Dragon Age: Origins (Digi-Deluxe) $20, DA:O Awakening $20 (PC) (EA Store Summer Sale)

Hmmmm....Glad I didn't jump on GamersGate sale because it seems my patience has fortuned me.

In4 the bundle pack. Thanks OP!!

[quote name='gamer5389']Anyone know specifically how EA handles their digital download service for stuff like patches, mods, download limits, etc?[/QUOTE]Yeah, I'd like to know this as well before I press submit.

just got it for 20 off gamersgate yesterday...35 for both and awakening is great but theres plenty of content in the original to hold me off from needing the expansion

Cannot register retail Dragon Age Origins keys on Steam. Need to buy the Steam version.

Waiting for the Awakening expansion to go lower in price. Under 15 bucks and I'll buy it.

I bought DAO from the EA store close to launch. They don't auto-patch like Steam. It's basically like the retail copy except it doesn't have a disc-check. You can apply mods like normal. I believe you can re-download your purchases for a year. You can make a backup of your installer to get around this.

The first line in the thread title got my hopes up. I'm only really interested in the 360 version. Or at the very least something tangible.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Agh, I can't buy the expansion until I finish the game, but I like the price :\[/QUOTE]

I bought Awakening for $20 (360 disc) back during PAX East because EA had that $20 off code in their store even though I had DA in my backlog. If it's a good price and you're going to get it anyway, no reason to wait if you can afford it now.

Crazy deal by EA, guess they're trying to drum up interest with all of these sales for Dragon Age stuff across 360/PC [PS3 gets dumped on apparently :( ]

See EA, this is how you should build up interest, not package NBA Jam with NBA Elite when you would get many more sales for Jam selling it by itself.

[quote name='yarkitty123']The first line in the thread title got my hopes up. I'm only really interested in the 360 version. Or at the very least something tangible.[/QUOTE]
Sorry about that. I tried to make it clear that this was a PC-only deal, both with words and with an icon. If anyone can think of a way to make it clearer, then I will of course take the advice.

Damn Damn Damn.

I wish I had seen this thread before I bought with GamersGate.

I registered my GG key through EA D'loader and am downloading DA:O CE via said program.... if I buy another copy of DA:O CE through EA's store, how would that work?

(I figure if I'm gonna spend 23 bucks on Awakenings, I might as well front another 10 bucks for a backup copy of DA:O CE.)

[quote name='mokmoof']Sorry about that. I tried to make it clear that this was a PC-only deal, both with words and with an icon. If anyone can think of a way to make it clearer, then I will of course take the advice.[/QUOTE]

It says "Deluxe" in parenthesis. It was misleading in the sense that I just assumed it could have been the "collector's edition" for 360/PS3.

Also, once you click on the thread and see your link, it just says "Dragon Age: Origins" sans parenthesis. Also misleading.

[quote name='yarkitty123']It says "Deluxe" in parenthesis. It was misleading in the sense that I just assumed it could have been the "collector's edition" for 360/PS3.

Also, once you click on the thread and see your link, it just says "Dragon Age: Origins" sans parenthesis. Also misleading.[/QUOTE]
Both things changed. In my defense, however, the graphic does say "PC Digital Only" pretty prominently.

Hmm, does anyone know about the DRM they include in this? As far as I know, the retail version had Securom but it only performed a disc check. Obviously that wouldn't be the case for the digital version, so I'm wondering if they ramped up the level of DRM for it.

Well I looked into what DRM this version has, and it looks like you have to have the EA Download Manager installed and running in order to play any games you download from EA's store. Like Steam, except not good.

Unless there's some way to bypass the EADM, I'm going to have to pass on this deal.

[quote name='choral_music']Damn Damn Damn.

I wish I had seen this thread before I bought with GamersGate.

I registered my GG key through EA D'loader and am downloading DA:O CE via said program.... if I buy another copy of DA:O CE through EA's store, how would that work?

(I figure if I'm gonna spend 23 bucks on Awakenings, I might as well front another 10 bucks for a backup copy of DA:O CE.)[/QUOTE]

I am not sure why. I think gamersgate is a better service than anything EA puts out at the moment.

[quote name='Nesrie']I am not sure why. I think gamersgate is a better service than anything EA puts out at the moment.[/QUOTE]Do you mind elaborating? (Not that I disagree with you - I'm curious as to why.)

[quote name='Viper45']Well I looked into what DRM this version has, and it looks like you have to have the EA Download Manager installed and running in order to play any games you download from EA's store. Like Steam, except not good.

Unless there's some way to bypass the EADM, I'm going to have to pass on this deal.[/QUOTE]

This is false. You do NOT need EADM running while playing the game. You only need it to download the game initially. When you install the game, you will be required to activate it online. You can even uninstall EADM after you have finished downloading the installer (just backup the installer before you do).

[quote name='Marker']This is false. You do NOT need EADM running while playing the game. You only need it to download the game initially. When you install the game, you will be required to activate it online. You can even uninstall EADM after you have finished downloading the installer (just backup the installer before you do).[/QUOTE]

Are you 100% sure? I'm just going by their official EADM FAQ, where it says:
Can I Uninstall the EA Download Manager after I Complete my Download?

No. By installing the EA Download Manager, you are verifying that you are the licensed user of your purchased game.

Their instructions for uninstalling the EADM also warn that you won't be able to play your games without it. I've seen people reporting with other games that the game won't launch if you aren't logged into the EADM, but I couldn't find anything specifically for Dragon Age: Origins.

If you're 100% sure about this then I'm going to have to reconsider this deal.

