Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series Blu-Ray $19.99 at Best Buy.

Zerok

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
The cheapest I've ever seen a Doctor Who season, especially a complete Blu-Ray set.

Edit: Other sets available as well as part of their "Best of Britain" promotion:

Being Human: Season Three
Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series
Doctor Who: Series Six Part One
Doctor Who: Series Six Part Two
Frozen Planet: The Complete Series
Human Planet: The Complete Series
Life (Should be noted this is the Oprah narrated version, not the David Attenborough one.)
Sherlock: Season One
Sherlock: Season Two
Torchwood: The Complete First Season
Torchwood: The Complete Second Series
Torchwood: Children of Earth (AKA Season Three)

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it in stores as well. I was tempted to buy it, despite already having it. It's the beginning of Smith/Amy for lesser fans.

Good to know it's finally on the cheaper side. I ended up importing the S5 Steelbook from Amazon UK back in the day, though it's Region B only.

Might pick this up as a cheaper option to be able to play on something other than my HTPC.

Hmm.. I have two RZ certificates that would go perfectly with this. The thing is, I only recently began watching the series and I'm currently on the 9th doctor. I love the show, so I'm almost positive I would love this doctor as well, but I'm not sure.

Its part of a best of britain promo which also includes

Torchwood S1
Torchwood S2
Sherlock S1
Sherlock S2
Dr Who S6.1
Dr Who S6.2

For $19.99

I only started watching Doctor Who when the more modern episodes, aka Eccleston started. But I've seen every episode since then. Amy/Rory are easily my favorite companions and Smith is my favorite Doctor, with Tentant a close 2nd. The episode where the introduced Smith was an amazing AMAZING episode. Worth $20 just to have fish fingers and custard.

[quote name='chronoserge456']I've never seen any Doctor Who (i've been meaning to watch it) and it looks like this is a good way to start? Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

Netflix might be better if youre on the fence. $7.99 to stream and six seasons (and a few older eps) on demand.

This is a good starting point if youre not interested in the DW universe but I would strongly advise going back to S1 for a greater appreciation.

I would say S1, and all the Tennant years for the full effect. Things felt much more epic for some reason IMHO.

Wanted to buy this until I remembered that I own eps 1, 12, 13 on Amazon Instant video already (no Prime which has all six season "free" streaming also). Those were the best episodes of season 5 that I can repeatedly watch.

Too bad S6 isn't on sale. I would've upgraded my S6 DVD set. Many more memorable shows as they seemingly hit a better string of stories and improved acting.

[quote name='snakeinthegrass']Its part of a best of britain promo which also includes

Torchwood S1
Torchwood S2
Sherlock S1
Sherlock S2
Dr Who S6.1
Dr Who S6.2

For $19.99[/QUOTE]

Do you happen to know how long the sale lasts?

Thanks much. Now I own this and the special bluray that I purchased when Borders went out of business for under 20. Don't usually feel the need to have to own them when they are over 40 since they are on streaming services.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got one on hold for me so that I can stop by and pick it up after work. Thanks op, that's finally cheap enough that I can justify picking up the series on blu ray (knowing that buying one will cause me to pick up all of the others as well ;) )

For anyone that's curious, I looked into it a bit and decided that I don't want the S6 pt. 1 and S6 pt. 2 sets. The complete Series 6 box set comes with both of those sets, "A Christmas Carol," and also has a bunch of DW short films that are only available on that set. The only thing that the complete S6 doesn't have (that the individual releases do) is the promo video from the single disc Christmas Carol release.

[quote name='Hibiwa']I would say S1, and all the Tennant years for the full effect. Things felt much more epic for some reason IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Better writing, characters, and acting.

[quote name='Hibiwa']I read on blu-ray.com someone mentioning the sale tag thing said 11/17. Don't know for sure.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I read that too. Gives me time to get it.

Let's be clear here. This is a great season but David Tenant is the greatest doctor. (slight spoiler?)
His last scene as he regenerates after visiting all the people from his time when he says "I don't want to go" particularly after he talked about what regenerating being like dying... Right in the feels, man, right in the feels...

