DS usb WiFi enabler

scdoanintendo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Credit goes to 4colorrebellion.com

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2005/10/05/nintendo-wifi-usb-connector/#comments

"For those without a wireless router, the USB connector will be sold worldwide.
1. You plug the connector into your internet-ready PC.
2. A window pops up, you click it with your mouse.
3. Then your DS can connect to it as a Wi-Fi access point.

Easy."

wifi_usb.jpg

I hope this is released in America. Some foreign shops already have it for about $30 US pre-order.

http://play.com/play247.asp?pa=stcs10&page=title&r=DS&title=731691

Update

from

engadet.com

"Nintendo seems to be going full steam ahead with the wireless capabilities of its DS; they have just announced a partnership with Buffalo Inc. that will bring WiFi gaming to both home and retail locations. For the home user, Nintendo will begin selling a USB WiFi dongle on November 25th that attaches to a gamer’s computer and acts as a de facto wireless router for multiplayer gaming. The partnership with Buffalo will also result in hundreds of “Nintendo hotspots” at videogame retailers in Japan, where “Nintendo Wi-Fi Stations” will allow users to congregate and connect free of charge. The home-use dongle will ship with Mario Kart DS, all for the low low price of $52."

gamespot.com

Nintendo has announced that the USB Wi-Fi adapter will be available in the US on November 14, the same day Mario Kart DS is released. For those who don't have a wireless Internet connection, the adapter can plug in to a computer's USB port to create a Wi-Fi connection with the DS. The price is still unknown for North America, but Nintendo Europe will be selling the adapter for 30 pounds ($53).

Using its internal wireless functionality, the DS will be able connect to any wireless hot spot that is Nintendo Wi-Fi-enabled without a Wi-Fi adapter. It will use friends lists (theinquirer.net reports that users will be given 12-digit codes rather than names), and it will work for international competition. Further details are expected to come shortly.

Online play for the DS will be free for first-party Nintendo games, such as Animal Crossing: Wild World and Metroid Prime Hunters. It will be up to third-party publishers to decide whether to charge for online play in their games.

Sweet, I've got a WiFi router, but I can see this little guy marrying well with the homebrew scene. Too cool :)

I might pick this up, despite having a wireless router, just to show Nintendo they are finally getting on the damn ball.

[quote name='smalien1']Damn! They should make one for the PSP! Can this be used in the PSP's USB jack by any chance?[/QUOTE]

Different usb jack. The psp's is a different shape than what fits in a computer.

and besides that, its built in anyways

[quote name='Strell']I might pick this up, despite having a wireless router, just to show Nintendo they are finally getting on the damn ball.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. This is a very smart move by Nintendo. A device which is easy to set up and is cheap (currently $30 as an import). I have a wireless router as well but it is flaky half the time. The fact that I can take this to any machine which has a broadband connection and play online with my DS is worth the money.

It works extremely well. The software is pretty basic, just allowing you to allow or deny DS users. It doesn't let any other wireless device piggyback on it however. Hopefully that'll change or someone could hack it.

[quote name='Quigoni']It works extremely well. The software is pretty basic, just allowing you to allow or deny DS users. It doesn't let any other wireless device piggyback on it however. Hopefully that'll change or someone could hack it.[/QUOTE]

I hope it is hacked by devs like WarpPipe so that WiFi LAN enabled games are able to be routed over the internet.

[quote name='Strell']I might pick this up, despite having a wireless router, just to show Nintendo they are finally getting on the damn ball.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Go Nintendo. This put one of my main worries to rest (I have a wireless router here, but my girlfriend does not, and that would make Animal Crossing a sad state of affairs).

Will any wireless router work or does it have to be one of those special ones people use to flash the DS? If so, I'm going to have to buy one of these.

[quote name='encendido5']Will any wireless router work or does it have to be one of those special ones people use to flash the DS? If so, I'm going to have to buy one of these.[/QUOTE]

Any router will work, afaik.

[quote name='scdoanintendo']Credit goes to 4colorrebellion.com

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2005/10/05/nintendo-wifi-usb-connector/#comments

"For those without a wireless router, the USB connector will be sold worldwide.
1. You plug the connector into your internet-ready PC.
2. A window pops up, you click it with your mouse.
3. Then your DS can connect to it as a Wi-Fi access point.

