Do Retailers Still Carry Original (phat) PSP Core?

Hibiwa

CAGiversary!
With the slims being fully established in stores, how likely am I to find a new original (phat) PSP core at places like Target, BB, CC, etc.? Has anyone seen any recently?

Didn't think I would need a second, but my phat is sad because I won't budge from 2.71 official yet. Patapon's out, and GOW:COO is around the corner with Pinball Hall of Fame Williams Collection and I'm stuck pondering. The easiest solution is to buy another PSP so I can play newer games and keep it constantly updated.

I prefer the PSP-1001's sturdiness, but If there's no chance at this point at finding it new, I'll likely wait for the GOW bundle and live with the inherent slim downsides like the flimsy UMD door.

Thanks!

Kendal - Thanks for the offer. I've been holding off on touching the 2.71 until I was confident about what's what and not ruining my phat -- especially because they don't make them anymore. Reason enough on why I was hoping to be able to buy a new 1001 at a b+m in case of too many stuck pixels. Got three on mine. Refurbs seem important to avoid.

From Scorch's post, it doesn't seem likely that I'll run into a new phat anytime soon. May have to check K-Mart. Ew.

What's your opinion on the best dg for a 2.71 ta-082? I've been looking for one that will do the least damage to the IDstorage keys. Too much info to wade through out there.

Dax has one specifically for 2.71, but I don't know if it's the updated version that's safer. Do you know which dg has the limit that after going to 1.5 and up to one of the 3.XX CFW, that you couldn't go to a higher firmware later because official +3.03(?) blocks something?

Then I read that it might be better to go up to 2.80 official and use the Noobz dg instead? Another option I have is using Lumines. I already own the GH version so I think I'm good if needed.

Pandora is the least likely route since I don't have a spare battery to mess with so I haven't given that serious consideration. Of course that also happens to be the optimal process to avoid messing up anything at all. So confuzzling. 3.9 CFW isn't yet trouble free either.

You can PM your thoughts if it's an issue to post about here. Appropriate sites I should join to get more advice would be appreciated also.

Short of that, I may have to get that slim. Ugh.

If you really want a Phat, I have one that I haven't touched since I bought my slim. I'd sell it to ya for a reasonable price. It's in good shape, I put a screen protector on it and I keep it in the Logitech hard case thingie.

PM me if you want.
/tk

You could always ebay it or check the CAG trading section or gametz.com, I always see tons of threads trying to get rid of phatys.

You might want to check Sears, I heard a guy at my sears say they had a whole bunch of old PSP's in the back. Again you will have to ask because they most likely will not be on the shelves. Kmart also might have them but I would think the Christmas holiday wiped them out because people don't know the difference between the slim and the original and would gladly buy the original. There wasn't a PSP to be found on store shelves this whole holiday season here.

Also I have a slim and I don't think its flimsy at all.

^ You sure? I only saw refurbished PSPs at Overstock -- and they weren't much cheaper than a brand new slim.

Appreciate all the replies. I'll have to check out a few stores more diligently. Wasn't exactly looking for another phat till now, so it didn't cross my mind to actively search for it. They're likely no longer on the shelves for the various reasons mentioned.

If anyone has comments on the CFW aspect, I'm all ears.

bread's done
Back