DS lite - The first session

Who's The Twitch Now?

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Here is a story:

I brought my swanky new DS lite home. I put screen protectors on, set the settings, and put in my new copy of Kirby: Canvas Curse. I set the screen to the brightest level and I played for 15 minutes in a dim room. When I had had my full of fun, I closed the system carefully and looked up at the computer screen.

Now, I knew that the AIM window I had open was supposed to be white. It was not. It was somewhere between grey and haze. I suddenly realized that I had been feeding rainbows and such directly into my corneas at a brighter-than-natural level. I slowly focused and the monitor started to brighten. Then I became aware of a slight headache behind my eyes, and I thought, "I love this. So, so much."

Some may say, "Maybe you should stop playing."

To them I say, "I am a sick man, but I am not mad."

Tell me your tales.

Everytime I go from playing my Micro to my SP, I keep thinking its on the dullest setting...and then I realize that the SP only has the light on or off.

I cant wait to have 2 LARGER suns rotting my brain.

So many people are saying they have dead pixels. Its very disheartening to me, and I hope mine doesn't have any. Will be picking one up after work.

played 1 level on Ouendan. wow....bright.

then played a couple minutes of Super Puzzle Fighter II for GBA. for some reason I didn't notice a difference in brightness for this game.

just tried out Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow in Boss Rush mode. Bright. I hadn't played the game in a long time and playing it just now made me realize how overleveled I am.

didn't notice any dead pixels.

My navy Lite has one stuck pixel in the touch screen. It was really only obnoxious when playing Trace Memory since there's so much black on the blwoer screen in that game. 98% of the time, I don't even notice it. It's pretty out of the way.

That being said, those of you with stuck/dead pixels, call up Nintendo. For the original DS they didn't tollerate any in their systems. Can't imagine that's changed at all.

Guys...don't be so disheartened about dead pixels unless you've imported your DS Lite. You have EVERY right as a consumer to return the unit for another one...Nintendo's own repair policy makes it quite clear that they themselves consider dead pixels to be defects, not something you should tolerate.

I charged and played a couple of games on my Lite. This is my first DS and I absolutely love this system. The touch screen, especially in a game like Kirby, can give such a different gameplay experience than anything else out there right now. Can't wait to try the Wii after this.

It wasn't until I started Animal Crossing that I saw the flakey pixel right in the middle of the screen. >_< If it had been off to the side I would have ignored it, but I had a little white bug following my character all over the place. Luckily, despite what their website said, my local Best Buy had two left. Made an exchange after proving my case and everything looks perfect now. :D

great system. Made me feel like an idiot for no reason other than the fact that I didn't like the fact that I use to own an original DS over this...

The DS Lite proves that I'll replace anything I have with a bright screen... even my penis!

Mine is charging as well. I tested it out before and no dead pixels either. So far I love everything about it. Makes the old DS look like an antique.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']You're supposed to fully charge it before the first power up...FYI[/QUOTE]

I am guessing because of having longer charge, but I realy don't see why. you can still get full charge no matter what... it'll just take longer. I had to open mine in-store to transfer my wifi data.

I played the demo unit at best buy today and I think the screen was on it's brightest level. Needless to say it was just way too bright and seemed like it was blurring the colors on its' highest setting. I don't think I like the new d-pad though, it's sort of like a more wobbly version of the gba pad.

I had a stuck light green pixel on my touch screen. I exchanged it at TRU. My original DS had two stuck pixels, one on each screen. I went through Nintendo for that replacement. They have a nice system where they will send you a replacement and a box to send the defective unit back. If you don't send it back within a week, they'll charge your credit card. Easy, and you're not without a machine for any time.

[quote name='adamsappel']I had a stuck light green pixel on my touch screen. I exchanged it at TRU. My original DS had two stuck pixels, one on each screen. I went through Nintendo for that replacement. They have a nice system where they will send you a replacement and a box to send the defective unit back. If you don't send it back within a week, they'll charge your credit card. Easy, and you're not without a machine for any time.[/QUOTE]

the semi sweet part is that you get a few hours to have more than 1 DS at your home for a few hours before you package it to ship.

