Do you like/dislike seeing "make offer" in CAG Trading threads?

JackSuper

CAGiversary!
Feedback
98 (100%)
I always appreciate when a seller includes prices with their games. IMO, both buyer and seller have some idea of the value of a game, and seeing a price listed saves time and helps a buyer decide whether he or she would like to buy a game or make an appropriate counter-offer. When I see "make offer" next to a game, I feel the seller is only setting his or herself up for lowballs. Thoughts?

I hope everyone understands how I set up the poll - select either choice 1 or 2 AND select either choice 3 or 4. Choose 2 answers.

I can't stand "make offer" sale lists. I rarely bother with such threads, even if there's something I'm interested in. If you're going to sell things, you should have prices listed. This makes everything quick and easy.

I use the trading site as a buyer, I usually dont waste time with make a offer. List a price and save time for everyone

I don't so much have a problem with the sellers who have 'make offer' listed on their TL or whatever, but when I have a set price for something listed on my TL, that's what I want and I hate when people send me a PM saying 'I'll give you $x.xx for that'.

I usually don't respond at all to people who make an offer when a price is already listed, mainly because I'm afraid I'm going to type back 'fuck you and get lost' to them since it's usually some offer that has me losing money on the deal. Usually, if I have a price listed, it means that I've figured out what I paid for the item, a quick estimate on shipping and maybe $1-3 for my time(if that).

I'm not trying to get rich or resell for a ton of $$$(unlike some TL's I've seen with games like Mario DDR for GC listed for $100 plus shipping). If you're looking to get Ebay-ish prices, sell on fuckin' Ebay because I come here for DEALS. And if you're looking to buy for dirt cheap prices, go check Craigslist since my set prices are just that, firm and immovable(most times).

Even if it's not the case, I generally view 'make offer' as one of two things:

1. the seller is too lazy to go check the value of the item themselves and expect the buyer to do the work

2. the seller knows how much the item is worth, but is hoping that an ignorant buyer will offer him more by not listing a set price.

Of the two, the cynical person in me finds the second more likely, but hey. Regardless, I don't like not just seeing a dollar amount next to an item. It's a tradelist, not an auction site... you want different offers, list it on Ebay.

[quote name='007']Even if it's not the case, I generally view 'make offer' as one of two things:

1. the seller is too lazy to go check the value of the item themselves and expect the buyer to do the work

2. the seller knows how much the item is worth, but is hoping that an ignorant buyer will offer him more by not listing a set price.

Of the two, the cynical person in me finds the second more likely, but hey. Regardless, I don't like not just seeing a dollar amount next to an item. It's a tradelist, not an auction site... you want different offers, list it on Ebay.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. When I see "Make an Offer", I close the thread and move on.

The other thing I hate is when a tradelist has a few items have prices but almost always the one or two items I want do not have a price.

I hate it when I add prices and still no one buys stuff...

Then I have to add "make offer" to get people to say anything.

Am I ridiculously overpriced??? I don't think so...

I always say make offer because it gives me an idea for how the buyer values the product. I don't think it's a big deal.

I like sending the seller's lowballs. How else can I get Suikoden II for $3 shipped?

Seriously though, I don't bother with "Make Offer". To me, it just says that the seller really doesn't want to sell or wants more than the going rate and is looking for suckers. My favorite Buy/Sell board is the Hardforum.com because listing prices is mandatory. You don't get quagmired in the drek of lame traders like I seem to be a magnet for here and on BGG that doesn't have that rule.

I generally ignore most threads that say "make offer" because I'm a lazy human being. However there are some exceptions. I don't really expect people to put prices next to rare games like Final Fantasy VII and Valkyrie Profile, in which case "make offer" is acceptable to me.

My biggest pet peeve is when a trade list has no prices AND has no wants. Those threads I ignore immediately because there is too much guesswork involved.

