DS Rumble Pak aka Metroid Prime Pinball thread

banpeikun

CAGiversary!
Feedback
65 (100%)
Sorry if this is old news, but Metroid Prime Pinball (ships Oct 24) will come with a DS Rumble Pak that fits in the GBA slot.

yeah, its neat stuff... now the question is, do i pick up metroid pinball or not.

on one hand other games might use it, so itd be nice to pick it up for "free", if i dont pick up MP then there is a chance that i have to pay like 19.99 for the pack down the road...

on the other hand, what if this doesnt catch on, then i have a game i dont really want and a useless rumblepack... ugh

does anyone know if other developers have said anything about using the rumble pack?

I'm really surprised that the rumble pak isn't bigger news around the boards. This is the kind of stuff that makes the DS even greater than it already is out of the box.

From the moment I saw the GBA port on the DS I thought "oh wow! expansion paks here we come!" I can definitely see expansion paks coming out for Animal Crossing, and I'd imagine the rumble pak will get some heavy use, too... would be cool to see it used in Mario Kart and AC (how better to tell when a fish takes the bait?).

javeryh started a new thread, which made me dig up this old thread, and now that i have it hear i thought itd post a link to igns impression of the rumble pack

http://ds.ign.com/articles/659/659378p1.html

Either our cartridge is broken, or the DS Rumble Pak is one of the noisiest Rumble Paks Nintendo has ever built. When playing Metroid Prime Pinball, we can hear the rumble mechanism more than we can feel the rumble effects in the system. It's so loud, in fact, that it sounds like a metallic "chirp" whenever the rumble is activated. We'd rather just not put it in the system at all. Good thing it's free, because at this point we wouldn't bother buying it as an extra.

That kinda makes me worried, i sure hope they got an early version or a broken one

I'm planning on getting Metroid Prime Pinball anyways, so rumble pack is just a bonus. I haven't bought a pinball game since the original Game Boy Kirby's Pinball...so I figure it's time to upgrade a bit.

I hope Metroid Prime Pinball is as good as pinball of the dead. I've always felt that there's more to be explored in the pinball genre (seriously!) :)

[quote name='SierraNight']I'm planning on getting Metroid Prime Pinball anyways, so rumble pack is just a bonus. I haven't bought a pinball game since the original Game Boy Kirby's Pinball...so I figure it's time to upgrade a bit.[/QUOTE]

Man I still play Kirby's Pinball Land, it's one of the best pinball games made. It really helps me get through church, I even beat my highscore in church, lol, maybe it was divine intervention that helped me.

I hope Metroid Prime Pinball is good, I'll definately pick it up if it gets good reviews and I'm quite curious how the rumble will feel.

Not really old, nor new news. Sort of in the middle I guess. Like someone else said, this just makes the DS a 100 times cooler, or at least for me. I was already planning on picking up Metroid Pinball, so this is just even more good news. I always thought of the GBA slot as more than just a slot, but also as an expansion. And Kirby Pinball Land is awesome. I've played that game so much, but I probably would have to put Pokemon Pinball (both games) slightly higher than it as I love how they executed on converging the concept of catching Pokemon and Pinball at the same time. Both great games.

[quote name='Epic Wolf']Old :) well atleast to me it is but Im sure it'll be NEW to alot of people here ;)[/QUOTE]

You know what else is old? Spelling "a lot" as one word when it's really two.

[quote name='David85']You know what else is old? Spelling "a lot" as one word when it's really two.[/QUOTE]

You my friend have "a lot" of time on your hands ;)

[quote name='Apossum']I hope Metroid Prime Pinball is as good as pinball of the dead. I've always felt that there's more to be explored in the pinball genre (seriously!) :)[/QUOTE]

In the latest GameInformer there is a review for Metroid Pinball. Gave it a solid 8.0 :) . I will try and scan the article later if anyone want me too other wise just pick up the new GI.

[quote name='David85']You know what else is old? Spelling "a lot" as one word when it's really two.[/QUOTE]

You know what else is really bad? You pointed him out on a lot, but didn't even mention that "atleast" isn't a real word either.

There was a demo of Metroid Pinball (or full game..not sure) only got to play for like 2 minutes though, so just a heads up for anyone. It didn't have the rumble pack either.

Wow, that's ALL you felt the need to post regarding?

[quote name='TUBAPRO1']You know what else is really bad? You pointed him out on a lot, but didn't even mention that "atleast" isn't a real word either.[/QUOTE]

Nope.

In high school all I learned in English was freshman and senior year when my teacher would take 50% off a paper if it had "alot" more than once.

[quote name='doomlv20']Man I still play Kirby's Pinball Land, it's one of the best pinball games made. It really helps me get through church, I even beat my highscore in church, lol, maybe it was divine intervention that helped me.[/QUOTE]

You play Gameboy during church? :whistle2:s

I'm not too happy with what IGN said about the rumble pak being noisy and too strong. I'm worried it might jerk some parts loose in my DS or something.