[quote name='chargeup45']Any word on if its more or less comfortable to handle than the regular DS?[/QUOTE]

It's more comfortable IMO. The lighter weight does helps and the size is actually pretty perfect for my hands. I can go from face buttons to touch screen with ease.

I was initially pissed because I had a HUGE dead pixel (might've been two or three together) right in the middle of the touch screen. But was impressed with the design and the screen.

After I exchanged it, I wanted to see how bight the lowest setting was and then I realize it wasn't even at the brightest setting by default (it's only at 3/4 full brightness). Absolutely amazing for DS games but it really shines with GBA and 2D games. I love it!:)

Has to be played at home to be believed IMO. I played it for a second on the third brightness setting and it looked a lot better. I switched it off and put it on the brightest, and it is crazy bright. I have to do a side by side but it may be brighter then my PSP. I put in Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and I say details that I never had before. It was like I was playing a console game. Plus the small size makes the screen look huge. If I didn't know better I'd say the screen was bigger.

With the $70 +10% with edge card at gamestop and ebgames for the original DS combined with the Case and free Brain Age ( with coupon on their web site) at Circuit City with purchese if the lite it's a no brainer. I picked up SMT Digital Devil Saga 2($30) + Mario Kart DD (25) and got Stella Deus in the buy to get three free and still have $25 left on my card. Overall a great day for me.

[quote name='Vinny']
After I exchanged it, I wanted to see how bight the lowest setting was and then I realize it wasn't even at the brightest setting by default (it's only at 3/4 full brightness). Absolutely amazing for DS games but it really shines with GBA and 2D games. I love it!:)[/QUOTE]

Totally agree... GBA games and espically 2-D games look amazing on it.

I just got mine today...but oddly doesn't the DS Lite suppose to be includes with a strap or some sort?
I can't find mine in the box..

[quote name='DARKiLLUSiON']I just got mine today...but oddly doesn't the DS Lite suppose to be includes with a strap or some sort?
I can't find mine in the box..[/QUOTE]

US version doesn't come with a strap

No Dead Pixels here. I could never go back to my original DS now. The only thing I am not crazy about is the way the GBA games stick out, but I knew that going in to the purchase. I am very pleased with the Lite.

[quote name='chargeup45']Any word on if its more or less comfortable to handle than the regular DS?[/QUOTE]
No not at all. I have huge hands (i was worried about how it might feel) but actually it feels just fine.

Didnt own a "Fat" DS, so this was my first experience with the system...and man, this thing is fantastic.

After my debacle with the screen protectors, I decided to throw in Feel The Magic just to test it out. Not exactly an uber-game, but it was one of the games I had that wasnt still sealed. :) Anyway, it doesnt waste time throwing mini-games at you, and gameplay using a touchscreen was just amazing (The minigame where I had to blow out candles by blowing on the microphone was a blast, too. :) ) Nintendo really has revolutionized the concept with touchscreen gameplay, imo, and I cant wait to see how it comes into play in games like Kirby: Canvas Curse and others. It's really just an incredibly fun new way to play games, and I'm glad I jumped on the bandwagon and gave this system a try.

I am not sure what screen brightness I had set, but I was happy with it, as well as the adequacy of the audio coming from such a small audio system. All in all, it's a very nice little piece of hardware, and well worth $129.

Is anyone else's volume switch loose? By loose I mean I can hear it click around when I press on it, but don't move it. It feels as though it could fall off.

I hope this is true for everyone and not just me.

[quote name='AshesofWake']US version doesn't come with a strap[/QUOTE]
That's very weird... the Japanese version didn't have to useless thumbnub, but it did come with a wrist strap of sorts. Whatever, it gets in the way more than it's useful. :)

I picked up Zelda Oracle of Seasons and Ages at the same time I picked up my DS Lite, and was surprised to find that it wouldnt play GBC games. Guess I just assumed that it would, since DSL > GBA:SP > GBC. Oh well, pretty sure I'll get over it...and I still have the GBA:SP sitting here, when I want to play a little old-school Zelda. :)