Yeah I don't bother with "make offer" tradelist too. If I see an item with a price I want then I'll pm the seller. Too much hassle for "make offer" tradelist for me.

[quote name='onikage']I can't stand "make offer" sale lists. I rarely bother with such threads, even if there's something I'm interested in. If you're going to sell things, you should have prices listed. This makes everything quick and easy.[/quote]

:applause:

couldn't have said it better myself! I find it extremely annoying because when a person puts "make an offer" they obviously have a price set in mind and are just waiting for some jackass to offer more than what its actually worth and scam the poor bastard.

I hate all the "make offer" crap on this site... everyone seems to be trying to pull a fast one on people who don't know what a game is "worth". That is why I just put prices on ALL my games in my TL and also accept any lowball offers (in case I'm way off base)...

People always have a price in their mind, they just want to see if they can get someone to pay more than something is worth, I hate make offer. Only if it is something like a package deal is it ok to do.

I usually don't bother with make an offer even if it's something I'm interested in. If someone lists a good price I usually jump all over it and buy it.

... so it's time for another one of these again... :roll:
I do make offer because I'm ignorant as to the value of games.
Call :bs: if you want, but I have better things to fill my head with than the value of old games.

[quote name='mguiddy']... so it's time for another one of these again... :roll:
Call :bs: if you want, but I have better things to fill my head with than the value of old games.[/QUOTE]

It seems to me you must have SOME idea of the value of the games in your head though. Otherwise, you must be selling your games for alot lower than most people would expect.

I had a feeling most buyers preferred to see prices listed, but this preference isn't meant as an insult to you, guiddy, or any other seller. You should try a TL with some prices and see if your sales go up.

Here's how it goes. A seller knows what their item is worth. However, they're waiting for someone to offer them something. Well, if a dumbass offers more than it's worth, the seller gladly sells. But if the seller gets an offer for less, the seller ignores you. In other words, it's a nice way to try to fuck people.

I don't deal with 'make an offer' crap. If you want to sell it, name a price, otherwise, fuck you, I'll find it elsewhere.

[quote name='JackSuper']It seems to me you must have SOME idea of the value of the games in your head though. Otherwise, you must be selling your games for alot lower than most people would expect. [/quote]
Not really.

[quote name='Access_Denied']In other words, it's a nice way to try to fuck people.
[/quote]
this.
[quote name='mguiddy']
Call :bs: if you want, but I have better things to fill my head with than the value of old games.[/quote]
maybe it is bs. but knowing how much your game goes for could potentially help your gaming needs. its a good way to maximize for what you have. take advantage. if not, they'll take advantage of you.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92547

"How much for X" PMs drive me up the wall. Especially when I go out of my way to mention the fact that I will not respond to PMs asking for a price on something.

If I need cash and really want to sell my stuff I'll list my asking price next to the items. My main reason for listing my stuff is for trading.

the other thing that I dont like is people listing stuff they sold. They show up on the search result and dont help.

[quote name='mguiddy']Not really.[/QUOTE]

You have no idea what your games are worth huh. Those lowballs must get annoying. You're coming off as a smart ass and you're a seller who refuses to list prices on your TL - I think these two are correlated.

As a buyer, I get a bit annoyed when sellers state "make offer." I mean come on, you're the one selling your items - you should already know what you want for it! The only exception to that is the sellers that are looking to trade, then I understand why they'd put "make offer."
As a seller, I prefer to list prices and put that they're negotiable under said conditions (i.e. buying more than one item, etc). I've noticed that people either don't reply or make really low offers when it states "make offer." I understand that the listed price might be too high for certain buyers, so in such a case, I just say it's negotiable with reason. I mean isn't it frustrating for both the buyer and seller if there isn't any prices at all and it just says "make offer?"

[quote name='JackSuper']You have no idea what your games are worth huh. Those lowballs must get annoying. You're coming off as a smart ass and you're a seller who refuses to list prices on your TL - I think these two are correlated.[/quote]
No, I don't know what my games are worth.

