Dragon Age: Origins - $49.99 / $39.99 (PS3, 360 / PC) at Amazon

mkernan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (92%)
Am with you on that Kelegacy, am sure that the price to this will drop down to somewhere $30. I don't know is there need to be optimistic?
723.jpg

Yeah, I'm sure it'll drop sooner or later, just depends on whether you're dying to play it now or not. I might wait..... not sure.

The game is absolutely amazing. If you are on the fence, just buy it.

Kind of shocked it's already dropping in several places. Makes me kind of annoyed.

Amazon has smart people setting the price points...they know that a large % of game sales come in the first week, and by dropping the price now (beginning of the second week) they're hoping to drum up some interest in those of us who want the game, but don't want to pay full retail.

GS has matched the price drop, but only for online orders. Seems they've finally decided to be competitive w/ Amazon...

[quote name='csmason1']GS has matched the price drop, but only for online orders. Seems they've finally decided to be competitive w/ Amazon...[/QUOTE]

Considering Gamestop is run by monkeys, being competitive with Amazon might put them out of business. :pray:

thanks for the heads up OP. I think I might bite on this.

Interesting-o!

I might pull ze trigger if I can't wait for ze Black Friday (it looks like it'll be $40 at most places).

Is this the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate I've been wanting? Someone lemme know dammit :p

Like so many others, holding off until BF. I've got 7-8 games I need to catch up on, though this one intrigues me.

[quote name='Jodou']I'm thinking this will be in the neighborhood of $25-30 (PC) on BF, so I've been holding off.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I have so much to play right now that it would just collect dust anyways.

[quote name='confoosious']Considering Gamestop is run by monkeys, being competitive with Amazon might put them out of business. :pray:

thanks for the heads up OP. I think I might bite on this.[/QUOTE]

GS may be run be run by monkeys, but those be some damn RICH monkeys! ;)

Seems like they've at least figured out that lowering their online prices and giving free shipping on +$25 orders lets them compete w/ Amazon and still allows them to price gouge the "gotta have that game in my hands" or "don't trust/know about the online ordering" crowds.

Not bad, but aside from the backlog issues I also may simply hold out on this one longer until the main game price drops to accommodate the cost of all the costly dlc they plan to keep pumping out (or packaged as a GOTY or Platinum). ME2 is also higher priority, coming out January.

Gamestop actually lowered the price on this and few other items first (can't remember the other games off the top of my head), and once again, Amazon matched the prices. Definitely looking forward to getting this game before the end of the year, but right now COD will consume life.

Nice. I'd snap up the PC version now except I have a huge backlog, and even at LAUNCH they added a bunch of stuff to it. I might wait for Dragonage: The Actual Finished Game Edition :lol:

Or maybe I'll cave and snap it up-going in my cart.

I ordered this for $56.99. I emailed Amazon hoping to get those $6 refunded. Cited the preorder price guarantee. But I doubt it will work. Sigh.

[quote name='DesertLeo']this plus the $10 off coupon from KH:358/2 equals my price range. There goes my free time...[/QUOTE]

Didn't that expire Oct. 31st, or did they start a new promo?

(not that I am one to talk, I complained to them that it wouldn't work on Braid so they just re-issued the discount to me - nevermind that I ended up paying $15 for Braid when I wanted to pay $5 :p)

I have $35 in Amazon credit ready for when the Dragon Age C.E. drops in price. I'm still really worried I won't be able to play at a smooth framerate on medium settings though...

[quote name='Hostile']I have $35 in Amazon credit ready for when the Dragon Age C.E. drops in price. I'm still really worried I won't be able to play at a smooth framerate on medium settings though...[/QUOTE]

what's your specs???

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (running at 2.83 GHz)
GFX card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (slightly underclocking it because I had problems with games freezing)
RAM: 2 GB

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Bronson-Lee']Interesting-o!

I might pull ze trigger if I can't wait for ze Black Friday (it looks like it'll be $40 at most places).

Is this the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate I've been wanting? Someone lemme know dammit :p[/QUOTE]

Get this game! It's f'ing epic! This is old school Bioware! My fav was Icewind Dale, and so far this one is right up there with it! If you a BG fan, pick this one up!

