DS Download Stations Are Here!(YMMV)

myxyplik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I read they wouldn't be active for another two weeks (I believe it was Kotaku), but just for shits and giggles, I decided to try it at the local Best Buy. Lo and behold, it works! I downloaded Meteos there (great game). It may not be at your store yet (also EB, Gamestop, and I think one or two others), so YMMV.

I'm guessing you have to pay to download it? How much? If it's close to what they charge for the cartridge then I'd rather go that route.

[quote name='Swingman']I'm guessing you have to pay to download it? How much? If it's close to what they charge for the cartridge then I'd rather go that route.[/quote]

They're just demos, no way to store that much data on a DS.

Tried this out at Best Buy on Friday. My rommate got Pokemon Trozei and I got Brain Training. Worked very well, save for the fact that it could only transfer to one person at a time. It was fun though, especially since I had an excuse to have the Lite out in public ;)

Nice! I'm looking forward to putting some in my ds. Can you only have one demo at a time in the ds? I'm assuming yes but I just want to make sure.

[quote name='basketkase543']Nice! I'm looking forward to putting some in my ds. Can you only have one demo at a time in the ds? I'm assuming yes but I just want to make sure.[/QUOTE]
Yep and it goes bye-bye once you turn the machine off.

I want to try out that Brain Age demo.

[quote name='daroga'] It was fun though, especially since I had an excuse to have the Lite out in public ;)[/quote]

As soon as you walk out the store some crazy Nintendo fanboy jumps you and runs off with your Lite.

[quote name='Foolman']As soon as you walk out the store some crazy Nintendo fanboy jumps you and runs off with your Lite.[/QUOTE]
I went to a gamestop shortly after looking for a case that I Could use for it, and the girl working there literally flipped out when she saw it. "Is that out yet?! OHMYGOSH! IT'S SO AWESOME!!!" It was kidna fun, so she and my frienda dn I just shot the breeze about DS games in general, NSMB in particular, and then I scolded my single friend when he didn't ask for her number. ;)

[quote name='daroga']Tried this out at Best Buy on Friday. My rommate got Pokemon Trozei and I got Brain Training. Worked very well, save for the fact that it could only transfer to one person at a time. It was fun though, especially since I had an excuse to have the Lite out in public ;)[/quote]

I'm assuming the new download stations are separate from the current DS displays? I just called my local BB and they are saying they don't have one yet, but I also don't trust that they know what the hell they are talking about either.

I may head over there at lunch just to see. I want to try Brain Training out.

Hmm.. I saw one at a local BestBuy too, but I didn't have my DS. I assumed it wasn't actually out yet because it was just a little sign next to a DS that had a playable demo of MPH and nothing downloadable, but I guess I might be wrong.

[quote name='lebowsky']I'm assuming the new download stations are separate from the current DS displays? I just called my local BB and they are saying they don't have one yet, but I also don't trust that they know what the hell they are talking about either.

I may head over there at lunch just to see. I want to try Brain Training out.[/QUOTE]
Not much difference. There was just a sign up near the normal DS. I'd just try to log on regardless of what is posted.

If any of you live in Maryland and can go to Best Buy on Rockville Pike, they have a sign for the DS Download Station beneath the GameCube's Demo Game Area; the unit itself is within the same case the GameCube is in. I can't say it only allowed one person to download at a time since my friend and I were downloading MPH simultaneously - while my DS displayed no other messages besides "downloading," their DS had a message saying "1 other person is downloading this" but it didn't stop them from downloading it or appeared to slow down.

[quote name='lebowsky']I'm assuming the new download stations are separate from the current DS displays? I just called my local BB and they are saying they don't have one yet, but I also don't trust that they know what the hell they are talking about either.[/quote]

I read a web article for the Nintendo store opening that the download station there was the entire store, so I assumed this was also true of Best Buy. But I noticed that my connection was weaker the farther away I was from the DS kiosk. Based on that, I would say the kiosk is the download station.

I noticed a wireless router up in the rafters at my BB over the DS section, which I believe is the download station.

Tried several games. Brain Age is a lot of fun and the demo has already sold me on it, especially for just $20.

I would also note that the multiplayer options seem enabled for the demos! There was no one to play against, but you could select multiplayer Tetris or Mario Kart, for example, in the demos.

[quote name='daroga']I went to a gamestop shortly after looking for a case that I Could use for it, and the girl working there literally flipped out when she saw it. "Is that out yet?! OHMYGOSH! IT'S SO AWESOME!!!" It was kidna fun, so she and my frienda dn I just shot the breeze about DS games in general, NSMB in particular, and then I scolded my single friend when he didn't ask for her number. ;)[/QUOTE]

*suppresses inevitable stylus joke*

two questions

1. are these system on 24 hours a day or just when the store is open

2... can you sit in the parking lot and download or do you have to go into the store.... cause im sure the person at the front would think your returning the system

[quote name='lebowsky']Just an update. I found that my local BB has a download station now - but of course I didn't have my DS with me.

