Does anyone ever feel as though they have just too many games to play ??

Fortune_P_Dawg

CAGiversary!
I do, and I only have twenty-something PS3 games to play.

Between work, my ladyfriend, and my pals I only have so much time per week to dedicate to my hobby.

I'm always feeling like I need to pare down my library of games (even though it's just twenty-something) because I know for a fact that I'm not going to finish them all; they just pile up.

Ugh.

I do, and I don't hang out with a ladyfriend or friends too much.

I can only play games for like an hour at a time, then I stop. I get bored.

You need a purge then. Sell/trade everything you don't really want to play. Then don't buy anymore games until you're done with those. The games coming out now that you like will still be around later and probably be cheaper anyway. Even if you end up re-buying or trading for games you get rid of now you'll probably still either break even or save some money.

Also - this should probably be in general gaming.

I used to, so going into this generation I stopped picking up games unless I had time to play them. So I never have more than 1 or 2 unplayed games on the shelf.

I'll never play all the great games I want, so I just pick up whatever I feel like playing and have 1 or 2 games on the shelf to pick from when I finish a game.

Has worked out great as I don't feel overwhelmed by a back log (never had a huge one, but used to have 8-10 games unplayed at least). And saves money as I'm always behind on games so I just get most of my games off Goozex. And if not they've dropped in price a lot by the time I get around to them.

I've only gotten two games at launch the past couple of years. MW2--which was a birthday gift. And Mass Effect 2 this spring, as it was a must play day 1 game for me as I loved the first one. Only game I bought in 2008 new was Gears 2.

I always have too many games. The problem is aside from only having an hour or so a night to play the, it's seeing something on sale/clearence for under $10. I know I'll probably never play it and may not even want to play it, but.... It's there and I should buy it now because it might be gone next time I go to the store and that's when I'll -really- want it.

This is why all games should be 10-12 hours MAX. Too many great games and nowhere near enough time to play them all. It's not a money issue - it's a time issue.

Definately. I (shamefully) sometimes miss those days pre-kids when the wife I would work different schedules. One day a week I would have a full 8 hours all to myself. 8 hours of pure unintrupted game time. It was bliss.

Like too many movies to watch, definitely too many games to play. I'm resisting buying Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, etc. because of the backlog.

I do the occasional purge, though sometimes I put shorter games to the front of my playing queue - I can finish them faster and sell them off. Or I put up a game for sale and start playing it immediately, giving me 7 days to finish it. Provides a little incentive.

Most of my games have been bought on sale, though - so the allure of a purge isn't too great; when you tend to buy games for $20 or less, there is as much value in keeping as selling. So I have a box of "games I'll want to play in 6 months" and a shelf of "games I want to play now." That way, only some are visible and I have a much smaller awareness of the backlog.

I'll still pick up a game on sale here or there, though. When Bioshock 2 or Metro 2033, etc. hits $10, I'll snag it no matter the size of the backlog. Just guessing I won't be at the forefront of the next hardware generation if/when it hits.

[quote name='Number83']No.[/QUOTE]
bullshit.jpg

At this point I'll have to save my PS3 games to play them when I retire from work in let's see.. 35 years from now

[quote name='javeryh']This is why all games should be 10-12 hours MAX. Too many great games and nowhere near enough time to play them all. It's not a money issue - it's a time issue.[/QUOTE]

Length doesn't really bother me as I don't obsess over playing all the good games.

I'm playing Fallout 3 now with all expansions etc. I'm having a blast, so I'm not thinking that I could be playing maybe 8-10 ten hour games in the same time span.

And not having a backlog as outlined in my post above, I don't feel like I"m wasting time I could be clearing out games. So that's another big benefit of only picking up games when you want to play them soon. You can just relax and enjoy a game and not feel like you're working to beat it and move on to the next one to reduce the backlog.

[quote name='batman1939']I have that plan too. I just hope I don't get too slow for those button press things in God of War and other games. And there is the other problem of adding too many to the backlog...or do you plan to live forever.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure really, I'm just trying to stop getting hyped for every single release. My backlog is not too bad tho. I just need to keep it as small as possible for my last years alive

Well, I'm thinking about purging a few games but statistically speaking my girlfriend and I will at some point go through a nasty, painful, typical 20-something break-up and I'll eventually get fired or laid-off and I'll need something to do while slowly draining my savings account... So, I guess I'll hang onto them, haha. :whee:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all. People will complain if there are too many game to play. People will complain if there are not a lot of games to play.

You just need to manage the time you spend in games better.