[quote name='Hostile']CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (running at 2.83 GHz)
GFX card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (slightly underclocking it because I had problems with games freezing)

It'll depend on the resolution you're running but I'd expect smooth play at med. settings for everything up to 1920x1080

[quote name='Hostile']CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (running at 2.83 GHz)

If you're on a desktop, you could upgrade your RAM for really cheap, and it wouldn't be a huge hit to get a better video card, either.

I will add this game is terrific. $40 for the PC version is a great price.. don't bother w/ the console ones.. unless you have to, then do it haha

[quote name='mkernan']Yeah, I'm sure it'll drop sooner or later, just depends on whether you're dying to play it now or not. I might wait..... not sure.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. I can see it being $29.99 for PC when Black Friday hits (already $39.99 prices have been mentioned for PS3 and XBox360), but can I wait that long? :lol:

Your rig should be good enough to run the game a med. settings at 1680x1050.

You would do yourself well by getting another 2GB's of RAM and a 64-bit OS (Vista64 is terrific!), 'cause right now crusty old XP is holding you back. Seriously, when I went from XP to Vista64, my framerate in Sacred 2 went from an average of 45fps to 75fps.

Similar specs and the game runs flawless....

This game isn't a heavy hitter...

[quote name='$CASH$']It'll depend on the resolution you're running but I'd expect smooth play at med. settings for everything up to 1920x1080[/QUOTE]

[quote name='eastx']If you're on a desktop, you could upgrade your RAM for really cheap, and it wouldn't be a huge hit to get a better video card, either.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='AwRy108']Your rig should be good enough to run the game a med. settings at 1680x1050.

You would do yourself well by getting another 2GB's of RAM and a 64-bit OS (Vista64 is terrific!), 'cause right now crusty old XP is holding you back. Seriously, when I went from XP to Vista64, my framerate in Sacred 2 went from an average of 45fps to 75fps.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='xycury']Similar specs and the game runs flawless....

This game isn't a heavy hitter...[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys! Mass Effect wasn't running as well as I hoped so I was kind of afraid this would be worse.

My monitor's native res. is 1280x1024 and I'll probably be running it one notch smaller so I can do window mode. I still really want that C.E. to drop in price but I'll see how long I can hold out.

This game is great! Don't really mind the price drops got it for $37 anyways with $10 credit to use towards MW2...

For those interested in the PC version with older computers...

I'm running a Pentium D 2.8ghz, 8600gt with 512 ddr2 memory, 3 gigs of ram, Windows XP(I know it's an ancient machine), and the game plays just fine on medium settings. Some slowdowns at times but very playable.

Thanks for the info Ruitakim! Mine should be fine then, as I've got a dual core 2.4GHz Penryn and (probably slightly faster clocked) 32-core Nvidia GPU in my laptop. I should have a chance to read Deslock's review in PC Gamer tomorrow, and then may go ahead and order (along with SOME undecided version of Ultimate Sith Edition Force Unleashed).

I pre-ordered this from Amazon. Kinda ticks me off when they drop the price a week later. Why the hell would I ever bother to pre-order anything if they're just going to do that? They used to give a price match within 30 days if they dropped the price, but I doubt they'd do it anymore.

Are the console versions really that inferior? I tend to not bother with PC versions nowadays because my computer is ancient - Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, 2 GB ram, Radeon X800 XL.

So here is my Computer:

XP
AMD Athlon 3500 2.2
1.5 RAM
7600 GS 512 DDR2

I have read in the Dragon Age forums that people have been able to play the game in low-med settings with similar rigs.

What do you people think? Am I kidding myself trying to buy this game?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dreamcastguy']So here is my Computer:

AMD Athlon 3500 2.2
1.5 RAM
7600 GS 512 DDR2

I have read in the Dragon Age forums that people have been able to play the game in low-med settings with similar rigs.

What do you people think? Am I kidding myself trying to buy this game?[/QUOTE]

Should be fine, just run it on Medium to start...

bread's done
Back