Do any CAGs cook?

I really don't think I could ever get myself to cook. I have a very picky appetite, and most homemade things aren't on it, I really wish I would eat healthier though.... (i have Mcdonalds like 5 times a week, and some assorted junkfood with good meals only a few times a week.)

i'm korean and there are many different ways to spice up a bag of ramen. if you know what kim chi, you're off to a good start. i make a mean pot of gumbo, but that shit ain't cheap at all. 40 bucks minimum for fresh ingredients and a good sample of seafood and/or sausages. to do a pot of gumbo up right you're looking at 80+ bucks. i'm talking 5 gallons of teh good chit.

I cook on a pretty regular basis. I actually like cooking, but I typically get all stressed out cuz I am still not very good at meal planning and inevitably something finishes too early while I wait for the rest of the food.

[quote name='Snowcone']I cook on a pretty regular basis. I actually like cooking, but I typically get all stressed out cuz I am still not very good at meal planning and inevitably something finishes too early while I wait for the rest of the food.[/quote]

Put your oven around 200 and keep the finished stuff warm in there...as long as other stuff doesn't take an exorbitant amount of time to finish, you'll be able to plate everything at the end, still steaming.

The microwave also keeps heat well and so you could leave things there (temporarily) also.

[quote name='O-Dog'][quote name='Snowcone']I cook on a pretty regular basis. I actually like cooking, but I typically get all stressed out cuz I am still not very good at meal planning and inevitably something finishes too early while I wait for the rest of the food.[/quote]

Put your oven around 200 and keep the finished stuff warm in there...as long as other stuff doesn't take an exorbitant amount of time to finish, you'll be able to plate everything at the end, still steaming.

The microwave also keeps heat well and so you could leave things there (temporarily) also.[/quote]

Sometimes its the things in the oven I am waiting on. I am sooo buying a new Kenmore oven with 2 oven doors.

I love cooking, and I'm actually considering enrolling into a culinary school to become a chef. One of my specialties is Lasagna, and for parties I usually make egg rolls and popcorn shrimp.

[quote name='trustcompany1013']i think everyone cooks....hence survival[/quote]

This is very true, but there is a difference between cooking because you have to survive, and cooking WELL and enjoying it. :)

I love to cook and would have to admit that I'm pretty darn good at it. I don't really cook like a cheapass, though, because there are some ingredients and a certain quality of ingredients that I can't live without that you have to pay a little extra for.

Anyway, for all of you cooks, here is a questions.

Emeril Lagasse - Idiot or Genius

I say Idiot.

i like to cook, then she has no problems doing the dishes

i also get to cook mostly what I like, we get steak at least once a week and I get to load everything with garlic

I am a pretty good cook, but I only do so on special occasions because I'm lazy. Usually I just settle for microwave junk food.

When I do cook I love to make fried rice and stir fry. I try to be like the chefs at those Japanese restaurants that cook in front of you. I also enjoy firing up the grill.

I say that Emeril is a total idiot. The only redeeming value he has is that he uses a lot of garlic. Other than that, total short bus rider

Iron Chef is where it's at. I love that show. :D

Emeril loses steam really fast. That "Bam" line got old a long time ago. I wouldn't say he's an idiot. I ate at two of his restaurants and the food was wonderful and so was the decor and service.

A real idiot is Mr. Bobby "Corn" Flay. Aside from him being a pompous jerk, all he does is make the same stuff on the grill and change one or two ingredients.

The way Emeril cooks on TV I can't imagine how his food isn't terribly overseasoned. It is like he wants to taste just the salt, pepper, and garlic and is trying to cover up everything else.

And you are so right about "Bam". Argh. Don't forget "Use your knob", "I don't know where you get your (.......), where I get mine it don't come seasoned", "Call your local cable company and ask for smell-o-vision", etc.

Well I know this is one hell of an old topic, but I was thinking on this also if any CAG can cook and it's about 2:45 in the morning and I am getting hungry. So I might as well post something here.

Normally I don't like to cook much because of the stench well it's a good smell, but you don't want to walk around all day smelling like food.

I can cook the easy stuff like stir fry, eggrolls, spring rolls, fried rice and chicken, spaghetti. But the asian soups are a bit tricky to try. Like this one curry soup damn it's so good, just hard to make IMO. I think Emeril's food would be great but him himself is just eh.. he's an "entertainer" and eh I suppose an idiot at times.

It's cool to see CAG eat ramen, great stuff ^_^. At my school it's about #1.25 a cup sucha rip off.

I like to cook. I think that spaghetti is along the bottom of ladder of cooking in terms of skill, above eggs and ramen. I can make a mean rice porridge with chicken. I like experimenting with ingredients that are unusual (soda, beer, certain fruits) and it doesn't always work out, but sometimes it surprisingly does.

I need to figure out how to cook SOMETHING good by tomorrow night!

I'm having a bunch of friends over (including a certain cute gal who's here from Japan ;) ) for dinner and not only have I not bought anything to cook yet, I have no idea WHAT to cook. OY.

I'll figger somethin out hopefully.....

To help out a fellow CAGer I'll offer up the recipie for this cocount curry chicken dish I learned how to make sometime ago. If you ever cooked chicken before it's not too hard...

You'd need:
1 & 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon salt & pepper or to taste
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon curry powder
1/3-1/2 onion, finely sliced or diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
10-12 oz of coconut milk
12 oz can stewed, diced tomatoes
8 oz can tomato sauce (or juice if you want a thinner sauce)
2 tablespoons sugar

Then:
1) Cut the chicken to cubes and season it with the salt & pepper
2) Mix the curry powder and oil and heat it in a large skillet on medium heat
3) Add the onions and garlic and cook it for about 1-2 mins
4) Add the chicken making sure it gets coated with the curry/oil mixture, cook the chicken on medium for about 9 or 10 mins
5) Mix your tomatoes, tomatoe sauce, cocount milk, and sugar and pour it into the pan. Stir it around making sure it gets mixed well with the chicken. Cover the skillet and let it simmer for about 35 mins making sure you stir it on occasion at least 4 or 5 times.
6) When it's done serve it over some white rice and you have a ver tasty dish IMO.