I'm coming off as a smart ass? How so? Because I answered your question?

I don't refuse to list prices. I don't list prices because I don't know how much to ask for. If I knew how much I wanted for a game I'd list it.

Why are you being so hostile to me?
:grouphug:

People that say "make offer" are too fucking lazy to go on ebay and see average price. However, I sometimes side with the "make offer", considering I have like 15+ GBA games and I don't want to spend the time looking them all up.

The only thing I use make an offer is for potential bundles. Personally, what I don't understand is when sellers list prices and say they accept offers. This just begs to be lowballed. I generally list prices on items I prefer to sell. Unpriced items I prefer to trade but will sell. What I really hate is when people want everything for marginally more than the cheapest known deal. If as a seller/trader you have a harder than normal to find item, I feel it is reasonable to make some money. Though definitely not ebay type prices.

Prices being listed make me smile.
But I'm still hesitant about putting up a trade list because I don't know how many people are willing to deal with sellers up north.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Prices being listed make me smile.
But I'm still hesitant about putting up a trade list because I don't know how many people are willing to deal with sellers up north.[/quote]

Try being in Japan... :roll:

I think I get about 10% of the trades most people do.

[quote name='62t']the other thing that I dont like is people listing stuff they sold. They show up on the search result and dont help.[/quote]

i just put an "*" in place of vowels in my "sold" list. that way they don't come up in searches, but i can still keep them around for reference.

i also don't like the "make offer" thing. in my list, i put prices next to things i don't mind selling (that are still negotiable), and prefer to trade everything else (though i'll sell if someone is willing to make an offer i can't refuse).

[quote name='Chitown021']"How much for X" PMs drive me up the wall. Especially when I go out of my way to mention the fact that I will not respond to PMs asking for a price on something.

If I need cash and really want to sell my stuff I'll list my asking price next to the items. My main reason for listing my stuff is for trading.[/quote]

Then you change the title of your trade list to just FT instead of FS/FT unless you intend on selling something.

All sellers have a price in mind for something they own, simply list a price that you would want and you can put something like "willing to negotiate if reasonable". If you don't want to sell it then don't list a price, put something next to it like "FT only!"

It's not that complicated and saves everyone else time in the long run.

[quote name='rmb']What I really hate is when people want everything for marginally more than the cheapest known deal. If as a seller/trader you have a harder than normal to find item, I feel it is reasonable to make some money. Though definitely not ebay type prices.[/quote]

This is one of the reasons I don't bother much with trading here. Based on having made a few trade offers on other members' lists, it seems like everyone wants to value my stuff at the cheapest recent deal price, but value their own stuff at close to eBay/Amazon prices. For example, if I had a copy of Fire Emblem for the Wii, the other person would automatically assume that I had gotten it at Circuit City on clearance and decide that it's only worth ~$15-17 at most.

I also dislike the politics of hashing out who sends when. Man, that used to be such a headache in the old days when I traded at GameTZ. It's a lot easier to just sell my games outright at eBay or Amazon, and buy what I want.

Make offer is fine for either super rare or high priced items. If you want one of those items, you probably will shoot someone a PM. I don't like it when you do make an offer and they so no and don't counter offer. I'm not gonna keep guessing your price. I might haggle over a few bucks but give me an idea.

I love some of the hypocrisy I'm seeing in here.

For me, if I'm looking to buy something and someone's looking to sell first and foremost then I want to see prices. For me, I only accept offers because I sell as a courtesy. I don't like selling, I came here to trade, I put up "Make an Offer" to deter people from trying to buy a game rather than trade.

And you're probably not the only one.

That is the huge problem with it, people list "make an offer" when they don't even intend on selling it!

It's a huge waste of time for everyone, save your "courtesy" and put "TRADE ONLY!"

