Do any CAGs cook?

retroguru

CAGiversary!
I was just cooking some food, when I began to wonder if anyone else here can cook. I cook out of being a cheap ass gamer AND a cheap ass college student, who doesn't want to pay money to go out to eat. Anyone?

I cook all the dam time but it's mostly because I hate what most restaurants serve. I'm not interested in deep fried chocolate dunked bacon wrapped crisco balls.

I agree...ok, since some of you do cook, any cheap ass recipes to pass on to eveyone else? I personally like buying some pasta and a jar of Ragu...10 minutes to cook, $2.00 to buy, and you can get about 3 meals out of it! Damn, its good to be cheap!

Though ramen is truly a cheap ass food, and very good at that, I doubt that counts as cooking...maybe if you where one of those paper chef's hats while you make it. Yep, that woudl change things completely.

I have a Foods class if that counts. I also try to cook but my parents wont let me. They think ill light the place on fire but i kno my skillz are 1337.

Pasta+Ragu is great.

You should try that quick pasta Ragu came out with. Couple of pasta pouches in the microwave for 3 minutes, pour on the sauce, done. Good stuff.

[quote name='moiety']I love to cook. I always like trying new and different recipes, as well as developing my own.[/quote]
Exactly. I like just grabbing a few random things and seeing what I can make with them. I took a chance one time with some random cans of beans, several different seasonings, bbq sauce, honey mustard, and a few other random things to make some "meat-less chili", only because I didn't have any meat at the time. Actually was pretty good!

[quote name='PsyClerk']Pasta+Ragu is great.

You should try that quick pasta Ragu came out with. Couple of pasta pouches in the microwave for 3 minutes, pour on the sauce, done. Good stuff.[/quote]

Yeah, pasta express, or whatever it is called, is pretty good. But it is hard to top fresh cooked on the stove pasta and sauce. As far as the sauces go, anything with lots of garlic is the best!

I can't master cooking bagged ramen, only cup noodles...

I only cook when my parents aren't home and I'm hungry, and I don't want to go to the store. I can stir up some eggs and ham/beef with rice, and spaghetti and meatballs with melted cheese. It's pretty basic actually. I also like eating spam with my noodles, just boil them. I got used to poor taste. I can only mix up and cook basic food. I also like to eat potstickers, which I just flip n' fry in the frying pan.

im chinese...i like noodles and stuff, so when im lazy i'll put 3 bags of ramen noodles in a pot w/ of water and put all the ingredients in...let it boil for like 7 minutes until it looks like its about to over flow :D, then drain it and let it cool...u guys should try draining the noodles after cooking and letting it sit...those are some damn good noodles :)

$.79 bag of pasta...jar of alfredo sauce=4 meals :) Then just get another bag of pasta...8 meals, very cheap and I make some bad ass fettucine alfredo

Man, you said cook, I thought you meant like healthy, good stuff. Ramen Death Noodles/ Ragu doesn't count. :)

[quote name='retroguru'][quote name='PsyClerk']Pasta+Ragu is great.

You should try that quick pasta Ragu came out with. Couple of pasta pouches in the microwave for 3 minutes, pour on the sauce, done. Good stuff.[/quote]

Yeah, pasta express, or whatever it is called, is pretty good. But it is hard to top fresh cooked on the stove pasta and sauce. As far as the sauces go, anything with lots of garlic is the best![/quote]

Yeah, that express stuff rules. But when I crave supreme deliciousness, I get some of that Robust Ragu stuff that has huge chunks of veggies in it. Pour in some Mrs. Dash seasoning, cut up extra onions and fresh mushrooms, grate some cheese-Good stuff. Just had it on sunday. But that's not really cooking...I rely mostly on ramen too :oops: I'm open to learning, but since my mom cooks every night, I never really have to.

[quote name='MadChedar0']Man, you said cook, I thought you meant like healthy, good stuff. Ramen Death Noodles/ Ragu doesn't count. :)[/quote]
I did mean actually cooking good healthy stuff as you say, I was just commenting on some things people were posting and making cheap ass suggestions. I cook most of my meals from scratch. I make a damn good shrimp fettuccini alfredo. In fact, my fiancee's parents have even had me cook it for them for the past two years for their wedding anniversary. Other than that, I just cook whatever I feel like eating at the time. I like to cook, chili, gumbo (I am from louisiana of course), meatloaf, and anything else I can think of. So, that said, can anyone of you REALLY cook? As in actual meals?

Heck no I don't cook. :D

I hate cooking AND cleaning. If I was stuck in a prison cell with Martha Stewart, there would be some serious violence, and I'm not a violent person by any means.

I do use the microwave though, and sometimes I'll get up enough energy to wash some produce. But cook something? Not a chance.

