Dragon Age Origins Collectors Edition (PS3) - Amazon 39.99

Well, no one else seems to care but I bought one - so thanks OP! I'm upgrading the regular version that I have yet to open (will probably just ebay that one and get back what I paid for it).

I read in one of the amazon reviews that the bonus content has a time limit and it expires after april 30th, 2010. Probably why it's so cheap. Still it's only 3 dollars more than the standard edition and it comes in a tin case.

[quote name='Uracat']I read in one of the amazon reviews that the bonus content has a time limit and it expires after april 30th, 2010. Probably why it's so cheap. Still it's only 3 dollars more than the standard edition and it comes in a tin case.[/QUOTE]

It really doesn't expire. I (as well as many other CAGs) used the DLC that came in DA:O from Gamefly this May/June without a problem.

[quote name='Uracat']I read in one of the amazon reviews that the bonus content has a time limit and it expires after april 30th, 2010. Probably why it's so cheap. Still it's only 3 dollars more than the standard edition and it comes in a tin case.[/QUOTE]

not trying to be mean or anything but that "tin case" is a steelbook.:D

[quote name='seether254']not trying to be mean or anything but that "tin case" is a steelbook.:D[/QUOTE]
How is that mean? You must come from a very non-confrontational household or something. However, It does say on Amazon's description that it's a tin case and not a 'steelbook.' :cool:

[quote name='Uracat']How is that mean? You must come from a very non-confrontational household or something. However, It does say on Amazon's description that it's a tin case and not a 'steelbook.' :cool:[/QUOTE]

To clarify, it's a Metal Pak, a cheap Chinese knockoff of a steelbook. Still, it looks nice.

[quote name='tossin']To clarify, it's a Metal Pak, a cheap Chinese knockoff of a steelbook. Still, it looks nice.[/QUOTE]
I had the game (no any more) it is steelbook case to hold both discs and everything else. It looks good tho. I think is worth the money, however if it last probably the price will go down again.

[quote name='wolverinevseveryone']Can somone that owns a Limited Edition version verify that the in-game content or DLC has a expiration date? I'd greatly appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

yes, there is an expiration date that has already passed.

however, people have been able to redeem it anyway.

You know, I've been meaning to pick this game up for a long, long ass time. But w/ the announcement of the sequel, I've kinda lost interest in this iteration.

[quote name='confoosious']yes, there is an expiration date that has already passed.

however, people have been able to redeem it anyway.[/QUOTE]

I redeemed the codes from my set this morning without any problems. You should be fine.

Isn't it at one point this CE was really really hard to get? I'm still not interested at $40, but the steelbook (i hate that term, it's not in the dictionary, so does the term boxset) is nice. But considering the game is old and all, the price will drop further... With expired code (even though it still works), people probably not attracted to it.

Why in the world would they have an expiration date on DLC? I thought the purpose was to encourage "new" purchase instead of "used"

I already own the 360 CE, so while I do want to play it again on PS3 eventually, I'll probably wait and see if they release another edition with all the DLC included.

[quote name='appleyum']Why in the world would they have an expiration date on DLC? I thought the purpose was to encourage "new" purchase instead of "used"[/QUOTE]

Im guessing it has to do with the pricing of the game dropping over time. And trying to make sure it doesnt drop too close or under the actual cost of buying those downloads online.
Im no expert though.

[quote name='appleyum']Why in the world would they have an expiration date on DLC? I thought the purpose was to encourage "new" purchase instead of "used"[/QUOTE]

Because they don't want to be legally obligated to keep the DLC up on their servers forever.

EA told Eurogamer that the expired DLC codes will still work. Like confoosious said, it's so EA at some point in the distant future can take those codes offline and say, "well there was an expiriation date on them."

I think as long as you redeem them before the sequel you should be good, but that's just a guess. As others have said, these codes have been redeemed this summer from various sales with no problems.

Also beware that if you don't have a Blu-Ray drive on your PC, you will have to contact EA to be able to get the soundtrack and wallpapers. Not sure if they send you a DVD or download codes, but I remember there being a story on Kotaku about it.

[quote name='tossin']To clarify, it's a Metal Pak, a cheap Chinese knockoff of a steelbook. Still, it looks nice.[/QUOTE]

Actually if you go to the thread on the 360 CE that was on sale at Best Buy, someone linked the thread about the tin with the Dragon Age CE. The first print run of them were this MetalPak company's tins, but at some point in Dec. a second (and probably final) print run was done and it was changed to an actual SteelBook.

This is also why all the ME 2 CE's on 360/PC were Steelbooks. It's theorized that EA couldn't come to a deal with Steelbook before launch so they went with someone else, didn't like the quality (colors are much more bland vs. the Steelbook ones) and came to an arrangement with Steelbook.

Most people who got the Steelbook one ordered the CE in Dec. mainly from the EA Store, there may have been a couple from Amazon. Those who ordered at launch, like me, got stuck with the MetalPak one.

Mine arrived today. Thanks. Just a heads up, the DLC is expired. The armor, special character, and special quest all expired April 30, 2010.