[quote name='yukine']It's a huge waste of time for everyone, save your "courtesy" and put "TRADE ONLY!"[/quote]

Psh, I tried that already and people still asked me to sell them shit. So I said "fuck it." They're gonna do it regardless.

I'm kinda like dv8. I put up prices in hopes of getting more views, but no one bites, so I don't know if the prices I set are considered too high, or what. I kind of wish I'd get complaints or some sort of feedback instead of, as I see here, people just closing the thread out of laziness. When I don't list a price, it's either a) I'm too lazy to look up the price, but would do so and set one if someone asks me, b) I don't think the item has much value in the first place, or c) I honestly don't know what it's worth.

As a buyer, I like seeing prices, and I would try to haggle anyway unless they say the prices are unshakable. But when I see 'make an offer', then I just give them a CML because I don't want to guess what they want. I think this is a fairly safe way out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='yukine']Then you change the title of your trade list to just FT instead of FS/FT unless you intend on selling something.

All sellers have a price in mind for something they own, simply list a price that you would want and you can put something like "willing to negotiate if reasonable". If you don't want to sell it then don't list a price, put something next to it like "FT only!"

It's not that complicated and saves everyone else time in the long run.[/quote]

It's not that I won't sell my stuff it's just that I would prefer to trade first and sell if the right price comes along. I don't have a price in mind for everything on my list so I'm not going to mark everything. If someone is interested they can shoot me a price if it sounds good I'll take it if not I'll say no.

So much hate for "make offers".

Personally, I don't like selling anything as I have a pretty decent cash flow so cash doesn't really do me any good. I really just prefer trades if at all possible, but might sell depending on the item. Is make an offer really such a bad thing?

[quote name='BlueLobstah']So much hate for "make offers".

Personally, I don't like selling anything as I have a pretty decent cash flow so cash doesn't really do me any good. I really just prefer trades if at all possible, but might sell depending on the item. Is make an offer really such a bad thing?[/quote]

LOL I have make an offer. It's for this
madden 07

[quote name='dv8mad']Try being in Japan... :roll:

I think I get about 10% of the trades most people do.[/quote]

I'd say you get more than many of us. You've been trading 3 months and have many more than alot of people that I see actively trying to trade. Of course it might have something to do with their lists having crappy games. I love the lists that have only clearance games from kmart, cc, target and the games are still readily available on clearance. No wonder no trades for them.

BTW, your games shipped today and look @ my list...hint 360 addition.

[quote name='rmb']I'd say you get more than many of us. You've been trading 3 months and have many more than alot of people that I see actively trying to trade. Of course it might have something to do with their lists having crappy games. I love the lists that have only clearance games from kmart, cc, target and the games are still readily available on clearance. No wonder no trades for them.

BTW, your games shipped today and look @ my list...hint 360 addition.[/quote]

Hey now. I take offense to the 'crappy games' thing, since all of mine are worth their weight in gold. :lol: Just kidding. But, I definitely know what you mean. However, my biggest gripe is STILL the people who Ebay price their stuff.

Most of the stuff I have has been out of the system @ Kmart for a while though and from the looks of it there's no real interest for it either.

[quote name='rmb']I'd say you get more than many of us. You've been trading 3 months and have many more than alot of people that I see actively trying to trade. Of course it might have something to do with their lists having crappy games. I love the lists that have only clearance games from kmart, cc, target and the games are still readily available on clearance. No wonder no trades for them.

BTW, your games shipped today and look @ my list...hint 360 addition.[/quote]

Honestly though, I think if I had been in the US, I would be at about 70 or 80 points by now. I have had at least 30 trades break when they found out I was in Japan. I figure there are at least that many I don't know about from people that notice and never initiate contact. :cry:

As for looking at your list... :whistle2:# Maybe I'm a little dense because I'm not sure what addition I'm looking for.

I'm interested in few games on your trade list, dv8mad. It's just that most of them are Japanese and I have no way of being able to play them. That probably goes for quite a few other people as well.

bread's done
Back