was in short supply from the game's supplier so as a replacement ad item, best buy chose DK King of Swing to be $19.99 for 1 week as a substitution. Now that last week's sale is over, it is no longer on sale or being substituted.

I tried to get it but it had gone back up to $29.99 mid week. WTF? Sure, I could use the $10 off $29.99 coupon but I was going to use the $5 GGC coupon for $14.99. :(

bread's done
Back