I have a lot of games I feel obligated to play since I got them, but there's only like 2 or 3 games I'll actively go and want to play which I'll feel is too much because I have other things that fill in my time.

my backlog is years deep at this point, but if i find a good game that is $10 i will still pick it up in hopes of plying it some day. :)

[quote name='evildeadjedi']All the time, yet I keep buying them when the deal is good enough.[/QUOTE]
Looking at my backlog and waiting for my other games to come in the mail, yes. I Agree whole heartedly.

I do. I don't have friends, but a have a wife, 2 daughters, and a lot of extended family obligations. Although as of late I'm finding I don't want to play what I have. I want stuff that's not out yet or something older. It's odd to me and I haven't been like this before.

me no here is why i own ps3 and 360 why i have 360 for the game lost odyseey and blue dragon. im rpg fan mostly jrpg fan not much games interest me.

so im always jonesing like addict for rpg resonace of fate bored me its good game but there no storyline at all but i need to finish it first before i trade it i just cant get into finishing it there no story at all lame aint it.

next game i getting is trinity universe some ps2 rpgs i never played

Got my 360 in August '09 and PS3 this January ish I think. Fall Semester was a time consuming one so I was just collecting games I found cheap since August. So now I have a ridiculous backlog and time to play them.

Was having a blast playing a lot every day then all of a sudden half way through Lost Odyssey I burned out. And now I have trouble playing any game for more than an hour straight. Usually pop in Rock Band 2 for 15 - 20 minutes every 2 - 3 days. Just got Alan Wake and got to Episode 2 and haven't played it in a couple days.

So many Triple A titles to play and a dumb amount of used games I picked up from goHastings in the $5 - $20 range.

I get obsessive compulsive about single player achievements so I end up playing games well after I "beat" the game. (Probably the culprit in me burning out.)

Also started goozexing with games I find on eBay that will fetch 1000 points that were purchased for $18 - $22 ish.

Access to cheap games + achievements = insurmountable backlog

I have at times. I try to limit myself to 5 games at a time on a system. I recently have just been giving my games to relatives when its something I know that I wont take time to enjoy. I use to just trade them in towards newer games but I just got tired of doing that when I know others that would enjoy them.

I have definitely been feeling the crush of the backlog lately. I have all the systems, which I never intended to have happen...yet here they are. I do resell some, trade a few, but buy much more. I know I should just wait until they are even cheaper but, as another CAG said recently, I feel more like a collector than a gamer sometimes.

I work full time but I dont have to bring work home with me. I don't have kids, and my boyfriend spends a lot of time on Second Life, but my problem is finding time after doing all the household stuff, and after doing various favors for friends, and then hoping that there are no sports on tv. I've really contemplated getting my own tv, but I really can't afford that. Erg. :whistle2:/

my problem with having too many games right now are the crazy sudden sales some companies have. I just can't pass up some of the deals from steam, amazon and newegg. Plus, I work in a dept store and can sometimes get 35% off all items that we carry. If I were to stop buying now. I just have enough games(or gameplay from the games) and dvds to last me the rest of the year. lol

I use to. Back in college, I used to buy a ton of games. I never got to them between work, the gf, and schooling. I ended up selling alot of them because I knew I would never play them with the amount of new games out.

Fastforward to today... I have a gamepass at BB. I only play the games checked out on it. I don't buy many games at all now. I limit myself to a few exceptions, mainly A.
A) I get hooked on MP i.e. BFBC2, Rock Band, etc
B) the game is super long i.e. RDR

I say I have shamefully completed say less than 10% of my collection. :( What bothers me is that my games either have multiplayer parts that I think extend the life of the game, until the server gets shut down or no one plays it anymore. The other part is that the game has become too frustrating to beat so I move on. Finally it's most likely on a system I don't play anymore because of the 360 :(

For example, MW2....I bought it back in Nov...have I completed the story? Nope...Have I completed the MP part? yes! Do I keep on playing it every day? Yes!

Social games have a long life to them thanks to mutliplayer and DLC so they can never be truly done. Games like Rock band and Guitar hero can never get old when you have friends come over and jam with you for hours. So tossing that out would be wrong.

Why do I have the feeling that my trade list is about to become bigger ?

I have a simple system. It used to be the "cannot resist" price point to buy a new game I wanted was $30, but now because of my backlog, it is $15. I am OK with not playing the brand new release, as long as it is a good game, it is about the experience.

So...I play the games that are worth the most first to trade them in, unless there is a sequel on the horizon. Otherwise, I just play what I feel like.

Anybody have 200 cd's or dvd's on the shelf? Whats the difference?

