Dreamcast games that have aged well?

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Please explain this! I want my dreamcast to look less blurry on my HDTV![/QUOTE]
Sega made the Dreamcast compatible with VGA monitors with a cable. The first party cable is rare and expensive but the 3rd party ones work just as well. It connects directly into the Dreamcast's video port and either accepts a standard VGA cable or has one built in.

It outputs at 640x480 so your TV will have to scale it up to fill the screen. Usually the sound comes out of a headphone jack.

Some games don't support it, like Bangai-O, Last Blade 2, and KoF 99. Sometimes you can force it but not with those.

This is how I played my Dreamcast back in the day and its really the best way to do it. Soul Calibur turned some heads in 1999/2000 on a big 22" monitor.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Hmm, time for research in old Gamefan magazines. I remember getting excited over the game's censored swastikas for some reason.

Man, I just popped in Zombie Revenge (which seemed innovative at the time) but now I'm thinking, "Did I buy this solely for the bust-size of Aya Brea's clone?" Or maybe it had to do with the manly narration when one picked up ROCK DRILL.

Your name is Stick Breitling, and your mission is stop ZED (You're all fools!).[/QUOTE]

Zombie Revenge was one of the few beat em ups on the system. We looked past the terrible controls because there was nothing else like it on DC and the rest of the game was great (at the time - I don't know how it would be today, I haven't played it in years.)

[quote name='2DMention']Zombie Revenge was one of the few beat em ups on the system. We looked past the terrible controls because there was nothing else like it on DC and the rest of the game was great (at the time - I don't know how it would be today, I haven't played it in years.)[/QUOTE]

I loved zombie revenge! I'm a big beat em up and zombie fan, so it was right up my alley. It did have some rough controls, and it got really hard. I don't think I ever beat it. Iknow there was a code for unlimited lives, but I think you had to do VMU minigames to do it.

[quote name='Rooster752']I loved zombie revenge! I'm a big beat em up and zombie fan, so it was right up my alley. It did have some rough controls, and it got really hard. I don't think I ever beat it. Iknow there was a code for unlimited lives, but I think you had to do VMU minigames to do it.[/QUOTE]

I remember there was a mode on there for supercharging your guns that was a lot easier than the normal or high-powered melee mode. You might want to try that with the spread on the machine gun against groups of enemies.

In San Fransisco Rush 2049 I had a ton of fun doing "Stunt Mode" with 4-player split screen. In fact I barely touched the main racing part of the game. But of course now you can get the game really cheap on Midway Arcade Treasures 3.

[quote name='dafoomie']While I'm still familiar with most of the great games that came out, some of them haven't done too well over the years.
[/QUOTE]

They're still the same, I can't think of a single DC game I enjoyed back in the day that I still don't enjoy booting up now. A lot of DC games are meant for quick blasts of great play, don't expect to spend hours at a time on most of them. I think that is the biggest difference when shifting from our mindset now to games from 'back then'.

Toy Commander! That game is as fun as all get out in 4-player split screen! and that's not nostalgia talking either. It's great, even today.

[quote name='Yanksfan']They're still the same, I can't think of a single DC game I enjoyed back in the day that I still don't enjoy booting up now. A lot of DC games are meant for quick blasts of great play, don't expect to spend hours at a time on most of them. I think that is the biggest difference when shifting from our mindset now to games from 'back then'.[/QUOTE]
The controller just kills me. I remember trying to play Outtrigger back then and it was impossible, on anything thats not a 2d game I keep looking for a 2nd stick that will never be there. The VMU is too good of an idea not to have on current consoles, though.

Although it has been surpassed by SSFIV, Project Justice is still a blast to play today. Looney Tunes Racing is cool as well.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Although it has been surpassed by SSFIV, Project Justice is still a blast to play today. Looney Tunes Racing is cool as well.[/QUOTE]

I agree PJ is a great game.

Powerstone is the perfect balance of frustration and addiction. So is House of the Dead 2 combined with light guns... that's a great co-op experience.