Already have Doctor Who and Sherlock, really wish they weren't out of Torchwood, would love to have those on Blu Ray. They do have Children of Eaarth in stock, which is IMO the best season of Torchwood.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Let's be clear here. This is a great season but David Tenant is the greatest doctor. (slight spoiler?)
His last scene as he regenerates after visiting all the people from his time when he says "I don't want to go" particularly after he talked about what regenerating being like dying... Right in the feels, man, right in the feels...
[/QUOTE]

Tennant is good, but Matt Smith is better. And Tom Baker is greatest.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Tennant is good, but Matt Smith is better. And Tom Baker is greatest.[/QUOTE]

But the single best episode is "Blink"

Grabbed SSN1 of Torchwood but I was contemplating S5 of DW. I decided to go with Torchwood since, well, I am in love with John Barrowman. If the sale does last 'til mid-November I will definitely be picking up SSN2, Children of Earth and SSN5 of DW.

[quote name='spatenfloot']But the single best episode is "Blink"[/QUOTE]

But Tennant was barely in it. And then by that logic, Martha's the best companion!

[quote name='elessar123']But Tennant was barely in it. And then by that logic, Martha's the best companion![/QUOTE]

Martha is my 2nd favorite companion. Amy/Rory being the first. Marta might be tied with Rose, but I detested Donna. Even when the actress who played Donna started on The Office I was not a fan. I suppose it wasn't the companion, but just the actress, found her very grating.

Guess I am in the minority by having Eccleston as my favorite. Honestly Smith has some great moments but there are times where I just find him too ridiculous and Steven Moffat has zero subtlety with his plots unlike the writing in earlier seasons.

That said, I'll picked this up because it is a fantastic price for the blus.

Eccelston wasn't on long enough to make a huge impact, but I did like him. As for companions, I liked Martha and Donna. Only saw a couple episodes of Season 5 so I am withholding my opinion on Amy/Rory.

Grabbed Doctor Who Season 5 Complete.
Would have loved if they did the same with the complete season six.

I going to have to check my local stores for Torchwood Season 1 and 2. I missed out an them they last time they were on sale in the $30 range and having been kicking myself ever since. Hopefully one of my local best buys either by work or my house will have them. I wish the store locator was working for these.

[quote name='momouchi']Guess I am in the minority by having Eccleston as my favorite. Honestly Smith has some great moments but there are times where I just find him too ridiculous and Steven Moffat has zero subtlety with his plots unlike the writing in earlier seasons.

That said, I'll picked this up because it is a fantastic price for the blus.[/QUOTE]
I've seen S1 and S2 so far, based off those two, Eccleston is my favorite by far. Perhaps Tenant improves in S3, but I found most of his shtick annoying in S2.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Martha is my 2nd favorite companion. Amy/Rory being the first. Marta might be tied with Rose, but I detested Donna. Even when the actress who played Donna started on The Office I was not a fan. I suppose it wasn't the companion, but just the actress, found her very grating.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fan of Catherine Tate either. I thought Martha was boring, Amys good, and I like Rose. Didn't like Eccelson, cause it felt like he really didn't want to do the role (we know he hated it). Tennent's my favorite though, despite my starting on series 5.

[quote name='elessar123']But Tennant was barely in it. And then by that logic, Martha's the best companion![/QUOTE]

And it was written by the current head writer of the show. So what does that say? :lol:

David Tenant was great, but the writing was VERY weak at times. The season finales became really blah and just unwatchable after awhile because they never did anything new. How he left just felt way to forced and out of place. Plus Donna... :cry:

Season 5 is the new start of the new trilogy of seasons. It's wonderful and different while being the same. I really enjoyed season 6 a lot, The Silence is tons of fun.

[quote name='elessar123']Unfortunately, it's 50Hz.[/QUOTE]Same problem that my S5 steelbook set has, though it plays just fine in the BDRW drive mounted in my HTPC. PS3 wouldn't give it the time of day, as would most BD players.

Some region-free BD players will change the 50Hz up to 60Hz and have it work on a NSTC TV.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']I've got one on hold for me so that I can stop by and pick it up after work. Thanks op, that's finally cheap enough that I can justify picking up the series on blu ray (knowing that buying one will cause me to pick up all of the others as well ;) )

For anyone that's curious, I looked into it a bit and decided that I don't want the S6 pt. 1 and S6 pt. 2 sets. The complete Series 6 box set comes with both of those sets, "A Christmas Carol," and also has a bunch of DW short films that are only available on that set. The only thing that the complete S6 doesn't have (that the individual releases do) is the promo video from the single disc Christmas Carol release.[/QUOTE]I don't suppose the DW short films are on the web somewhere as they used to be web shorts?