Just to clarify about the DLC expiration date thing. It won't expire because for the longest time there was a problem with getting it to work on PS3. They wouldn't show up on the list after redeeming the code. Your account would say you redeemed it successfully but it wouldn't show up in the DLC menu of the game. They couldn't solve the problem by April 30 so they just got rid of the expiration altogether.

Good price for this game. I got lucky and got a brand new one on ebay that was listed as the standard edition for less than $30.

We're discussing this in the 360 CE thread, but apparently Gamestop has listings now for an "Ultimate Edition" for Dragon Age to come out on Oct. 12 for $60.

Here's the PS3 listing:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=78683

Assuming this DOES NOT include Awakening, you save $9 if you wait for it instead of buying now and buying ALL the DLC seperately. But you can play it now while the releases are slowed down vs. in Oct. when things pick up, as this Ultimate Edition comes out 1 week before Fallout New Vegas.

I really want this, but if there is a GOTY edition I don't want it.

*Edit* Ultimate Edition is coming out. fuck yes, I'm getting that on release instead.

[quote name='jaydepps']Mine arrived today. Thanks. Just a heads up, the DLC is expired. The armor, special character, and special quest all expired April 30, 2010.[/QUOTE]

The codes still work. Mine arrived on Saturday. Everything is a go.

There's a little bit of a backstory on the DLC not expiring. Before the 1.03 patch the DLC codes wouldn't redeem correctly for many people and even though they would appear linked to your bioware account they wouldn't appear in your in-game download list basically making the DLC codes useless for some people. So Bioware issued a release saying that the DLC is valid indefinitely and none of the DLC codes are set to expire for any of the 3 platforms the game is on.

So yeah, you can horde the DLC codes and probably don't have to worry about them expiring anytime soon. Bioware is still supporting the game (they released the 1.04 patch just last week).

Plus new Dragon Age DLC comes out tomorrow! No reason not to jump on the DA:O bandwagon. But that steelbook is temping, I really want the DVD and soundtrack.

For those that just received the PS3 CE from Amazon, it's in a genuine steelbook or the wannabe that came with the launch copies?

Steelbook. I was hoping the collectors dlc was cross platform like the character creator/flash game.

Now I have the ce dlc o the ps3 but all the other dlc on 360. Oh well I mostly wanted the bonus disc, map and case.

[quote name='astupiddream']Steelbook. I was hoping the collectors dlc was cross platform like the character creator/flash game.

Now I have the ce dlc o the ps3 but all the other dlc on 360. Oh well I mostly wanted the bonus disc, map and case.[/QUOTE]

is there any way to tell besides opening it? I'm keeping mine sealed for now.

[quote name='eau']For those that just received the PS3 CE from Amazon, it's in a genuine steelbook or the wannabe that came with the launch copies?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='astupiddream']Steelbook.[/QUOTE]

Well, at least that is something. I did a giant d'oh! after reading on here about the ultimate edition - as I probably won't have time to play this any time soon anyway.

Mine should get here today I would think...

Does anyone have pictures showing the difference between the steelbook and the metal-pak? It looks exactly like the case my RE5 CE came in except it's taller.

I went back through Kotaku's back stories, and to get the bonus content off the disk unless you have a Blu-Ray drive on your PC, you have to contact EA Customer Support and they'll send you the content digitally through the EA Downloader software.

[quote name='DarkRider23']It really doesn't expire. I (as well as many other CAGs) used the DLC that came in DA:O from Gamefly this May/June without a problem.[/QUOTE]
Same Here

I received my copy today and it's the metal pak :whistle2:|

Would have preferred a steelbook since the metal pak has no spine title and all my other metal cases are steelbooks.

Perhaps only the 360 version has been reprinted with a steelbook packaging?

[quote name='eau']I received my copy today and it's the metal pak :whistle2:|

Would have preferred a steelbook since the metal pak has no spine title and all my other metal cases are steelbooks.

Perhaps only the 360 version has been reprinted with a steelbook packaging?[/QUOTE]

I got mine yesterday and am going to assume it is the same then. Can you tell before opening it?

[quote name='io']I got mine yesterday and am going to assume it is the same then. Can you tell before opening it?[/QUOTE]
Yes, you can. Peek into the spine area and see a curled edge of the metal case. Also, a steelbook has a plastic spine (where they put the spine title sticker) that is longer than the slip cover, so you can see the ends of the plastic spine sticking out a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
(Oops - earlier I realized I had edited eau's post to make my reply instead of making my own - the dangers of being a mod ;). Then CAG went down and I couldn't fix it - fixed now though).

I don't understand the first one - but I definitely don't have any plastic sticking out from the slip cover. I'd have to see a picture of both to really be sure though. I think the 360 version pictures linked earlier were all with the game opened up. Are there any differences on the back? For example, on the slip cover mine says "Disc made in the U.S.A. Tin made in China. Map made in Canada. Other printed materials made in the U.S.A.". So maybe the China thing means this is a metalpak? Oh well...

the only DAO collectors edition ive ever seen is the steelbook plastic on the spine and all dont know if they started making a metal pak one of not.

bread's done
Back