Dragon Age: Origins Collector's Edition - Xbox 360 - 39.99

Would anybody that got in on this rather have the PS3 version??? If so, I will order one from Amazon for you, and we can just swap versions. LMK!

[quote name='laserdogg']There were some actual Steelbooks used. My pre-ordered copy was a metal-pak or something like that...I heard later releases were real Steelbooks and ordered another copy from Amazon hoping for the best. It was indeed a Steelbook so I returned my first one....plan on keeping it sealed and picking up a used copy for a playing[/QUOTE]

This. I went through the motions a few months ago to get a 'real' steelbook one. It seems that most (or all) of the ones direct from EA store are the real ones. My two Amazon copies were both the fake ones, but that was months ago.

So, yeah, there are definitely 'real' steelbook editions of this out there. Very happy with mine. :D

[quote name='trunks982']can u please explain what is ret-con? give an example.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, lost track of this thread for a while lol. Paraphrasing wikipedia, "retcon" means to change previously established facts in a story, either by filling in backstory, removing unpopular events, or by changing "what actually happened".

Classic example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_shot_first. In the original Star Wars film, Han Solo was a badass and shot Greedo first. Later, in the Special Edition releases, Greedo shoots first but misses, in order to make Han more of a "good guy".

I believe something similar happens in Awakenings; somebody else can probably confirm it without revealing spoilers:
One ending in DA:Origins is that your character ends up dying. But in Awakenings, you can choose to load your Origins character and somehow live through your death?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong; I'm actually sort of curious now...

Wait wait wait... I'm a bit confused with "metal" case history here.... So, the initial batch of the CE came with "cheap" metal case? Then the later CE (exact same contents) has a better tin case, more like a real steelbook?

[quote name='Serpentor']Wait wait wait... I'm a bit confused with "metal" case history here.... So, the initial batch of the CE came with "cheap" metal case? Then the later CE (exact same contents) has a better tin case, more like a real steelbook?[/QUOTE]

That's the gist of it, yeah.

The initial CE was packed in something called a 'MetalPak' case, which is a cheaper feeling Steelbook knock-off. At some point, and I have no idea when, production changed to actual Steelbook cases. It's not 'like' a real Steelbook... it is a real Steelbook.

The MetalPak (I think that's the name anyway) actually have a completely different spine and just feel poorer quality overall.

How many of the actual Steelbook ones are out there, I have no idea. The guy earlier in the thread said he got one from Amazon, but neither of my two Amazon ones were Steelbook. The one I got from GameStop was also a Metalpak. It was only the one I got direct from EA Store that was a Steelbook.

Same contents, same look, but it's a Steelbook. This is also a random note, but the cloth map from my Steelbook has remarkably more vivid colors than any of the MetalPak ones I saw.

EDIT- Awesome, just found the thread with the pictures : http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249317&highlight=dragon+steelbook

[quote name='007']That's the gist of it, yeah.

The initial CE was packed in something called a 'MetalPak' case, which is a cheaper feeling Steelbook knock-off. At some point, and I have no idea when, production changed to actual Steelbook cases. It's not 'like' a real Steelbook... it is a real Steelbook.

The MetalPak (I think that's the name anyway) actually have a completely different spine and just feel poorer quality overall.

How many of the actual Steelbook ones are out there, I have no idea. The guy earlier in the thread said he got one from Amazon, but neither of my two Amazon ones were Steelbook. The one I got from GameStop was also a Metalpak. It was only the one I got direct from EA Store that was a Steelbook.

Same contents, same look, but it's a Steelbook. This is also a random note, but the cloth map from my Steelbook has remarkably more vivid colors than any of the MetalPak ones I saw.

EDIT- Awesome, just found the thread with the pictures : http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249317&highlight=dragon+steelbook[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info 007, appreciated. Wow, this is pretty interesting...

I hope these drops on the CE are in preparation for a GOTY collection. I'm not dying for a metal case but I'd love to get all the DLC together on one PS3 disc.