I have Christmas Carol as a separate disc, so S6.1 and S6.2 for $40 isn't a bad deal at the moment.

[quote name='bigdaddy']And it was written by the current head writer of the show. So what does that say? :lol:

David Tenant was great, but the writing was VERY weak at times. The season finales became really blah and just unwatchable after awhile because they never did anything new. How he left just felt way to forced and out of place. Plus Donna... :cry:

Season 5 is the new start of the new trilogy of seasons. It's wonderful and different while being the same. I really enjoyed season 6 a lot, The Silence is tons of fun.[/QUOTE]

This is very similar to what I feel. I like Tenant as the Doctor, but some episodes felt so weak in my mind. Not saying that Smith hasn't had some bad ones too, but overall, I find myself enjoying this current Doctor the most.

And yes, the Silence and the Weeping Angels have been my favorite enemies thus far in the series.

In for one OP. I saw this yesterday, but decided to wait. Looking at the prices online, this is a great price. Now I just need the complete series six.

[quote name='shrike4242']I don't suppose the DW short films are on the web somewhere as they used to be web shorts?

I have Christmas Carol as a separate disc, so S6.1 and S6.2 for $40 isn't a bad deal at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if you don't care about special features or the Christmas special the half season sets aren't bad. I'm pretty sure you could find most of the special features on youtube, but it's just easier to have them all in one place. I was lucky enough to get my Series 6 set when it came out for like $33 due to a BB employee mislabeling one of the sets for that price.

I'll edit the other sets into the OP.

[quote name='shrike4242']Good to know it's finally on the cheaper side. I ended up importing the S5 Steelbook from Amazon UK back in the day, though it's Region B only.

Might pick this up as a cheaper option to be able to play on something other than my HTPC.[/QUOTE]

AFAIK it's not region locked... it's just 1080i50 and is, therefore not fully compatible (1080i60) like the Tennant Specials set or first three seasons of Torchwood.

I'd imagine that the shorts have to be somewhere, but I'm not sure where. At one time there was a site that had them all imbedded, but it looks like all but one of them were taken down by the user.

If you have the movie already, then 6.1 and 6.2 would probably be the better option. The cheapest I've seen a new copy of the Complete Series 6 is $60. $20 is a bit much for a handful of shorts.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']
If you have the movie already, then 6.1 and 6.2 would probably be the better option. The cheapest I've seen a new copy of the Complete Series 6 is $60. $20 is a bit much for a handful of shorts.[/QUOTE]

It's more than just a handful of shorts though. According to my set:

5 X Night and the Doctor additional scenes
2 X Comic Relief sketches
Commentaries
4 X The Monster Files
5 X Prequels
Trailers
14 X Doctor Who Confidential
Doctor Who Confidential: A Nights' Tale

[quote name='Zerok']It's more than just a handful of shorts though. According to my set:

Commentaries
4 X The Monster Files
5 X Prequels
Trailers
Doctor Who Confidential: A Nights' Tale[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's a fair share of extras in the series set... it just bothers me that the 'Confidential' episodes are the cutdown versions. I used to have all of the full episodes in HD, but one of them got deleted somehow and that makes me a sad panda... :(

[quote name='larrythefatcat']AFAIK it's not region locked... it's just 1080i50 and is, therefore not fully compatible (1080i60) like the Tennant Specials set or first three seasons of Torchwood.[/QUOTE]Sorry, that's what it was when I tried to play it on my PS3 and a different BD player.

PC with BDRW drive plays it without any issue, thankfully.

[quote name='Zerok']It's more than just a handful of shorts though. According to my set:

Commentaries
4 X The Monster Files
5 X Prequels
Trailers
Doctor Who Confidential: A Nights' Tale[/QUOTE]
I should have been more clear about that comment being specifically aimed at Shrike. He was asking about the shorts, so I think that for him the individual sets would be better. If he had asked about the shorts and all the other extras, I'd have answered differently. Of course, that may have been because the shorts were the only things I mentioned.

I still think the complete set is a better deal, even if you do already own the Christmas special. The Monster Files are on the individual releases, but I don't think that the DW Confidentials are. I also completely agree with wishing that they were the full versions of the Confidentials. However, I haven't seen the edited ones, so they may not be so bad.

bread's done
Back