Dragon Age: Origins - Gen. Discussion & Info

Not to dig up a topic that I think has been discussed previously, though what's the order of the DLC playthroughs? I'm coming up to the endgame and wanted to know what order to do the DLC games in.

[quote name='shrike4242']Not to dig up a topic that I think has been discussed previously, though what's the order of the DLC playthroughs? I'm coming up to the endgame and wanted to know what order to do the DLC games in.[/QUOTE]
After the main game head into Awakenings and from there go into Golems of Amgarrak, and then Witch Hunt. You can do Leliana's DLC at any time since it's a prologue and you can do Darkspawn Chronicles whenever because it's just a What If? mode.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']After the main game head into Awakenings and from there go into Golems of Amgarrak, and then Witch Hunt. You can do Leliana's DLC at any time since it's a prologue and you can do Darkspawn Chronicles whenever because it's just a What If? mode.[/QUOTE]Thanks for clearing that up.

[quote name='shrike4242']Thanks for clearing that up.[/QUOTE]
No problem! Also, if you're romancing Morrigan then make sure to keep the ring she gave you before you start Witch Hunt! I accidently ditched it for some higher leveled jewelry in Awakenings and totally regretted missing out on some dialogue about it.

FYI the download of Awakening is $15 this week on the Marketplace. I'm going to trade my disk in at Gamestop and get $10 for it w/60% bump for buying a $.99 360 game. Then I'll buy a points code.

figure this is the best place to ask this.... I own the original regular copy of Dragon Age Origins. I bought a used copy of Dragon Age Ultimate Edition, with the intention of selling it off after installing the dlcs. I installed the dlc, and can't get it to work, not even with the first Ultimate Edition disc, it says "contacting EA severs... cant contact EA" and then just stays on the opening screen with no way to get past it. I've been trying different things for the past few days and am starting to think I should just try to sell it all off and take the hit/loss on it since I can't figure it out. any advice?

edit: nevermind, it says "the EA servers are no longer available" and then sticks on the title screen with no options to click, if I wait 5 or so minutes the "new game, load game, downloadable content, etc" all pop up to hit A on. and it says all downloadable content is downloaded.

so I guess my only question now is why this won't work with the standard vanilla DA: O copy? did they make it so you can only run the dlc thru the ultimate edition disc?

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead... I am now finally jumping right into DA:O(purchased new the month it came out for $40 from amazon). Anyway, I have seen the DLC on sale many times and now that I have finally started playing it, I think I am finally in the market. Looking for some answers on the best way to do that. I know there is an Ultimate Edition. Not sure if I get that if my current save will work with that edition, or if the UE just comes with DLC codes, or if the DLC is downloaded from the 2nd disc(like Borderlands).

Thanks in advance - I appreciate it.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']figure this is the best place to ask this.... I own the original regular copy of Dragon Age Origins. I bought a used copy of Dragon Age Ultimate Edition, with the intention of selling it off after installing the dlcs. I installed the dlc, and can't get it to work, not even with the first Ultimate Edition disc, it says "contacting EA severs... cant contact EA" and then just stays on the opening screen with no way to get past it. I've been trying different things for the past few days and am starting to think I should just try to sell it all off and take the hit/loss on it since I can't figure it out. any advice?

edit: nevermind, it says "the EA servers are no longer available" and then sticks on the title screen with no options to click, if I wait 5 or so minutes the "new game, load game, downloadable content, etc" all pop up to hit A on. and it says all downloadable content is downloaded.

so I guess my only question now is why this won't work with the standard vanilla DA: O copy? did they make it so you can only run the dlc thru the ultimate edition disc?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the Ult edition DLC works with the normal edition disc. I own the normal edition, and I bought a pre-owned copy of the Ult edition from Gamestop, installed it to my X360, and then returned it for a full refund (yeah I know, kinda shady, but then again, it's Gamestop), and I can play if perfectly fine with my normal edition disc.

I'm playing the game on a PC but there's no thread in the PC subforum, so I'll talk about this glorious fucking game here. I bought the Ultimate Edition for $7 on Amazon (it also came with DA2 which I heard sucks), and there is just so much content.

