Dragon Age 2 PC $39.99

I was really disappointed with the graphics on the PC and how trying to run Very High quality on my rig* resulted in massive corruption and single-digit frame rates. Dropping to High smoothed things out, but when Mafia II and Crysis Warhead run like buttah at 1920 rez with all settings maxed, this is pretty sad.

* Core i7-9208 @3.2 GHz, 12GB RAM, SLIed GTX460 1GB with 8800GT for PhysX.

Be sure not to complain about how bad this game is on the bioware forums or they will ban you from playing it.

[quote name='DirkBelig']I was really disappointed with the graphics on the PC and how trying to run Very High quality on my rig* resulted in massive corruption and single-digit frame rates. Dropping to High smoothed things out, but when Mafia II and Crysis Warhead run like buttah at 1920 rez with all settings maxed, this is pretty sad.

* Core i7-9208 @3.2 GHz, 12GB RAM, SLIed GTX460 1GB with 8800GT for PhysX.[/QUOTE]

This is the first game which has made me feel my PC could handle the highest settings. My specs are worse at i7-860, 8 gb ram, ATI 5850 1GB, but I'm running with very high quality, high res textures, 4x aa, 2x af. All of the other options are turned off.

I don't know how to measure my framerate (only option I've heard of is fraps which I'm not going to bother getting). It's far from silky smooth, but it isn't too bad either. There are hiccups where it will stutter and drop significantly for a second though.

[quote name='Newl']Be sure not to complain about how bad this game is on the bioware forums or they will ban you from playing it.[/QUOTE]

Seriously?

[quote name='DirkBelig']I was really disappointed with the graphics on the PC and how trying to run Very High quality on my rig* resulted in massive corruption and single-digit frame rates. Dropping to High smoothed things out, but when Mafia II and Crysis Warhead run like buttah at 1920 rez with all settings maxed, this is pretty sad.

* Core i7-9208 @3.2 GHz, 12GB RAM, SLIed GTX460 1GB with 8800GT for PhysX.[/QUOTE]
dragon age 2 runs at 60-80fps on my rig on high 1920x1080 directx11 8x AA 16x Texture filtering

[quote name='henrylin22']dragon age 2 runs at 60-80fps on my rig on high 1920x1080 directx11 8x AA 16x Texture filtering[/QUOTE]Lovely. I wonder WTF the problem is with getting decent performance for me? Mass Effect 2 was fine, too. Very weird.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Lovely. I wonder WTF the problem is with getting decent performance for me? Mass Effect 2 was fine, too. Very weird.[/QUOTE]

I think I remember reading somewhere that nvidia cards need the newest beta drivers...

not to discourage anyone but this game is a joke, the ending is an absolute joke and they didn't spend enough time on the game as you reuse the same areas and graphics/textures over and over and over. basically i cant believe they raised the price to 60 on us for this shoddy product.

[quote name='retrad']not to discourage anyone but this game is a joke, the ending is an absolute joke and they didn't spend enough time on the game as you reuse the same areas and graphics/textures over and over and over. basically i cant believe they raised the price to 60 on us for this shoddy product.[/QUOTE]

I think you spelled your name wrong.

sucks to be you two if you think the game isnt rushed out trash then.

eat your spaghettios and call it fine dining if you will but that doesn't make it palatable for the rest of us.

There's an issue with the nVidia drivers, there's a partial fix in the latest beta drivers, but nVidia is supposedly working on a full solution.

[quote name='DeathBringer']8800 GT and you expect to run this game on very high?

lol[/QUOTE]

Check his post more carefully, GTX 460 SLI, the 8800GT is just for PhysX. But yes there's something funny going on with Very High settings that just doesn't play nice at the moment, not sure whether it's an NVidia only problem or with the game itself.

[quote name='Psybuster']Check his post more carefully, GTX 460 SLI, the 8800GT is just for PhysX. But yes there's something funny going on with Very High settings that just doesn't play nice at the moment, not sure whether it's an NVidia only problem or with the game itself.[/QUOTE]

Probably both. No intent to start a fight, but by most accounts (including the music director of Bioware), the game was a rushjob. Apparently, ATI cards run the game very well so long as you have a high end one. Even super high end cards by nVidia cannot run the game as well because it was optimized heavily for ATI, due partly to ATI marketing for this game AND partly to the fact that the Xbox 360 (the lead platform) has an ATI GPU inside it.

I've been reading the threads on the latest nVidia drivers (270.32, 267.46, 267.26, 267.24/31) and all of them report that the game performs pretty badly on any of them and regardless of hardware. Turning on DX11 is supposed to be TOTALLY great in as far as the graphics go, but nVidia users are all being told by Bioware currently to run it at DX9 because DX11 is just not smooth enough for them. Naturally, Bioware and nVidia are being blamed. I believe a 270-based driver will show up in the next week or so to alleviate the situation, but the one that's floating around currently seems to have only marginal improvements for the game.

In the end, I think Bioware might have to be the one who fixes the performance problems.

While I do find the discussion on the game's graphics to be interesting...

On topic, is this site legit? I looks kinda sketchy to me.

[quote name='kutmulc']While I do find the discussion on the game's graphics to be interesting...

On topic, is this site legit? I looks kinda sketchy to me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, getting back to topic, I purchased the game this afternoon (using Google Checkout) and had the CD Key in my email 6 hours later. It activated via the EA DL manager fine and I'm downloading the 7GB file now.

So yeah, its perfectly legit to me.

DA2 for $40 is the best deal I've seen. How is it that they are able to sell it so low? And why aren't more people taking advantage of it? This thread seems to have died...

