Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - For Liquid Metal we would Slime!

[quote name='Backlash']I assume it will get better. I notice it always says something about how it's "alchemy week" at the store, so I'm hoping once that "week" is over the items won't be so ingredient-centric.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind ingredients, but I'm only getting the same level of stuff which is found everywhere, which is annoying. If they were giving me harder to come by ingredients, or even ones a level or two up which take some time to make (like Lucida Shards) I would be fine with it. A store full of Brighten Rocks and Royal Soils is annoying though.

I'm sure the bulk of it is that the DQVC is run by the same RNG that runs everything else which gives me 1 rare drop in 25 treasure maps, and a 50% success rate with Zing.

I keep gettin not so good drops, though I did get a Dragonsbane, may make a dragonsbane to help take out Baramos with Dragon Slash.

My DQVC gives ok stuff since I use a lot of alchemy stuff.
Can't wait till friday and maybe give some better stuff like Orb or stones.

[quote name='adriley313']
My DQVC gives ok stuff since I use a lot of alchemy stuff.
Can't wait till friday and maybe give some better stuff like Orb or stones.[/QUOTE]

I'd be shocked if the Orbs ever showed up in the DQVC, I could be wrong, but I think the only place they drop is from Legacy Bosses.. Has anyone seen different?

[quote name='bvharris']I'd be shocked if the Orbs ever showed up in the DQVC, I could be wrong, but I think the only place they drop is from Legacy Bosses.. Has anyone seen different?[/QUOTE]
My husband, the one who has 400 hours on his clock in the Japanese version, got an orb from the Japanese store.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']My husband, the one who has 400 hours on his clock in the Japanese version, got an orb from the Japanese store.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the sliver of hope. :D

Do you remember how much that set him back?

Switching to lv up my shield skill for my Minstrel and then maybe the others.
Beat one Troll for the Sage quest and damn he has a lot of HP.

[quote name='2DMention']Got to the last boss, and got whipped because my priest ran out of MP.

My guys are: Paladin 39, Martial artist 42, Priest 40, Armamentalist 39

I was lucky enough to get ZIng to work the first time like 5X in a row.
Any tips? Are my levels high enough?[/QUOTE]

I have never been as ticked off in my life at a video game's final boss. That character just nails me with critical hits like they're going out of style. I've heard rumors that he has a "regular" attack, but I think I've seen three of them in four attempts at beating him. Everything else is mass damage, worse mass damage, sleep, paralysis or crits non-stop. Dude has killed my main character three freaking times in a row with crits within the first 10 turns.

My gang is at level 44, 44, 44, and 43. Minstrel, Warrior, Thief, and Mage. All either equipped with healing (Miracle Sword x2 + Boss Shield) or can cast it themselves coupled with loads of item healing and status ailment fixes.

Frustrated doesn't even begin to describe it and "cheap" isn't a strong enough word...

[quote name='SteelSD']
Frustrated doesn't even begin to describe it and "cheap" isn't a strong enough word...[/QUOTE]

Just keep plugging away. I found him frustrating and cheap too, and it took me about 4 tries but eventually you'll figure out the right strategy.

I spent the evening grinding Murdaw, got him up to Level 16 now, just waiting for him to drop the next map. It was sort of annoying to find that the gear he dropped was less powerful than Baramos, who was the boss before him. Oh well, still can add it to the collection. Once he learned Disruptive Wave he basically turned into the video game boss version of an internet troll, casting Disruptive Wave and Kasap on me every turn (and never actually attacking) and making me re-cast all my buffs. He's also got an annoying dazzling spell. Made me finally slog through finishing off the Level 40 Priest quest to get the anti-status spell, which is great. Overall he's not that tough though, I find his attack patterns much more predictable than Baramos. Definitely ready for the next boss though.

does anybody know what map they're giving away at gamestop this week?
i have deathtamoor from comic con, and i think someone said zoma was the best buy one.

I just beat
King Godwyn
with a team of 25 ARM/23 PLD/31 PST/24 RNG. Obviously I switched classes a lot... but yeah.

And people are saying they can't beat the last boss and they're level 40?! Uh oh. Guess it's time to hit those grottos.

The two maps I have with MKS and LMS have these really buff monsters with them too. The LMS had a Drakonium Slime next to him. I hit him with 50 Psyche Multithrust and did 0 damage. He has 400 HP. And dang, the MKS hits for like, 130? This is tough.

The only crit skill I have is Thunder Thrust. I'm working on Axe with my Ranger...