Unfortunately, and this might please you guys who played it on console, it took me an hour to get the goddamn DLC to work. It turned out I had two problems. The DAUpdater Service wasn't starting correctly. I had to manually install a damn Windows service through the command line prompt and even then it was tricky because of the way Windows handles administrator privileges. After 15 minutes I realized I had to run the command prompt "as Administrator" for the service to install. Christ.

So then I had trouble logging into EA's servers. I already had an Origin account but I could not log in on Bioware's web site because I had weird characters in my password (you know, to make it strong). Once I made a more simple password it worked. The same thing happens with fucking Windows Live games.

But man, once I got it working, what an experience. It really brings me back to what I loved about Knights of the Old Republic and older RPGs. While I tend to quick save a lot when fighting, I just take whatever consequences happen story wise. Some bitch in my party already hates me but screw her. I'm the hero damn it. We're going to help every asshole in the fantasy world whether you like it or not.

what a great game. I bought the collectors edition a few years ago, and installed the DLC off a gamestop used copy that I returned. Very very fun game, hoping that #2 is fun as well.

good god this game just goes on forever... I think I messed something up, is it still possible to shag Leliana if you haven't done her personal quest after the landsmeet has started?

[quote name='nasum']good god this game just goes on forever... I think I messed something up, is it still possible to shag Leliana if you haven't done her personal quest after the landsmeet has started?[/QUOTE]
IIRC (and it's been a little while :) ), there's no time limit for it, but there is a glitch where her personal quest will only trigger when her favoritism is a little bit below 100%, like between 80 and 95% or something. So it's possible that you got her favoritism up too high without triggering it, and you need to bump it back down a little bit.

[quote name='nasum']good god this game just goes on forever... I think I messed something up, is it still possible to shag Leliana if you haven't done her personal quest after the landsmeet has started?[/QUOTE]
I... think you can, yeah.

Leliana's a little buggy, anyway. I think if you get her approval too high, a certain dialogue option disappears, and you need to lower it again in order to get it back.

Just... don't finish the landsmeet until you've made sure. And if you've already finished the landsmeet, don't go back to Redcliffe.

EDIT: Dammit, Ryuu.

I just went back to an earlier save and did it then went back to the later on in the game. Somehow I doubt having shagged would alter the endgame if she's at 100% fawning over me.

Finally beat the damn thing too.
I opted to have Loghain and Morrigan shag, werewolves & mages were around 16 members, redcliffe and dwarves (Harrowmont) at 50 each, got the defender since I barely used them other than the initial stairs of Fort Drakon or whatever, had my human mage, Leliana, Loghain and Wynne in the party with Ogheren as the gate captain.
I've read that as a human female you can romance Alistair and then become quuen with him as king. I'd like to try that, but there's just no way I can go another 60 hours on this thing. Maybe I'll just go back to a spot where I can romance Alistair, do the 3-way at the pearl and then get the queen ending too.
For some odd reason I was really surprised that Zeveran double-double crossed.

Booted up Darkspawn Chronicles and damn are the nerd points in that annoying as hell... It's taken me almost 3 hours to get through what equates to less than half an hour of actual game time since I'm babysitting all my thralls to get their approval all the way up. Then I hit a bug so I have to go back to a previous save from about an hour or so earlier.

I did manage to grab DA2 from Gamefly for $13. I've heard that it's much shorter and more arcadey than whatever mix of button mashing and strategy you want to call DA:O.

That does look pretty sweet. I hope we see more of Cassandra in Dragon Age III.

ETA: Preorder price for the Blu-Ray on Amazon is only $16.99, not bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the Monster Reborn being played here, but a question.

If you install the DLC from UE and play with a vanilla disc, will that work? More curious about the PS3 version as I have access to a copy of that and the PS3 copy of Origins is $5 at GS for PUR members through the 28th. Thanks in advance.

With all things Mass Effect moving on, the latest comic series in full swing and the World of Thedas book just released, I decided to jump back into a replay of DA:O.

Man, time hasn't been kind to DA's visuals, that's for sure. But I'll be damned if this game isn't fun to play. I'm just putzing with some of the origins I didn't play the first time around.

By the way, that World of Thedas book......wow. It's a frikkin tome of crazy deep information. I got the biowarestore exclusive edition w/ the signed litho and it's an amazing piece. The quality is through the roof. Even at $80, I recommend it if you are a collector.

bread's done
Back