[quote name='noodles']I picked up Zelda Oracle of Seasons and Ages at the same time I picked up my DS Lite, and was surprised to find that it wouldnt play GBC games. Guess I just assumed that it would, since DSL > GBA:SP > GBC. Oh well, pretty sure I'll get over it...and I still have the GBA:SP sitting here, when I want to play a little old-school Zelda. :)[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it would be nice if the DS was an all-in-one system, but alas. I just invested in the GBP and the GBA SP2 and will have ready access to all my GBA, GBC, and GB games forever. :)

Mario and Luigi: PiT is absolutely gorgeous on the brightest setting. Played Mario Kart on it as well but was too caught up in winning to pay attention to how stuff looked.

The 2-d games really do look great. Castlevania and Metroid Zero Mission were fantastic. So much so that I'm getting back into them and will probably finally beat Zero mission and Hard mode and Julius Mode for Castlevania DS.

I've got mine on the 3/4 brightness setting, and that is plenty bright for most settings for me. I put in GBA Advance Wars 2, and was surprised to see that some of the colors looked kinda washed-out on the DS Lite (I usually play it on the GB Micro). But, once I took the DS off of the 4/4 setting, it was much better.

Never been much of a console/handheld gamer (PC for me), but kind of got into it after playing with my girlfriend's GBA SP for a few weeks. So we each got one yesterday.

The thing really is nice. Nice bright screen. New Mario looks awesome and is a lot of fun. Also picked up Metroid Prime: Hunters, and it is truly freaky being able to play deathmatch on-line, with this teeny device, from the comfort of my couch.

I did splurge the "whopping" $5.95 to have Nintendo ship me an original DS strap. Methinks the thumb pad will be handy for Metroid (and it's a small price to pay to find out).

Oh, and the GBA games look really nice on a brighter screen. And it's no big deal at all to have the cartridge stick out, so I can't understand why people/reviews complain about this as much as they do. I'm used to that sort of thing from my ye olde Atari and Intellivision days.

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']Never been much of a console/handheld gamer (PC for me), but kind of got into it after playing with my girlfriend's GBA SP for a few weeks. So we each got one yesterday.

The thing really is nice. Nice bright screen. New Mario looks awesome and is a lot of fun. Also picked up Metroid Prime: Hunters, and it is truly freaky being able to play deathmatch on-line, with this teeny device, from the comfort of my couch.

I did splurge the "whopping" $5.95 to have Nintendo ship me an original DS strap. Methinks the thumb pad will be handy for Metroid (and it's a small price to pay to find out).

Oh, and the GBA games look really nice on a brighter screen. And it's no big deal at all to have the cartridge stick out, so I can't understand why people/reviews complain about this as much as they do. I'm used to that sort of thing from my ye olde Atari and Intellivision days.

-HM[/QUOTE]

Its not like they haven't done this before...classic GB and GBC games stuck out of the GBA/SP...they were even kind enough to give us a sexy cap for when we dont have a cartridge in...this is a non-issue...people can't always have their cake and eat it too (compact and sexy vs. 100 percent seamless backwards compatibility)

As long as it doesn't stick out all the way (it doesn't), and as long as it doesn't hinder my hands or wrists (it doesn't), then it's almost a non-issue. Besides, most people aren't going to playing their GBA games THAT much once they get enough of the DS titles in their library.

-HM

Im still on the line: leaning towards getting one, but unsure if i should spend the money yet considering i still need to find a summer job.

Today, however, my friend, who isn't really a huge gamer but i hooked on warioware, takes one out during lunch. I nearly shit myself when i actually got to see it. I only got to hold it for a second (he got touched with his) but I could already tell it was pretty comfortable

Any word on when they are releasing other colors in the US? I know they annouinced the new colors like a week after the Japanese launch. I stopped playing my original DS waiting for this, but I do not want white. I would LOVE if they brought the ice blue one here.....although, I know they won't.

Do I really need the screen protectors? And what kind of cases do you use to protect it when not in use.

Also, no dead pixels (touches wood). I got brain age for free with the coupon at Best Buy. They had them in the back. And as for a strap, I'm using my PSP strap!

bread's done
Back