That's what I suspected as well. Especially with the recent announcement of DA2. I thought DA:Awakening was the GOTY edition, I guess I was wrong :bomb:

[quote name='Halo05']I hope these drops on the CE are in preparation for a GOTY collection. I'm not dying for a metal case but I'd love to get all the DLC together on one PS3 disc.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be damned, it does exist. And yet, I've not heard anything about it anywhere. I can't even find out anything about it when I google it except a spoof video regarding an "Ultimate Collector's Edition." This is strange. Was it announced or leaked anywhere else?

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']I'll be damned, it does exist. And yet, I've not heard anything about it anywhere. I can't even find out anything about it when I google it except a spoof video regarding an "Ultimate Collector's Edition." This is strange. Was it announced or leaked anywhere else?[/QUOTE]

crap. is that why the CE dropped?

[quote name='trunks982']crap. is that why the CE dropped?[/QUOTE]
Beats me. Maybe? It would make sense, but then again, it's been a while too. They'd be due for a drop if they're still around, I would think. But the weird part is that I can't seem to find mention of this "Ultimate Edition" anywhere but the Gamestop listing. Maybe it's a new listing? I don't recall seeing it when I looked through DA:O stuff on Gamestop the last time I looked a few weeks ago, but I wasn't paying that close of attention.

[quote name='senator81']Gamestop has Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition listed as coming out on 10/12/10.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man. I could've sworn I checked their site about it just yesterday but maybe I was incepted to believe that I had.

Well let's dissect this.

I think it's safe to assume Awakening WON'T be a part of this since it's a full expansion pack with a $30-40 MSRP and not just a simple DLC add-on mission (even though it's sold as DLC also.)

So we have:
Origins core game
Stone Prisoner (free in all new copies of the game and likely won't change with this)
Warden's Keep ($7 MSRP)
Return to Ostagar ($5 MSRP)
Darkspawn Chronicles ($5 MSRP)
Leiliana's Song ($7 MSRP)
Golems of Amgarrak ($5 MSRP) - this is the one coming out on Tuesday

Barring no more DLC releases after Golems, you save $9 if you wait for this edition if you buy any version of Origins for $40 and buy all the DLC seperately at MSRP. If you buy Warden's Keep and Return to Ostagar while they're on sale (360 version) you save $5 if you wait.

Also I seriously doubt EA is just going to put this content on a disk so I imagine it will be DLC codes on 360 and all on the Blu-Ray for PS3 so there's likely no hard drive space saving with this version, also no sharing the disk. This is what Capcom did with RE 5 Gold Edition and I think this will become the new standard for many companies, although 2K and Bethesda don't seem to mind having bonus content on a disk that rips to any 360 HDD.

So wait 2 months and save $5-$9, or buy now and pay a little more, but be able to play it now before all the games come out in the fall. Remember if this releases on Oct. 12, that's 1 week before Fallout New Vegas and 2 weeks before Fable 3. That's not even considering Reach/all the sports games coming out in Aug.-Oct.

Of course if there's another DLC pack released after Tuesday and before Oct. 12 or if Awakening is actually included in this Ultimate Edition, then the pendulum swings completely towards buying the Ultimate Edition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since Origins' price has nowhere to go but down, and the DLC isn't going anywhere, I think I'll wait and see what happens before biting. I can't get in on this deal for the CE anyways. It seems probable that, yeah, the DLC could be in code form if this is a real product. But at least its release would drive down the price of the regular version.

[quote name='Serpentor']Yep, the Ultimate Edition sounds cool, maybe it's like the Force Unleashed Seth Edition :) Steelbook and with all DLCs...[/QUOTE]

I'd be surprised if that was the case. I think best case scenario here is like RE5 Gold Edition... maybe a nice slipcover of something. Either way, it'll have the DLC, but it's a question of how much of the DLC.

Sadly, I'm enough of a whore that I'll buy it regardless.

I already have most the DLC anyway, so I really want this CE. Does any one have a extra one they want to trade or sell?

[quote name='js1']I already have most the DLC anyway, so I really want this CE. Does any one have a extra one they want to trade or sell?[/QUOTE]Why not just buy one from BB? They still have them in-stock

[quote name='Brother Daz']Why not just buy one from BB? They still have them in-stock[/QUOTE]

they don't have it for shipping anymore. Just in store. And he might not have a store near him that carries it.

