Donkey Kong Country™ Returns: Out Now!

Some of the Puzzle Pieces are kinda hard to spot. I'm going back and getting all of those now. Trying to get Shiny Gold Medals seems like it'll be a major chore, so I probably won't try. Although I think I will try
to beat every Mirrored level.

I tried this out with my nephew this weekend, and the 2-player mode doesn't seem like it's all that much fun. One player can get too far ahead of the other and cause a mess, or Diddy can jump on DK's back and do nothing the whole level. I don't know how they could've done it any differently, but it's a bit disappointing.

And what's up with these games being so punishing? Between this and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, I'm really starting to feel my age.

I started this, but I really hate how they implemented the shaking controls. It's really awkward so I went back to Epic Mickey.

[quote name='spydey']I started this, but I really hate how they implemented the shaking controls. It's really awkward so I went back to Epic Mickey.[/QUOTE]

I also wish they would let you map the shake to maybe the A button or something. How's Epic Mickey? It seemed very generic to me (plus it is an ugly game).

[quote name='javeryh']I also wish they would let you map the shake to maybe the A button or something. How's Epic Mickey? It seemed very generic to me (plus it is an ugly game).[/QUOTE]

Epic Mickey is a pretty clever puzzle game. I'm enjoying it so far. Only 3 hours into it.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I tried this out with my nephew this weekend, and the 2-player mode doesn't seem like it's all that much fun. One player can get too far ahead of the other and cause a mess, or Diddy can jump on DK's back and do nothing the whole level. I don't know how they could've done it any differently, but it's a bit disappointing.

And what's up with these games being so punishing? Between this and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, I'm really starting to feel my age.[/QUOTE]
To me, Donkey Kong Country Returns doesn't look challenging enough, although I am sort of a platforming veteran.

I spent a few depressing lives on the first mine cart level alone. I thought I was good at platformers, but I guess not. I feel sorry for any children who get this game for Christmas.

This is harder than I thougt it would be. We're still enjoying it, but that's because my 15 year old son is good at these games. I've lost a step over the years, and it shows. The level designs are great and very clever--especially liked the tidal waves so far, but most of the time I have to enjoy these as Diddy and riding on DK's back until I'm needed. I agree with bennihana... kids need Super Mario Bros. Wii and not Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Even if you consider yourself a platforming 'veteran', I dare you get through a mine cart level without wasting a few lives. This has a lot of the old time 'trial and error' gameplay. Some days, I have no issues with retrying, but others I just want to smash my wiimote.
I have not used the super guide once, but I've definitely been prompted to do so.

[quote name='bennihana123']I spent a few depressing lives on the first mine cart level alone. I thought I was good at platformers, but I guess not. I feel sorry for any children who get this game for Christmas.[/QUOTE]

Kids usually smoke me at platformers.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']Kids usually smoke me at platformers.[/QUOTE]

Hah, I'm usually the one who has to help the kids at Super Mario Galaxy when they get stuck

Just popped this in today, grabbed it from warehouse deals for 28.99, played the first world and enjoyed it.

Does the game autosave after each level? I never did see it save, nor an option to save manually.

Awesome game so far.

Started today in co-op mode and it's a blast. It's way harder to work together and cooperate which makes things a lot more fun.

The plus side to co-op is if one person dies the other can revive them and vice versa without restarting the stage.

I'm echoing everyone's sentiment that the roll needs to be mapped to a button instead of shaking the damn controller. When a platformer is as unforgiving as DKCR is, you need precision.

I don't want to quit the game, but the controls really were implemented poorly.

Yep, for something requiring this much precise jumping and timing, the added Wii controls are nothing more than a reason for added frustration.

At some point during 7-4 the game stopped being fun. I think it was after my 30th tried. I had no problems during the first 2 checkpoints (beyond the usual retries), but the last piece must've been designed and played tested by some very masochistic people.

I'm determined to finish, but the fun factor is mostly gone after that stage.

I got this as a late Christmas present and just started playing. Man, were the Super NES DKC games this hard? It's a good hard though, enough to get your pulse racing a little bit but not so hard that I'm throwing the controller around (yet!).

I've got 2 more stages left in World 4 and I've only died once due to an accidental roll using the Wiimote+Nunchuck. Does rolling start becoming more necessary in the later levels? Trying to blow out an enemy's flame can be tough when you have little room to work with but other than that, I really don't have a problem with the controls like I expected to. I do like the challenge of the game. It makes every banana, coin and extra life you pick up meaningful. I died so many times trying to finish 1-K but I was determined and finally beat it. Great feeling of accomplishment that you don't get from a lot of games these days.

[quote name='Killbomb']Great feeling of accomplishment that you don't get from a lot of games these days.[/QUOTE]
Demon's Souls says hi.

I finished Kirby's Epic Yarn yesterday so I am now finally ready to play DKC:R. I can't wait to get started, my enthusiasm has nearly doubled now that I have the Classic Controller ready to go with help from some of my HomeBrew friends. Oh Donkey Kong it will be so good to ride Rhinos and swing from vines with you again!

While I agree that classic controller support would've been nice, I had zero problems with the Wiimote/nunchuk combo. The Wiimote sideways option didn't work great for me, but I had a blast once I switched.

Also, rolling? I honestly got through 98% of the game without needing to roll. When I did need it, it worked fine. Not sure where everyone had a problem with it.

Tough game, though. That sense of accomplishment was right... it was the first time in a while where, sure, I was getting annoyed when I died, but I never once felt it was cheap or anything other than my own fault. That last boss was awful until I figured out the trick to it.

Top 5 Wii games, easily.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Demon's Souls says hi.[/QUOTE]

True. That and Ninja Gaiden 2 are the only games over the last few years I can think of that have challenge right from the beginning without having to up the difficulty level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I played through the first 2 worlds this afternoon and as expected I love it. The controls with the classic controller are awesome. I love the music, so damn nostalgic. The level designs are really great so far, the challenge has been there for sure. It does seem a little more difficult to me than the old DKC games, but that might just be because I've played the old ones about a billion times, just about have the levels memorized by now.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Wait, I thought you couldn't play with a classic controller. Is this false? That would totally change the game.[/QUOTE]

yeah - seriously... my one (big) complaint is having to shake the controller to roll and stuff. If this could somehow be mapped to a button that would be awesome.

Ah sorry if I got your hopes up, you can only use the CC with a hacked Wii (which I did to mine almost solely to play this with the CC lol).

Anyways I just finished the game this afternoon and I have to say I loved it. I am such a huge fan of the SNES ones, I have been waiting years for a proper sequel and BAM! here it is. It was definitely a challenge in parts but I never got too frustrated playing it. The level designs are fantastic imo and the remixed classic music is like an explosion of awesome in my ears. I just hope with the sales the way they are (which is great) that we will get a sequel soon, hopefully with Retro involved again, they really did do a great job. This ended up being one of my favorite games from last year without a doubt.

[quote name='javeryh']yeah - seriously... my one (big) complaint is having to shake the controller to roll and stuff. If this could somehow be mapped to a button that would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

That's the only thing I found annoying about the controls. The rest was fine and the game is great. It was my favorite Wii game of 2010.

LMAO, that was me, exactly, just like that in the mine cart levels and the flying barrel levels, but I enjoyed the game. I beat it and was very satisfied, now I'm going back and collecting everything.

bread's done
Back