Yeah I'm attempting to cook some healthy goodstuff. You really cant go wrong with some chicken breasts coupled with fresh vegetables as a start... [/quote]

Yeah I cook a lot. I've done creative foods in school and I like to make baked goods alot around the house like pumpkin pie or muffins or cookies, stuff like that. I also make a great gumbo and I'm not even from the south.

I can't cook so great, but man I can make one fucking good pot of soup. I make it homemade, I take a whole chicken and throw some vegies in with it. Man its good :D .

[quote name='tyecko']Yeah I cook a lot. I've done creative foods in school and I like to make baked goods alot around the house like pumpkin pie or muffins or cookies, stuff like that. I also make a great gumbo and I'm not even from the south.[/quote]
But what kind of gumbo do you make? The right way or the wrong way? j/k Some people make a gumbo from some sort of red sauce, but the gumbo I am talking about is with a roux. That is the true southern louisiana style, and the best in my opinion!

Ragu is not cheapass. Make your own! Tomato sauce, garlic, basil, oregano is your basic sauce. Throw in some hamburger and now you've got sauce!

Good Eats is the best show ever for cooking.

[quote name='retroguru'][quote name='PsyClerk']Pasta+Ragu is great.

Yeah, pasta express, or whatever it is called, is pretty good. But it is hard to top fresh cooked on the stove pasta and sauce. As far as the sauces go, anything with lots of garlic is the best![/quote]

So, let me get this straight... Ramen isn't cooking unless there's a paper hat involved, but boiling some pasta and heating some Ragu IS cooking? Should I also point out that I add meat and additional spices to the ramen? Does that make it cooking? :)

[quote name='ZForce915']Ragu is not cheapass. Make your own! Tomato sauce, garlic, basil, oregano is your basic sauce. Throw in some hamburger and now you've got sauce!

Good Eats is the best show ever for cooking.[/quote]

Good Eats is a great show to watch about cooking, but there are a lot of the recipies that, even though I'm sure they're good, Alton seems to make them overly complicated.

adding stuff helps making the ramen cooking...I didn't mean to imply that ragu was cooking. In the post that you quoted, the "sauce" I was referring to was homemade. I only resort to Ragu when I am short on time.

[quote name='retroguru']adding stuff helps making the ramen cooking...I didn't mean to imply that ragu was cooking. In the post that you quoted, the "sauce" I was referring to was homemade. I only resort to Ragu when I am short on time.[/quote]

My girlfriend is like that. She makes her own sauce, loaded with meat. Mmmmmm... Dammit, now I want her to make some s'ghetti sauce! Also, sorry for getting defensive. I'm just very proud of my ramen skills. :)

i cook often because im a college kid without a food plan, it fun trying to find ways to make pasta better

and frozen pizza > j00

I like to bake, cakes specificaly. I like to make them just for fun and pratice, the only problem is I have a cake afterwords. I love cake and all that, but when its your 3rd cake of the week you seriously don't want anymore. Cake anyone?

Yes I cook, because I'm too cheap to go out to nice restaurants very often and I'm sick of getting food poisoning from the fast food ones all the time. My home is on the outskirts of town, so I'd have to drive around too if I wanted a meal prepared for me. Plus I can watch TV while I cook, its my form of multi tasking.

I can get creative sometimes, I'm always willing to try a new recipe if it doesnt take more than an hour to cook. My oven and my grill gets alot of use.

Although I won't make home made bread anymore. That is just way too labor intensive (takes like an hour to knead the stupid dough). Yes, when I'm really lazy, I will resort to Ragu, Top Ramen, and Mac and Cheese. And I hate doing dishes.

[quote name='retroguru'][quote name='tyecko']Yeah I cook a lot. I've done creative foods in school and I like to make baked goods alot around the house like pumpkin pie or muffins or cookies, stuff like that. I also make a great gumbo and I'm not even from the south.[/quote]
But what kind of gumbo do you make? The right way or the wrong way? j/k Some people make a gumbo from some sort of red sauce, but the gumbo I am talking about is with a roux. That is the true southern louisiana style, and the best in my opinion![/quote]

Yep I used a roux, I believe mine had green and red peppers, andoulie susage, shrip, crab, okra, and tomato among other things. It was quite tasty.

yeah i love to cook..but i tend to set the kitchen and/or microwave on fyre! its fun but im dangerous..lol

I love to cook. I tend to just make up things though rather than following actual recipes. I learn more that way, and I can adapt things to how I see fit. Usually, I'll see something cooked on Food Network, and I'll think, "That's a great idea!" Then I'll make my own variation of it. Or, I'll think of something neat to try out and just go for it.