[quote name='kainzero']

The two maps I have with MKS and LMS have these really buff monsters with them too. The LMS had a Drakonium Slime next to him. I hit him with 50 Psyche Multithrust and did 0 damage. He has 400 HP. And dang, the MKS hits for like, 130? This is tough.

The only crit skill I have is Thunder Thrust. I'm working on Axe with my Ranger...[/QUOTE]

That's why I left most of my grotto grinding for the post game, by the time you're at higher levels the companion monsters on those floors are no big deal at all.

The only grotto map I have is the one given away by the guy at the steps to that stone dungeon. When I beat the boss of that one do they drop another grotto map?

Or am I forced to try to find someone in tag mode?

I haven't even done any of the grottos.

If I was smart and took some magic waters/ sage elixir I might've beat him. I don't ever remember moving any items around character's inventory, I put everything in the bag. I don't think I've used a single item in this game other than the wands that work as spells. LoL

Anybody going to the Simons mall tag event?

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/event.php?eid=100800343312280

[quote name='2DMention']The only grotto map I have is the one given away by the guy at the steps to that stone dungeon. When I beat the boss of that one do they drop another grotto map?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, every regular grotto boss drops a new map.

And I hadn't heard about that Simon Malls event, but there doesn't look to be one any closer to DC than Richmond, bummer.

[quote name='kainzero']I just beat
King Godwyn
with a team of 25 ARM/23 PLD/31 PST/24 RNG. Obviously I switched classes a lot... but yeah.

And people are saying they can't beat the last boss and they're level 40?! Uh oh. Guess it's time to hit those grottos.
[/QUOTE]
I needed a level 38 Priest with Multiheal to get through that part of the game, so you may or may not be okay heading into the finale.

[quote name='2DMention']
Anybody going to the Simons mall tag event?

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/event.php?eid=100800343312280[/QUOTE]
:/ Summit Mall is in Akron, not Cleveland. Bah. 0-for-4, thanks Nintendo!

How does tag mode work exactly?

Does it give each person a random map, or do you have to have one up when you go into the mode?

Wouldn't you just get maps you can unlock in the game anyway?

[quote name='botticus']I needed a level 38 Priest with Multiheal to get through that part of the game, so you may or may not be okay heading into the finale.[/QUOTE]
you needed multiheal for that dungeon? really?

i even thought the boss was pretty easy. he only attacked me for like 30-40 damage, and if i used my tanking skills right and defended properly he wouldn't do that much damage to me with the orb skill.

[quote name='2DMention']How does tag mode work exactly?

Does it give each person a random map, or do you have to have one up when you go into the mode?

Wouldn't you just get maps you can unlock in the game anyway?[/QUOTE]
When you tag 30 guests you unlock some stuff.

When you start tagging, you can choose to bring a map you completed, so everyone who tags you can download that map. It also has your name on it too.

In Japan, a guy named Masayuki was the first one to find a map that had a floor populated by MKS. He tagged his friends, and his friends tagged his friends, etc... and all their copies of the map, it'll say "Discovered by Masayuki." =)

Does anybody use insulate now that they've gimped it by making it an individual spell rather than working on the whole group in one cast?

What happens if you haven't completed any grottos and you go into tag mode? The other people don't get anything from you?

I have a question for the group. I started my game with this party

Hero
Martial Artist
Thief
Mage

I leveled up swords to 88 with my hero to get gigaslash, but I'm wondering if I should change his class now or not. Also my biggest question is what to do with my Mage. He has some skill points invested in his specialty skill, but I've been toying with other classes and now have almost 100 skill points to spend. I just can't decide where to use them and I think the only class I don't have is sage.

Do I use skill points in another class and come back to mage? Do I abandon mage and go with another class?

At some point I'd say you're going to want someone who can do some more substantial healing/buffing. Especially in the endgame once the difficulty ramps up some.

[quote name='bvharris']At some point I'd say you're going to want someone who can do some more substantial healing/buffing. Especially in the endgame once the difficulty ramps up some.[/QUOTE]

So Mage > Sage then?

Where do I get the Sage quest? I thought I saw somewhere it was at
Gittingham Palace
but looking at the map I have no idea how to get there, it doesn't look accessible by boat.

[quote name='2DMention']Does anybody use insulate now that they've gimped it by making it an individual spell rather than working on the whole group in one cast?[/QUOTE]

There's actually a group version of it when you get higher level. I don't remember which vocation gets it specifically, but I remember having it for a short period.

Well no, since the Sage has healing and attack spells, it's definitely the best magic users. Gittingham Palace is not accessible by boat, it's one of the last dungeons in the game, so you'll need to advance in the story.

