Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series Blu-Ray $19.99 at Best Buy.

Zerok

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
The cheapest I've ever seen a Doctor Who season, especially a complete Blu-Ray set.

Edit: Other sets available as well as part of their "Best of Britain" promotion:

Being Human: Season Three
Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series
Doctor Who: Series Six Part One
Doctor Who: Series Six Part Two
Frozen Planet: The Complete Series
Human Planet: The Complete Series
Life (Should be noted this is the Oprah narrated version, not the David Attenborough one.)
Sherlock: Season One
Sherlock: Season Two
Torchwood: The Complete First Season
Torchwood: The Complete Second Series
Torchwood: Children of Earth (AKA Season Three)

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question:

Is Life feat Oprah any good? I really want to jump on Life but for some reason I feel as though I would be getting the lesser version of the two available.

[quote name='joshnorm']Quick question:

Is Life feat Oprah any good? I really want to jump on Life but for some reason I feel as though I would be getting the lesser version of the two available.[/QUOTE]

No, it's not. She's a terrible narrator (sounds like she's speaking to a child) and IIRC there is also footage cut as well. Get the real BBC version.

[quote name='takotchi']No, it's not. She's a terrible narrator (sounds like she's speaking to a child) and IIRC there is also footage cut as well. Get the real BBC version.[/QUOTE]

Damn, was worried about that. Thanks I will skip it and wait longer.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Martha is my 2nd favorite companion. Amy/Rory being the first. Marta might be tied with Rose, but I detested Donna. Even when the actress who played Donna started on The Office I was not a fan. I suppose it wasn't the companion, but just the actress, found her very grating.[/QUOTE]

Ok, we can reasonably disagree on whether Amy/Rory is better than Rose but there's no way in hell I can accept that Martha > Rose. Not one chance, sir.

Martha suffered from the constant in-universe comparisons to Rose. It also didn't help that her sole season had the weakest finale.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Ok, we can reasonably disagree on whether Amy/Rory is better than Rose but there's no way in hell I can accept that Martha > Rose. Not one chance, sir.[/QUOTE]

I will admit my reasons for preferring Martha over Rose is a visual one, however shallow it might be. I did really enjoy the relationship that developed between Rose and The Doctor.

The great thing about opinions is that they are not facts and as such can be neither right or wrong. You don't need to agree or accept my opinion, but it is still mine to have.

Was able to get both the First and Second Season of Torchwood at my local best buy.
They had an end cap dedicated to this sale.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']I will admit my reasons for preferring Martha over Rose is a visual one, however shallow it might be. I did really enjoy the relationship that developed between Rose and The Doctor.

The great thing about opinions is that they are not facts and as such can be neither right or wrong. You don't need to agree or accept my opinion, but it is still mine to have.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying Martha isn't attractive but she just never had the same "feel" of being a companion as Rose and Amy/Rore did. Even Donna felt like more of a companion that Martha. You absolutely nailed the reason why Rose is my favorite companion. Her relationship with the doctor was definitely the most charismatic; there was some real chemistry there (especially with Tenant).

I actually really enjoyed the BBC version of Being Human. I picked up a cheap copy of season one on bluray so I'm going to try and pick up season three at BB this afternoon.

Planning on getting Frozen Planet and I might pick up Torchwood season one even though I have never seen it but I have heard good things.

[quote name='LordVila']I actually really enjoyed the BBC version of Being Human. I picked up a cheap copy of season one on bluray so I'm going to try and pick up season three at BB this afternoon.[/QUOTE]

Original version is the best version, the cast just works so well together. I tried a few episodes of the American remake and I just couldn't get into it. Semi-spoilerish if you haven't seen season three:
I still haven't been able to bring myself to start season four. ;_;

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm not saying Martha isn't attractive but she just never had the same "feel" of being a companion as Rose and Amy/Rore did. Even Donna felt like more of a companion that Martha. You absolutely nailed the reason why Rose is my favorite companion. Her relationship with the doctor was definitely the most charismatic; there was some real chemistry there (especially with Tenant).[/QUOTE]

I think with Rose I found her a little....whiny perhaps, but I think that was because she was developing feelings for The Doctor.