Easy."

wifi_usb.jpg

I hope this is released in America. Some foreign shops already have it for about $30 US pre-order.

http://play.com/play247.asp?pa=stcs10&page=title&r=DS&title=731691[/QUOTE]

would this device work with a computer with SBC DSL??

i have comcast but my nephew has dsl

[quote name='encendido5']Will any wireless router work or does it have to be one of those special ones people use to flash the DS? If so, I'm going to have to buy one of these.[/QUOTE]

Any will work. The reason you need a special one right now is because the DS is not online yet. So someone made a driver for a specific chipset that utilizes the DS's proprietary protocol.

[quote name='smalien1']Damn! They should make one for the PSP! Can this be used in the PSP's USB jack by any chance?[/QUOTE]
I live in San Francisco. ANd I don't need one of these since google is going to "blanket" the whole city with wifi accesspoints for free.

[quote name='undyingforce5']would this device work with a computer with SBC DSL??

i have comcast but my nephew has dsl[/QUOTE]

yes it should work on any pc with a usb port...I have Bellsouth Fastaccess dsl and running a wifi network on it rite now

[quote name='MorPhiend']Any will work. The reason you need a special one right now is because the DS is not online yet. So someone made a driver for a specific chipset that utilizes the DS's proprietary protocol.[/QUOTE]

aha, that makes sense. thanks MorPhiend and SpottedNigel

BUFFALO EXPANDS ITS PARTNERSHIP WITH NINTENDO WITH THE “NINTENDO WI-FI CONNECTION™” WIRELESS SERVICE
Release Date: 2005-10-05

Buffalo Media Contact:
Morikazu Sano
Tel: 81-52-619-1860
Email: [email protected]

BUFFALO EXPANDS ITS PARTNERSHIP WITH NINTENDO WITH THE “NINTENDO WI-FI CONNECTION™” WIRELESS SERVICE

Nintendo will Incorporate Buffalo’s AOSS Technology in an Effort to Simplify and Broaden Access to Wireless Gaming and Enhance the Overall Gaming Experience

Nagoya, Japan – October 5, 2005 - Buffalo, Inc. a global leader in the design, development and manufacturing of complete computer peripheral solutions such as wired and wireless networking, storage and memory products today announced it has partnered with Nintendo Co., Ltd., to expand the integration of its AirStation One-Touch Secure System (AOSS™) technology with Nintendo’s Nintendo DS (Dual Screen) handheld game system gaming devices.

Nintendo will incorporate AOSS into the devices for the company’s upcoming “Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection” service in Japan in November. “Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection” compatible software will also be available from November.

“We are in the age of the digital home where just about every entertainment or media device has wireless networking capabilities. It has been our goal to ensure that wireless networking is as simple as possible for consumers,” stated Morikazu Sano, senior vice president of global marketing at Buffalo Technology. “There are over 6.5 million consumer electronics devices that feature Buffalo’s AOSS technology including Buffalo brand products and those of several other vendors. Because it is our mission to simplify the digital home, we are always looking to partner with companies like Nintendo and bring to consumers all that wireless networking has to offer.”

AOSS allows users to automatically set-up a secure wireless network with the push of a button. The technology instantly detects and configures other AOSS enabled devices and seamlessly creates a secure connection based on the highest level of encryption available. By incorporating AOSS in the Nintendo DS system, Nintendo DS users can easily connect to any AOSS-enabled Buffalo AirStation™ router/access point (AP). Nintendo DS users just have to press the AOSS button to simply establish a secure connection between the Nintendo DS device and Buffalo AirStation AP.

Buffalo will also jointly develop with Nintendo a new Nintendo-ready wireless software AP - the “Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector”, which will be sold by Nintendo worldwide. The product is designed to allow distant gamers to interact with each other wirelessly through the Internet. Attached to a computer, the AP provides a wireless connection to the Nintendo DS via the computer’s Internet connection. The AP includes software, which notifies users when their Nintendo DS devices are within range. Users can establish a connection between devices with a single click. Once the initial connection has been established, subsequent connection is automatic.