[quote name='confoosious']they don't have it for shipping anymore. Just in store. And he might not have a store near him that carries it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! If someone could by chance pick me up one and quote me a price I would be grateful.

[quote name='Maltandbagels']Do you guys think there will be a GOTY edition coming? I dont mind waiting but it would be nice to know for sure.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop lists an Ultimate Edition coming out on Oct. 12, but no word on what's included. Probably won't find out for another month. I SERIOUSLY doubt it will have Awakening, but it will probably have all of the Origins DLC.

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']Got mine in today, flawless condition, no dents or anything[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, was it SteelBook or MetalPak?

[quote name='MSUHitman']Gamestop lists an Ultimate Edition coming out on Oct. 12, but no word on what's included. Probably won't find out for another month. I SERIOUSLY doubt it will have Awakening, but it will probably have all of the Origins DLC.[/QUOTE]

Why would it not have Awakening? I've been looking forward to the Ultimate/GOTY Edition because I really don't want to buy all that DLC.

@ MSU - Here's an old pic I have. Looks like a Metal Pak.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Why would it not have Awakening? I've been looking forward to the Ultimate/GOTY Edition because I really don't want to buy all that DLC.[/QUOTE]

I just don't think it would be financially sound for EA to have Awakening in the package as that's too much free value they would put into the rerelease in their eyes. I don't think EA has an aversion to not getting as much money as possible.

Plus if you take just the Origins DLC by itself, that's 1.5-3 GB of data, and Awakening is 2 GB by itself.

And sorry I was asking the person who just got it from BB.com today to see what they got. Only a limited number of people from the EA Store or Amazon who ordered in Dec. and not at launch got the SteelBook version so I wanted to know if these were left over MetalPaks or if it was a SteelBook.

I bought this like a week ago at the full 80. I'm assuming if I went to a BB store and showed the receipt I can get the difference credited? Mine is still sealed as I have been on vacation since I got the game.

[quote name='Ruahrc']I bought this like a week ago at the full 80. I'm assuming if I went to a BB store and showed the receipt I can get the difference credited? Mine is still sealed as I have been on vacation since I got the game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. They might even give you another 10% difference. Although I'm not sure if that's BB's policy or someone else's. Either way, you should be fine.

[quote name='MSUHitman']

And sorry I was asking the person who just got it from BB.com today to see what they got. Only a limited number of people from the EA Store or Amazon who ordered in Dec. and not at launch got the SteelBook version so I wanted to know if these were left over MetalPaks or if it was a SteelBook.[/QUOTE]

Hm... You're right. The first print is a steelbook. At least, the one I have sealed is.

I think Darkrider's pic shows a steelbook one and not the metalpak?

Mine's still sealed so I can't tell 100% but it looks as if mine's a metalpak, judging by the previous link to the forum post showing the differences between the two.

[quote name='confoosious']Awakening isn't a DLC. It's a standalone expansion.[/QUOTE]

Technically it is DLC also sold as a standalone disk at retail, just like the 2 major expansions for Oblivion were.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Technically it is DLC also sold as a standalone disk at retail, just like the 2 major expansions for Oblivion were.[/QUOTE]

But weren't those Oblivion expansions dependent upon having the original game? DAO: Awakening is playable as a standalone game, period, which to me makes it less likely to be included on any UberCompilation of DAO in the near future.

Just about everything under the sun is now available as DLC, so technically you could call Awakening simply DLC as well, but to me there's a big difference between minor DLC and major updates that also happen to be available via download. Awakening is the latter, and everything else you could find right now for DAO is the former.

I'm not asking you to agree with this POV, but I'm suggesting that even if you don't, many other people do. ;)

I will never have the opportunity to play Dragon Age, because the console versions are not as good as the PC version, and I am boycotting EA PC games because of DRM.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Technically it is DLC also sold as a standalone disk at retail, just like the 2 major expansions for Oblivion were.[/QUOTE]

Where can you download Awakening?

bread's done
Back