One of those ideas I had was tonight for dinner: I cooked shrimp cakes (basically crabcakes with shrimp instead of crab). I bought the salad-size shrimp at the grocery store (they're cheaper and they're getting chopped up anyway, so size doesn't matter). I chopped them and a roasted red pepper and added asiago cheese, egg, olive oil, green onions, and bread crumbs. It was actually pretty good. I'd offer the recipe, but I never measure so I couldn't tell you how much of each to put in.

One thing I like to make a lot is homemade pizza. I make the dough and the sauce from scratch, and I put fresh mozzarella on top, usually with prosciutto or italian sausage and pepporoni, bell peppers, and onions. It's especially good when it's homemade stuffed crust pizza.

I guess I'm not much of a cheapass when it comes to cooking. I tend to spend more than I should on meals when I'm cooking. Then again, when I cook, I usually make enough for two meals, so the cost amortizes. Plus, food usually tastes better when you make it yourself because it's fresh and because it's something you made, so you tend to be more forgiving.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']I love to cook. I tend to just make up things though rather than following actual recipes. I learn more that way, and I can adapt things to how I see fit. Usually, I'll see something cooked on Food Network, and I'll think, "That's a great idea!" Then I'll make my own variation of it. Or, I'll think of something neat to try out and just go for it.

One of those ideas I had was tonight for dinner: I cooked shrimp cakes (basically crabcakes with shrimp instead of crab). I bought the salad-size shrimp at the grocery store (they're cheaper and they're getting chopped up anyway, so size doesn't matter). I chopped them and a roasted red pepper and added asiago cheese, egg, olive oil, green onions, and bread crumbs. It was actually pretty good. I'd offer the recipe, but I never measure so I couldn't tell you how much of each to put in.

One thing I like to make a lot is homemade pizza. I make the dough and the sauce from scratch, and I put fresh mozzarella on top, usually with prosciutto or italian sausage and pepporoni, bell peppers, and onions. It's especially good when it's homemade stuffed crust pizza.

I guess I'm not much of a cheapass when it comes to cooking. I tend to spend more than I should on meals when I'm cooking. Then again, when I cook, I usually make enough for two meals, so the cost amortizes. Plus, food usually tastes better when you make it yourself because it's fresh and because it's something you made, so you tend to be more forgiving.[/quote]

that sounds nearly identical to me. I rarely use recipes for anything.
I watch food shows a lot and usually borrow ideas or techniques they use for dishes I make.

I am a cook at a seafood restaurant. I kind of live the life that the guy on the Uncle Ben's Rice commercial lives. I cook wonderful dishes at work and after a long day in the kitchen I come home only to microwave my favorite Uncle Ben's Rice and Pasta dishes, not to mention heat up some leftover delivery pizza, throw a couple things of Easy Mac in the microwave and eat a bowl of cereal.

Anyways the slogan for the commercial is "Dinner shouldn't be hard work". I always kind of laugh when it come on.

Anyone ever see it before?

Sure I cook. I was raised on nuked food (my mom was a Sam's club member, and bought tons of bulk food) and I would always be the one to make Hamburger Helper. But since I got married, hubby hates Hamburger Helper so I got to cook real food for him. Usually just grill up a chicken breast on the Foreman with whatever seasonings I have handy (he's always got to have lemon juice on it), rice in the ricer, corn on the cob or a salad, which he likes diced onions, tomatoes, and a little of his lemon juice. He likes grilled mushrooms too, so I use those if I have them.

I learned a recipe from my sister I use alot too. I'll share it with ye.

Whatcha need:
2 boxes of chicken and mushroom Rice-a-Roni
a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
a can of mushroom soup (campbells or whatever)
water
milk
butter
17x9 baking dish
measuring cups, of course

So you get your chicken nice and thawed, and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cook both packages of the Rice-a-Roni according to the directions, but only cook the lot for 10 minutes after everything's put together.

Meanwhile, get your mushroom soup and toss it into a mixing bowl/cup/whatever, and add a canful of water or milk to it, like you normally would. Make sure to scrape out all the soup, and mix it up nice and smooth.

When the rice-a-roni's done, pour it all into the baking/casserole dish, spread it evenly. Place your chicken breasts on top of the rice; pour the mushroom soup on top of that. Make sure everything's nice and coated.

Shove it into the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes; when the edges start to turn brown, or the chicken's cooked through, its done.

Depending on your appetite, it could last you one sitting or a week. Enjoy!

I do a lot of cooking myself, mostly Italian food and grilling (with propane and propane accesories). But what's even better is that my girlfriend is an awesome cook and loves to come over and cook for me, and since she doesn't like leftovers they are all mine.

bread's done
Back