I hope they weren't exaggerating there.

[quote name='Requiem']I'm not too happy with what IGN said about the rumble pak being noisy and too strong. I'm worried it might jerk some parts loose in my DS or something.

I hope they weren't exaggerating there.[/QUOTE]

I think their complaint was that is was more noisy than it was strong. So, it really made noise rather than rumbling. But the point is the same, I hope their issues were unique to their pak.

daroga

I was not looking forward to this game but with the inclusion of the rumble pack, and that Mario & Luigi 2 Supports it...I'll buy it.

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1129726311

"Nintendo confirmed today that Mario and Luigi: Partners In Time will be the second game to utilize the Nintendo DS Rumble Pak. This is the first game Nintendo has confirmed Rumble Pak support for outside of Metroid Prime Pinball.

Mario and Luigi: Partners In Time will be available on November 28th, but you can pick up Metroid Prime Pinball packaged with the DS Rumble Pak on October 24th. Nintendo has yet to announce any plans to sell the DS Rumble Pak seperately"

[quote name='kaw']You play Gameboy during church? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]
Yes, I do that quite often, just keep the sound off and keep the gameboy low so too many people can't see. I really recommend playing a strategy game during church, I have spent countless hours playing Advance Wars in church.
I just remembered, I beat Sword of Mana while in church, I was disappointed because I still had half an hour to go in curch and I beat my game. Oh, and I also beat Metroid Zero Mission while in church, those were some good times.

[quote name='doomlv20']Yes, I do that quite often, just keep the sound off and keep the gameboy low so too many people can't see. I really recommend playing a strategy game during church, I have spent countless hours playing Advance Wars in church.
I just remembered, I beat Sword of Mana while in church, I was disappointed because I still had half an hour to go in curch and I beat my game. Oh, and I also beat Metroid Zero Mission while in church, those were some good times.[/QUOTE]

Wow... way to get the most out of your religious experience.

[quote name='doomlv20']Yes, I do that quite often, just keep the sound off and keep the gameboy low so too many people can't see. I really recommend playing a strategy game during church, I have spent countless hours playing Advance Wars in church.
I just remembered, I beat Sword of Mana while in church, I was disappointed because I still had half an hour to go in curch and I beat my game. Oh, and I also beat Metroid Zero Mission while in church, those were some good times.[/QUOTE]

:applause: My fiancee does the same thing. She has to continue going until we get our own place, so while she goes to Church she plays Kirby.

I don't understand, don't people look at you and notice when you are playing in church? And aren't you with your parents -- so wouldn't they see the GB and get mad?

See you in hell.

And fuck Nintendo... they knew Metroid Pinball wouldn't sell all that great probably, so what's the best way to boost sales? Include a device that will be used on the game everyone DOES want to play. Ingenious, but low. Guess I'll have to buy Metroid Pinball now, unless they sell it seperately... even then, it will probably be overpriced and I'll just buy MP anyways.

[quote name='Roufuss']See you in hell.

And fuck Nintendo... they knew Metroid Pinball wouldn't sell all that great probably, so what's the best way to boost sales? Include a device that will be used on the game everyone DOES want to play. Ingenious, but low. Guess I'll have to buy Metroid Pinball now, unless they sell it seperately... even then, it will probably be overpriced and I'll just buy MP anyways.[/QUOTE]

Either that or they're giving you something free to add to an already steallar pinball title.

[quote name='daroga']Either that or they're giving you something free to add to an already steallar pinball title.[/QUOTE]Is it your opinion that this pinball game is a 'good' one? I don't know anything about pinball, never got into it. But I kind of like the Space Cadet game on windows, since there are missions and stuff. I can't get very far.

[quote name='banpeikun']Is it your opinion that this pinball game is a 'good' one? I don't know anything about pinball, never got into it. But I kind of like the Space Cadet game on windows, since there are missions and stuff. I can't get very far.[/QUOTE]

I must confess I've not played it yet. Judging from what others are saying and the footage I've seen, it looks very nice. Some pinball games are great in my book, others stink. I wasn't fond of Sonic Pinball on GBA, while Pokemon Ruby & Saphire pinball on GBA is great. Likewise, Kirby's Pinball on GB is a really fun time too. Someone needs to port Epic Pinball to the DS. I don't know how many hours I wasted in grade school playing the shareware version of that!