I saw on kotaku that Nintendo now has a DS Demo station store lookup on their site so no more guesswork!

http://www.nintendo.com/dsdownloadstation/[/QUOTE]
Interesting... that link has the Lite instead of the original DS....

dl'd Brain Age... my overview of it:

the 3 options in the Brain Training demo are -

Brain Age Check: When you see
"Yellow" on screen, you say "Red" outloud (4 different colors in the demo). Voice recognition is pretty good as long as you dont shout really close to the microphone (oops). Without missing a single one, and at an ok pace, I got a Brain Age of 50.

Training: A series of math problem like "5+7", "7*9" and "0*5". You see them on the non-touch screen, and you write the answer on the touch screen. Number recognition is great, but depending on how you write "4" you may need to clean it up a bit or you get a "?" and have to re-write it. This one is speed based... Im at bicycle speed!

Sudoku: normal sudoku, but you can write up to 4 possible #'s in each box to help you out. This is also time based. You can get up to 5 wrong answers before you lose. Each wrong answer ads 20 minutes to your score. Yet again, Bike speed.

Music sounds like a Sonic the Hedghog options screen (not bad, but not that good either). VERY simple, but still somehow really fun. Cant wait to plunk down $20 in a bit over a week!

[quote name='SpottedNigel']dl'd Brain Age... my overview of it:

the 3 options in the Brain Training demo are -

Brain Age Check: When you see
"Yellow" on screen, you say "Red" outloud (4 different colors in the demo). Voice recognition is pretty good as long as you dont shout really close to the microphone (oops). Without missing a single one, and at an ok pace, I got a Brain Age of 50.

Training: A series of math problem like "5+7", "7*9" and "0*5". You see them on the non-touch screen, and you write the answer on the touch screen. Number recognition is great, but depending on how you write "4" you may need to clean it up a bit or you get a "?" and have to re-write it. This one is speed based... Im at bicycle speed!

Sudoku: normal sudoku, but you can write up to 4 possible #'s in each box to help you out. This is also time based. You can get up to 5 wrong answers before you lose. Each wrong answer ads 20 minutes to your score. Yet again, Bike speed.

Music sounds like a Sonic the Hedghog options screen (not bad, but not that good either). VERY simple, but still somehow really fun. Cant wait to plunk down $20 in a bit over a week!
[/quote]

I played the Brain Age Check in BB on Saturday. My wife was standing next to me and by the time the third word popped on the screen, she was shouting answers into the DS with me. Nintendo knows what they are doing if they can get my wife to play a DS game.

[quote name='lebowsky']Nintendo knows what they are doing if they can get my wife to play a DS game.[/quote]

I was shocked when I asked my GF "You want to try?" and she said yes. More shocking when she actually tried to beat her score. Even more shocking when she was helping with the Sudoku later that evening.

If Nintendo can get similar games on the Revolution I'll be one happy man.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']I was shocked when I asked my GF "You want to try?" and she said yes. More shocking when she actually tried to beat her score. Even more shocking when she was helping with the Sudoku later that evening.

If Nintendo can get similar games on the Revolution I'll be one happy man.[/quote]

I know, I totally agree. My wife loves Sudoku, she plays the Shockwave games every day at lunch, so I think she'll play Brain Games for that alone.

More updates on the DS wireless stations. Kotaku put up a link to the hackaday forums in which someone managed to pry open a DS download station at Best Buy and see what is broadcasting the demos. The funny thing is that it is just a regular DS! Apparently there is software running on a regular DS cart that is broadcasting the demos using the DS WiFi.

Pretty ingenious (and cheap) method for getting these demos out there.

It would be cool if someone "acquires" a DS demo cart and manages to figure out how to broadcast these over the internet.

Here is a link to the forum post:

http://www.teamhackaday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=898

Depends on the store. If they leave it on, then yes, you can d/l from it. at the gamecrazy near me, I would probably have to park right in front of the building in order to get it from inside my car. As it is I just stood outside and around the
corner and it worked fine

went to best buy around 10 pm last night - drove up front - they had these big metal doors down in front of the regular glass doors - didn't think it would work - but sure enough - my gf's pink ds picked it up from inside the car with the car door closed - she had to get out and hold my silver one up in the air but it got the signal too - so now we both have brain age demos!

[quote name='daroga']I touched the one at our Best Buy!! I'm... I'm a dork....[/QUOTE]

It's ok, touching is good.

and Cao Cao, I feel like an idiot, but I just got where your username comes from. I'm embarassed =(.

Ill have to check this out today, Brain Training is on my list of wants at the moment, but would still like something to hold me over until I get the game

bread's done
Back