Dragon Age Origins - Awakenings expansion out 3/16/10!

I was ready to pick this up till I heard that it's like World Of Warcrap and a game where you sit back and watch your character attack enemies. YAWN!

Of course, my buddies brother in law would probably love this game, since he's a huge WOW nut.

[quote name='pete5883']You realize that every Western RPG is like that, right? Diablo, the Baldur's Gates, Planescape, etc.[/QUOTE]

Diablo is, in fact, not like that.

To the guys complaining about the DLC, read a bit and you'd realize that the DLC was made once the game was finished.

Once a game is put into the certification process (along with getting an ESRB rating), you can't change the game.

So, the game development team has down-team, since basically there is nothing left to do. So, they decide to make some extra content because they have no other project to work on at the time. The same thing happened with Borderlands and it's -perfectly- fine.

EA/Bioware stepped it up though, and offered this DLC as FREE with new purchases of the game. That is a -very- nice thing that they are doing for you, gamers. And you complain about it.

They didn't have to give it free. They could've just charged for it to -everyone-. Stop complaining and be thankful.

The two scenarios

1) Dragon Age is sent in for Certification, No DLC is produced during the down-time.

2) Dragon Age is sent in for Certification, team makes some DLC during the down-time and GIVES IT AWAY FREE WITH NEW COPIES OF THE GAME.

Which option do you like better? Option 2.

I also believe the DLC was a way to push sales of Buying NEW game copy instead of used.

$55 used (gamestop)

or

$60 new with $15 of DLC

[quote name='token2k6']does anyone know if the DLC codes in the C.E. expire? I'm debating on whether to open this or not right now...[/QUOTE]

They do, somewhere around April/June 2010. I know it sucks. I'm torn about opening my 2nd copy of the CE and registering them vs. keeping it nice and sealed.

I bit on the wardens keep dlc as I had some cash in my wallet its basically a total waste of money. You get a few items, the quest took less than an hour and the only good thing is getting the storage box which should have been included in the game already or patched in for free. And to top it off once your done the quest part you can never re-enter the actual keep part which is beyond retarded as there was a few locked chests I left as I didn't have the correct party member to open them and figured I could come back to them later as I paid for the dlc, lol yeah not so much complete rip off.
The expiration date is right on the dlc cards themselves if you look.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']They do, somewhere around April/June 2010. I know it sucks. I'm torn about opening my 2nd copy of the CE and registering them vs. keeping it nice and sealed.[/QUOTE]

see, thats the big issue, and its taken a step further with now including 'timed' DLC. While you're getting something extra, you're forced to take advantage of it. I noticed this w/ the Sgt. Johnson code, it says in small print that it expires in 01/10. And its like how all digital copy movies are a waste if you don't redeem them b/c they expire in a year.

However, w/ this edition, the two sticker tape seals sure are nice if you can lift them off carefully. Since the codes expire, that would probably effect the overall value anyway. Thus, if you were to open it, use the codes, but keep the game in mint condition, the value should still hold up. Guess we'll have to see.

Just completed my first play through and WOW. For a game I didn't even intend on purchasing, I think I just played my personal Game of the Year.

Alright, I tried this game and I hated it. But due to the Black Friday deal where it's $35 I guess I'm SOL on getting $40 cash for it for now, huh?

It is a well done game from what I played of it, but the lack of full voiceovers versus that menu/speech system and the battle controls were deciding factors in my hating it so soon.

So I finally snagged this game during Amazon's Black Friday sale, and I'm really looking forward to investing an obscene amount of time in it. I don't suppose anyone has any extra GameStop-preorder DLC codes they'd be willing to throw at me, do they? I'd be ever so grateful!

I'm guessing the expanison will be standalone and won't require you to have the original game like PC expanisons do. I wonder how long it will be. Has to be pretty long for it to be worth 40 dollars.

Don't know as I found this at the link-
Available for pre-order now. Requires Dragon Age: Origins to play. Digital and boxed versions available. Cannot be purchased with BioWare points.
-so it looks like original game is needed or at least gamesave or something but knowing EA probably the game lol. Also found another article that said its about 15 hours in length seems like it should be dlc only versus an actual retail expansion when you consider its going to be available as simply dlc also.

well, I'm stuck in The Fade...not that I think I couldn't finish it, but at the last battle there, no matter what I do, I cannot attack, cast spells or open any of the radial menus. The crappy frame rate and choppy audio alone are making me wish I had not purchased this.

The story may be good, but the game itself is only slightly better than a polished turd on the PS3.

After almost getting a 360 to play Mass Effect 1 and 2... I decided to play this instead (with the hope that Mass Effect hits PS3 one day). I ordered it. Haven't gotten it yet. I hope it satisfies the itch that Fallout 3 and Demon's Souls did not (though those are 2 of my favorite games, they still leave room for a different RPG experience).

Anyone have any thoughts that have yet to be shared?

i honestly disliked the game it just left a bad taste in my mouth afr ter i finished the origin story . if you have played jade empire or baldurs gate for console you might understand. honestly i played the pc version and enjoyed it but this version takes a lot of the control out of your hands

[quote name='bjstucker']i honestly disliked the game it just left a bad taste in my mouth afr ter i finished the origin story . if you have played jade empire or baldurs gate for console you might understand. honestly i played the pc version and enjoyed it but this version takes a lot of the control out of your hands[/QUOTE]

I wish I could play games on PC. But I never have really been able to (aside from the occasional Diablo or Torchlight type game)... Just sitting in a computer chair in front of a monitor never has done it for me. In this instance (and some others), I know it is my loss.

[quote name='Saint Noir']I wish I could play games on PC. But I never have really been able to (aside from the occasional Diablo or Torchlight type game)... Just sitting in a computer chair in front of a monitor never has done it for me. In this instance (and some others), I know it is my loss.[/QUOTE]

Most video card can be hooked up to a TV. Then all you need is a good PC controller. I use logitech wireless rumblepad 2 and it's fantastic. You can map keyboard and mouse to it easily and it's very responsive. You can also assign any button to be a SHIFT button, which changes all other button assignments while its held down. In this way it's more flexible than the PC apps I've tried that let you use a PS3 controller on PC.

I've played Mass Effect 1 and DA:O on it and it was great.

Hey, everyone. I was just over at the EA store and noticed that they are showing the PS3 version of Dragon Age: Origins - Awakenings as "In Stock" for 39.95.
http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.171482300
If anyone still has credit, on their account, from the Best Buy Sims 3 card deals that we enjoyed last summer, this could be a pretty good price. Regular shipping is free but I now get charged CA tax. There is potential to make this deal even sweeter if you had pre-ordered Dante's Inferno and got the $15 discount code from the snafu that caused orders to be canceled.

I would have posted this in the deal's forum but I wasn't sure if the item will ship right away since the release date is listed as March 16. If anyone wants to jump on this and report back, let us know. I'm not because I don't have the first one and have a huge backlog of other games before I get DA:O.

Good luck!

Just wondering if the PS3 version of patch 1.04 for Dragon Age that came out on Tuesday was bugged like the 360 version and had to be pulled or if it was OK. If it's OK, I was going to recommend this game to some PS3-only owner friends I have. Thanks in advance.

bread's done
Back