For users without Internet access, Buffalo will develop and deploy Nintendo’s new access point - the “Nintendo Wi-Fi Station”. The service will be available at more than 1,000 video game retailers in Japan. Users can simply visit any location with the “Nintendo Wi-Fi Station” sign and use the service free of charge. Retail stores that sell Nintendo products will also provide service for free for Nintendo DS users. Buffalo will fully support the new Nintendo DS wireless service.

For more information on Nintendo DS and its gaming software, please visit www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/.
More information on Buffalo, Inc. can be found at http://www.buffalo.jp/.

About Buffalo, Inc.
Buffalo, Inc., based in Nagoya, Japan, is a leading global provider of award-winning networking, memory, storage, multi-media, LCD and other computer peripheral solutions for the home and small business markets as well as for system builders and integrators. With almost three decades of computer peripheral experience, Buffalo has proven its commitment to delivering innovative, best-of-breed solutions that have put the company at the forefront of infrastructure technology. For more information about Buffalo and its products, please visit http://www.buffalo.jp/.
Buffalo, Inc. trademark statements. Buffalo is a trademark of Buffalo, Inc. All other trademarks mentioned herein are the property of their respective owners.

http://www.buffalotech.com/press/news-detail.php?newsid=129

I'm curious - so is this basically equivalent to any ol' 802.11b/g USB adapter, except it defaults to ad-hoc connections (as opposed to looking for a router, by default)?

Update
from

engadget.com

"Nintendo seems to be going full steam ahead with the wireless capabilities of its DS; they have just announced a partnership with Buffalo Inc. that will bring WiFi gaming to both home and retail locations. For the home user, Nintendo will begin selling a USB WiFi dongle on November 25th that attaches to a gamer’s computer and acts as a de facto wireless router for multiplayer gaming. The partnership with Buffalo will also result in hundreds of “Nintendo hotspots” at videogame retailers in Japan, where “Nintendo Wi-Fi Stations” will allow users to congregate and connect free of charge. The home-use dongle will ship with Mario Kart DS, all for the low low price of $52."

gamespot.com

gamespot.com

Nintendo has announced that the USB Wi-Fi adapter will be available in the US on November 14, the same day Mario Kart DS is released. For those who don't have a wireless Internet connection, the adapter can plug in to a computer's USB port to create a Wi-Fi connection with the DS. The price is still unknown for North America, but Nintendo Europe will be selling the adapter for 30 pounds ($53).

Using its internal wireless functionality, the DS will be able connect to any wireless hot spot that is Nintendo Wi-Fi-enabled without a Wi-Fi adapter. It will use friends lists (theinquirer.net reports that users will be given 12-digit codes rather than names), and it will work for international competition. Further details are expected to come shortly.

Online play for the DS will be free for first-party Nintendo games, such as Animal Crossing: Wild World and Metroid Prime Hunters. It will be up to third-party publishers to decide whether to charge for online play in their games.

That's pretty amazing technogloy how they're able to do that. I thought it would be complicated, but that thing is no bigger or more difficult than a tiny flash drive.

I just hope it's not $50. $30 would be more reasonable.

OK, my question is this: Will the DS have an update that enables the wireless for standard WiFi routers or will our PCs need to download some app? Funny, I've been a network admin for 6 years and for some reason I can't wrap my head around this wireless network (as in how it will work without the adaptor).

I wouldn't mind gettin this. Plenty of my friends have broadband but no wifi router. But I'm just wondering, do you think laptops can catch the wifi off of this?

[quote name='Requiem']That's pretty amazing technogloy how they're able to do that. I thought it would be complicated, but that thing is no bigger or more difficult than a tiny flash drive.

I just hope it's not $50. $30 would be more reasonable.[/QUOTE]

Like gamespot.com posted for the adapter+Mario Kart:DS = $50, the adapter itself is estimated at $30.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Can I use this with Dial Up?[/QUOTE]

No. Broadband only. That is how all wireless works (and really the only way it can work).