I'm not a huge fan of using magic attacks in this game. Is that a bad thing? I primarily use Magic for healing. (Which is weird, because it's what I'm doing in Dragon Age as well.)

I've grinded quite a bit for money; my levels are 17/15/15/15 after sometime in Coffinwell. Aside from the Minstrel, I've got a Priest, Thief, and Martial Artist.

- Minstrel has some sword, but I started focusing on his class skill after 22 points or so.
- The Priest has some wand, and if Caduceus is what I think it is, I think I'm going as far as that (free healing?).
- The Thief is focusing on her class skill
- My Martial Artist has some in Fans (for the +10 bonus) and is going for the class skill.

I'm not going to run into trouble, am I? It doesn't seem like I would, but I was just wondering. I'm not that far in, but I'm already starting to wonder what I want their classes at the end game to be. Are Rangers good? It sounds like I might take the Priest through Mage and through Sage (grinding!) for at least some offense when not healing. I'd like to throw a spear user in there, because I like spears, but I'm not sure who.

Ah well. I guess I've got the rest of the game to decide. :p

[quote name='ForeStorm']I'm not a huge fan of using magic attacks in this game. Is that a bad thing? I primarily use Magic for healing. (Which is weird, because it's what I'm doing in Dragon Age as well.)
[/QUOTE]

No, it's not weird, I almost never use magic attacks either, in almost any RPG. Just kind of a weird idiosyncrasy of mine. I do of course us them if it's the best option available, but if I can avoid them I do, not sure why.

[quote name='ForeStorm'] It sounds like I might take the Priest through Mage and through Sage (grinding!) for at least some offense when not healing. [/QUOTE]

I can't answer all your questions (most don't really have answers, except that you will be fine, and just switch your class as you see fit - you can always switch back without losing anything). However, remember that spells don't carry over between vocations, so it's not like you can learn all the healing spells with your priest and then become a mage to learn some offensive magic and then switch back and have both. Only abilities and traits carry over.

[quote name='bvharris']Well no, since the Sage has healing and attack spells, it's definitely the best magic users. Gittingham Palace is not accessible by boat, it's one of the last dungeons in the game, so you'll need to advance in the story.[/QUOTE]

Oops, when I wrote that I meant Mage --> Sage as in, turn my mage into a sage, not the equation Mage is greater than Sage.

[quote name='ForeStorm']I'm not a huge fan of using magic attacks in this game. Is that a bad thing? I primarily use Magic for healing. (Which is weird, because it's what I'm doing in Dragon Age as well.)

I've grinded quite a bit for money; my levels are 17/15/15/15 after sometime in Coffinwell. Aside from the Minstrel, I've got a Priest, Thief, and Martial Artist.

- Minstrel has some sword, but I started focusing on his class skill after 22 points or so.
- The Priest has some wand, and if Caduceus is what I think it is, I think I'm going as far as that (free healing?).
- The Thief is focusing on her class skill
- My Martial Artist has some in Fans (for the +10 bonus) and is going for the class skill.

I'm not going to run into trouble, am I? It doesn't seem like I would, but I was just wondering. I'm not that far in, but I'm already starting to wonder what I want their classes at the end game to be. Are Rangers good? It sounds like I might take the Priest through Mage and through Sage (grinding!) for at least some offense when not healing. I'd like to throw a spear user in there, because I like spears, but I'm not sure who.

Ah well. I guess I've got the rest of the game to decide. :p[/QUOTE]
Magic is pretty decent if you give your Mage wand skill, they can clean out groups of enemies real fast. I didn't, so my Mage would burn a lot of MP before the boss. In the meantime I gave Priest Wand skill, and with Caduceus she hardly drops below 30 MP of her max.

Don't worry too much about classes right now. When you get the ability to class change and rack up the skill points then you can worry. Most of my characters are level 18-ish in every class with a couple of classes being 25+.

I love Magic with my mage which is gonna become a sage that I just unlocked.
I love magic in RPG as thats my main go to class. I love Boom as it hits all enemies no matter the group for 100 damage. She's maxed on Wands. I'm gonna switch to Sage and then level up her shield. Oomph is also awesome for boosting my Martial Artist whose Attack is over 300 and when I face bosses to boost my Minstrel's Gigaslash which is murder.

I wish I lived closer to other people with this game to Tag or get some maps. My local GS wouldn't even have the map. Will be nice when this damn alchemy week is over. Every item I have like 20 of already. I must say Im addicted to getting Nectar so I can make bunches of Life Bracers when trainer low level guys.

Still loving this game.