[quote name='sassylaurie']
Anybody have 200 cd's or dvd's on the shelf? Whats the difference?[/QUOTE]

CDs and DVDs I'll listen to/watch every so often over the years.

99.9% of games, once I beat them I'll never touch them again. Just a different level of hobbies, I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore by a long stretch. Others are more into gaming and want to keep them around to maybe replay them, or just enjoy collecting games etc.

That said, I did give to family/donate to goodwill 50 or so DVDs the last month or so as I'm moving again and decided to ditch stuff I bought years ago and won't watch again now that I'm older (not so into cheesy action flicks etc.), stuff I'd upgraded to blu ray (or plan to when they come out on blu) but hadn't had any luck trading on Goozex etc.

And I don't buy many movies anymore as I typically prefer watching something new on Goozex.

CDs I buy less, but just because I'm mainly just buying new albums from bands I've been into for years as I lost the time/interest to really try to discover new music. And I really only listen to music in the background these days while working etc.

So in general, the older I get the less I find any need to buy and collect things. Games have definitely gotten hit the harders. I only play a handfull a year. Have probably averaged playing 5-7 games a year this generation. All but 2 or 3 the past couple of years I've gotten off Goozex. All get traded back after I'm done playing them.

Yes and No. My backlog is pretty small compared to others here, but a quarter of it is RPGs, which makes it seem daunting.

I think especially on a site like this it's too easy for people to just buy for the sake of buying. My definition of a backlog is 2-4 games that I haven't started yet and despite avidly browsing this site that's rarely the situation with me.

As long as you keep your spending habits in check and only buy what you really want to play (and know you have time to play) then you never should feel swamped with a backlog. There's no point buying a new game because it's $20 off when, by the time you actually get around to playing it the average price is even lower than what you paid for it. I wouldn't be surprised if most people buying stuff just because it's on sale end up losing more money than if they'd just waited to buy it when they were caught up with their other games.

Yes, if you include all systems and generations I have a few 1000 I will never get to.

But even on this current generation I still have probably 50 to get through or so.

Part of it is lack of time and then another part is that sometimes games are long. I don't have much time to play and so far on Nier I've put in about 35 hrs. But being slow on the uptake does make playing the games a little cheaper because of sales, people getting rid of used games, etc. That's how I got ODST a while back, and that's how I just recently got Mod Warfare 2.

I was doing well, playing one 'story' game, one multiplayer, and one party game at a time.
But I got a good deal on Mass Effect 2, I got Bioshock 2 and Red Faction from Goozex, I bought Record of Agarest War, and my wife wants to keep playing Borderlands. Then I'm trying to whittle down my unwatched DVD pile, while still getting my nine bucks a month from Netflix. And that doesn't count work, family, household, etc. And I still haven't even started my replay of Fallout 3 GotY or the Dragon Age expansion.
When I was younger I liked long games like RPGs because you got a lot of value out of them [at least if they're tolerable] and I had more free time. Then I started appreciating games that were shorter, 12-18 hours or so, especially when you could resell them and it would cost you a net of 0-15 dollars or so. But games with lots of replayability [Borderlands] and deep long storylines or gameplay you don't want to rush through [Fallout, mass effect, Agarest, Dragon Age], I'm behind again.
The good news is I'm set for entertainment products for a while, and there's not much I'm looking forward to in the near future.
The bad news is I've got thirty bucks in Best Buy gift certs and RZ certs I need to use, and we're getting close to finishing Borderlands again.

I've gone back and forth on the length issue.

Like you, super busy and hard to fit long games in while keeping up on work, social obligations and other hobbies (which for me are higher on my priorities list than games).

So I was all about 10 hour shooters etc. for a while. Lately I've been back on the RPG camp putting 70+ hours into Mass Effect 2 in a couple of play throughs this spring, and dumping 30 some hours into Fallout 3 so far.

I've just kind of accepted that I'm fine taking a couple of months to play through an RPG and not worry about the fact that I could be playing several shorter games etc.

That said, I do get burnt out on RPGS still since they suck me into marathon sessions and I do end up neglecting other hobbies, not getting enough sleep etc.! So I'll definitely be taking a break from RPGs for a bit after finishing Fallout 3. Other than playing any ME2 DLC!

I also got Bioshock 2 from Goozex (well on it's way to me anyway), so that will be up next. After that, I don't know. Not really anything on my to play list other than Dragon Age--and not sure I'll be ready for an RPG by that point, and want to wait for the likely Game of the Year edition.

bread's done
Back