A good cheapass meal I make some times and is filling involves 2-3 Ramen packs(shrimp or oriental), small canned mixed veggies(I use peas and carrots most times), canned Tiny shrimp, and an egg. (good for 2-3 people)

1) Start cooking the Ramen like the bags say.
2) Pour in Veggies, Shrimp,(removing the tails best you can), and the egg, Stir
3) Cook for around 5-7 minutes, Drain about half the water off, then add seasoning packets, Stir
4) Enjoy.

I was not sure I would like this but I made it and was amazed how Shaq-Fu'n good like 3 bucks extra can make ramen

I cook occasionally, but usually end up with alot of leftovers and get sick of eating the same thing after a few times. If I freeze the stuff, I usually forget that I have it. And it is sometimes cheaper to just go out and buy something rather than try to make it and clean up the messy kitchen afterwards.

If you have a trader joe's nearby, check out their frozen section for some quick meals. Their kung pao chicken is good for a quick meal ($4, includes rice, about 5 minutes to cook for about 2 meals or 1 if you are a guy with a large appetite).

I can cook simple stuff. Stuff like popping Pilsbury cookie dough in the oven and not burning it, scramble eggs, microwave instant dinners, and instant noodles. I'm taking teen living as an elective this year, so hopefully I'll learn how to cook better....

And Emeril? His jokes get stale after awhile, but I find his show more entertaining than most. Not genius, not idiot, just garlic-obsessed.

I used to cook all the time when I was younger (pretty much all through middle and high school) but now I rarely do. If I do cook, it's something easy like lipton noodles or hot dogs, not real meals like before.

I learned to cook over this summer..Because i got f'ing sick of Ramen, cereal, and millionss of varieties of sandwhiches.

I just made baked salmon filet today. =3 But eating well is BLOODY expensive. ;_;

I can cook a plain or seafood gumbo, spaghetti, soup, hamburgers, chicken, and other things. I also like to make peanut butter fudge and pecan candy.

i can cook, im right next to "yan can cook" im mousin can cook. we live in a oriental family, where cooking is a must for the women. im the oldest in my family, so i cook my own food. i can make anything good oriental wise, with the MSG =]

[quote name='"Tricky"']I can cook a plain or seafood gumbo, spaghetti, soup, hamburgers, chicken, and other things. I also like to make peanut butter fudge and pecan candy.[/quote]

What is pecan candy? (Yes, I am a northerner, as you probably have guessed by now.)

Do you make the fudge using a marshmallow creme base? I have had good luck with those recipes, and they make alot of fudge. It is pretty expensive if you go to a candy shop to purchase it (around here at least).

[quote name='CaptainObviousXl']i can make a mean chicken parm[/quote]

Do you use fresh Parmesian or the bottled kind?

As for me, I've learned to make Rigatoni alla Vodka...now I don't have to go to those expensive italian restaurants for it. :eek:

I cook, prefer to grill, can make a mean pasta salad, and I guess Im pretty good at hamburgers since this chick was begging me to make her so more.

Me, I'm in ninth grade, I normally just prepare Christmas and Thanksgiving dinner. Also, I like to bake food to eat! ^_^ FOOD IS GUD

[quote name='sm04as'][quote name='CaptainObviousXl']i can make a mean chicken parm[/quote]

Do you use fresh Parmesian or the bottled kind?

As for me, I've learned to make Rigatoni alla Vodka...now I don't have to go to those expensive italian restaurants for it. :eek:[/quote]
fresh

Since I've been commuting, I usually cook for my family on days that I don't have night classes. It's my other hobby, aside from gaming. And, unlike with gaming, I'm good at cooking.

[quote name='Gameboy415']I need to figure out how to cook SOMETHING good by tomorrow night!

I'm having a bunch of friends over (including a certain cute gal who's here from Japan ;) ) for dinner and not only have I not bought anything to cook yet, I have no idea WHAT to cook. OY.

I'll figger somethin out hopefully.....[/quote]

I DID IT!

I made spaghetti and homemade meatballs from scratch and it turned out AMAZING! Everybody friggin cleaned their plates! WOO!

/excitement :D

i live in my own dorm alone, but the set up is so that I have a neighbor next too me, this guy whos real cool anyway his friend owns an apartment and whenever we go there I cook because Im pretty good, none of them can and its better than the campus food, i can make real good chicken parm, baked ziti, chili, and I make good brownies too (sometimes we put a little extra in those)

[quote name='daria19'][quote name='Tricky']I can cook a plain or seafood gumbo, spaghetti, soup, hamburgers, chicken, and other things. I also like to make peanut butter fudge and pecan candy.[/quote]

What is pecan candy? (Yes, I am a northerner, as you probably have guessed by now.)

Do you make the fudge using a marshmallow creme base? I have had good luck with those recipes, and they make alot of fudge. It is pretty expensive if you go to a candy shop to purchase it (around here at least).[/quote]

Pecan candy is made with sugar, carnation milk, butter, vanilla favor and any type of nuts. I use pecans or walnuts most of the time. It takes awhile to cook. It is really called fudge. I use a marshmallow base for the fudge. My sister in law who passed away a few years ago would make the best carrot cake. No cake mix from the store and no recipe.

bread's done
Back