And it's another event I miss out on. Someone needs to send around their DS and allow people to tag. ;)

I highly doubt that would work out too well.

Nice, one event I'm going to have to drive an hour or two for but the others will be easy.

Hey, anyone know what the limit is for the number of items your bag can hold?

I'm gonna try and hit every event I can for this game.

I'll be at the Mall of America on the 7th at best buy (I didn't even know MoA had a best buy - that tells you how long it's been since I've been there.)

Finally managed to play the grottos. Are the levels of the grottos matched to your characters levels? As in, if you're level 40, should you be shooting for playing lvl 40 grottos? It seems like those bosses in there are way beyond the levels of the grotto. (IE. one of the bosses the slime knight guy at a level 7 grotto, spams Kaboom and you need multiheal to beat him)

Are you kidding me? No Best Buy event near Charlotte? BULLSHIT!

I guess I could go to the one at Concord Mills :S

Talk about good fortune, the legacy boss I'm currently on (Dhoulmagus) has his level in the exact same spot as my highest level grotto. Makes alternating between them a breeze.

Edit: Anyone considering wasting both a Silver Orb and an Orichalcum on making a Sage's Stone, consider this your warning: Don't. As in every previous DQ, it's once again an incredibly disappointing item. Even in the hands of a capable Magical Mending user it only heals about a third of what Multiheal does. The only real practical applications are giving it to a Mage or a Paladin to serve as a backup healer, but it's not strong enough to really allow you to forgo a Priest/Sage against endgame Legacy bosses IMO. Granted I had a surplus of Silver Orbs and Mini Medals to spend on an Orichalcum, so it's not a huge loss that I took the leap, but I'd definitely advise against it if you can't spare the materials.

Last edited by a moderator:
A line from the late game that I don't understand:
"I suppose that's how come he can have fought..."
. Engrish?

[quote name='kainzero']you needed multiheal for that dungeon? really?

i even thought the boss was pretty easy. he only attacked me for like 30-40 damage, and if i used my tanking skills right and defended properly he wouldn't do that much damage to me with the orb skill.
[/QUOTE]
The last boss there wasn't a big deal, but
Purrvis
was critting me like crazy. Might have just been bad luck, but I was only a level or two away at the time so it only took a few minutes around that healing spot to get there.

Finally unlocked Luminary last night. It seemed to take forever for me to get a grotto with a Maoi Minstrel in it, was very excited when I saw that big flamboyant head pop up.

I'm assuming there's not going to be a DQVC update again today, so I'm not going to bother with the schlep. If anyone does get an update, let me know.

I'm addicted to grottos. I'm assuming when you beat the first map given to you, the other grottos you get are random?

I'll probably be playing this game for 30+ hours after I beat it.

[quote name='2DMention']I'm addicted to grottos. I'm assuming when you beat the first map given to you, the other grottos you get are random?

I'll probably be playing this game for 30+ hours after I beat it.[/QUOTE]

Not entirely random, there is a formula. I found this very helpful:

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/drag...c_id=m-1-55674123&pid=937281&tag=topics;title

I think you might be selling yourself short with 30+ hours in the postgame, I'm way past that mark and not even thinking about slowing down. I'm about to pass 100 hours total, well more than half of that in the post-game. I really think it just keeps on getting better the deeper you go into it, and we have so many quests still to look forward to.

[quote name='bvharris']Not entirely random, there is a formula. I found this very helpful:

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/dragonquestix/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-55674123&pid=937281&tag=topics%3Btitle

I think you might be selling yourself short with 30+ hours in the postgame, I'm way past that mark and not even thinking about slowing down. I'm about to pass 100 hours total, well more than half of that in the post-game. I really think it just keeps on getting better the deeper you go into it, and we have so many quests still to look forward to.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. It might as well be random.

Is there any incentive to replay non-legacy boss grottos? Better drops, more treasures? And does every grotto have at least 1 blue Treasure chest?

Is the post game mostly grottos?

How do the legacy boss grottos work? Can you only unlock those in the post game? Do they always drop a new legacy boss map? Can you share them through tagging?

*Goes back to his grassy knoll grotto

[quote name='62t']If I cant make it to GS is there anyway for me to get the map?[/QUOTE]

Too far away, or are you too busy and important to make it?

There's the Simon mall one and the Best Buy event too.

[quote name='2DMention']Too far away, or are you too busy and important to make it?

There's the Simon mall one and the Best Buy event too.[/QUOTE]

I am booked that day. Doesnt help it has such a limited time frame. I think the maps for each event are different, which means I cant get the simon mall one

bread's done
Back