I really want to get it, but at 35 clams, I can't swing it (especially with Mario Kart next month). Maybe some place will have it on sale. Otherwise, I'll just wait till Christmas and ask for it then (can you still ask for games when you're 24 years old? ;) )

daroga

Well, I found Metroid Prime Pinball today at wal-mart so I picked it up. Only played a few times so far, but sure is fun. As for the rumble pack, it's not really that strong of a shaking sensation, and I can see what the people were talking about when they were mentioning the noise it makes. Definately not something you'd want to use when in church or something. ^_~

This is getting ridiculous. The DS was supposed to have cheaper games. Didn't Nintendo even go so far as to say that all first party titles would be $30. Now it seems rare that a game comes out for less than $35. Sure its only $5 but I bought my DS to pick up cheaper portable games than my PSP but now I might as well drop the little extra cash and get another PSP game.

Now I know your saying what's $5 but for some reason I think its a mental thing that sub $30 games seem a lot cheaper than $35 games, almost like the $34.99 seems closer in price to $40 than it does to $30. Both with Metroid Pinball and Castlevania, if they had been come out at $30 then I would own them already.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']This is getting ridiculous. The DS was supposed to have cheaper games. Didn't Nintendo even go so far as to say that all first party titles would be $30. Now it seems rare that a game comes out for less than $35. Sure its only $5 but I bought my DS to pick up cheaper portable games than my PSP but now I might as well drop the little extra cash and get another PSP game.

Now I know your saying what's $5 but for some reason I think its a mental thing that sub $30 games seem a lot cheaper than $35 games, almost like the $34.99 seems closer in price to $40 than it does to $30. Both with Metroid Pinball and Castlevania, if they had been come out at $30 then I would own them already.[/QUOTE]

I agree that $35 seems a bit excessive for pinball. But Castlevania would be a steal at $50, quite honestly. I put more time into that title than most I have for my non-handheld consoles. Other great games for the DS such as Trauma Center and Phoenix Wright are weiging it at the $30 pricetag.

The problem with MP:p is that most Nintendo-made handheld games don't go on sale. Maybe this'll be an exception :)

I guess the extra $5 might be for that rumble pak

I'm confident nearly all of Nintendo's games will be $30

Now what gets me mad are the third party games like Frogger coming out at $40. Now that's ridiculous! (and they wonder why nobody buys them)

[quote name='banpeikun']Oh crap i thought Metroid Prime Pinball was going to be $30.[/QUOTE]

Well $5 more for a neat new accessory isn't too bad... but I doubt that you really need rumble in your portable gaming lifestyle.:)

[quote name='Vinny']Well $5 more for a neat new accessory isn't too bad... but I doubt that you really need rumble in your portable gaming lifestyle.:)[/QUOTE]Sure, I'd pay $5 for a rumble pack, but not $30 for a pinball game. That's just me personally, I rank pinball games up there with whac-a-mole. But I would have paid $30 for both together just because that's what DS games usually cost.

Sometimes I wish there were some $50 DS games so I can preorder them with blockbuster's deal and not feel like I'm not getting full value on the deal...

[quote name='daroga']
I really want to get it, but at 35 clams, I can't swing it (especially with Mario Kart next month). Maybe some place will have it on sale. Otherwise, I'll just wait till Christmas and ask for it then (can you still ask for games when you're 24 years old? ;) )

daroga[/QUOTE]
Umm... I hope so. Cause now that I'm getting a DS, ten or fifteen titles just popped up on my Christmas list, and I'm 24 and a half. :p GameCube I can pretty much handle on my own from now on, I don't think my parents would do a very good job at buying used games.

wow 24 and still getting video game xmas presents from the parents? I'd imagine you'd get an influx of random clothing items or stupid electronics. I just get money to buy what i want from my parents and im 17

[quote name='phammerz']wow 24 and still getting video game xmas presents from the parents? I'd imagine you'd get an influx of random clothing items or stupid electronics. I just get money to buy what i want from my parents and im 17[/QUOTE]
Well, the last few Christmases I've been getting PC games, since I didn't get a Cube till last Thanksgiving. But clothes are actually important now, what with working and all that. However, gift cards are the winner. Bunch of BB and EB and whatnot come in every year.

Anyway... is this packaging of the Rumble Pak with Metroid Pinball a permanent thing? Or if I wait two months, will it have been rereleased by itself?

I'm sure Nintendo will eventually release the Rumble Pak by itself, but it will probably be like $15-20. I've seen the official Nintendo wireless adaper for $20 before, and it came with Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green.

Everyone is saying the pinball game is pretty awesome, so it may be worth a pick up.

It's fun, but there really isn't alot to it. Kinda feel's like it could have been an unlockable in Hunter's or something. The rumble pack is OK, but that's it.....OK.

I love it. It is the type of game I will have for a long while trying to beat a high school. Kind of learning the board right now but since I enjoy pinball, the purchase was easy for me.

Its great. Multiple tables, little secrets everywhere, and great looking graphics. The rumble pack ads to the whole pinball table feel along with using the touch screen to "tilt" the table. On a side note, the Rumble pak cartridge is black, so its blends very well with the system

bread's done
Back