The main reason I liked Martha was that she was less of a companion and more of a partner I suppose, she felt less dependent on him and was able to stand on her own feet more often then the others. Granted this might just be my rose-colored (no pun intended) memories and if I re-watch the older seasons I may better understand my reasons.

The reason I did not like Donna was just the actress I suppose, she comes across very....smug I suppose. At first I thought it was just what the directors/writers/whatever wanted her to portray, but she is the same way in The Office. Perhaps they wanted the same attitude from her, but it just got under my skin.

Amy/Rory really made their companionship more into a family IMO. Like The Doctor was the dad and they were his kids. Always looking out for them and checking in on them. Plus,
The fact that River is their daughter and as far as I recall she either marries The Doctor or has a significant relationship with him that spans time and space. It basically makes Amy and Rory The Doctors parents in-law. Kind of twisted in a weird way, but I liked the family unit made.

[quote name='Zerok']Original version is the best version, the cast just works so well together. I tried a few episodes of the American remake and I just couldn't get into it. Semi-spoilerish if you haven't seen season three:
I still haven't been able to bring myself to start season four. ;_;
[/QUOTE]

Don't start season 4. Just pretend it ended.

Ugh... UPS just delivered my Season five set and it is completely demolished. The discs are fine, but at least two of the disc trays have been reduced to dust. I really hate how they package stuff for shipping. :(

[quote name='Saix_XIII']
Amy/Rory really made their companionship more into a family IMO. Like The Doctor was the dad and they were his kids. Always looking out for them and checking in on them. Plus,
The fact that River is their daughter and as far as I recall she either marries The Doctor or has a significant relationship with him that spans time and space. It basically makes Amy and Rory The Doctors parents in-law. Kind of twisted in a weird way, but I liked the family unit made.
[/QUOTE]

I think that's when I start to realize that the most recently episodes weren't going to be my favorites. They started getting way too sentimental and in my mind the Doctor doesn't act sentimental. He is there for the excitement and adventure. I think of the line "Everybody lives" and it shows that the Doctor assumes he will fix everything every time and doesn't get all sappy and emotional until some big tragedy is just about to happen that he knows he can't stop. I guess Smith just gets too sappy for me too often.

[quote name='momouchi']I think that's when I start to realize that the most recently episodes weren't going to be my favorites. They started getting way too sentimental and in my mind the Doctor doesn't act sentimental. He is there for the excitement and adventure. I think of the line "Everybody lives" and it shows that the Doctor assumes he will fix everything every time and doesn't get all sappy and emotional until some big tragedy is just about to happen that he knows he can't stop. I guess Smith just gets too sappy for me too often.[/QUOTE]

The great thing about Doctor Who is while each actor plays the same character fundamentally, when he regenerates his personality changes.

Plus, The Doctor was always sentimental. Why do you think he always wanted to save everyone? Because he cared. Why do you think he always had a companion, because he hates being alone/the "last" of his kind. I think the core of who The Doctor is, is that he is so flawed to the core in terms of relationships it kind of makes him human.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Why do you think he always had a companion, because he hates being alone/the "last" of his kind. I think the core of who The Doctor is, is that he is so flawed to the core in terms of relationships it kind of makes him human.[/QUOTE]

He wasn't the "last" of his kind until the reboot, really. And even then,
the Master was around until Matt Smith

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the shelf tag for Dr. Who S5 and two S6 parts states the sale ends 11/17. I assume the rest of the Best of Britain promo is the same.

I picked up Being Human Season 3 and Torchwood Season 1. After what I have seen of Torchwood so far I think I am going to pick up the other two seasons that are on sale.