Oh and Soul Calibur has aged incredibly well.

[quote name='HydroX']I'm shocked there has not been an update to the Power Stone series (or even a "HD remix"/direct port on XBLA)[/QUOTE]

There was Power Stone Collection for PSP, but it's not great. I'd rather play it with friends on an actual TV.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']There was Power Stone Collection for PSP, but it's not great. I'd rather play it with friends on an actual TV.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, yeah I forgot about that.. but I don't really count that one since nobody I know has a PSP (nor do I, for that matter).

Surprising a lot of last gen games haven't aged too well compared to these new next gen games. Games seem to get better and better each generation. In any case, I still enjoy shenmue 2...the graphics though are really starting to show their age and the voice acting is down right terrible compared to what's out now. The story and gameplay are still pretty good though.

I think all the games have aged well to me. But maybe that's something to do with the fact that I don't have any of the latest systems or even play on them. Plus if I can still really enjoy a 25+ year old game, I'm sure I can still enjoy one that's around 10 years old.

OK, I do think the original SoulCalibur is the best of all, I mean it kept it simple with the right number of fighters. I mean when you look at SC4, something definitely has to creep out you from the inside, and make you wonder, WTF has this series gone into?

Yes to all potential Dreamcast owners, please add a VGA box to your list, as it improve the graphics for several games.

The games I still keep my DC around for are:

Jet Grind Radio
Worms World Party
Rez (though the 360 update kinda trumps it)
PowerStone 2
Super Magnetic Neo (god that game is hard!)
Soul Caliber

[quote name='Nikadimas']Although there's a bunch of sequels and different versions, my wife and I still swear that Unreal Tournament on the Dreamcast is the best FPSs we've played. In fact, she just played through it again last month. It's the only game she's better than me in, and we've both beaten it on Master difficulty.

I still have a ton of Dreamcast games, but to be honest the only two I've played in the last few years have been Unreal Tournament and Marvel vs. Capcom 2. But now that they have MvC2 on Xbox Live and PS3, that title found it's way back on the shelf.[/QUOTE]

Is UT99 on DC really that good? I have always wanted to play it in a "Making fun of it" type of way. Not that it's a bad game, but with that controller.... I just don't know.

Crazy taxi definitely has been overshadowed by better racers/driving games. Even at arcades people seem to skip out on playing it

I sold Super Magnetic Neo years ago because I was afraid it would make me throw my DC across the room. Definitely one of the most frustrating games on the system.

Still play Bangai-O, Rez, Project Justice, Jet Grind Radio, oh and Super Puzzle Fighter II X... I love the extra play modes in SPFIIX, and I'm shocked that they never got released in a proper North American format.

I guees the fighting games in the DC are better than the PS2 ports.. For example Marvel VS Capcom 2.. I play a lot of Ikaruga...my New generation consoles are on boxes and my DC is working a lot this last weeks.

[quote name='swayz0r']Is UT99 on DC really that good? I have always wanted to play it in a "Making fun of it" type of way. Not that it's a bad game, but with that controller.... I just don't know.[/QUOTE]
If you can get a mouse and keyboard for the Dreamcast, you won't need the controller.

[quote name='cucososio']I guees the fighting games in the DC are better than the PS2 ports.. For example Marvel VS Capcom 2.. I play a lot of Ikaruga...my New generation consoles are on boxes and my DC is working a lot this last weeks.[/QUOTE]

MvC2 is about the only one better honestly (and maybe CvS2).

Third Strike, Alpha 3, Mark of the Wolves, KOF 98, Last Blade, etc are all much better ports on PS2.

[quote name='bluesyncopate']oh and Super Puzzle Fighter II X... I love the extra play modes in SPFIIX, and I'm shocked that they never got released in a proper North American format.[/QUOTE]

Don't they show up in Super Puzzle Fighter II HD whatever on XBLA/PSN? It's been years since I played my DC Super Puzzle Fighter but I'm pretty sure that apart from graphics filters, the extra modes are in the downloadable games.

bread's done
Back