Do many of you still have ps2 because most ps3s aren't bc?

ajumbaje

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I was thinking on getting one to play games like yakuza and shadow of colossus. Is there any news of something coming via a firmware update or would it be a better bet to get a slim ps2 at best buy

right now I have a fat 80gb non bc ps3 and it's pretty awesome

I still keep my old ps2 ('fat' model) to play my shrinking PS2 backlog. I keep it at the office and I play before work and during my lunch hour (with a portable DVD player as screen)

i still have a ps2 and i have a bc ps3. sony said they werent working on bc for the ps3 anymore chances are they will sell the ps2 games as dls the way they do the ps1 games.

[quote name='ajumbaje']Yea, that would be sweet, is there any sign of that soon?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't expect anything before TGS or E3 at the earliest, if then.

I bought a 60 but I also kept my launch day PS2. I don't see the point in trading old consoles because you never get much for it by the time you're done with it.

It's probably best to buy a spare PS2. This way you can find the discs cheaply instead of waiting for them to arrive in the PSN store for $20 and never go on sale. Plus you get the discs and manuals.

I don't have a PS2; never owned one, was a Nintendo Fanboy pretty much. I am really really hoping they remake the top PS2 titles for PS3 as either DLC or special collector's editions (like the God of War one).

It would be nice though if they could figure out a way to play the PS2 discs on the non-BC consoles. There are tons of games I'd love to get for cheap.

However, I'm torn between full BC and just re-makes since they upgraded the graphics in the God of War collection. It's kind of the best of both worlds (getting to play the games I never played, and also getting them in HD).

But I realize that most folks have bought a ton of PS2 titles and I can understand where they're coming from if they don't add BC back in at some point.

I think Sony's missing out on a ton of PS2 owners who have not upgraded. There are millions out there I'm sure (seeing as how many PS2s they still sell every month).

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep my PS2 upstairs and I'm trying to get through my significant RPG backlog. I figure most of the other games will get remade or repackaged for the PS3 or even the Wii (Klonoa).

I still have my PS2. Was gonna sell it to get money for a PS3, but then got the $100 I'd get for selling it (with games) for Christmas.

I wouldn't bother waiting. HD doesn't improve anything and other tweaks aren't likely to happen since it could mess up the game. The library of must-play titles is simply too big to hope for enough remakes and PSN titles to cover them all.

I have like 130 PS2 games so I wouldn't be very interested in ports anyway. I don't like paying twice for the same game. Another thing to consider is a PS2 is meant to play PS2 games. Software emulation of PS2 on a PS3 may never be perfect. It'll be best to get the hardware if you intend on playing a bunch of games.

I have tons of PS2 games. I sold my PS2 long ago. My PS3 has BC...and I've only used it once (mainly just to see how it worked).

btw does anyone know how well the GOWC sold? if it did well enough chances are they will release more games like that. maybe the more popular series will be released in one upgraded collection and the other games could see a psn release.

My PS3 has BC, but I just do not like playing DVD's on it. So I keep my PS2 slim near it if I have the need to go back.

[quote name='lokizz']btw does anyone know how well the GOWC sold? if it did well enough chances are they will release more games like that. maybe the more popular series will be released in one upgraded collection and the other games could see a psn release.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how well it sold, but looks like it was in the top 20 in November.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26492/NPD_Top_20_Reveals_Nintendo_Titles_God_Of_War_Remakes.php

There are no figures as to how many units sold (at that link). According to VGChartz (which isn't reliable, I hear) it has sold 500K or so.

Ugh, I bought an MGS4 bundle 80 gig and checked sony's website on the compatibility of all the games i own and/or plan on ever playing and all of them checked out.

Sold my slim ps2, and starting playing Yakuza on my ps3. Works fine until hey it locks up, and cannot get past that point. over and over and over again, even though this issue is specifically mentioned on the ps2 compatibility page and is marked as fixed it still messes up for me.

I would have kept my ps2 if i knew how bad the BC really is in the software based ps3's.

i still have my ps2 to play large import collection plus my light gun games and such because i got 3 gaming tv, 2600-SNES, 3do-xbox, 360-ps3 (1080p)

[quote name='mang9432']Ugh, I bought an MGS4 bundle 80 gig and checked sony's website on the compatibility of all the games i own and/or plan on ever playing and all of them checked out.

Sold my slim ps2, and starting playing Yakuza on my ps3. Works fine until hey it locks up, and cannot get past that point. over and over and over again, even though this issue is specifically mentioned on the ps2 compatibility page and is marked as fixed it still messes up for me.

I would have kept my ps2 if i knew how bad the BC really is in the software based ps3's.[/QUOTE]

ive had the same problem with ssx on tour and ssx3. both game locks up after a while on my mgs4 bundle ps3. sucs too since i love both of those games. other than those 2 all my ps2 games work perfectly.

I have too many PS3 games to worry about PS2 games. When I first got my PS3, I was sucked into all the hype about B/C and went around picking up some cheap, old PS2 games. I never played them, what a waste of money.

I have a fat with BC and I've used it rarely. I'd have to say except for playing a PS2 rpg I was really motivated to finish, that I really don't need the BC (And if I didn't I would have just hooked up and old PS2).

tl;dr Lack of PS2 BC is no longer a deal breaker in my mind.

i got a non bc 80 gig and the fat ps2 (modded). I think everyone should keep the ps2 to play ps2 games. its common sense that the more you use the ps3, the life is being shortened a bit. So why not play ps2 games on a ps2 and just do ps3 games and blu ray on the ps3. I really wanted the BC ps3 but now i realize it is a comestic issue because i never play ps2 games anymore. I LOVE that silver shiney trim on the MGS/60 gigs...Damn! i want one!!!

To answer the question, I have a ps2 because I'm the kind of person who doesn't believe in trading-in/selling a system. I never have for some odd reason.

The good ol' fat ps2 is still running, albeit a little raggedy, but still good.

While I still have a slim PS2, I cant even remember the last time it was hooked up and played. The only game I own for it is San Andreas, and I still have it only because I cant trade it anywhere since its the OG version, and I'm too lazy to sell it on Ebay or Craigslist.

I have a BC PS3 (60gb) and I sold my fat PS2 a long time ago, but I did buy a new White Slim PS2 to play Sakura Wars. (Playing PS2 games on the PS3 just feels wrong)

I have a slim PS3 and I still have my "enhanced" fat PS2. I am a big FF fan, so I keep it around to play those, along with a small PS2 backlog that I need to work through. I have considered getting rid of the fat PS2 and getting a slim, but since the one I have still plays fairly well (with exception of the occasional red screen of death), I figure it isn't worth the effort. If a PS3 version of FFX/FFXII is ever released, the PS2 will be officially retired.

i have my $100 PS2 Slim sitting next to my PS3 60gb BC unit. The PS2 is in standby mode and just wasting electricity. Haven't turned it on in a year..however, I have never put a PS2 disc into my PS3 either, so...

I should probably pick up a PS2... I have the 80GB model with half BC but it's kinda annoying when a game works fine for a while but then freezes at a certain point, in which case I have either transfer save files to my brother's 60GB.

And the problem is usually with games which don't have any problems listed for it on Sony's compatibility site.

bread's done
Back