Definitely worth it for torchwood. Season 2 was less good( not saying it wasnt good at all though)and 3 was just amazing IMO. S4(miracle day) was pretty great too, but you can see the American writers influence that was brought in. That's the only one I've been needing too :(

[quote name='elessar123']He wasn't the "last" of his kind until the reboot, really. And even then,
the Master was around until Matt Smith
.[/QUOTE]

Hence the quotes around "last"

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Don't start season 4. Just pretend it ended.[/QUOTE]
Disagree. Series four is surprisingly good, all things considered.

Also, all of you are wrong. The best doctor is Peter Davison. I will buy any DVD where he does commentary.

[quote name='simmias']Disagree. Series four is surprisingly good, all things considered.

Also, all of you are wrong. The best doctor is Peter Davison. I will buy any DVD where he does commentary.[/QUOTE]

I'm about 99% certain "Series four" is referring to 'Torchwood: Miracle Day'... mostly because Series Four of the new Doctor Who series is pretty damn amazing. The stories are generally interesting/exciting and Donna being around all series definitely outweighs the few episodes brought down by the presence of Martha...

...then again, Martha *was* in 'Blink' and that's still one of THE BEST episodes... if not THE BEST!

[quote name='larrythefatcat']I'm about 99% certain "Series four" is referring to 'Torchwood: Miracle Day[/QUOTE]

The original context of the series four comment was about Being Human.

[quote name='LordVila']The original context of the series four comment was about Being Human.[/QUOTE]

Sorry... my bad. I (obviously) didn't bother to go back and read the entire thread...

[quote name='larrythefatcat']Sorry... my bad. I (obviously) didn't bother to go back and read the entire thread...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was about Being Human. Although, the same could be said about Torchwood. Miracle Day was... not good. It lacked all of the Torchwood charm, and really tried to downplay the Sci-fi aspects the series is built on. Then there was that ending... yikes.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Don't start season 4. Just pretend it ended.[/QUOTE]

I'll watch it eventually, despite my better judgement and having several people I know give up half-way through. I just can't let good things die. I did the same with Skins, although the batshit crazy ending to season four of that almost made up for how horribly they screwed up one of my favorite characters.

Took my Series Five set back to the local store for an exchange today. Even the worker who helped me was surprised at the shape it arrived in.

[quote name='Zerok']Yeah, it was about Being Human. Although, the same could be said about Torchwood. Miracle Day was... not good. It lacked all of the Torchwood charm, and really tried to downplay the Sci-fi aspects the series is built on. Then there was that ending... yikes.[/QUOTE]
Torchwood had charm? ;) Honestly, I never really liked anything they did until Children of Earth, which was brilliant and really came out of nowhere. I think the problem with Miracle Day was that it was 10 episodes instead of 5. I think it would have been much better if it had been the length of Children of Earth. Instead, they had to fill up time. It was a really strong concept, but yes, the ending was pretty bad. But what did you expect with Espenson and Davies at the helm?

I'll watch it eventually, despite my better judgement and having several people I know give up half-way through. I just can't let good things die.
You should. Again, it's quite good, once you get over the thing that's keeping you from wanting to watch.

On topic: I caved and bought DW series 5 and BH series 3. Neither price tag was marked down, no special section or anything, but both rang up with the right price. I might cave and buy S1 and 2 of Torchwood, even though I just said they aren't very good. :) I really do like me some Captain Jack and Gwen, though.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Would be nice if it wasn't so late. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

It's not THAT late... the sale goes until 11/17.

Dr. Who S5 is back in stock for shipping at Best Buy.

Now OOS again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recieved Doctor Who today. I have to ask: Why in the world does BBC America make their cases so freaking thick? I feel like I could kill someone with this hefty thing.

Is it likely that there will be a S7 "Complete" with more stuff than Part 1 and Part 2 combined? It seems like this happened with S6, but I haven't bought this show on disc before, so correct me if I'm wrong.

[quote name='takotchi']Is it likely that there will be a S7 "Complete" with more stuff than Part 1 and Part 2 combined? It seems like this happened with S6, but I haven't bought this show on disc before, so correct me if I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]Wait until 2013 and you'll have your answer.

bread's done
Back