[quote name='Strell']No. Broadband only. That is how all wireless works (and really the only way it can work).[/QUOTE]
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, because it's definitely possible to share a dial-up connection with wireless. The router doesn't care about the speed of the internet connection. It's certainly possible that Nintendo's online service will disallow connections below a certain speed, but if they don't then it should work fine.

[quote name='govegan']I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, because it's definitely possible to share a dial-up connection with wireless. The router doesn't care about the speed of the internet connection. It's certainly possible that Nintendo's online service will disallow connections below a certain speed, but if they don't then it should work fine.[/QUOTE]

You can't do wireless with dial-up. It is not possible. Unless you are referring to DSL as dial-up, since they both use phone lines.

But it is not possible to share a modem connection, utilizing phone lines and phone numbers to connect to a server, in conjunction with a wireless connection. It simply doesn't work. Since wireless is an "always on" connection, it demands an "always on" source, which can only be accomplished by DSL or cable.

Speed has nothing to do with it. I don't know all the technical details, but it has something to do with the way the IP is assigned via the DHCP server. I'd look it up but it doesn't change the fact that wireless won't work with a dial-up since it would assign an IP differently.

[quote name='Strell']You can't do wireless with dial-up. It is not possible. Unless you are referring to DSL as dial-up, since they both use phone lines.

But it is not possible to share a modem connection, utilizing phone lines and phone numbers to connect to a server, in conjunction with a wireless connection. It simply doesn't work. Since wireless is an "always on" connection, it demands an "always on" source, which can only be accomplished by DSL or cable.

Speed has nothing to do with it.[/QUOTE]
Maybe I'm just not completely following what you're saying, but I've helped a friend set up his house with a wireless network and he only has a dial-up connection. He can get on any computer in his house and browse with the lousy 56k modem in his desktop. Whether or not you'd find it worthwhile to do something like that is another question, but it works.

I will concede this - if you were to ALWAYS remain connected via a dial-up modem, then it *might* work. The router would remain connected and would broadcast out a signal, theoretically allowing you to use a DUN as WLAN.

But I highly doubt it for this reason - routers demand a LAN cable input. There's no modem cable input at all on any router I've seen in my life. I suppose it's possible, but if it is, then it is only used in highly specific situations.

And I know there's no way to share a dial-up through a LAN. There's way too much difference in signal/data handling that I can't see it working.

We definitely didn't use a standard router. I can't remember what it was, but it was different. I remember thinking it was a lot more trouble than it was worth. I guess even people with no broadband options want wireless, though.

I never really liked the term "always on," but I guess we're stuck with it. Every connection is always on until it's not.

I don't know. Wireless isn't really my thing. My house is already wired and I don't really have any devices right now which need wireless. I mean, I'll pick up Nintendo's little USB thing if it's not too much money. I'd rather do that than set up a wireless router, if only for the portability factor. I like the idea of being able to hook it up to anyone's computer to use their connection.

nice.... I am suprised that no one has noticed that this is also Revolution related, as Nintendo announced they were going to make an affordable router for the Rev as well (which was also stated that it will also be used for the DS). This thing is not a "Nintendo DS WiFi enabler" it's a "Nintendo Wifi", so it has universal possabilitys.... expect the first uses for this theng to be with DS game demos... (awsome... I can try more games out now before I buy them... smart move)

I heart this thing and I've only seen pics of it. If the Mario Kart bundle is $50, this will sell like hotcakes.

yes it would work on dial up. BUT. I dont think it will be really "working". You see, "packet loss" is very common in wifi. When you loses a packet, broadband has the speed to "repeat" the packet and re-request and retrieve it again. for dial up, once a packet is lost for quite sometime, you will experience BIG TIME performance hit already. So there is really no point of using a crappy connection like that since the server would possibly drop your connection when let's say you are playing an infrastructure game. (It's like the server auto kick a "Lagging player" in counterstrike when that very person lags more than preset limit of let's say 800mili seconds.

Aren't there third-party USB wireless router type-things already on the market? I mean, this sounds nice because I can just plug it in and go, but I'm just wondering what else is out there...

I hope Nintendo keeps dial-up users off Wi-Fi connection. I want it lag free, and dial-up connections are pretty much unacceptable for gaming (and everything else).

bread's done
Back