[quote name='retrad']sucks to be you two if you think the game isnt rushed out trash then.

eat your spaghettios and call it fine dining if you will but that doesn't make it palatable for the rest of us.[/QUOTE]

There are many people who find this game to be fine. Myself included. Granted I have not gotten to the end but any bitching will come on EA's behalf since EA is the one who wanted the game out fast, not Bioware. Also no need to personally assault someone over their opinion.

Anyway this is a great deal.

[quote name='ancientbarb']I think you spelled your name wrong.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DraconianAC']:applause:

Best post on this thread.[/QUOTE]

ancient barb just made my day.

One more note - after I started playing the game (which runs great on my Phenom II and ATI 5850) I noticed I didn't get a code for the Black Emporium bonus content. I sent an email to sales and had it within 15 minutes.

So if anyone takes advantage of the deal and doesn't get the extra code, just send them an email.

[quote name='retrad']not to discourage anyone but this game is a joke, the ending is an absolute joke and they didn't spend enough time on the game as you reuse the same areas and graphics/textures over and over and over. basically i cant believe they raised the price to 60 on us for this shoddy product.[/QUOTE]
The game only really shines if you're into dissecting character builds and combat mechanics. Otherwise, the story is incredibly weak (even by my standards because I couldn't care less about RPLoL) with no real goal in sight and the recycling of content tells me that somewhere in development they had to clamp down and finish the game. It was totally a rush job and you can blame EA for that.

I'm just glad I went with ATI this gen given all the complaints with nVidia.

[quote name='Psybuster']Check his post more carefully, GTX 460 SLI, the 8800GT is just for PhysX. But yes there's something funny going on with Very High settings that just doesn't play nice at the moment, not sure whether it's an NVidia only problem or with the game itself.[/QUOTE]Thanks for reading ALL of the words. :)

When running a rig with so much firepower inside, not being able to run just about any game at native rez with details maxed is just crazy. DiRt 2 runs at 100+ fps in DX11 mode. Purdy. Far Cry 2 benchmarks at 1920x1200, 8X AA, and everything maxed out at around 100 fps, so when a primarily console game barfs, something's just really wrong.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Thanks for reading ALL of the words. :)

When running a rig with so much firepower inside, not being able to run just about any game at native rez with details maxed is just crazy. DiRt 2 runs at 100+ fps in DX11 mode. Purdy. Far Cry 2 benchmarks at 1920x1200, 8X AA, and everything maxed out at around 100 fps, so when a primarily console game barfs, something's just really wrong.[/QUOTE]

Hey dirkbelig

just wondering, is even using a 8800GT to off set physX, even with out, going to take a hit on a 460 sli'd setup? I figure it's wouldn't, few frames at best. just want your take on this.

Any way I tested the demo on both my rig, 6870 crossfire setup and 6950 crossfire. game looks fine to me. but DA2 feels more geared towards console controller. I went with 360 version. will pick up ultimate edition for pc when released.

[quote name='Spoon_si']just wondering, is even using a 8800GT to off set physX, even with out, going to take a hit on a 460 sli'd setup? I figure it's wouldn't, few frames at best. just want your take on this.[/QUOTE]Not many games use PhysX - of the list I've only got Batman: Arkham Asylum, Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason, Mafia II, Mirror's Edge, and Unreal Tournament 3 - and with all the capacity of the Fermi cards, I suspect I wouldn't take much of a hit without the 8800GT. I just had an extra one on hand when I upgraded to the GTX460s, so I stuffed it into the box for maximum l337n355. ;)

[quote name='SadExchange82']Is the download manager a decent tool. Will I be able to install the game later on without redownloading it?[/QUOTE]

Bump for knowledge

[quote name='SadExchange82']Bump for knowledge[/QUOTE]

only game i ever got on the eadm was dragon age orgins.

I can still redownload it as of today. almost a year now.

i use mainly steam and still love the box copys.

I would stay alway from ubisoft dd (via digitalriver) service. 2-3 months i believe and you can't redownload it. bought a few games from there during a sale, only to find i can't redownload when my hdd crashed.

You can also re-install the game without re-downloading. If you look in the settings of the EADM, it will show you where the install files are kept and give you the option not to automatically delete them after the game installs. If you just back up those files, you can reinstall whenever you like.

Must keep telling myself to resist:

1) Rig running a 8800GT as PRIMARY CARD
2) Waiting on Ultimate Special super-duper edition later on - which gives me time to build a rig in the meantime.

But dang.

EADM is okay I guess. It allows you to download an install file for the game. If I've read their website correctly you can download the install file as much as you want but you can only download it for up to 1 year after you purchase it. However, you can install the game from the install file until the end of time. So if you want to reinstall later I suggest keeping a copy of the install file (which is what I have done with my EADM copies of ME2/DA1).

I have been trying to get the Black Emporium from this site, to no avail. To those that have gotten the key for it, HOW?? Their response:

"We are not really sure, we think that you might need to register the game at

Once you register your game with the game cd key, it will provide you access to the black emporium.

Also there is a download for it which you can download at

We are not sure if that download is what you need to get access or not."

They gave me a key for the preorder items, but I cannot get the key for black emporium. Not sure if I'm asking wrong or what?

[quote name='bk187']EADM is okay I guess. It allows you to download an install file for the game. If I've read their website correctly you can download the install file as much as you want but you can only download it for up to 1 year after you purchase it. However, you can install the game from the install file until the end of time. So if you want to reinstall later I suggest keeping a copy of the install file (which is what I have done with my EADM copies of ME2/DA1).[/QUOTE]

I think they got rid of the 1 year rule (originally they charged if you wanted longer download.) But I've bought games over a year ago (and did not pay for download protection) that I can still download just fine.

bread's done
Back