[quote name='choral_music']Do you mind elaborating? (Not that I disagree with you - I'm curious as to why.)[/QUOTE]

Well there is the EADM, that piece of software is a PIA. Then there is the limited reinstall issue with EA. I believe they cap it right, somewhere around 2 years. I mean you used to have to pay for the privelege of being able to download it again with a fee that auto attached to every purpose. Then it was 2 years tops, was still last I checked. I just have no confidence in the system.

Gamersgate allows you to install as many times as you want (probably officially if they see odd behavior they'll stop it). They also keep their FAQs handy so you can look this information up easily. EA self-help section is a mess. It's just a cleaner system with less bs to jump through to play your legal games

Both systems require online connections to install the games, but really Gog. is the only one i know who doesn't at this point. Impulse and others don't require online to play them though (unless 3rd party is involved).

I forgot to ad at some point EA's "gem" of a downloader, early on, was not working with Win 7 at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Nesrie']I am not sure why. I think gamersgate is a better service than anything EA puts out at the moment.[/QUOTE]

I am with you-would much rather buy from gamersgate, but they put every other DA SKU on sale except awakenings, which I want, but can't buy from Steam because they retardedly require you to have both versions on steam to play! So frustrating, especially as I really don't trust EA's downloader or their activiation limits!

[quote name='Rincewind']I am with you-would much rather buy from gamersgate, but they put every other DA SKU on sale except awakenings, which I want, but can't buy from Steam because they retardedly require you to have both versions on steam to play! So frustrating, especially as I really don't trust EA's downloader or their activiation limits![/QUOTE]

Yeah as much as I like Steam's sale, this once you go Steam you can't go back thing they have going makes me rather unhappy too. I am pretty sure, not 100%, that Impulse and Gamersgate install games where they are "supposed" to be installed so you can mix them. I say pretty sure because I haven't done it, but I do see where they are installed on my PC... nothing out of place like Steam does.

[quote name='Nesrie']Well there is the EADM, that piece of software is a PIA. Then there is the limited reinstall issue with EA. I believe they cap it right, somewhere around 2 years. I mean you used to have to pay for the privelege of being able to download it again with a fee that auto attached to every purpose. Then it was 2 years tops, was still last I checked. I just have no confidence in the system.

Gamersgate allows you to install as many times as you want (probably officially if they see odd behavior they'll stop it). They also keep their FAQs handy so you can look this information up easily. EA self-help section is a mess. It's just a cleaner system with less bs to jump through to play your legal games

Both systems require online connections to install the games, but really Gog. is the only one i know who doesn't at this point. Impulse and others don't require online to play them though (unless 3rd party is involved).

I forgot to ad at some point EA's "gem" of a downloader, early on, was not working with Win 7 at all.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. So, did I shoot myself in the foot by inputting the key in EADM and downloading it there, or would I have to register it anyway?

I don't know about DA:O on the EA downloader, but ME2 works fine without EA's program running to play it. I had to activate it initially, but beyond that, I don't have to have the program running to play the game.

[quote name='choral_music']Thanks for the info. So, did I shoot myself in the foot by inputting the key in EADM and downloading it there, or would I have to register it anyway?[/QUOTE]

They could have fixed a number of things now. This was a little bit ago, like around the holidays that i dismissed EA's online store. I mean I went on today to find out if they changed anything, and i find basic information on their website is still difficult to find. I had to use search in google to even find out that yes, apparently the newer version of EADM is finally compatible with 7 64bit (in january it was not). Not sure when that changed exactly.

Now look at Gamergates, Steam and Impulse, info on redownloading, install requirements, customers service address... all up front and easy to find.

God, first the Mass Effects and now DA:O sales on EA Store. Where's the steam love! I prefer to exclusively stick to steam for my digital downloads. Hopefully there'll be a steam sale on these again sometime soon...

having a rule and not enforcing it is not the same as not having the rule at all.
Pay attention to post #14

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/745108-ea-download-manager-how-back-up-2.html

This was a bit ago, but still it bothers me they removed this limit we all knew about but didn't really say anything about doing it. I am sure it is okay for the most part. I stand by what i said before though, between EA and Gamersgate, I think gamersgate is the better choice.

Great prices for solid games though!

[quote name='Lord_Zath']Anyone know how long this sale's for? Couldn't find any dates on the site...[/QUOTE]

It's through Aug. 8 according to the Dragon Age Facebook page.

Has anyone actually got this to work? I tried 2 different cards and neither went through...funky.

Thanks for posting OP!

[quote name='Viper45']Are you 100% sure? I'm just going by their official EADM FAQ, where it says:

Their instructions for uninstalling the EADM also warn that you won't be able to play your games without it. I've seen people reporting with other games that the game won't launch if you aren't logged into the EADM, but I couldn't find anything specifically for Dragon Age: Origins.

If you're 100% sure about this then I'm going to have to reconsider this deal.[/QUOTE]

I purchased the game and downloaded it via EADM w/ my work computer. I then transferred the installer to my flash drive and installed it on my home computer w/o installing EADM. Worked just fine. Finished the game twice w/o ever having to install EADM.

[quote name='Marker']I purchased the game and downloaded it via EADM w/ my work computer. I then transferred the installer to my flash drive and installed it on my home computer w/o installing EADM. Worked just fine. Finished the game twice w/o ever having to install EADM.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I actually decided to take a chance on it last night after you posted. I did the same -- downloaded the game through EADM, copied the installer, uninstalled EADM, then installed the game. Worked like a charm!

bread's done
Back